Lazy people

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
ya gotta love ‘em. How hard is it to roll the fuel hose back up after you’re done with it? My guess...it wasn’t a local.

<and no...it wasn’t me>

092E5958-9D64-456C-876F-FEDB65C3B732.jpeg

People like that suck

Might not know how. Just sayin'. Way back when I used to teach, I taught my students how to do it.

Maybe the return is broken?? Or Yankees?
Yeah let's go with Yankees
It wasn’t broken. I rolled it up in a matter of a minute or two.

Might not know how. Just sayin'. Way back when I used to teach, I taught my students how to do it.
That’d be pretty pathetic. They know how to fuel the airplane, but can’t figure out how to roll the hose back up? Man...

I always roll it back up, but honestly I often wonder why I’m doing it. It’s usually not in the way and its actually more effort for the next guy to roll it back out again.

It wasn’t broken. I rolled it up in a matter of a minute or two.

That’d be pretty pathetic. They know how to fuel the airplane, but can’t figure out how to roll the hose back up? Man...
Millennials then? Dunno...

I did have the pilot of a brand new Cirrus ask me how the self serve pump worked. I didn't hesitate to show him the right way the first time.

If there’s only self serve, I’ll usually just fly to the next airport with full service. Can’t be bothered with pesky tasks that are done by plebs and unwashed masses.
I imagine that @SixPapaCharlie used to be like that until he downgraded to a Grumman. Now he has to use the commoner pilot's facilities. I felt odd when I went into Signature once.

I thought they all had a push button to roll-up the hose.
Unless I just didn’t notice it, there isn’t one here. It’s all done the old fashioned way! :)

Yeah might have been a new pilot who just didn't know, a lot of guys just fly in and out of their full service home airport and are completely clueless the first time they see one of those.

Unless I just didn’t notice it, there isn’t one here. It’s all done the old fashioned way! :)

Well then it's a waste of time. When I worked at a flight school at an airport with a manual crank, it was the locals that left it out, and the transients that rewound it. Why put effort into doing something that will take even more effort to undo for the next person to use it? Most of the time I was the next one person after me to have to use it again anyway. That said I would leave the loose part of the hose neat, not a snaked up mess like the one pictured.

Well then it's a waste of time. When I worked at a flight school at an airport with a manual crank, it was the locals that left it out, and the transients that rewound it. Why put effort into doing something that will take even more effort to undo for the next person to use it? Most of the time I was the next one person after me to have to use it again anyway. That said I would leave the loose part of the hose neat, not a snaked up mess like the one pictured.
I can see your point to some extent, but it’s just a common courtesy I suppose.

Then there's the middle ground between button and manual with spring assisted.

Personally, now that I fly a Mooney, I just carry a butler with me at all times so I never have to deal with pesky things like fuel.

ya gotta love ‘em. How hard is it to roll the fuel hose back up after you’re done with it? My guess...it wasn’t a local.

<and no...it wasn’t me>

View attachment 75377
I always roll it back up, but honestly I often wonder why I’m doing it. It’s usually not in the way and its actually more effort for the next guy to roll it back out again.

See @Ryanb? He was just being courteous. :D

Depending on the maintenance and age of the equipment, yanking and fully extending the hose all the way on ours would leave it impossible to reel in with the button. Ours had a metal shroud so you couldn't manually retract it without taking the cover off.

Ours was spring assisted and it was nerve wracking trying to get it to start retracting without taking a finger off.

Leaving the hose unfurled is no where near as bad as dropping the grounding clamp and letting the inertial real drag it all the way in. That does cause eventual damage.

<and no...it wasn’t me>

View attachment 75377

When I saw that picture, my first thought was they were too lazy to place the fueling station at a proper right angle, not about the hose.

The flip side is waiting to fuel when the guy at the pump looks over at you, then carefully rolls the hose back up, instead of offering to leave it out for you.

"So this is how common folk live"

Especially given the superior Mooney's typical useful load of 19 lbs
That’s a odd criticism of a mooney.

That’s a odd criticism of a mooney.
Odd.. but also "tongue 'in' cheek"

BTW, I thought some more about this whole "spool up the hose" thing.. I've left it unspooled before actually when I was filling up at Big Bear and there were three planes waiting behind me, it was actually a cool group, one was a Sling 4, an RV-something, and a 210. I went to go hit the button and the dude behind me told me to just leave it.. it made sense in that case I guess since it saved us both time and steps

**Also, maybe the guy actually did not know how.. my first time dealing with a self service pump was after my PPL, and probably once I had about 200 hours. I must admit, it was something I wish I had done with my CFI at least once, or twice, to just figure out proper protocol with the credit card machine, etc. It's not rocket science to figure out, but, you know

The one at Harris Ranch is actually great, very simple to use, basically just like a car gas station one

I did have the pilot of a brand new Cirrus ask me how the self serve pump worked. I didn't hesitate to show him the right way the first time.

I learned flying at a class-D without self serve. The flight-schoool had a fuel contract so there was never a reason to fill up away from base. So I was one of those people who needed a tutorial on how to fill up the plane without poking a hole in the fuel bladder. Luckily my CFI knew that this was a potential issue and taught me how to fuel sometime during the checkride prep period.

Back