Just wow

Yeah, I have lots of problems, but not nearly as many as you, a little introspection is a good thing.

So you wish to add ad hominem to the list, it's all you can do since you don't have a real argument.

It says he start flying in 1993, so that is 26 years ago, so about 580 hours a year, makes sense to me. My instructor is about the same age, he has over 14,000 hours.

Yes it's possible, but rare. Most don't accumulate that much. And thought I read somewhere that he had been military. If so, there's not way they average that much every year. I'm just saying it's questionable.

Yes it's possible, but rare. Most don't accumulate that much. And thought I read somewhere that he had been military. If so, there's not way they average that much every year. I'm just saying it's questionable.

I don't know if he was a military pilot, hard to tell. But a career as a CFI could definitely get that many hours if they hustle and are any good.

I never called you that. I said, be careful so as to not allow his douchery to rub off on you.

I think you meant "lest" in that post, changes the meaning a little, it's all good. Back to your question, an $1,800 BFR with no airplane is very expensive, even by Cirrus standards. So no, I don't like it and wouldn't pay it.

I think you meant "lest" in that post, changes the meaning a little, it's all good. Back to your question, an $1,800 BFR with no airplane is very expensive, even by Cirrus standards. So no, I don't like it and wouldn't pay it.

Ok good to hear. At least we can agree on that. I can't imagine paying $1800 for a BFR. I guess I've just been lucky. I've never had to pay for a BFR. I just do check rides at work and that covers it.

Ok, watched it again, there is no way he was at 2,000 feet, never mind 3,000 feet abeam the numbers, looks more like 800 feet to me, and when I used the slider in flightaware to see his altitude abeam the numbers, I saw 800 feet (ok I saw 900 feet, then moved it a sixteenth of an inch to get what I wanted). He did pull the gear up, then put it back down turning base, which was fine. He got over the numbers, and floated, so the Cirrus guy told him to pull the mixture, which he did, getting rid of the float, then he landed. Once again, I think the Cirrus guy helped.

Last edited:
Obviously he didn’t listen to the Cirrus Pilot about pulling the mixture, since the tower asks him where he wanted to park and he taxis in under his own power.

Ok, I did some research for you, since "Cirrus pilot" is on the copa forum. Cirrus pilot is a 15,000 hour CFII with multi rating, not sure if he is a multi instructor, but it's not relevant here. He has posted that he has 1,000+ hours dual given in Arrows, and knows them well. He also said that when he intercepted and started talking he was at 800 feet, not 2,000 or 2,500 or 3,000 feet as people have surmised here and elsewhere. He says he has the data to back this up. So based on that info, I double down that "Cirrus pilot" helped this guy by having him clean up his airplane, he would have probably landed short.

I’m curious as to what the reception is over on that forum? Was it high fives and chest pumping? Mixed reviews? Or near total flame job?
Not trying to fan more flames just curious that’s is all.

I’m curious as to what the reception is over on that forum? Was it high fives and chest pumping? Mixed reviews? Or near total flame job?
Not trying to fan more flames just curious that’s is all.
I would call it mixed, probably more against it than for it, my Impression anyway.

Obviously he didn’t listen to the Cirrus Pilot about pulling the mixture, since the tower asks him where he wanted to park and he taxis in under his own power.

Hmmm, good point. Not sure, he could have restarted, or the maybe the prop was still turning when he landed and he put the mixture back in, or he didn't pull it, that would confirm the fact the engine wasn't making any significant thrust. We may never know for sure.

I’m still not convinced it wasn’t completely staged.
Really!?! I doubt that. If that was the case the arrow pilot would have been a bit more panicky and troubled, and more receptive to the rescue pilots help. I don’t get that vibe at all. This thread is getting clouded and is heading for a lock

I’m still not convinced it wasn’t completely staged.

I watched a “deadstick landing” on YouTube other day- beyond staged, he never even tried engine restart procedures was high above an airport that had no obstruction for miles... it was super obvious. I see your point here but I do say this one wudda taken more work to pull off.

Btw those of you that are familiar with these planes how much power is that that he’s reporting? Inches mean nothing to this Continental C 85 driver...

ATC was bomdarding a guy with questions in the DC SFRA a few years ago, after he said he was diverting with a rough runner. . .

He made one more call: "Hush! I'm busy. . ."

Give the controller credit - he did STFU.

I watched a “deadstick landing” on YouTube other day- beyond staged, he never even tried engine restart procedures was high above an airport that had no obstruction for miles... it was super obvious. I see your point here but I do say this one wudda taken more work to pull off.

Btw those of you that are familiar with these planes how much power is that that he’s reporting? Inches mean nothing to this Continental C 85 driver...

Can't say precisely without more info, but they would typically cruise somewhere in the low to mid 20" area. Of course there's variables and as the higher the alt they will be at lower manifold pressure.

Obviously as you continually reduce power for landing, the manifold pressure will decrease as well.

It's very hard to argue with reasoning like that, lol.
Well I can’t understand how you don’t see a problem with it so I guess that’s just where it is going to stay.

There is no way I would have allowed that to happen. If it was forced on me you can be guaranteed there would have been a formal complaint filed at the FSDO and with the tower facility manager.

So here’s one thing I just thought of that I don’t think has been discussed. First, I’ve never been in an actual emergency that could have killed me but I did have the electrical system on a plane fail while flying. I did a lot of things wrong in that situation but I did enough right to land the plane. Most of what I was thinking about was to land the plane and keep things as “constant” as possible since I knew the plane would still fly in the condition it was in. In this situation,the Cirus guy comes in and totally screws up the Arrow’s plan. It’s pretty clear the arrow guy had a plane for how to land this plane- I’d imagine he went into the same mindset I did in my situation- and then the Cirus guy comes and shakes that all up. That’s really troubling and really not helpful at all.

The only time another pilot should help is if the first pilot seems to not know what he/she is doing. In all other cases, the PIC likely has the situation under control and is doing everything to land the plane. Whether the “checklist” and “by the book” procedure is done is often what a CFI would care about but, in most single engine planes, it’s totally irrelevant if the landing is done correctly and the runway is made.

Also, the controller’s “great job” to the Cirus pilot at the end is literally cringe worthy!

So here’s one thing I just thought of that I don’t think has been discussed. First, I’ve never been in an actual emergency that could have killed me but I did have the electrical system on a plane fail while flying. I did a lot of things wrong in that situation but I did enough right to land the plane. Most of what I was thinking about was to land the plane and keep things as “constant” as possible since I knew the plane would still fly in the condition it was in. In this situation,the Cirus guy comes in and totally screws up the Arrow’s plan. It’s pretty clear the arrow guy had a plane for how to land this plane- I’d imagine he went into the same mindset I did in my situation- and then the Cirus guy comes and shakes that all up. That’s really troubling and really not helpful at all.

The only time another pilot should help is if the first pilot seems to not know what he/she is doing. In all other cases, the PIC likely has the situation under control and is doing everything to land the plane. Whether the “checklist” and “by the book” procedure is done is often what a CFI would care about but, in most single engine planes, it’s totally irrelevant if the landing is done correctly and the runway is made.

Also, the controller’s “great job” to the Cirus pilot at the end is literally cringe worthy!
Well said

Back