Learning how to fly in a Piper

FloridaPilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FloridaStudentPilot
So here is the story.

It was tough to find a Flight Instructor for me because I don't have a flying background and I finally found one and I enjoyed flying. He bailed on me because he went to the airlines and I am happy for him.

My ultimate goal is to purchase a Cirrus SR22 but should I start learning in a piper? instead of a Cessna 172 which I have about 10 hours in? I met an instructor that trains in Pipers because the Cessna's are not available for the time slots that I am available.

How tough is the transition?

Non issue. Unless you can find a SR-20 for training, it doesn't really matter whether it's a piper or a cessna, high wing or a low wing. Either way, your transition training will take care of everything needed to get you comfortable in the -22 no matter what you learn to fly.

It won't make much difference. If possible you should try to find a flight school with a Cirrus since that's what you plan on flying later on.

They are different, but it really won't matter.
Cross training might add to your flight training experience, anyway.

It'll be fine. The Cherokee line is in many ways more docile than the 172. From what I recall of your previous posts, you just need to focus on getting some training under your belt. Hopefully the instructor you found is not time building.

Small Piper's practically fly themselves like a 172, so I'm voting it'll be a non-issue.

You'll still have a standard T-pack.

If you have the money ,take the training in a cirrus.

If you are serious about purchasing an SR22 and its not just a dream, I would find a school that can train you in an SR22 so your insurance premiums will be better when it comes time to purchase one. Having time in a Piper because its a low-wing doesn't do anything to help with the insurance premiums.

I started in a Cessna 172, moved into a Piper Archer then Bought a Cessna T182T, sold it and just bought an SR22T. The 315hp SR22T felt like a lot of airplane at first coming from a 235hp T182T and my insurance rates were ridiculously high moving from the T182T into the SR22T with over 300 hours in my log book. I was also required to do Cirrus transition training which is likely something you would not need to deal with if you were trained in an SR22.

If you are serious about purchasing an SR22 and its not just a dream, I would find a school that can train you in an SR22 so your insurance premiums will be better when it comes time to purchase one. Having time in a Piper because its a low-wing doesn't do anything to help with the insurance premiums.

I started in a Cessna 172, moved into a Piper Archer then Bought a Cessna T182T, sold it and just bought an SR22T. The 315hp SR22T felt like a lot of airplane at first coming from a 235hp T182T and my insurance rates were ridiculously high moving from the T182T into the SR22T with over 300 hours in my log book. I was also required to do Cirrus transition training which is likely something you would not need to deal with if you were trained in an SR22.

I'm a total beginner, I was told that a Cirrus SR22 would be too much airplane for a person just starting out. So far I took an intro flight in one and they are fast!!

Only cirrus I knew of for rent in Tampa area was pretty expensive. Piper will be pretty hot in Florida. Unless of course it has ac.

Yep,

You are probably talking about the one at the Clearwater Airpark. A little bit too far from where I live, (48X).

As a side note I drove by Wimauma Air park the other day. Looks like another grass strip!

I was told that a Cirrus SR22 would be too much airplane for a person just starting out.

I have meet a few people that did all of their training in the SR22. I'm pretty sure you would be fine if you did the same. Likely would be the best route if that's the airplane you will be buying. You really wouldn't know any different.

..Save the $$ and learn in whatever then do the transition training to the SR22.

Pipers are awesome! You'll love em!

I'll toss in one thing that I haven't seen mentioned: I learned in C-172s and still fly them mostly. When I get in a low wing my initial "look before turning" is the wrong direction. I look toward the turn because the high wing will come down an cover that part of the sky. I have to think about it to look away from the turn because the low wing comes up to cover that part of the sky. I'm sure after a little while it's no issue, but it's one advantage of the Piper when transitioning to the Cirrus.

You will lose a little ground transitioning from the Cessna to the Piper, but it should be minimal.

