Landing at VFR Minimums

Ok so this have bothered me for a while and it does every now and then.... it seems if I keep the nose of the plane aligned with the centerline, the aircraft nose wheel will be on the centerline, but that's not the fact....why?? My CFI taught me in centerline with ur mid torso, and it works

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

See midlife's explanation. But here also is a photo I posted awhile back. The camera is on the extreme left side of the cockpit, and it looks like the nose of the airplane is closer to the right edge of the runway than the centerline. But the airplane is on the centerline, which is dead-center in the camera's field of view.
landing-png.34422

this brand? :)
black_2_50.jpg

Actually I don’t have any Fap Off tools. :)

Surprisingly really, considering that I’m a sucker for tools.

I hear they make nice torque wrenches. Wouldn’t know.

I laugh a little too hard at AvE pulling and grunting on a ratchet and then saying “CLICK!” real
loud, since frankly, I’ve pretty much always had to do that from when I was young and broke. Never actually said “click” but I’m sure there’s a Toyota head out there somewhere that’s torqued to “that feels about right” and various other automotive fasteners who got similar shade tree mechanic treatment from me.

Nowadays I can afford a decent torque wrench and haven’t had to take an engine apart in forever. Probably never will either. A used junkyard (no offense to Mikey) engine is easier to slap into any of my old beaters than rebuilding any of them at this point. Other than the Cummins.

And I have a guy for the Cummins. He’s too good to ruin his work my letting me wrench on it. Haha. Hell, he’s also a C-130 driver. Dude is better at everything than I am. Haha. I’m not too proud to pay him. :)

@dembro I enjoyed the video. I like the guy. I generally don't like music in the video if it's done during flying, but as intro and outro is fine. He could hook the audio up where there is just a little engine noise in the background when not talking. I hear it that way in a lot of videos. Subscribed.

Doesn't look too bad, plenty of contrasting features on the ground...try that over tundra or a frozen lake and the visibility could be 3 miles or could be 10, it would look the same.

I've never really landed off center, so I can't confirm that....but it sounds interesting.
Some people just get it. And some are given guidance to center themselves to begin with.

There's a demo I've done with some pilots to convince them it works. It just involves stopping on a taxi line (on the ramp), getting out of the airplane and looking where the wheel is,

Some people just get it. And some are given guidance to center themselves to begin with.

There's a demo I've done with some pilots to convince them it works. It just involves stopping on a taxi line (on the ramp), getting out of the airplane and looking where the wheel is,

That’s how I finally learned.

Re: landing to the left of the centerline...

It’s very common. I think two factors contribute to it.

1) In an airplane with a yoke, as a pilot’s left hand pulls back on it, it’s easy to subtly pull down on it at the same time. The same thing in reverse from the right seat.

2) Many, if not most, pilots are taught to gradually shift their view towards the runway edge during the flare. This is to pull their focus closer to the plane without having the panel block their view. There’s a natural tendency for the body to follow the eyes, so it’s almost a reflex that when the eyes shift left the plane follows. Again, the same thing in reverse from the right seat.

At the threat of a derail, when I see pilots with landing problems, I first focus on where they’re looking. If I block their view down the runway, forcing them to look to the side, that’s often accompanied by a pull left as they look left. But all it takes is a bit of practice to divorce the two things.

Just watched the video. Good job!

As an instructor, I’m always primed to criticize every little thing. Very little to criticize here.

When faced with a 12+ minute video, I almost always fast forward to the “good parts”. The editing and pacing here kept my attention all the way through.

I especially loved the verbalization of “outs” all the way home.

Again, job well done!

I liked the video....one of the better ones I have seen. The music? I thought it was OK and was appropriately brought in and out at the right times.

Centerline landing - I knew when I saw it you would get comments from this site. This site has a ton of experts.

One other thing, for those that don't fly a lot in single digit temperatures, snow at those temperatures is not a problem. It definitely does not stick to anything and in most cases is less of a problem than rain. Now, if the temperature creeps up to freezing and above, and the snow turns into larger flakes and becomes "wet" - that definitely becomes a problem.

I lived for several years in central PA and I don't really miss flying in the winter time up north. It is miserable to preflight an airplane and the days of flyable weather are rare - you pretty much have to fly near the minimums or else you would not fly for several months. I can remember going what seemed like weeks and never seeing the sun.

Good job and I enjoyed.

I just got around to watching the video. Well done! Great back-and-forth over the decision to divert, comfort levels, etc. Music wasn't terrible...certainly better than no music at all. And that tower controller at the end, she's great...superb enunciation and she didn't talk too fast.

That controller is the best!

@dembro I enjoyed the video. I like the guy. I generally don't like music in the video if it's done during flying, but as intro and outro is fine. He could hook the audio up where there is just a little engine noise in the background when not talking. I hear it that way in a lot of videos. Subscribed.

A little engine noise wouldn't hurt at all. Thanks for the feedback and watching!

1) In an airplane with a yoke, as a pilot’s left hand pulls back on it, it’s easy to subtly pull down on it at the same time. The same thing in reverse from the right seat.

I was saying to @mjburian last night that I don't remember landing left of centerline when I flew J3s, but it's something I've been trying to figure out in the Cessna. Wonder if this has anything to do with it. More practice required! And thanks for the kind words on the video - excited to make more content!

I liked the video....one of the better ones I have seen. The music? I thought it was OK and was appropriately brought in and out at the right times.

Centerline landing - I knew when I saw it you would get comments from this site. This site has a ton of experts.

I knew I'd get comments too! But if the worst you all have to say is watch your speed on short short final and land centerline I think I'll be alright. :cool:

I was saying to @mjburian last night that I don't remember landing left of centerline when I flew J3s, but it's something I've been trying to figure out in the Cessna. Wonder if this has anything to do with it. More practice required!
In the J3, putting the airplane on the centerline is the same as putting yourself on the centerline, so it's more "intuitive" (to use that overused term).

Looking forward to more videos from you.

Yep.

Maybe you can, but a student is a whole 'nuther ball o' wax. As you know, there are many benefits to reducing airspeed to nearly a stall when you're two feet off the deck.

That's where a proper CFI factors in, I'd say at first solo the student should be beyond that type of rookie crap, I know mine were, that's really a super basic fundamental thing.

As far as requested feedback for the video, I liked it as well...and agree that it kept my attention.
The music? Appropriately timed and not too much. Just a tad loud, but that's probably because I'm old :)
Overall a good video, and also agree that it was great commentary.
And a bonus food review!

Just for fun, here is another video where I thought the music was pretty good. A guy on his first 3 solo touch & go's right after the CFI jumped out.
The music gets close at about the 2:30 mark, then again at 7:30

Last edited:
Just for fun, here is another video where I thought the music was pretty good. A guy on his first 3 solo touch & go's right after the CFI jumped out.
The music gets close at about the 2:30 mark, then again at 7:30

That’s a great video. I love watching first solo videos because it brings me right back to the day of mine. Those landings were much better than mine and there was a lot less bawling on his than than mine after the taxi off on the last one.

Back