Kobe Bryant dead in helicopter crash

Discussion in 'Aviation Mishaps' started by jallen0, Jan 26, 2020.

1. 47PILOT

47PILOT Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    47PILOT
    Looks like he made a left turn to the south from the 118fwy to the 101 fwy over the north end of the San Fernando valley then was going to follow the 101 west. He was following the 101 over the Calabasas grade and it looks like just as he got to the bottom of the grade, maybe visibility was quickly dropping and he tried to make a 180° turn.

2. jspilot

jspilot Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    jspilot
    Wow— thanks for clarifying. So essentially he was almost in a box canyon type situation geographically?

Tony Long likes this.
  3. benyflyguy

benyflyguy Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    benyflyguy
    Have to imagine terrain avoidance was blaring.

4. James331

James331 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    I don’t know too much about the reqs for that aircraft, but isn’t a S76 a IFR ship with AP, SV, TCAS, TAWS and all?

5. CRQFlier

CRQFlier Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    CRQFlier
    The freeway runs through a pass with various peaks on either side. Not knowing "exactly" where he turned, it might have been more "natural" to turn left and attempt to maintain visual ground contact. No idea. But the coastal weather here clouds/layers can blow in and out very very quickly on days like today with very different conditions half a mile one side to the other.
    Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

6. Ryanb

Ryanb Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    Camarillo and Oxnard both have approaches.

7. 47PILOT

47PILOT Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    47PILOT
    And from more than one witness account, they could hear it directly above but could not see it. Kinda tells me he lost visual reference of the ground

8. Bell206

Bell206 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bell206
    FWIW: It depends on the config but since it was a 1991 model I would guess it had a 2 channel autopilot and a complete IFR panel. Not too many had TCAS or TWAS but dual RadAlts were common. However, since they were SVFR doubt any of it would have mattered within the stated time frame and altitude.

9. CRQFlier

CRQFlier Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    CRQFlier
    I think someone mentioned thousand oaks as the destination - dropping it somewhere other than an instrument approach airport.

10. Pilawt

Pilawt Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pilawt
    The last ping on Flightaware has them going 152 mph.

Tony Long likes this.
  11. SToL

SToL Line Up and Wait

Bush Alaska, Colorado Rockies & Valley of the Sun
    Display Name:

Display name:
    SToL

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    Tony Long likes this.
  12. Ryanb

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    That’s just bad ADM if that’s the case.

13. Mooney Fan

Mooney Fan Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mooney Fan
    Even on our IPads we can see terrain. I'm thinking maybe a mechanical issue. And the speed on impact raises concerns. A combination of get their itis and weather = challenge. In hindsight, IFR into CMA and a 20 minute UBER were the right answer

Hunt-man likes this.
  14. CRQFlier

CRQFlier Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    CRQFlier
    Never mind. Just listened to the BUR and CMA was mentioned by the controller as destination.

Ryanb likes this.
  15. dreyna14

dreyna14 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Daniel
    Why not just file IFR if the destination is CMA? I was shooting approaches in the area at that time and it was easy least today.

Ryanb likes this.
  16. Ryanb

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    That’s the question we all want answered.

17. fire67bird

fire67bird Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    fire67bird
    Pilot went max climb moments before losing radar contact. That probably explains the witness reports of hearing the engines struggle. Sadly this is starting to look preventable. RIP to all lost.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  18. Peter Anderson

Peter Anderson Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    SVTPete83
    Looks like a sudden climb from 1400 to 2000 right before radar contact was lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

19. CRQFlier

CRQFlier Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    CRQFlier
    Everyone is guessing. Maybe they were in fact planning to land somewhere near the mamba academy - pretty well short of CMA. No clue.

20. James331

James331 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    I don’t get SVFR when you’re IFR qualed and equipped.

The marine layer over there is common enough I’d think a experienced crew in a very nice ship, as kobie had the $$$, would know when to just say F’ it and go IFR, or at least have a solid IIMC plan

ETres, jspilot and Ryanb like this.
  21. jspilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    jspilot
    We are all guessing but that looks like a pretty good one.

Curious to know from the helicopter guys and gals, what’s the climb rate for a helicopter like this fully loaded like this one appears to have been?

Your guess @fire67bird is why I’ve been wondering why the pilot turned into steeper terrain rather than just try and go to lower terrain and buy himself some time to figure out his options.

22. Ryanb

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    Always a possibility, but their speed was pretty much consistent the entire flight, except during the time they were holding while waiting for the SVFR clearance. With that said, I don’t think the high airspeed is anything that would indicate a mechanical abnormality.

23. eman1200

eman1200 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    eman1200
    ""Individuals that saw the aircraft said it was coming down at a fairly significant rate of speed and impacted the ground on the hillside," he told reporters."

24. Jamie Kirk

Jamie Kirk Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    JamieK
    It was traveling over 150mph directly towards raising terrain. It would have looked to most people casually glancing to be descending rapidly is my opinion.

25. eman1200

eman1200 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    eman1200
    yeah, I dunno, just posting a quote. we all know about typical witness testimony......

26. Lando

Lando Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Lando
    Since it’s a helicopter, what would keep the pilot from simply slowing down to a hover and turning around if the ceiling was lowering significantly in front of him?

ETres and mryan75 like this.
  27. The-Flying-Lawyer

The-Flying-Lawyer Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    TFL
    Fixed-wing ignoramus here - if a helicopter is in a canyon, runs into a problem, and wants to turn around, why doesn't it just slow to a hover, spin 180 degrees, and leave the way it came? I'd envy that choice.

