Kicking tires on a Cherokee 6 260

blurceo

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Uberpilot
My friend asked me to go check out a Cherokee 6 for him tomorrow. I've bought two planes on my own and did some pretty good research on them before I started looking around so I knew what to look for. But since I don't have that time. I was wondering if anyone had any info on what to look for on them as far as. run fast away from it! Or buy it!

Well, the plane itself, log books, hours, ‘recent hours’, maintenance history & ownership chain is a good place to start. Much of the time factors themselves ‘jump out’ at you, just keep your feelers open. Nothing usually happens fast, unless a hot deal.

Back when I was selling my Warrior the buyer’s ‘expert’ was along at one viewing. He seemed infatuated wanting to talk about ‘hail damage’ due to 2 minor divots in one part of the horizontal tail. He may of been trying to create a bargaining chip. I let him pontificate some, ended up selling to a later buyer. No sense being ‘that guy’.

Look for corrosion under and near the spar caps.

Looks for corrosion around the ribs under the belly that are opposite the seat tracks.

Everything else is a basic airplane.

When I bought my 6 it was in annual and like anything else that is “new to you” we found items that needed fixing.

The 6/260 is a solid plane. What other plane can go 6 hours at 130kts and still haul 1000lbs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

remove the carpet in the rear....look for corrosion on the pax side above the step on the inside. Water will run along the inside and rot out the tubing structure at the step mount. Also the longerons in the rear under the rudder assembly. That one takes a borescope or some good mirror skills.

Back