Jury Duty

I've been called up for Jury duty a few times over the decades.

The first was in Colorado. When I had to go in they kept calling lists of names for jury pools. When they finally got to me it was in a group who were dismissed as the defendant had plead guilty to a lesser charge. Must have been guilt, but...

The second and third were in California. The first was a drunk driving case and I wasn't selected. The second was an eviction of non-payment of rent. The first twelve names drawn wound up being the jury. They didn't excuse anyone, which surprised the judge and both lawyers. I was the first one drawn and wound up being elected foreman. Everybody on the plaintiff's side told the same story, everybody on the defendant's side contradicted each other, including the defendant himself. We found for the plaintiff and, after a day and a half, went home.

I've had to go in once since moving to the state of Washington. After being called in to be questioned the judge apologized for wasting our time as the defendant, at the last minute, had plea bargained to a lesser charge. The judge said that was not uncommon.

Each time I found the process interesting and worthwhile.

I was not happy about being summoned but now I am glad I had the opportunity to participate. It was very interesting to see our justice system in action.

I'm glad you served, sorry it was such a hard case to hear.

Our notices come via regular mail, so I trash them on arrival lately - the post office is the sender's agent; if I didn't sign for it, I didn't get it. . . Way back in the day I went a couple of times, but it put me off quite a bit. . .

Wow... he would have got less time if he had actually succeeded in killing her.

I hear a lot of people trying their hardest to get out of jury duty. I can understand when people are self-employed or don't get paid by their company. Getting $40/day for jury duty is crap. But I get paid normally from work, so personally, I can't get enough. Besides being your civic duty, it's very interesting and very much unlike the TV shows. The judge even told us not to expect Law & Order type of proof and evidence. Unfortunately, in NY, you can only serve on a trial once every 4 years. I get called about every 5-6 years. The worst part is the waiting around. Even after the trial started, we spent only 2-3 hours/day in court and the rest in the jury room or waiting in the hallway. No wonder the wait for trial is 18 months, slow process. Been 3 times so far, got on a civil case once, nothing the next time, and just served on a 3 week criminal case in May. I take it very seriously because it's somebody's life on the line. Most of my co-jurors didn't take it as seriously, trying to get out as fast as possible, which was disappointing. They would have gone along with whatever verdict the 5 of us who actually deliberated agreed to. If I were to ever get arrested, and I was innocent, I would choose a bench trial over a jury I think.

My first time about 12 years ago, I was on a civil case (crazy big woman attacked a police officer who was cuffing her daughter and got "injured" (fake-she kept limping on the wrong leg and sued the police/city)... we were about to give her nothing when they agreed to a settlement at lunch, quick 1 day trial.

Last month, I served on a criminal jury. A guy was facing 5 charges: 1st degree assault on an elderly person, 3rd degree assault, 1st degree robbery, attempted robbery, and interfering with police administration. He was accused of trying to rob a guy near the subway and eventually punching him in the face and running off, then he came across an old guy who parked and locking up his car, so he tried to rob the keys and kept beating on the guy, but old guy wouldn't give the keys up. Then some plain clothes warrant squad cops looking for felons happened to drive by and saw the guy on top of the old guy and went after him and caught him. We convicted on the robbery and assault of the old guy and trying to escape from the police station while getting finger printed (last charge) but acquitted him on the first guy he was accused of trying to rob and punch (the ID was tainted). I purposefully didn't do any google searches or anything about the defendant because I didn't want to get prejudiced against him if I found something. But after the trial ended I googled him.

It seems that the crime that he was on trial for happened in December 2015. The trial was in May 2017. While awaiting trial in Rikers (worst ****hole jail in the US), he was taken to the doctor by a corrections officer and while there, this guy took a pen from the doctor's desk and stabbed the CO in the ear, causing major damage. So even after the trial that I served on, this lowlife P.O.S. is actually awaiting another trial where he's facing 7 felony counts, including attempted murder. So he's probably a lifer in prison.

I've been called up for Jury duty a few times over the decades.

The first was in Colorado. When I had to go in they kept calling lists of names for jury pools. When they finally got to me it was in a group who were dismissed as the defendant had plead guilty to a lesser charge. Must have been guilt, but...

The second and third were in California. The first was a drunk driving case and I wasn't selected. The second was an eviction of non-payment of rent. The first twelve names drawn wound up being the jury. They didn't excuse anyone, which surprised the judge and both lawyers. I was the first one drawn and wound up being elected foreman. Everybody on the plaintiff's side told the same story, everybody on the defendant's side contradicted each other, including the defendant himself. We found for the plaintiff and, after a day and a half, went home.

I've had to go in once since moving to the state of Washington. After being called in to be questioned the judge apologized for wasting our time as the defendant, at the last minute, had plea bargained to a lesser charge. The judge said that was not uncommon.

