Legal pot in Colorado

man this is making me hungry

Here ya go!

cheetos-crunchy.gif

"Rocky Mountain Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh, Colorado"

They would be entirely free to, on day one, send the DEA into every single shop that is licensed for selling pot, and charge all of the owners with trafficking, and every patron they found with possession.

As well as seize any property, assets and accounts, and prosecute any bank or financial institution with which they are doing business. The folks opening these shops and dispensaries or whatever they call them are taking a huge leap of faith.

There are many instances where local, state and/or federal law conflict. The more restrictive law always trumps.
Not always. In many cases (especially aviation), the Federal law preempts any attempt to create more restrictive state laws. Google "Federal supremacy" for more.

On the other hand, opening a complete line of artisan style all-natural potato chip and snack shops right next door would seem a pretty safe bet...

I am always reminded of the great Bloom County commentary.

yqu4yzuh.jpg

They would be entirely free to, on day one, send the DEA into every single shop that is licensed for selling pot, and charge all of the owners with trafficking, and every patron they found with possession.

You must be a lot of fun...

Wait till the Feds see how much tax revenue their missing out on, I'm surprised it's not part of obamacare.

The best functioning, most aggressive, progressive, fastest growing company I've ever worked for (besides my own, of course) was run by three "hard working hard partying" dudes. Not all potheads are lethargic.

Far from it.

Last edited:
As well as seize any property, assets and accounts, and prosecute any bank or financial institution with which they are doing business. The folks opening these shops and dispensaries or whatever they call them are taking a huge leap of faith.

Yes they are, the problems the medical MJ "industry" ran into in MT was that no one would do business with them, i.e. no banks would take that risk. We declined to lease out office space to one on the grounds it was still not OK with the feds.

Turns out, we made a good choice, when the DOJ decided to go back on their word not to prosecute and start prosecuting, they got landowners and everyone else they could get their hands on.

On another note. The folks who surfaced to run the MMJ shops were the same seedballs that had been operating underground. You can guess how well that turned out.

It might work out, but the folks in CO will need to be able to stomach the riff raff of these folks coming out of the woodwork.

I thought the potheads from the 60s are now all the uptight liberals at the Federal level nowadays? ;)

There was a long radio program this morning on local talk radio about how the airport would be handled. Verdict: TSA isn't going out of their way to find drugs but if they do, they'll notify Law Enforcement. Idiots calling in saying not to check it in baggage but carry it on because they'll ignore it in a carry on. (Where are you going to fly to that it's legal on the far end? Washington State?) LOL!

Of course they don't specify which LE agency, so if they call Denver PD, they'll be laughed off the phone. If they call the hut, hut, Federales with "assault" rifles and " tacti-cool" black pants to match their spiffy cell phone cases, you're probably going to Federal prison.

LOL. It's all pretty stupid overall. I don't think anyone was having a hard time finding recreational pot (especially in Boulder -- go to the rich liberal cities if you want drugs, everyone knows that) in the last 40 years, if they wanted it. The referendum(b) that made it legal just opened the door to taxation and licensing by local government and total confusion whenever Federales get involved.

Pot is way better for you than alcohol. If it was legal I wouldn't hesitate to smoke it. I really hope in 10 years it's legal....I'd rather deal with a bunch of potheads driving slow on their way to Wendy's than a bunch of drunk drivers doing 10 over and killing people.

This is the man that was primarily responsible for the illegalization of marijuana and what he had to say on why it should be banned.

If you aren't revolted and sickened by this, you should be. It's fairly appalling.

2e7yty5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:
Question: will the people in jail for pot possession be allowed to go free,
or sentences modified? Obviously it was a crime at the time but imagine being in jail for something and being on year one of your 10 year sentence and tomorrow it is no longer a crime.

Was reading the news this morning and got my wheels spinning.

Depends, did Colorado privatize the prison system? You gotta remember that there's a lot of money in locking people up.

Depends, did Colorado privatize the prison system? You gotta remember that there's a lot of money in locking people up.

More than you think. Colorado has led the way with programs to use all that free labor and no one can get any straight answers out of the privately held businesses that use the prisoners about how much profit they're making.

If you buy farm-raised fish at a Colorado Whole Foods, chances are way above 80% that fish was farmed by Canon City inmates.

Pot is way better for you than alcohol. If it was legal I wouldn't hesitate to smoke it. I really hope in 10 years it's legal....I'd rather deal with a bunch of potheads driving slow on their way to Wendy's than a bunch of drunk drivers doing 10 over and killing people.

Really ? So ingesting smoke from an unfiltered cigarette is a good thing for lung tissue ?