John

The toughest part about a transition from a Cessna to a Piper is getting in the door. :D

There is pretty much zero difference in the transition from a PA28 to a Cirrus versus a C172 to a Cirrus. In deciding on your training program, focus on the instructor more than the make of airplane -- that's what's really important.

The only gripe I have about Pipers is that they can get hot as HELL in the summer. Taxi with the door hanging open. Cessna windows can be opened (unless you train in a Cardinal -- kinda rare).

Other than that, they are somewhat easier to fly than Cessnas, especially for visibility in the pattern. It will make little difference, if any.

I'm hesitating about using a Warrior for instrument training mainly for the heat issue. I probably will give in. And that's in California (which has been a bit on the hot side recently). It can only be worse in Florida.

Keep in mind, though, that for instrument training, you don't spend much time on the ground, and at my current stage, almost entire lessons are at 6000 feet. For primary training, it's gonna be a bit different.

The only gripe I have about Pipers is that they can get hot as HELL in the summer. Taxi with the door hanging open. Cessna windows can be opened (unless you train in a Cardinal -- kinda rare).
I'm hesitating about using a Warrior for instrument training mainly for the heat issue. I probably will give in. And that's in California (which has been a bit on the hot side recently). It can only be worse in Florida.
If heat is your concern, train in a Grumman. Crack the canopy open about an inch and you're cool as the proverbial cucumber. :wink2:

Other than that, they are somewhat easier to fly than Cessnas, especially for visibility in the pattern. It will make little difference, if any.

Keep in mind, though, that for instrument training, you don't spend much time on the ground, and at my current stage, almost entire lessons are at 6000 feet. For primary training, it's gonna be a bit different.
Yea. It's a sauna. I was flying all day saturday and was dying.

Non issue transitioning. Big issue cabin heat wise in summer.

I'm a total beginner, I was told that a Cirrus SR22 would be too much airplane for a person just starting out. So far I took an intro flight in one and they are fast!!
The Air Force trains ab initio in SR22. Naturally it's going to cost you more, so do your calculations.

Buy or build an ice chest air conditioner, lasts more than an hour and feels fantastic in really hot weather. Your instructor may want to borrow it for use when flying with other students.

My PA-24 is just as bad in the heat, you can tell when you get back to pattern altitude from cruise because you start sweating again. No need for the altimeter

All the planes you're talking about are trainer trikes, kinda interchangeable, just pick the cheapest one and get your PPL, transition shouldn't take more than one flight and 1 to 1.5 on the Hobbs. :dunno:

I transitioned from Cessnas to my Piper.

Biggest differences:
Getting in the door.
Preflight is different due to door location.
Sight picture is slightly different due to low-wing/high-wing
Flaring is much different. Cessnas you reach for the stars and Piper feels like your flat.
Taxiing feels much different. They have different nosewheel linkages so a Piper feels much stiffer/harder than a Cessna. (This could be a PA-32 thing only)
The amp gauge is different. Cessnas show discharge (0 is good) and Pipers show draw (0 is bad).
Pipers have an all-in-one pitot/static stack and Cessnas don't.
Piper nav lights are mysteriously hidden. Actually, they're attached to the interior panel lights. Took me 6 weeks and a visit to BGF_Yankee's airport to figure out my nav lights weren't broken. He showed me how they work when I mentioned to him they weren't working. lol...

That's all I can think of right now. Overall very minor differences. Pipers are great planes to fly. I like mine better than a Cessna.

Last edited:
There are a few more.
Electric stall warning
No both position on fuel selector
Standard rudder trim (optional on 172s)
Levers for throttle and mixture (no vernier)
No left door
Windows don't open
You can see where you're turning

But, honestly, they really aren't that different to fly.

There are a few more.
Electric stall warning
No left door
Windows don't open

Also add using the fuel pump for takeoff and landing and big difference is the stabilator vs elevator. They handle quite differently. But nonetheless it's a non issue transitioning.

There are a few more.
Electric stall warning
No left door
Windows don't open

Can't stand the fuel selector. You would think Cessna has a patent on the "both" or something.

