King Schools Multi Engine - Worth It?

RocktheWings

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
RocktheWings
Have my multi commercial add-on coming up in a few weeks and getting a jump on the studying. I've had good success with King for all my other certs/ratings, but $250 seems like a lot for what seems like a relatively simple add-on. Anyone use it and like it? Any other good resources? I've read the FAA publications and some other materials, but feel I do best with well structured videos.

Thanks!

Two books to suggest:

Welcome to Twin Time: Multi Engine Training
by Tamara "CFI Mom" Griffith.

Tamara is local to me and one of the preferred MEI's in the area. Beware the giggle coming from the right seat.... as you are about to lose an engine.... again!​

The Complete Multi-Engine Pilot
by Bob Gardner.

Bob is a member of PoA, @bobmrg. His "Complete Pilot" Series and "Say Again, Please" are very popular and well written.​

Never took their full course, but my MEI I did my multi rating let me borrow their multi engine video.

It was worth what I paid for it.

Would never give them a dime.

You’d be much better off with Bob’s book.

Years ago, I bought the King multiengine videos, back when they were on VHS. Can't recall the price, but maybe $50-75? I've always thought that it was a really good program, lots of good footage, etc. But, yeah, $250 now seems too much.
The above mentioned books should do it. And, I second the recommendation for Martin Pauly's youtube vids, really well done.

I studied the ACS and AFH. Took my CP MEL ride 2 weeks after I got signed off with my CP SEL ride. The DPE felt that I was very well prepared for both rides. I didn't pay for any additional courseware or study guides. (Maybe a career in the Army flying helicopters helped :eek:)

The Complete Multi-Engine Pilot
by Bob Gardner.

Bob is a member of PoA, @bobmrg. His "Complete Pilot" Series and "Say Again, Please" are very popular and well written.​

Martin Pauly posted videos covering the engine loss "drill" and Vmc, and I found those to be incredibly helpful as well:
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/twin-training-the-drill-after-losing-one.116015/

I have been doing almost exclusively multi-engine ratings for the past 6 months. I use the Gardner book as my textbook and Martin's videos as my training videos. That, in addition to the POH, is pretty much all you need as far as study material goes.

I too, agree on the King tapes as too much.
I used the King tapes for my Instrument rating back in early ‘90’s.
Marvelous cure for insomnia!
I recently downloaded their free CFI prep/renewal online test. After approximately 10 practice tests, I identified at least three practice test questions That the correct answer is wrong. In fact one question didn’t have a correct choice. (Has to do with Class G airspace VFR minimums at night...).

-Be sure to print off a copy of the FAA Aviation circular “Flying light twins safely”. Available at faa.gov
Though dated, it’s the starting point for studying for the ME practical.

-Be able to diagram and explain the operation of the constant speed propellor as applicable to the ME aircraft. (ie: full feathering propellor).
-Know the maximum “zero fuel ramp weight” of your test aircraft.
-Be able to diagram and explain the aerodynamics of single engine operation of a light twin. Particularly the accelerated slipstream with non-counter rotating props. (Hint, It’s a HUGE deal if dealing with a popped open door on a B55/58 Baron).

-Lastly, be instrument current and proficient before starting the ME training. That is the biggest detriment and impediment I see in my ME students. It’s a lot more expensive to get current/competent in a ME than a Cherokee or Skyhawk.

Last edited:
I used Sporty’s video series before my commercial add-on. I like their presentation of the material. The oral was really focused on the systems and POH so time spent studying them is worthwhile. I recall being quizzed on identifying a failed turbo in flight and action steps (I was using a turbo Seneca for the ride).

Jim

I would agree that the King course is not worth it. However the books that are recommended above are excellent, IMO.

Martin Pauly posted videos covering the engine loss "drill" and Vmc, and I found those to be incredibly helpful as well:
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/twin-training-the-drill-after-losing-one.116015/
In addition to "The Drill" the the Vmc videos, here is a 90-minute ground school session with Doug. It covers most of the topics you should be familiar with for your multi-engine checkride.

Back