Legality of transporting alcohol

John F.

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
John F.
If an underage private pilot wishes to transport alcohol on board his/her aircraft for someone else (not for hire), is this legally allowed? I do understand that the chances of anyone knowing are nil anyway.

I pulled this off of Wikipedia, but I wouldn't want to push the issue while flying as well, might also depend on if crossing state lines, then it is a federal thing.

In the United States, a Minor in Possession, or a MIP, (also referred to as a PAULA, Possession of Alcohol Under the Legal Age) is a criminal offense, typically a misdemeanor.

Minor in possession? Don’t think anyone would look though.... it’s not like you’re going to get pulled over

I pulled this off of Wikipedia, but I wouldn't want to push the issue while flying as well, might also depend on if crossing state lines, then it is a federal thing.

In the United States, a Minor in Possession, or a MIP, (also referred to as a PAULA, Possession of Alcohol Under the Legal Age) is a criminal offense, typically a misdemeanor.

Is the MIP thing federal or state? (I don't think the FAA itself has an issue.)

I can't imagine anyone, even a cop, would actually care.

In this day and age,who’s going to care or check.

Not "legally allowed" but...I can't see how they could be caught, at least during the flying phase.

Who cares?

Also...who cares.
Yeah that.

Who’s going to know...seriously?

But anyway, now that we know you’re transporting alcohol as a minor, I’ll be turning you over to the authorities. Thanks for telling us all!

If caught, again, if caught how will a law enforcement officer be able to tell if the person is in possession or just transporting? Since it is in the plane it will more than likely be considered as in possession, unless there is a bill of laden, then the shipper may have a few questions to answer as to why a minor is allowed to transport alcohol....

Are we talking about a 6 pack or packing the plane as full as possible..??

If caught, again, if caught how will a law enforcement officer be able to tell if the person is in possession or just transporting? Since it is in the plane it will more than likely be considered as in possession, unless there is a bill of laden, then the shipper may have a few questions to answer as to why a minor is allowed to transport alcohol....

Are we talking about a 6 pack or packing the plane as full as possible..??

Brings up an interesting point. Is a 20-year old truck driver allowed to transport alcohol?

Sweet, the replies look like you're safe, Johnny. See you at Catalina KAVX like we discussed!

When ramp checked, the correct answer is, "it was OK when I took off."
No the correct answer would be: “it wasn’t in there when I took off.”

When ramp checked, the correct answer is, "it was OK when I took off."

Or.... this isn't my plane....

When people were caught smuggling alcohol into a dry village in Alaska, the first answer was usually "these aren't my pants.."

Brings up an interesting point. Is a 20-year old truck driver allowed to transport alcohol?

Good point. Have to be 21 to drive across state lines and/or carry hazardous materials..... Is ethyl alcohol considered hazardous..??

I was only holding it for a buddy.

I mean...only asking for a friend.

Yes illegal. The having, maybe/maybe not the flying. Although you can be pretty sure the FAA would think about adding to your problems. This would get filed under the stupidity category of "What was the pilot thinking?"

I question whether an insurance company would pay out in the event of a crash, depending on what evidence of the ethylated cargo were recovered.

I see we’ve got some funny people in here. I posted this because I’m with some distant family, and they wanted me to bring it back as a gift to my folks, but I’ve decided to opt out. Don’t want to take the risk in the event of an incident, as Islandboy pointed out.

I see we’ve got some funny people in here. I posted this because I’m with some distant family, and they wanted me to bring it back as a gift to my folks, but I’ve decided to opt out. Don’t want to take the risk in the event of an incident, as Islandboy pointed out.

If you're afraid to take this little a risk in life, well, I hope you come from money.

Last edited:
I think it's great that you're thinking about the legality of questionable circumstances, but this one is a bit ridiculous. Go ahead and do it.

Seal it up in a box, taped shut... you're going to want some padding in there anyway in case of turbulence...

Nobody's going to know what's in the box, nor care.

You loaded a box of crap into your airplane that looked kinda heavy, and you unloaded a box of crap from your airplane at the other end. Said box has written on the outside that it's a gift from X to Y. Done.

Make sure you do your W&B. Don't crash. End of story.

Nobody is going to search your bags. Just throw it in there and don't tell anyone. Nobody cares.

One of the wonderful things about being able to fly your own plane places is nobody is going to crawl up your butt with a microscope looking for problems. Even in the super incredibly unlikely event you get ramp checked, they're going to check your documents are in order and send you on your way. Nobody is searching your bags.

I guess it depends on the state... when I was a kid a friend had worked for a "beverage distributor" and was able to deliver beer (cases and/or kegs) to peoples homes... he was 18.

Most question: Is the alcohol being transported outside the body or inside..???

I'll be the bad guy.

I posted this because I’m with some distant family, and they wanted me to bring it back as a gift to my folks, but I’ve decided to opt out. Don’t want to take the risk in the event of an incident, as Islandboy pointed out.

Ask the seller if they can direct ship to where you want to take the stuff. If they say no, it's ONLY because there is a law against it.

To do otherwise is moronic.

Most question: Is the alcohol being transported outside the body or inside..???
Good point. Never thought about that..the answer could be a game changer...
I'll be the bad guy.

Ask the seller if they can direct ship to where you want to take the stuff. If they say no, it's ONLY because there is a law against it.

To do otherwise is moronic.
To do anything other than transport it back to his folks is moronic.

Paula Mip? I think she... Oh nevermind .

FWIW - I too would have been hesitant to transport alcohol as a minor - assuming I had to drive with it. The flying wouldn't have bothered to me. It's the getting to and from the airport that could really ruin your day. Get pulled over for a minor traffic violation, get an alcohol possession ticket, and have yourself a FAA bureaucratic medical nightmare. Not worth it.

I think some of these guys fail to understand how big of a mess it is in 2018 to get caught with alcohol as a minor. It's about as bad as being caught with cocaine as an adult. How many folks here would transport cocaine for a friend? I know that's extreme..but from a consequence perspective its damn near equal these days. Stupid..but is what it is.

Pretty unlikely to get caught with some common sense. Still doesn't mean it's worth doing when it doesn't matter in the first place.

F
I think some of these guys fail to understand how big of a mess it is in 2018 to get caught with alcohol as a minor. It's about as bad as being caught with cocaine as an adult. How many folks here would transport cocaine for a friend? I know that's extreme..but from a consequence perspective its damn near equal these days. Stupid..but is what it is.

I find that really bizarre.

FWIW - I too would have been hesitant to transport alcohol as a minor - assuming I had to drive with it. The flying wouldn't have bothered to me. It's the getting to and from the airport that could really ruin your day. Get pulled over for a minor traffic violation, get an alcohol possession ticket, and have yourself a FAA bureaucratic medical nightmare. Not worth it.

Pretty unlikely to get caught with some common sense. Still doesn't mean it's worth doing when it doesn't matter in the first place.
Actually, in our court system, the penalties are MUCH WORSE for alcohol offenses of any kind vs drug offenses.
You can collect from alcohol offenders, but rarely from drug offenders....by "collect" I mean fines, probation terms (drug offenders almost always fail long term probation), etc.

Have them box it up and wrap it if it's a gift. You don't even have to know what's in it.

Back