Legal pot in Colorado

Smart marijuana farmers will realize this is just the beginning of the end. Soon as we get federal easing, then this will become another central/South America import product sold retail cheaper than a U.S. Producers cost. Bye, bye, to another group of U.S. Jobs.

Smart marijuana farmers will realize this is just the beginning of the end. Soon as we get federal easing, then this will become another central/South America import product sold retail cheaper than a U.S. Producers cost. Bye, bye, to another group of U.S. Jobs.
Part of the opposition to CA legalizing pot was the hippy growers up North realizing if it was legal proper large agriculture business would wipe them out. Funny stuff.

Here is a fun new pilot game for those of you living near CO. Get 10 of your airport buddies to fly into a CO airport VFR without flight following. Hang around for a couple hours then fly out of the state, again VFR without flight following. You win the game if you are assaulted by the DEA/DHS/ATF.

High five, best game ever...

I really need to do that in the Cherokee Six I fly for work. Maybe I wouldn't have to work any more after that?

Researchers who wanted to study marijuana had (have?) been hamstrung by the DEA since the 60s. They had to jump through numerous bureaucratic hoops, and use only marijuana provided by the government, which in quality was only a step or two above commercial hemp. Even their results were intensely monitored by government, and if positive for its use, fiercely contested before results were allowed to be released.

This ended up, since most research was done on university campuses, as casting serious doubt on our governments objectivity. Most all government research reports were pretty much ignored no matter what their content or claimed results.

Governments zeal to ban a substance that was widely used and understood by most all except government, ended up casting doubt on the validity of any government claims regarding any matter, governments credibility has been permanently tarnished.

-John

I'd like to see it happen, frankly, just to get some precedents on the books, one way or the other. Or to have the will of the people reflected in legislation as a result of the incidents.

Ideally, I'm for treating drugs (all drugs, actually) the same way as alcohol. Use what you like to screw up your life. That said, I'm aware that some drugs may be addictive with minimal exposure, and those drugs may need to be treated differently.

Colorado legislature set legal limit for DUI as 5 mg or whatever. Unfortunately there are no definitive studies that identify or define an amount for impairment. As some medical users have stated, they can have more than the limit in the body at all times but exhibit no motor or cognitive skill impairment. So the "definition" is waiting for a court challenge the first time it's used for a DUI.

Colorado legislature set legal limit for DUI as 5 mg or whatever. Unfortunately there are no definitive studies that identify or define an amount for impairment. As some medical users have stated, they can have more than the limit in the body at all times but exhibit no motor or cognitive skill impairment. So the "definition" is waiting for a court challenge the first time it's used for a DUI.
But this can't be a new issue since there were a certain number of people arrested driving under the influence of marijuana (and other substances) before. If they were not in possession there must have been some other process to prove that they were impaired.

But this can't be a new issue since there were a certain number of people arrested driving under the influence of marijuana (and other substances) before. If they were not in possession there must have been some other process to prove that they were impaired.

It is tricky as standardized field sobriety tests don't test for non alcohol impairment.

However if you told a jury that someone was all over the road and stunk of burnt weed when pulled over you might just win the case.

There were people camped out overnight in freezing temps at the stores last night for the 8AM legal opening of the stores this morning.

Pretty sure Colorado has gone full retard.

There were people camped out overnight in freezing temps at the stores last night for the 8AM legal opening of the stores this morning.

People camp outside in the rest of the country to buy even stupider of things.

From what I've heard about prices in CO, it would probably be a lot cheaper to buy it from your local high school student pharmaceutical entrepreneur. (Save the taxes) :D

-John

Are those idiots any worse than the ones camping out for a new i-phone or x-box ?

True. So you're saying the whole country has gone full retard. Pretty sure you're right.

Long gone full retard, actually, so far gone calling it retarded is an insult to retards. A bag of weed, a next generation iPhone, the latest toy for the kid at Toys R Us, concert tickets... been going on as long as I've been alive.

They would have to be pretty seriously out of touch to need a store to obtain it, though perhaps the absence of legal opprobrium was really what they sought. after all, legally purchasing marijuana is indeed a novel experience for most Americans.

They would have to be pretty seriously out of touch to need a store to obtain it, though perhaps the absence of legal opprobrium was really what they sought. after all, legally purchasing marijuana is indeed a novel experience for most Americans.