It will be an interesting social experiment to be sure. After attending my 25th High School reunion I noticed that very few of the big time stoners from back in the day were present. The ones that were ALL seemed to share the same trait - a devout lack of anything resembling ambition. Two of them agreed that they would really have it made if they could just get on with the Post Office and were hoping to be called in for an interview. I think maybe within as soon as five to six years we should be seeing some results of this (or lack thereof) in Colorado.

I've often opined that if we wanted to put a crimp in China's working class all we need do is have a predator drone fly over and drop some marajuana seeds !

So those firefighters that die from smoke inhalation - that's all just a big myth ?

If you asphyxiate yourself or your lungs get burned from hot gasses, that's one thing. Most pot heads don't do that. How about all the drunks that die from liver and pancreas failure?

If you asphyxiate yourself or your lungs get burned from hot gasses, that's one thing. Most pot heads don't do that. How about all the drunks that die from liver and pancreas failure?

The medical epidemiology show a far greater amount of health problems related to and stemming from smoking than to drinking alcohol.

The morality of drug use cracks me up. The lower class all use drugs and their lives suck, we presume causation and blame the drugs. I'm not convinced I think they would be that way regardless. What's funny is the upper class uses more drugs then the lower class, difference being they can control it or in worse cases afford to hide it. Just the dumb schmucks in the middle class abstaining and moralizing. We're clean sober and smart as we march off to work to make our stoned masters richer.

You must be a lot of fun...

Just telling it like it is. That said, if a Federal agency did carry out such an action once the laws were established and entrenched there would be considerable political backlash. Moreover, said backlash would have a wide-ranging political base, since many who deplore Cannibis use would nonetheless bristle at the exercise of Federal authority against established state laws.

Just telling it like it is. That said, if a Federal agency did carry out such an action once the laws were established and entrenched there would be considerable political backlash. Moreover, said backlash would have a wide-ranging political base, since many who deplore Cannibis use would nonetheless bristle at the exercise of Federal authority against established state laws.

I'd like to see it happen, frankly, just to get some precedents on the books, one way or the other. Or to have the will of the people reflected in legislation as a result of the incidents.

Ideally, I'm for treating drugs (all drugs, actually) the same way as alcohol. Use what you like to screw up your life. That said, I'm aware that some drugs may be addictive with minimal exposure, and those drugs may need to be treated differently.

I'd like to see it happen, frankly, just to get some precedents on the books, one way or the other. Or to have the will of the people reflected in legislation as a result of the incidents.

Ideally, I'm for treating drugs (all drugs, actually) the same way as alcohol. Use what you like to screw up your life. That said, I'm aware that some drugs may be addictive with minimal exposure, and those drugs may need to be treated differently.

Can't disagree Tim. I would prefer a regulated legalization and taxation scheme to the interdiction scheme we now have in place that works poorly and is putting way too many of our countrymen behind bars.

Pot smoking? Please, present the evidence.

What makes you think inhaling smoke from pot is any different from inhaling smoke from tobacco ????? Inhaling smoke is NOT conducive to healthy lung tissue. I don't know how you could think any differently. Daily usage would lead to the same problems that daily usage of tobacco would see - emphysema, hypertension, stroke and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.

If you think it's better because marajuana is "organically" grown then you're really in La-La Land ! Just because it calms you down and gives you the munchies doesn't change the source of that cough which by the way is your body's way of telling you you're doing something you shouldn't be. Smoking is smoking.

Here is a fun new pilot game for those of you living near CO. Get 10 of your airport buddies to fly into a CO airport VFR without flight following. Hang around for a couple hours then fly out of the state, again VFR without flight following. You win the game if you are assaulted by the DEA/DHS/ATF.

What makes you think inhaling smoke from pot is any different from inhaling smoke from tobacco ????? Inhaling smoke is NOT conducive to healthy lung tissue. I don't know how you could think any differently. Daily usage would lead to the same problems that daily usage of tobacco would see - emphysema, hypertension, stroke and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.

If you think it's better because marajuana is "organically" grown then you're really in La-La Land ! Just because it calms you down and gives you the munchies doesn't change the source of that cough which by the way is your body's way of telling you you're doing something you shouldn't be. Smoking is smoking.

Because of what's in the smoke.

Much of it has to do with quantity. Most casual marijuana users are not inhaling nearly as much smoke as most smokers do on a daily basis.

Much of it has to do with quantity. Most casual marijuana users are not inhaling nearly as much smoke as most smokers do on a daily basis.

That, and Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC, the active ingredient of marijuana smoke) has never evinced any addictive properties at all. Compare that to nicotine, one of the most addictive substances known.

Moreover, were marijuana legal to purchase and vend it might be possible to filter out some of the more noxious elements of the smoke without filtering the THC. Might even be possible to make E-cigarretes delivering it. Heck, as is you don't have to smoke it. You can cook it into brownies or whatever else you like.

Sorry, the health argument is just so much smoke.

Back