Led wingtip strobe lights

I had the same situation. Went with Orion 650s. Keep the original wing tips for a while but they didn’t fit properly. Ordered Stene tips designed for Orion LEDs.

I installed Orion 650's in my 78 Decathlon last month after my power supply died. Great piece of kit and happy to get rid of that ridiculous brick. New lights have same footprint as old lights so drop-in.
strobe.jpg Photo Jul 07, 17 19 29~2.jpg IMG_20200914_212708.jpg

Dang what a monstrosity...
I think they left the turret and tracks behind.

Last edited:
Go on here and send James an email, and he'll be able to let you know what you need. He also has the best prices on Whelen stuff anywhere.

https://www.gallagheraviationllc.com/

Good info.
Also, I did negotiate with Knots2u and got a great price, so that is another option to try.

For those who have put in the Orion 650's, they are approved, and all needed paperwork is available correct?
I ordered those, and new fiberglass tips as @bnt83 did. They should be here soon.

For those who have put in the Orion 650's, they are approved, and all needed paperwork is available correct?
I ordered those, and new fiberglass tips as @bnt83 did. They should be here soon.

The 650's are STC approved for a large AML. They are also TSO'd. Documents are available at the WAT website.

I don't understand FAA processes, but as it was explained to me, the STC came first, which required a 337. That requirement was later supplanted by TSO status (edit: PMA approval), so that they can now be installed as a minor alteration with a logbook entry. There are pages of debate over this topic on PoA and elsewhere on the interwebs.

Last edited:
The 650's are STC approved for a large AML. They are also TSO'd. Documents are available at the WAT website.

I don't understand FAA processes, but as it was explained to me, the STC came first, which required a 337. That requirement was later supplanted by TSO status, so that they can now be installed as a minor alteration with a logbook entry. There are pages of debate over this topic on PoA and elsewhere on the interwebs.

You have it backwards. the TSO came first, which is a component level manufacturing approval to an FAA standard.

The STC is an FAA approval for the installation of the part onto aircraft listed in the AML.

Generally:
STC = Approved instructions for modifying an aircraft.
TSO = Component Approval. In this case factors of light qualities etc, and manufacturing processes.
PMA = Is also a component approval but not the same as a TSO.

I don't understand FAA processes, but as it was explained to me, the STC came first, which required a 337. That requirement was later supplanted by TSO status, so that they can now be installed as a minor alteration with a logbook entry.
To add to the above, in order to sell an article/part a vendor needs a design approval and production approval (Part 21). An STC is only a design approval and is applicable to single or multiple type certificates (TC) depending on which type STC used: One Only STC, Standard STC, AML-STC, or Non-Interference STC. A TSO is a design and production approval and is applicable to a technical standard and not a TC.

Since an STC is not a production approval vendors will use a TSO or a PMA, or in some cases a Production Certificate (PC), to produce (manufacture) the parts designed under a STC. An STC will also provide a TC based installation approval, if needed, whereas a TSO does not provide an installation approval. Whether the part installation is considered a major alteration, i.e., requires a 337, that is determined by the installer per Part 43.

Back