Tony Long, ETres and mryan75 like this.
  28. flyingron

flyingron Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    Not IFR equipped? Not IFR rated?

kath likes this.
  29. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doc Holliday
    Yea, lots of luck on that one. The S76 can be flown SPIFR. And I doubt the insurance provider would have accepted a pilot on the S76 with no instrument rating.

Ryanb likes this.
  30. GRG55

GRG55 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Aztec Flyer
    Flying VFR, having to ask for SVFR, low altitude, low ceilings, terrain.
    Unfortunately, this has ALL the fingerprints of CFIT.
    A mechanical issue is possible, but not probable as a contributing factor in this instance.

He was following the Ventura Highway and at that forward speed it's not difficult when everything is grey to suddenly and unexpectedly lose forward visibility or even solid reference to the ground. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes: The turn into higher terrain suggests a loss of positional awareness.

What surprises me is that the forward speed remained so high. In the one and only instance I've been in a helicopter that encountered unexpected low visibility the pilot brought the forward speed to a crawl. It was a 206 JetRanger, we were doing pipeline route survey work and we had exited mountainous terrain east of the Continental Divide and were moving straight east over flatter, lower ground. Flew into a local snow squall and ended up easing our way slowly a few miles to the nearest rural airport, landing and waiting it out over a nice lunch in town.

Is it possible that there are pilots qualified to fly this type of large helicopter that don't maintain IFR currency on type?

Ryanb likes this.
  31. NoHeat

NoHeat En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    SToL likes this.
  32. Doc Holliday

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doc Holliday
    Agreed

Considering the owner, I would highly doubt it. FlightSafety has Level D Sims for the S76, and I would guarantee the insurance provider requires annual training.

GRG55 and Bell206 like this.
  33. Bell206

Bell206 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bell206
    But if no IFR approach to your destination....
    Money has never been an indicator of common sense. Why not have 2 pilots on board? Unfortunately plenty of examples of where money doesn't always work out... like the PC-12 in Wisconsin.

34. Doc Holliday

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doc Holliday
    Cockpit of N72EX [​IMG]

woodchucker and Stephen Poole like this.
  35. GRG55

GRG55 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Aztec Flyer
    Seems very strange then that they would put up with a circuitous route through the LA basin and spend ~15 minutes going in circles waiting for a SVFR clearance instead of filing IFR. Perhaps the answer to that will come out in the accident investigation.

Not difficult to file somewhere nearby with an approach, get in close and cancel IFR.

36. SToL

SToL Line Up and Wait

Bush Alaska, Colorado Rockies & Valley of the Sun
    Display Name:

Display name:
    SToL
    It's always possible, but insurance would be the big stickler... However, it's my guess (and this is only a guess) that they didn't really have a destination, as much as a journey. I think they wanted to remain low because they wanted to see things, specifically the Mamba camp.

To file IFR would have meant to climb and be on a flight plan. This would have prohibited remaining low to see whatever it was they wanted to see.

Again, this is just my guess.

GRG55 likes this.
  37. Doc Holliday

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doc Holliday
    They were going to an off airport site. Had they flown IFR, the pilot would have had two options, 1) Fly to the site and request a descent to VFR. With ceilings running 1100 to 1500 feet and the terrain, I doubt the terrain clearance would have got them down to VFR. 2) Fly to an airport and fly an approach, however they would have still had to fly to the landing site. Of course, the best option would have been to land at Burbank or Van Nuys and had a limo drive them to the site.

ETres, Ryanb and GRG55 like this.
  38. jspilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    jspilot
    I’ve been looking st that topo map posted earlier in this thread just trying to figure out why the pilot turned left into higher terrain and the only thing I can think of is for the previous part of the flight a turn left or right would have likely made little difference up until he started to parallel the mountains. I know it’s been mentioned that the highway diverts there and he was probably trying to find that ground reference through the clouds but when the crap hit the fan and he presumably lost reference to the ground it looks like he lost positional awareness too or forgot he had made a turn to parallel the mountains( although it’s been mentioned he circled for a while so I could see how it could be easy to just lose where you are in the world even with a ton of tools at your disposal.)

Besides wondering what the climb rate is for a helicopter like that, my flat lander pilot ignorance on display has led me to another question— whenever a plane descends below a safe altitude for their radar position, by me, the ATC calls out something like “low altitude alert, check altimeter setting immediately.” Is that not true/possible/even a procedure for mountaneous terrain? I have not listened to the ATC recordings here but just wondering if ATC could have given more notice here?

39. GRG55

GRG55 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Aztec Flyer
    I've been flying VFR in serious mountainous terrain right from when I got my PPL in 1974. I cannot ever remember ATC saying anything of the sort. If one is VFR and requests flight following ATC will tell you if you are too low for radar coverage, or will inform you in advance if they expect to lose coverage, at which point flight following will terminate. Neither is necessarily in any way an unsafe situation when VFR. The former is exactly what ATC did in this instance.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    wrbix likes this.
  40. CRQFlier

CRQFlier Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    CRQFlier
    plenty of safe altitudes in SoCal where radar contact is lost and FF is cancelled by ATC. All well known and warned by ATC. "You'll need higher to maintain radar contact in 5 miles." is a typical warning. With that said, we also get frequent WX with mountain obscuration noted. Basically, tops of local mountains covered by low clouds. These peaks are typically below 4k feet but cloud bases often 1k feet or lower (1000-1500 msl).

3 in the green likes this.