It's been a staple of the California diet for a few years now.

It's been a staple of the California diet for a few years now.

Only for medical purposes, which is the same as eighteen other states and the District of Columbia.

Guess I'll factor in some more time on the trip home from skiing in Colorado for the SWAT team that meets me in Dallas. I'm sure returning home from Colorado will give them probable cause in their mind.

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
Have not read the thread.

But I think this legalization is one of the coolest things to happen in my lifetime.

As part of the "Woodstock Generation" (and, yes, I was there) I only ask, "What took so long?"

Have not read the thread.

But I think this legalization is one of the coolest things to happen in my lifetime.

As part of the "Woodstock Generation" (and, yes, I was there) I only ask, "What took so long?"

Sanjay Gupta had a great piece on this on CNN. The origins of marijuana law were based on the lack of knowledge about the effect of THC on human physiology. The government then virtually banned anyone from discovering a benefit, thus self fulfilling it's own prophecy.

I suspect its intransigence is rooted in the profitability of interdiction policies on law enforcement agencies. Let's hear it of the states! I hope more follow on Colorado's lead.

Sanjay Gupta had a great piece on this on CNN. The origins of marijuana law were based on the lack of knowledge about the effect of THC on human physiology. The government then virtually banned anyone from discovering a benefit, thus self fulfilling it's own prophecy.

I suspect its intransigence is rooted in the profitability of interdiction policies on law enforcement agencies. Let's hear it of the states! I hope more follow on Colorado's lead.

I posted Dr. Guptas Narrative earlier in the thread, although I do not believe any of the nay-sayers read it.

Guess I'll factor in some more time on the trip home from skiing in Colorado for the SWAT teem that meets me in Dallas. I'm sure returning home from Colorado will give them probable cause in their mind.

LOL - Reminds me of the comment from a customs agent in India, "you could smuggle a *lot* of gold in this" when we imported a jack-up drilling rig.

Bet that KA could hide a *lot* of pot...

I don't use the stuff, but always worry about a passenger that may and think nothing of it.

Best,

Dave

If this were truly the case then all the wineries in northern CA would have closed a long time ago when the Chilean wines hit the market. People have always been willing to pay for quality products when it comes to fun.

If this were truly the case then all the wineries in northern CA would have closed a long time ago when the Chilean wines hit the market. People have always been willing to pay for quality products when it comes to fun.

Just for conversation: I believe the reason the Cal. wine producers didn't fail was because of the advent of modern mechanical grape harvesters, the tourism factor (visiting the wineries), and marketing.

Perhaps to your point the CA pot growers will react in kind. Large corporations will buy up the productive fields. Tourists will visit and harvest their own out of little sample crops and learn all about the "Natural" way to cultivate Marijuana, etc. If that happens then the U.S. producers have a chance.

If it is a strait up labor intensive agricultural commodity, then I stand by my prediction.

Perhaps to your point the CA pot growers will react in kind. Large corporations will buy up the productive fields. Tourists will visit and harvest their own out of little sample crops and learn all about the "Natural" way to cultivate Marijuana,

The only reason MJ is grown indoors at this point is that it is not legal. Once it becomes just another row-crop, it will move to wherever the right soil and climate conditions exist. I doubt that the acreage used for that crop will ever amount to anything significiant, maybe the same as what is used for cucumbers at this time. Right now, it is also pretty labor intensive, once legality is not an issue, someone will mechanize it.

The only reason MJ is grown indoors at this point is that it is not legal. Once it becomes just another row-crop, it will move to wherever the right soil and climate conditions exist. I doubt that the acreage used for that crop will ever amount to anything significiant, maybe the same as what is used for cucumbers at this time. Right now, it is also pretty labor intensive, once legality is not an issue, someone will mechanize it.

Do they machine pick sweet corn yet? Harvesting quality pot is a somewhat delicate operation.

Don't forget that the target market for pot is pretty nearly a 100% overlap with the "locally grown, organic" segment of the population. That's a lot of inertia supporting domestic production right there.

48d.jpg

335.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Don't forget that the target market for pot is pretty nearly a 100% overlap with the "locally grown, organic" segment of the population. That's a lot of inertia supporting domestic production right there.

I wouldn't think even close to 100%, pot smokers span the entire spectrum of people.

Your conservative overlords also consume illegal substances, this is one issue the local, organic crowd isn't hypocritical on.

Back