Kids at Christmas

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Every year at Christmas, I re-earn my dad stripes by drinking heavily and assembling what ever bicycle, scooter, race track, doll house must be placed under the tree the following morning.

There is the cussing at missing parts, extra parts, stripped screws.
There is the complaining about unreadable instructions.
There is the crying when the beer runs out.

But every year it continues to be a rite-of-passage, building some piece of plastic in my pajamas next to a fire while the kids sleep in the other room.

*sigh*

So the trampoline arrived Tuesday.

In boxes it sits by the back gate mocking me when I pass.

It knows that this year is different.

It knows this year, I will be outside on Dec 24th in the cold with no fire, having switched to hard liquor just for this specific occasion.
The cussing will be louder, the instructions harder to read by the light of my smart phone.
The missing parts will be extra missing and the night will be much longer.

I will learn the true depths to which I am willing to push my body to force this 2 man job into a 1 man operation, sacrificing time, comfort and the lifespan of my back.

I will get to push my new shoulder to its limits and probably well beyond its max structural support as specified in the SOH (Shoulder Operating Handbook)

The box looks at me knowing I will sweat and the sweat will freeze.
It also knows mixed with the sweat will be frozen tears and certainly frozen blood on my hands.

The box knows whether my wrenches are metric or English and laughs quietly knowing which bolts it is hiding from me deep inside its contents.

That box silently gloats knowing whichever socket I lost recently is the one most needed for the construction.

The box knows all of this. It does.

There are however things which this box does not know. That's right.

It does not know that my stubbornness knows no limits.

It does not know that I will make a small socket fit a big bolt if I have to melt the metal and re shape it with my bare hands.

It doesn't know that I see busted knuckles as a badge of honor

It doesn't know that the icy mixture of blood, sweat and tears is just armor that I generate from within.

The box does not know that for my kids, I will use sheer will power to make the bounciest fvcking Christmas morning North Texas has ever seen.

After the project is complete and just when the gin runs dry....
After the last drop is gone....

The box does not know that I will have a backup bottle on hand for this one night.

The box will look at me as if to ask "why?"

"The project is complete. You have conquered the trampoline"
"Your work is done." It will say.

Not yet.

One more gin and tonic.

Not to celebrate my victory. No, that is assured.

This one is to warm my insides.

Then I will feed the box into the fire to warm my armor.

This part, the box does not yet know.

Last edited:
Just to keep your misery in perspective, it will pale by comparison to the misery you will feel when you take your kid to the ER with the most severe orthopedic injury you have ever seen. So buck up. It won't be so bad. This time.

From having owned one I offer this advice:
1- Get a safety net to go around the outside.
2- Get large hollow pool noodles. Cut them to length and put them over the springs.
3- Stake that sucker to the ground. I have personal experience in explaining to the home insurance guy how the wind came over the hill, lifted the trampoline, tore off the gutters, tore off the ridge vent on the top of the 14/12 pitched roof, and rolled down the street for over a block before falling to pieces spread across two people's yards.

We put the box in the living room with a big bow on it and told them Santa must not have had time to put it together.

-Jim

It has the safety net and other safety padding.
It doesn't quite appear to be the death machine I had as a young kid and I'm definitely going to strap it down you're the second person to tell me they had one blow over a fence

Having helped my brother assemble one of these, I'll volunteer to come over and help.

Assembly is pretty simple. But after 50% of the springs are attached to the mesh, the effort to stretch everything begins to increase.

Seriously, call me if you need me to help.

Damn how cold does Texas get on Christmas eve? You have seen the Simpsons episode with the tramapoline?

Having helped my brother assemble one of these, I'll volunteer to come over and help.

Assembly is pretty simple. But after 50% of the springs are attached to the mesh, the effort to stretch everything begins to increase.

Seriously, call me if you need me to help.

I kinda wondered about it getting harder as I go.
Truthfully, I will probably assemble it a couple days prior and keep it in the side yard so they don't see it. But I will holler if I need a hand.

Damn how cold does Texas get on Christmas eve? You have seen the Simpsons episode with the tramapoline?

Lately it's been a huge variation. 4 or 5 years ago, blizzard conditions. Last year, our attire would remind you of a Jimmy Buffett concert.

I kinda wondered about it getting harder as I go.
Truthfully, I will probably assemble it a couple days prior and keep it in the side yard so they don't see it. But I will holler if I need a hand.

