Keep GPSMap 496?

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I have an upgrade started and am installing a GTN750 + GNC255.

Do you think it is worth it to keep a GPSMap 496 in an AirGizmo mount?

I have the XM antenna for it and the same mount size can handle a aera 5xx series GPS too.

Eventually I'll add a GDL69 for XM on my 750.

My 296 is awefully difficult to read so I don't really use it. I would put an Aera 660 in that could do so much more with my GTX345 but having a hard time spending the money

I have an upgrade started and am installing a GTN750 + GNC255.

Do you think it is worth it to keep a GPSMap 496 in an AirGizmo mount?

I have the XM antenna for it and the same mount size can handle a aera 5xx series GPS too.

Eventually I'll add a GDL69 for XM on my 750.
Keep the 496. It is an excellent backup and has a sunlight readable screen unlike the Aera 5xx series screen which su@#s. Even if you do not run XM WX on the 496 and do plan to add fis-b (which unfortunately the 496 is unable to display; kind of like a 430 unable to display airways...) I would look elsewhere before adding an Aera 5xx. In turbulence the 496 tends to result in less cussing too.

Keep the 496. It is an excellent backup and has a sunlight readable screen unlike the Aera 5xx series screen which su@#s. Even if you do not run XM WX on the 496 and do plan to add fis-b (which unfortunately the 496 is unable to display; kind of like a 430 unable to display airways...) I would look elsewhere before adding an Aera 5xx. In turbulence the 496 tends to result in less cussing too.

I have ADSB through a GLD88. I think the 496 interface is terrible but I gather that it can cross-fill from a 750 to get the flight plan in there which makes it much more useful.

I still have my 496 in the gizmo mount. I have ours set up for the Garmin 530W to cross fill, works great and has the battery back up if needed.

Last edited:
I have ADSB through a GLD88. I think the 496 interface is terrible but I gather that it can cross-fill from a 750 to get the flight plan in there which makes it much more useful.
The 496 can be wired to a 750 for cross fill of flight plan data. It can also display ads-b traffic from a GDL 39 (or GDL 88 also most likely). Would be nice if it could also display ads-b WX but it does not. That capability in a 496 would be something I would be willing to pay for rather than be forced into buying a newer model. Personally I like the 496 interface, but have used it for a long time. Still use one in my Lancair. It is likely not an option for you (I am guessing certified bird by the avitar) but the 496 can also be wired to drive an autopilot.

I installed a GTN 650 in our RV and while the menu seemed ok I really disliked the touchscreen only. I found myself hitting the wrong "button" all the time. This was even worse on the Aera, and an added pleasure on top of not being able to read the screen in sunlight.

Something to consider. We just updated the avionics in our Citation and the install shop and they said that our old XM receiver we have been using with the 496 is going to be unusable in the next few months. I did a short search on Google and could not confirm this.

Took my 496 out,re chipped it for marine use. Prefer the IPad with foreflight for weather.

The 496 can be wired to a 750 for cross fill of flight plan data. It can also display ads-b traffic from a GDL 39 (or GDL 88 also most likely). Would be nice if it could also display ads-b WX but it does not.

What is required for the 496 to crossfill from a 750? Is that something I need to turn on each time in the 750 set up? Does the 496 have some sort of RS232 cable to get this data from?

I had a 496 gizmoed and upgraded to 696 gizmoed. Ship power. I like that if I need to shed power to keep flying (no mags) I still have the battery on the 696 while my radio stack is dark.

I had a 496 gizmoed and upgraded to 696 gizmoed. Ship power. I like that if I need to shed power to keep flying (no mags) I still have the battery on the 696 while my radio stack is dark.

I have no room for a 696, but do like the battery on the 496.

I keep my old 496 charged and in a case in my plane in the event that my panel fails...Love the 496.

I kept an old Garmin 295 running until the iPad came out... I finally threw it away four years ago, or so. I don't see any need to ever buy another aviation-specific portable GPS again.

What is required for the 496 to crossfill from a 750? Is that something I need to turn on each time in the 750 set up? Does the 496 have some sort of RS232 cable to get this data from?
Yes it is a wired connection, rs232 I think. I would link the install manual but am with just a cell phone on vacation now.

How is this configured? I had a 530 and 496 and the 496 never showed the flight plan from the 530. I have now upgraded to a 750 and my installer is not very familiar with a 496.

So, how is this connected and configured?

Thanks,

Trygve

Data in yellow wire on 496 cable connects to a RS232 serial out pin on the 430/530/650/750 tray.
Then have to go into setup of both units; configure the 430/530/650/750 pin used to output Aviation data and 496 to receive Aviation data.

Attachments

• GPSMAP396_OwnersManualWIRING.pdf
    160 KB · Views: 4
Back