Knocking out the written before solo

jmn107

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jmneal
Hi all, I am curious how common this is to knock out the PPL written exam before getting too far along in flight training, specifically soloing. I ask because I am thinking about getting back into training after an almost 2-year break from the cockpit. Between Covid, having my first child, and a new job, I took a break from training. Just didn't have the time to devote. I have about 25 hours and was on the cusp of soloing. I do realize I will have to almost start over with flight training with this much time off but I think if I can knock the written exam out, I will have more time in the spring to devote solely to the flight portion.

As a side question: Can one complete a Sporty's ppl course and go straight into the written or is a sign off from a CFI required.

Thanks for any thoughts.

I got the written & medical behind me before I started flight training. If you knock out all the barriers first,flight training is easy & fast. Do it. You’ll be a better,more knowledgeable, student pilot with the written behind you.

Reactions: WDD
Nothing wrong with it at all to me. I will usually solo my students prior to the written, but in order to keep them moving won't sign an additional 90 day endorsement until they get it done. Just remember you have 24 months after taking the written to get the checkride done. Plenty of time, but it will sneak up on you.

That is actually what motivated me to take a couple of checkrides over the years. My written was set to expire, and it was now or never!

I did the written before starting flight training for the Sport cert. my CFI went over the appropriate ground topics before and after each training flight. worked well for me.

Can one complete a Sporty's ppl course and go straight into the written or is a sign off from a CFI required.
For Sporty’s and the other home study systems, the practice exams are “logged” as taken and so are the results.

Once you post two or three results above a certain level (usually 85%), you can request the vendor email you the endorsement to take the knowledge exam. Print that out, clip it with scissors, and tape it to your logbook endorsement page. That will satisfy the requirements dictated by FAR §61.35(a)(1)

It's very common. Probably more often than not these days with group ground schools and self-motivated test prep. Good and bad. The downside is lack of context.

I was a true aviation geek.... took and passed my written the 1st time, several years before my 1st lesson...just because.
I was attending a Community College at the time...had always been interested in planes but at that point it barely occurred to me that it might be something I could do. Saw that they were offering a "continuing education" style night class....FAA Ground School...so I signed up. I figured I'd learn a bit about aerodynamics which interested me, maybe feel out this idea a little bit, etc....
Of course it had expired by the time I was able to pull the trigger....so took it again. I have no memory though of when I took the for real one.
Pretty sure I did a similar thing for the other written exams as well...instrument and commercial. took them ahead of time I mean, or at least very early on in the process....

My opinion.... the written part is the hard part for most folks. I can imagine it weeds out some folks who don't have that much heart in the idea.... Good idea then to get a start on it early, even if you don't finish it before flight

I like to have my learners pass the written before I solo them because they lean about airspace, airport procedures and radio communication. It allows me to be less restrictive in the solo limitations.

I like to have my learners pass the written before I solo them because they lean about airspace, airport procedures and radio communication. It allows me to be less restrictive in the solo limitations.
On the other hand, the first few solos are pattern work. I took/passed the written test after solo but before XC, although I had been studying for the written around the same time I started flight training.

Similar, but I ask it be done before XC training. Leading up to solo I have them visiting the local Class D’s and uncontrolled doing all the radio work. I also grill them on the airspace’s on our side of the DFW Bravo and airport procedures (towered and non-towered).

I also offer a tutoring session or two to help reinforce subjects they are challenged by and boost confidence.

I did my PPL and IFR written before ever sitting in a real plane. Great way to start your adventure!

I did my PPL and IFR written before ever sitting in a real plane. Great way to start your adventure!
So next week you’re taking your ATP written?

Gotta say it...

So, one day, my primary CFI turns to me and says, "Don't you think it's time to take the written?"

First lesson April 13
Knowledge test October 14
Checkride December 14

(No, I never noticed before how almost exact the day if the month was)

I’m planning on starting training next year from the beginning. So all of you are saying I could save some money by getting a Kings or Sporty’s lesson, self teach and take the exam before even getting in a plane? Sounds pretty awesome. Do any of you recommend specific courses?

I tell students that just before the XC stage of training, but really it doesn’t matter a lot.

I also did the ppl written before training, as well as with IFR.

Good way to spend winter bad flying time; leave the good weather for flying.

Sportys or Kings are great choices.

Hi all, I am curious how common this is to knock out the PPL written exam before getting too far along in flight training, specifically soloing. I ask because I am thinking about getting back into training after an almost 2-year break from the cockpit. Between Covid, having my first child, and a new job, I took a break from training. Just didn't have the time to devote. I have about 25 hours and was on the cusp of soloing. I do realize I will have to almost start over with flight training with this much time off but I think if I can knock the written exam out, I will have more time in the spring to devote solely to the flight portion.

As a side question: Can one complete a Sporty's ppl course and go straight into the written or is a sign off from a CFI required.

Thanks for any thoughts.
The one thing you don’t want to have happen is you being ready for the checkride and having to scramble to get the written done. Plus then you’re dividing your prep time between checkride and written. And I know the King course gives you a signoff for the written.

As does Sportys. When you get good enough on the practice tests you take the “final” on line. When you pass that you unlock a certificate / endorsement that you print out and take to the test facility

I'm currently studying up for my IFR written before I even book a lesson.

I did that with the PPL - I used Sheppard Air and studied like a mad man. It was complete rote memorization, I didn't understand half the crap/questions that were asked but I aced the written. Then during actual flight training, I would supplement what I learned in the cockpit with Rod Machado's PPL material and King's ground school at nights. Light bulbs were popping like crazy because I'd start connecting what I had memorized on the test with underlying concepts and fundamental knowledge. TONS of "Ah ha!" moments.

Forgot about Rod M course - I got his scanning course. Excellent - highly recommend it.

Might be different if I was flying for the big carriers - but the amount in the written dedicated to reverse VOR sensing, reverse ILS, SID, Stars, Victor highways - takes away from what I’m really going to use - such as how to copy a clearance/ CRAFT, what is the protected side, etc

Last edited:
It would be nice if they had something like a private ifr written and a commercial ifr written.

Back