I'm still willing to assist. Just have eggnog and bourbon ready.

ssembly is pretty simple. But after 50% of the springs are attached to the mesh, the effort to stretch everything begins to increase.

I remember assembling mine (for me...not kids!)

I remember the key was putting the springs on like tightening lug nuts...put one on at 360 degrees....then next at 180, then 90, then 270, then 45, then 225 so on and so forth alternating all the way around. If you start at top and try to work your way around just skip the beer and go straight for the bottle of Jack!

We tied a ski rope to a tree then screwed some Vans to an old skateboard with no trucks and practiced wakeboard tricks and spins!

Last edited:

It varies.

Lmao, one of my favorite episodes. Did you catch the marathon they ran on FXX a couple months ago? 12+ days of non-stop Simpsons.

Bryan, you got issues man. How hard can it be to put it together?

I never had a safety net on our trampoline.

We laughed at the kids that did.

Sure did teach me a thing or two about physics, though. Have fun stretching the mat out!

Last edited:
It varies.

Lmao, one of my favorite episodes. Did you catch the marathon they ran on FXX a couple months ago? 12+ days of non-stop Simpsons.

Bryan, you got issues man. How hard can it be to put it together?

No clue. Never tried.
Hopefully not too bad.

Our kids got a used, full sized trampoline just like Mom & Dad had. No nets, no noodles on springs, no anchors. All their friends left the mini springy cages their parents bought them and came over to our house. I made sure they knew the rules. There were laughs, there were bruises, plenty of photos to prove it, often on the facebook pages of their parents. There was an umbrella policy. When the tarp started fraying last year, off to the dump it went. No (real) harm, no foul. Good times. After all, what is to be learned by living, without a little bit of risk? YMMV.

A drone would be perfect for filming kids jumping on a trampoline...

You've explained lift, gravity, thrust and drag to your kids, right? Tell the kids it would slow Santa down too much to haul fully assembled trampolines all over the world. Only way he can stay on schedule is to deliver them in the box. Then put that sucker together in the daylight.

Or rent a hangar for the non-aeronautical purpose of trampoline assembly, and just transport it Christmas eve. No gin though till after though.

Assembling the trampoline isn't bad. The safety net is a lot more work.

This is the one I got: http://www.texastrampolines.com/product.asp?ProductID=43243 It may be a little different than yours. There motto is, "if it came in a box, you got the wrong one." (Theirs come motor freight, and don't fit in a UPS truck.) If you don't have a competitive dancer, gymnast, or cheerleader in the family you probably don't need one that big. What you may need is the spring tool : http://www.texastrampolines.com/product.asp?ProductID=3402 if yours didn't come with one. It's a huge help.

Assembling the trampoline isn't bad. The safety net is a lot more work.

This is the one I got: http://www.texastrampolines.com/product.asp?ProductID=43243 It may be a little different than yours. There motto is, "if it came in a box, you got the wrong one." (Theirs come motor freight, and don't fit in a UPS truck.) If you don't have a competitive dancer, gymnast, or cheerleader in the family you probably don't need one that big. What you may need is the spring tool : http://www.texastrampolines.com/product.asp?ProductID=3402 if yours didn't come with one. It's a huge help.

Good Lord!
No, mine is far inferior. It also has more sharp edges, broken glass, and nails on it than that one.

No gymnasts here. We don't to athletics in my gene pool. We're more built for science and allergies.

Great memories! I don't recall there even existing nets or spring guards when we were kids. As I recall the majority of injuries always followed the good 'ole "Double Bounce"

Great memories! I don't recall there even existing nets or spring guards when we were kids. As I recall the majority of injuries always followed the good 'ole "Double Bounce"

Yup.

Oh man, how many times did I land with each leg going on either side of a spring.

Amazing I was able to have kids.

Well in fine POA fashion we have 21 posts about doom and gloom, weather, tips n tricks, and you shoulda got this one!!!:mad2:

This is classic Bryan and a nice short story....I can relate and had a good chuckle!!:yes:

Merry Christmas!!!

Christmas is the one time I wish I had kids. It's just not the same with a pair of adults. :)

Great story, Bryan.

No clue. Never tried.
Hopefully not too bad.

Me too. I'll be putting one together myself, but while hung over Christmas morning.

