Learning how to fly in a Piper

just started my training (ground school) for my private. Chose Piper to fly. Cirrus looks beautiful but its expensive. and i am not sure if i'd be a fan of the left hand stick.

Can't stand the fuel selector. You would think Cessna has a patent on the "both" or something.

Hate the levers also. The lock is OK, but fine-tuning the mixture is way too touchy. Not as easy as gently turning the knob..

The older Pipers (e.g. Cherokee 140's) have knob throttle and mixture controls, but the mixture isn't a vernier. This is also the case with certain old Cessnas. Those are PITA's in comparison. I like levers a lot better than either, and have no issues dialing in the mixture.

The overhead trim crank on older Pipers looks kind of funny, but it's actually not difficult to use.

i would say the biggest difference between a lownd high wing can be notices during the landing. A low wing airplane usually lands with a lesser nose up attitude than a high wing. The sink rates are also noticeable between both types of airplanes. other than that once in the air they pretty much fly the same.

just started my training (ground school) for my private. Chose Piper to fly. Cirrus looks beautiful but its expensive. and i am not sure if i'd be a fan of the left hand stick.

Unless your are in the copilot seat, you'll be using your left hand on the yoke and right hand on the throttle anyway. Maybe biggest adjustment for a CFI is to reverse hands

Unless your are in the copilot seat, you'll be using your left hand on the yoke and right hand on the throttle anyway. Maybe biggest adjustment for a CFI is to reverse hands
I'm a lefty. When I started my CFI training I was so confused

Ha!
That is the first time I've ever heard a reasonable explanation for it! Thank you!! I've even gone so far as to ask a Piper employee on the factory tour and got the same answer from him as I have from everyone else I've ever brought it up to... shrugged shoulders.

Get two straws and a cup of water. Put both straws in your mouth at the same time. Put one of the straws in the cup of water and the other just open to the air. Try to suck water up the straw and see how much you get. There's your answer, and it's science, and it's fun!

Don't forget that the Cherokee rudder steering actually works but Cessnas are fat pigs and you have to use brakes to make them turn. Just pretend you're sitting in a cool Tiger. :)

Otherwise, don't sweat it! Flying another airplane is a very useful lesson: you learn what you miss about the previous one. :)

Most importantly: HAVE FUN!!

Back