Legal pot in Colorado

Sanjay Gupta had a great piece on this on CNN. The origins of marijuana law were based on the lack of knowledge about the effect of THC on human physiology. The government then virtually banned anyone from discovering a benefit, thus self fulfilling it's own prophecy.

I suspect its intransigence is rooted in the profitability of interdiction policies on law enforcement agencies. Let's hear it of the states! I hope more follow on Colorado's lead.

The History Channel ran a documentary that claimed the impetus for Marijuana's prohibition in the first place came during the Depression. They claimed that it was used by a lot of Mexicans, and that the southwestern states were pushing for it because they didn't want them competing with U.S. citizens for jobs. :dunno:

Interesting trivia on local news.

Colorado was the first State of the Union to ban marijuana and the first to legalize it.

Meanwhile, a self-admitted truck driver called into local talk radio saying he moved to Colorado specifically because of the law change.

He uprooted his girlfriend and their two year old from Illinois and moved to Colorado so he could smoke pot daily. And then drive trucks on the road every day.

Great. We sure imported a winner there!

Nobody ever claimed that the stuff makes you smart.

Once he has his first random or 'reasonable suspicion' DOT drug test, he'll be out of a job.
How is your welfare system in CO ?

Interesting trivia on local news.

Colorado was the first State of the Union to ban marijuana and the first to legalize it.

Meanwhile, a self-admitted truck driver called into local talk radio saying he moved to Colorado specifically because of the law change.

He uprooted his girlfriend and their two year old from Illinois and moved to Colorado so he could smoke pot daily. And then drive trucks on the road every day.

Somehow I get the feeling that your local conservative news agencies are sifting through the rubble looking for dirt to spew.

-John

I happened to catch some news blurbs about CO today. Interesting contrast, pot is now legal, BUT Magpul (magazine manufacturer) is leaving CO and taking the jobs with them because they don't like the new law limiting magazines to 10 rounds.

My question: If everyone in CO is mellowed out and fully baked, why worry about mass shootings?

"Everyone"? What did they do, make pot use mandatory?

No one I know voted in favor of it.

I voted in favor of it. I disagreed with the exorbitant excise tax, but recognized that the state had us by the balls on it because if the tax was not passed, the money would have been cut from something else.

Sneaky move.

Regardless, this is how laws should work. State should always trump fed.

That, and Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC, the active ingredient of marijuana smoke) has never evinced any addictive properties at all. Compare that to nicotine, one of the most addictive substances known.

Moreover, were marijuana legal to purchase and vend it might be possible to filter out some of the more noxious elements of the smoke without filtering the THC. Might even be possible to make E-cigarretes delivering it. Heck, as is you don't have to smoke it. You can cook it into brownies or whatever else you like.

Sorry, the health argument is just so much smoke.

You once explained that smoking burning leaves causes your lungs to undergo drastic changes, akin to drowning if I recall. Certainly the burning of marijuana leaves is not differebt, right?

Regardless, this is how laws should work. State should always trump fed.

No. Can you imagine having 50 SAA's to deal with rather than one FAA. Oh, in California class B requirements are X, but in Texas they are Y. Oh, you're current in Mississippi if you do 3 T/O and landings in 60 days, but in Alabama it's 30 days, and in Idaho is 180 days.

Riiiiiiiight.

No. Can you imagine having 50 SAA's to deal with rather than one FAA. Oh, in California class B requirements are X, but in Texas they are Y. Oh, you're current in Mississippi if you do 3 T/O and landings in 60 days, but in Alabama it's 30 days, and in Idaho is 180 days.

Riiiiiiiight.
No one would fly to CA, problem solved.

State should always trump fed.

That would require a Constitutional amendment.

"This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding."

Riiiiiiiight.

Can you imagine driving, having to deal with 50 different agencies that set their own motor vehicle laws. In California, you have to park X number of feet away from a fire hydrant, but in Texas, its Y feet. Oh, and if you're in Mississippi, the max speed limit is 55, but in Texas, its 85.

The humanity!!

AKA - yes, I can imagine it. It is not as bad as you make it sound.

Last edited:
That would require a Constitutional amendment.

"This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding."

True.

That's why federal laws should only be made where needed, to keep citizens in Des Moines, IA from bearing the brunt of onerous laws that restrict their rights and freedoms because someone in New York City thinks it should be.

True.

That's why federal laws should only be made where needed, to keep citizens in Des Moines, IA from bearing the brunt of onerous laws that restrict their rights and freedoms because someone in New York City thinks it should be.

With the NYCs new mayor, I wouldn't really mind if it slid into the ocean. If you thought the old one was bad just wait and see how the new Commie destroys the cities economy.

Can you imagine driving, having to deal with 50 different agencies that set their own motor vehicle laws. In California, you have to park X number of feet away from a fire hydrant, but in Texas, its Y feet. Oh, and if you're in Mississippi, the max speed limit is 55, but in Texas, its 85.

The humanity!!

AKA - yes, I can imagine it. It is not as bad as you make it sound.

So who is going to hang the signs from balloons so when we cross into a new state we can read the SARs for each state? At least speed limit signs are posted.

True.

You mean, like say if NYC made up their own airspace laws that did affect citizens from other states?

True.

Citizens in New York City probably don't want to have their rights and freedoms restricted by the religious right in other parts of the country.

Citizens in New York City probably don't want to have their rights and freedoms restricted by the religious right in other parts of the country.