From what I've been told, hook up a spring on one side, use a ratchet strap to pull the opposite side tight, then move 90 degrees and do it again. From there, hook the spring to the mat and use a long screwdriver to stretch the spring to the frame. A one eyes man told me to be carefull and pointed to his missing eye, so maybe not the best drinking sport.

I have a friend who dug a big hole to fit the trampoline into. The ground and the tramp are at the same level. Saves a few feet of drop if they fly off.

Yup. We also rode bikes without helmets, drank from garden hoses, and played with pop guns. It has always surprised me that I survived.
Did I mention climbing trees and fire towers, and the bb gun fights?
Now the parents would be arrested for child endangerment.

I have a friend who dug a big hole to fit the trampoline into. The ground and the tramp are at the same level. Saves a few feet of drop if they fly off.

that would be pretty cool

Yup. We also rode bikes without helmets, drank from garden hoses, and played with pop guns. It has always surprised me that I survived.
Did I mention climbing trees and fire towers, and the bb gun fights?
Now the parents would be arrested for child endangerment.

I still drink from the water hose when I am outside.
Tastes like childhood :)

There is a cool business on Cape Cod they took a gravel parking lot dug a bunch of trenches so trampolines would sit level put a fence around it, garden shed/office with a kid sitting there with timers. Think it was $6 for ten minutes of bouncing. Low overhead, probably rakes in the bucks, sign said there was no liability insurance so don't bother suing.

Me too. I'll be putting one together myself, but while hung over Christmas morning.

From what I've been told, hook up a spring on one side, use a ratchet strap to pull the opposite side tight, then move 90 degrees and do it again. From there, hook the spring to the mat and use a long screwdriver to stretch the spring to the frame. A one eyes man told me to be carefull and pointed to his missing eye, so maybe not the best drinking sport.

Get the spring tool that Texas Trampolines sells, well worth the $10 it costs.

I think so.
I mean, they are black but that happens sometimes right?

Christmas is the one time I wish I had kids. It's just not the same with a pair of adults. :)

Great story, Bryan.

My kids are in their 30s, so it's been a while. But, this year we have 5 grandkids (0 last year) so the fun begins anew. :D

My kids are in their 30s, so it's been a while. But, this year we have 5 grandkids (0 last year) so the fun begins anew. :D

5 in 1 year?

Are there some twins in there?

I used to have to assemble trampolines when I worked at a hardware store in high school, and they sold them.

What a pain in the ass, especially the first one. Learned the hard way DO NOT put a spring on and then move to the one next to it. Easiest way was to put on 12 o'clock, 6, 3, 9. Then keep moving around the mat.

As for gripping the springs to put the hook in the rail, we found it easiest to wear gloves, and use a second spring to hook into the one on the mat, and use it to pull that spring's hook into the hole.

The owner's 70-something year old father used to go with us to help us put them together. I remember one time he'd been drinking a soda while helping out, and had to go take a leak really bad before we left the customer's house and headed back to the store.

So he walked over to a big rose bush in the lady's back yard, whipped it out in front of God and everybody, and ****ed on her roses. I would have ****ed on the trampoline myself...

I used to have to assemble trampolines when I worked at a hardware store in high school, and they sold them.

What a pain in the ass, especially the first one. Learned the hard way DO NOT put a spring on and then move to the one next to it. Easiest way was to put on 12 o'clock, 6, 3, 9. Then keep moving around the mat.

As for gripping the springs to put the hook in the rail, we found it easiest to wear gloves, and use a second spring to hook into the one on the mat, and use it to pull that spring's hook into the hole.

The owner's 70-something year old father used to go with us to help us put them together. I remember one time he'd been drinking a soda while helping out, and had to go take a leak really bad before we left the customer's house and headed back to the store.

So he walked over to a big rose bush in the lady's back yard, whipped it out in front of God and everybody, and ****ed on her roses. I would have ****ed on the trampoline myself...

Guys, seriously:

DSC_0991.JPG

Well worth the $10.

5 in 1 year?

Are there some twins in there?

In the space of less than a week we went from 0 to 5. Our son proposed to a lady (wonderful) who already has 3 and less than a week later our daughter delivered twin boys. The picture is from Thanksgiving when all 5 were at our place. Let the spoiling begin! :yes:

Attachments

• 1522828_10204455296816096_3786065822766536167_o.jpg
    1522828_10204455296816096_3786065822766536167_o.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 16
Back