Just call me buster

VanDy

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
VanDy
Because I busted my CFI Initial today.
so the quick run down is, that i thought the oral was super easy, and i was worried i was under prepared. took about 2 hours. and we almost had an unairworthy plane. (that just came back from a training flight.) 100 hour was completed 20 hours ago, but the maintenance entry was sitting on the desk, unsigned. she said shes gonna send up the maintenance inspector to look over their paperwork. I simply said that im not gonna bad mouth them and that mistakes happen. oral was 2 hours, iacra included. the FAR stuff i didnt know, i was able to find with out fumbling around and soon as i told her which FAR it was in, she was good with. then normal learning stuff, and self defense. a couple of when to sign logbook questions and when i went to the correct AC on logbook entries to make sure i had the correct verbage she was happy. and that was it. Told her i didnt have foreflight, or any other apps, just paper. Made me show her how I check notams (area and airport) along with weather. So i used the NOAA SkewT charts. Thanks Ted D!! And impressed her there.

Went flying, normal takeoff, she decided to play student as i was transitioning from climb to cruise, i tried talking her through it, that didnt work, so i took control back and gave a quick demo of the 4 things an aircraft can do, and then gave her the controls back and corrected her until she got it right. started with steep turns, i sucked, (i was too worried about talking and not flying, all on me) she gave me a third try and i didnt have the 50 degrees she wanted. on to chandelles, no problem, then hood work, contant speed climbs, decents and turns. then slow flight. I got behind the airplane and lost 200 feet, she busted me. Couldnt fault her, and i told her that. the only thing i can say, and that she agreed with was that if i was talking a student through it, I said all the right things, but didnt maintain commercial standards, again, i cant disagree. I opted to continue. I mean even if i failed everytnhing else, i was still in the same boat. next was a sim power out, easy in this part of the world right now, everything is flat and fresh planted. then 8s on pylons. she liked my explanation, (follow the pylon with the yoke) and didnt even make me do a complete 8. Lazy eights were on point, and for once, my power off 180s couldnt have been better. I touched down right in the middle of the 1,000 foot markers. she said that counted for power off and soft field. Stop and go for a short firld take off, and she didnt care ho i landed as long as i didnt break anything. so i did a short, hit the numbers and the first turn off with no brakes at 900'.

So i have to fly with another examiner and do steep turns, and slow flight, easy stuff, hopefully, lol

Thanks for sharing

Good on you to continue, btw, that shows some perceverence that so many lack

I am very close to someone who failed their first CFI checkride. She stuck to it and passed her next. She is well respected in the local aviation community. I'd say don't give it a second thought that, other than with your piggy bank, that you had to do a second checkride.

You failed the hardest (IMO) checkride. Definitely nothing to be ashamed of. You'll knock it out next time.

Agreed on continuing, no harm there (unless you're having a REALLY bad day in which case good ADM suggests you're best getting back down on the ground). Is it the FSDO's policy that you have to fly with another ASI, or was the one who flew with you unavailable for your scheduled re-check?

Both my buddies who got the IR when I started busted their check rides. Both were highly accomplished PhD scientists. I wouldn't sweat it.

Last edited:
What..?!?!?!? Busted the initial CFI..?!?!?!?

No one will want to hire you now. Go to McDonalds and beg them to give you a French fry operators job....:lol::lol::lol:

Actually I mean if a company actually cares about that then I would be greatly surprised.

Get a couple flights, do the do over and continue on. Nothing to worry about.

Head on over to Skippers in W. Milton to drown your sorrows and you'll feel better (or worse) tomorrow!

Both my buddies who got the IR when I started busted their check rides. Both were highly accomplished PhD scientists. I wouldn't sweat it.
What does being PhD scientist have to do with passing a checkride?

I will say congrats to you early Vandy, you are very close to your cfi rating now.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

What does being PhD scientist have to do with passing a checkride?

Implies smarts and ability to learn. (Whether or not any wisdom/common sense is included is not specified. I've known some very smart and wise PhDs and some really educated fools. Much like any other qualification.)

John

I applaud you for finishing what you did even after the bust. That is awesome! You're most of the way there now, hardest parts are over it. It is so hard to "teach" examiners. Some of them would let you "teach" your way out of a mistake but obviously not all. Now when you make mistakes you can play it off like you meant to "you see, what I did there was get the nose up too high and that caused our excessively low airspeed" ;)

Just out of curiosity, did you use a DPE or an inspector?

Implies smarts and ability to learn. (Whether or not any wisdom/common sense is included is not specified. I've known some very smart and wise PhDs and some really educated fools. Much like any other qualification.)

John
PhD scientist? Hmmm, agree on ability to learn. Smarts? Maybe, maybe not. Now if they are a PhD engineer then they can learn, are smart, and good looking and have many other Sterling qualities.

Wait, wait, wait. Self-defense? Cockpit kung fu? Is this a requirement?

John
I don't want to steal the thread, but let's just say I've seen many smart people unable to fly their way out of a paper bag, and many *average* folks become great pilots.
I don't see a correlation.

Ohio FSDOs aren't known for a high percentage of CFI busts - just sayin.

Wait, wait, wait. Self-defense? Cockpit kung fu? Is this a requirement?

You joke, but my CFI initial DPE sat side by side with me in a chair one time (not during the ride) and showed me "Cockpit Judo"...

Scenarios like...

Student has frozen on the controls and you need the throttle reduced right now... show me how you'd make that happen while trying to also get them off of the controls.

Versus...

You need the throttle up. Same scenario.

There's different ways to hit someone with your arm to get the control deflection or throttle movement you need... pop move hard with your elbow in front of their elbow pushing rearward will pull the throttle off... hit from behind the elbow forward and follow through from underneath to lift the arm off of the throttle... if you need the power up...

They're all going to try to kill you... eventually... :)

You joke, but my CFI initial DPE sat side by side with me in a chair one time (not during the ride) and showed me "Cockpit Judo"...

Scenarios like...

Student has frozen on the controls and you need the throttle reduced right now... show me how you'd make that happen while trying to also get them off of the controls.

Versus...

You need the throttle up. Same scenario.

There's different ways to hit someone with your arm to get the control deflection or throttle movement you need... pop move hard with your elbow in front of their elbow pushing rearward will pull the throttle off... hit from behind the elbow forward and follow through from underneath to lift the arm off of the throttle... if you need the power up...

They're all going to try to kill you... eventually... :)

Don't we have the 2nd amendment for situations like that? :D

I applaud you for finishing what you did even after the bust. That is awesome! You're most of the way there now, hardest parts are over it. It is so hard to "teach" examiners. Some of them would let you "teach" your way out of a mistake but obviously not all. Now when you make mistakes you can play it off like you meant to "you see, what I did there was get the nose up too high and that caused our excessively low airspeed" ;)

Just out of curiosity, did you use a DPE or an inspector?

FAA Inspector, and for a data point, I was her first unsupervised ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my instructors had student working on his commercial freeze on the controls and put the airplane in the trees off to one side of the runway.
That sounds bad....but it sounds better than putting the aircraft in the trees on both sides of the runway...

That sounds bad....but it sounds better than putting the aircraft in the trees on both sides of the runway...
That would have required the aircraft to have "come from together"

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hey buster Brown. ...:D

152px-Buster_is_coming.jpg

Meh....it happens to the best of us. Just go and redo it.

Back