Or where CA says none of the products shipped into our state can be x, so every other state has to pretty much comply with CA law, because it's too much of a pain in the ass to have a CA production line, and an everybody else production line?

Like that?

Like those evil pro big-soda laws in the rest of the country.

"I believe in the freedom of choice! Except the right to choose how big of a beverage you want, and whether to choose between the funny looking light bulbs and the normal ones. I also don't believe people should have the choice to own guns, or protect their family. We need to adopt the UK system, which states to hide under the bed whilst clutching your picture of the queen and a cricket bat hoping the bad man doesn't find you."

- Every liberal ever.

Like those evil pro big-soda laws in the rest of the country.

"I believe in the freedom of choice! Except the right to choose how big of a beverage you want, and whether to choose between the funny looking light bulbs and the normal ones. I also don't believe people should have the choice to own guns, or protect their family. We need to adopt the UK system, which states to hide under the bed whilst clutching your picture of the queen and a cricket bat hoping the bad man doesn't find you."

- Every liberal ever.

I doubt that all liberals are alike any more than all conservatives are alike. Consider, for example, the lack of party discipline among Democratic politicians.

I doubt that all liberals are alike any more than all conservatives are alike. Consider, for example, the lack of party discipline among Democratic politicians.

I just wish we could all embrace Libertarianism and save the country.

Or where CA says none of the products shipped into our state can be x, so every other state has to pretty much comply with CA law, because it's too much of a pain in the ass to have a CA production line, and an everybody else production line?

Like that?

How would you propose to solve that problem? Would you prohibit states from passing their own laws if it affects what people do in other states?

So who is going to hang the signs from balloons so when we cross into a new state we can read the SARs for each state? At least speed limit signs are posted.

Where can I find the sign that says that in Maine, I must yield right of way to Mooses?

How about the sign that lets you know that an adult does not need to wear a seat belt in New Hampshire (actually, that might exist in specific verbiage that says that children must wear them.....)

Where can I find the sign in New Mexico that tells me that I am not allowed to carry a gun in my vehicle without a concealed permit license, unless it is in an unreachable area with the ammunition separated?

The point is that we deal with this in every facet of life, why should aviation be different?

As to your other point about New York City enacting airspace restrictions that affect people from other states - the same could be said about driving as well for states that prohibit access to certain areas or create one way streets that require you to navigate around the area.

The precedent is there.

Like that?

We dealt with that with tobacco. Once a few states created laws that required FSC implantation into the tobacco rod, we caved and put it in everywhere to avoid having multiple lines.

But if enough people stopped using the product because they did not like the taste of FSC, we would have gone back to doing it separately, or discontinued sales to California, New Mexico and Massachusetts.

Its called Free Market - and it also applies to governments who try to force the hand of those they have no authority over.

You're right. If New Yorkers would stop trying to force the country to be like New York, they'd be fine.

Iowa could enact some sort of "You must be a Christian" legislation, while New York can keep their "We have freedom of religion" clause.

Yeah if states could write their own aeronautical rules Disneyland would get a private sector TFR.:rolleyes2:

You once explained that smoking burning leaves causes your lungs to undergo drastic changes, akin to drowning if I recall. Certainly the burning of marijuana leaves is not different, right?

Not akin to drowning except the reduction in absorbed oxygen. Nonetheless the pulmonary epithelium is likely to sense marijuana smoke as an irritant similar to tobacco smoke and undergo the same inflammatory responses. Note I say likely. Research on this issue has not been the easiest to carry out.

That said, cigarettes are a habitual vice in which addicts indulge many times a day. Most people do not smoke marijuana all day, and those that do I would not mind seeing an early demise due to their uselessness. I doubt a joint on the occasional weekend is going to hurt you that much, though it is by no means good for you. That said, you don't have to smoke marijuana.

Yeah if states could write their own aeronautical rules Disneyland would get a private sector TFR.:rolleyes2:

That would be excellent since there would be no enforcement. The Disney TFRs are nothing anyway, I regularly get routed right through them.

Like that?

Don't forget that the Texas Board of Education (or whatever it's called) pretty much dictates the contents of K-12 textbooks for the entire country. Why? Because Texas buys more K-12 textbooks than any where else and te publishers really don't want to create 50 versions of American History or other text book.

This is much more scary than anything going on in NYC.

Don't forget that the Texas Board of Education (or whatever it's called) pretty much dictates the contents of K-12 textbooks for the entire country. Why? Because Texas buys more K-12 textbooks than any where else and te publishers really don't want to create 50 versions of American History or other text book.

This is much more scary than anything going on in NYC.

Why because American History books include information about the war of northern aggression?:D

You're right. If New Yorkers would stop trying to force the country to be like New York, they'd be fine.

Iowa could enact some sort of "You must be a Christian" legislation, while New York can keep their "We have freedom of religion" clause.

I've just noticed that both ends of the political spectrum have rights and freedoms that they want to restrict.

With the NYCs new mayor, I wouldn't really mind if it slid into the ocean. If you thought the old one was bad just wait and see how the new Commie destroys the cities economy.

I will enjoy watching the show, from far away. Been to NYC maybe 6X. Do not care if I ever go back(especially since I have to go through NJ to get there).

That would be excellent since there would be no enforcement. The Disney TFRs are nothing anyway, I regularly get routed right through them.

I've been through Orlando once, going to winter haven. Went right down the middle of the TFR at 2 maybe 3 thousand.

Back