Hate the levers also. The lock is OK, but fine-tuning the mixture is way too touchy. Not as easy as gently turning the knob..

Can't stand the fuel selector. You would think Cessna has a patent on the "both" or something.

Hate the levers also. The lock is OK, but fine-tuning the mixture is way too touchy. Not as easy as gently turning the knob..

"Both" can't work on a low wing, with one empty tank. It works fine on a gravity-fed high wing. The weight of no fuel is … nothing.

I transitioned from Cessnas to my Piper.
Piper nav lights are mysteriously hidden. Actually, they're attached to the interior panel lights. Took me 6 weeks and a visit to BGF_Yankee's airport to figure out my nav lights weren't broken. He showed me how they work when I mentioned to him they weren't working. lol...

That's all I can think of right now. Overall very minor differences. Pipers are great planes to fly. I like mine better than a Cessna.

Funny you mention this. My first night training flight, in a Piper Warrior, I preflighted the entire plane, and thought I found the switch for the nav lights. When I hit it, nothing happened. So naturally, I thought there may be an issue there. Being night, I figured I would mention it later, and I got the can for a different Warrior, and in that one, I could not find the switch at all. At this point I asked. The CFI showed me where it was in the second plane, and then I mentioned the other plane's issue. So he took me to the other plane and showed me there was a secondary nav switch in that one. At which point he laughed and said he should have warned my about that, and the switch was basically in a different location in almost every Warrior the school has.

Funny you mention this. My first night training flight, in a Piper Warrior, I preflighted the entire plane, and thought I found the switch for the nav lights. When I hit it, nothing happened. So naturally, I thought there may be an issue there. Being night, I figured I would mention it later, and I got the can for a different Warrior, and in that one, I could not find the switch at all. At this point I asked. The CFI showed me where it was in the second plane, and then I mentioned the other plane's issue. So he took me to the other plane and showed me there was a secondary nav switch in that one. At which point he laughed and said he should have warned my about that, and the switch was basically in a different location in almost every Warrior the school has.

Ha!

MAKG1 said:
"Both" can't work on a low wing, with one empty tank. It works fine on a gravity-fed high wing. The weight of no fuel is … nothing.

That is the first time I've ever heard a reasonable explanation for it! Thank you!! I've even gone so far as to ask a Piper employee on the factory tour and got the same answer from him as I have from everyone else I've ever brought it up to... shrugged shoulders.

Rest your hand on the quadrant, and use your thumb and forefinger gently wrapped around the mixture (or prop) lever, so you can squeeze fore and aft for a fine tune control.

Cirrus rental will cost way more $$$$ to learn compared to Piper. I started in Cessna 172 and finished in Piper Archer. Piper is more fun to fly IMHO. Unless you plan to buy a Cirrus, train in less expensive aircraft. I flew a brand new Cirrus after getting my license and it wasn't that difficult to transition.

Cirrus rental will cost way more $$$$ to learn compared to Piper. I started in Cessna 172 and finished in Piper Archer. Piper is more fun to fly IMHO. Unless you plan to buy a Cirrus, train in less expensive aircraft. I flew a brand new Cirrus after getting my license and it wasn't that difficult to transition.

Thanks for the comment!

In the Tampa Bay area I have seen a Cirrus for Flight training and the distance is too far away for me to consider. The flight instructor in my area has only Pipers available in my time slot. I have been up in a Piper before (A long time ago) and I was wondering if I should:

#1. Find another school with Cessna's available in my time slot.

#2. Fly the Piper instead to finish up my time.

#3. Purchase a cheap Cessna or Piper and find a valid instructor to fly with.

I would like to take IFR right after!

Thanks!

It doesn't matter. Seriously.

I just tried out a Warrior as an alternative for my instrument training yesterday. It will do just fine. So will a correctly-rigged 172 (the issue was that the "regular" 172 needed constant left aileron to fly straight and remain coordinated at the same time).

Just don't goose your CFI when reaching for the trim wheel. :D

Back