Each time I found the process interesting and worthwhile.
How is one "elected" foreman? Do you have to run for the spot?

I hear a lot of people trying their hardest to get out of jury duty. I can understand when people are self-employed or don't get paid by their company. Getting $40/day for jury duty is crap.

$40?!

Here in PA it's $9.

How is one "elected" foreman? Do you have to run for the spot?
In my trial, it was the person chosen first, juror #1. We didn't have a choice. The girl was freaking out that she would have to read the guilty verdicts and the defendant may come after her.

We have a 1day/1 trial deal. I've been called once. I sat in the court room with the others until the judge came in. "I apologize, but we are delaying this trial. The defense attorney called in sick. I've known this guy for many years and he's a Marine with combat experience. If he says he's too sick to come in, he's REALLY sick. Too bad, too. This was expected to be a 4 day trial, and would have been a good one. By showing up you fulfilled your jury duty. You are free to leave."

I just got called for jury duty this coming October. It's just District Court so if I'm on a case it will be minor. The serious stuff is tried in Superior Court.

The first time I was called for jury duty, everyone that was called just sat in a room for 5 hours before they announced that all cases were settled and we could all go home. The second time they emailed me the night before and told me I wasn't needed.

I'm kind of hoping to get on a case this time, just for the experience. My employer pays for up to two weeks of jury duty without using our PTO.

I have been summoned four times for Jury duty. First time was for two weeks, you had to call each morning to see if you had to come in. Next three times it was the one day/one trial deal. First case, the judge excused me from the selection pool, the next three times the defense or prosecution attorney excused me. Yet to make it past the selection pool.

Tim

Wow... he would have got less time if he had actually succeeded in killing her.
Unfortunately, that's no joke.
These comments remind me of what a worker's comp claims adjuster once told me... "

Death is cheap." Meaning that a death claim often is a one and done payment for the insurance company. But payments to a severely injured and living worker can go on for a very long time.

The worst part is the waiting around. Even after the trial started, we spent only 2-3 hours/day in court and the rest in the jury room or waiting in the hallway. No wonder the wait for trial is 18 months, slow process.
The one case where I was picked for a six-person jury was for a simple juvenile assault case (9 year old shoved a 7 year old such that the younger one fell down a few steps and suffered a broken arm or wrist). I can relate to what I quoted since no sooner than we would be seated in the box and one of the lawyers start questioning witnesses than the other would pose some sort of objection that required the two sides to argue the point so the judge could make a point of law ruling. But this had to be done with us not in the courtroom. So we would file out, wait 5, 10, 15 minutes, go back in, and repeat. It took nearly all day for us to be given the case.

everyone that was called just sat in a room for 5 hours before they announced that all cases were settled and we could all go home
I have had that happen twice. Which is why I always bring a good thick paperback book to read. Tablets aren't permitted, so if you want something to occupy your time, you need to bring the papyrus.

These comments remind me of what a worker's comp claims adjuster once told me... "

Death is cheap." Meaning that a death claim often is a one and done payment for the insurance company. But payments to a severely injured and living worker can go on for a very long time.

Yep, that is what I tell everyone. If you get hurt go ahead and die because death benefits are cheaper than health benefits...:lol::lol::lol:

Of course I am joking, or am I..??

In one case I sat in it the foreman was chosen because he was the one that spoke first when we were in the jury room...:lol::lol:
Well that shows leadership. Being a blabbermouth.

"What time's lunch?"

Next thing you know, you're running the place.

In my trial, it was the person chosen first, juror #1. We didn't have a choice. The girl was freaking out that she would have to read the guilty verdicts and the defendant may come after her.
Ha. I have tons of experience running committees, I guess I'd never get picked to be on a jury. And at a dollar an hour, I should consider myself lucky.

In one case I sat in it the foreman was chosen because he was the one that spoke first when we were in the jury room...:lol::lol:
I was chosen in the last one just because I didn't say "hell, no." Just a consensus thing, took 30 seconds.

Last time I was called, during jury selection everyone was trying their best to be excluded until a very attractive young lady was selected then the men in the pool were falling over themselves trying to be included. o_O

For Indy it is $15 per day plus mileage to appear. $40 per day plus mileage if selected to serve. My service was 2 days and I got a check for $108.
Sounds like they upped it. I had talked to a few judges a couple years ago and they complained how the fee didn't even pay for downtown parking.

Find the guy/girl innocent...they'll never call you again.... (happened to me) Not guilty on a dwi, I've been dropped the first day by the DA every time... and now its been 6 years since I've even received a notice to appear...

Last time I was called, during jury selection everyone was trying their best to be excluded until a very attractive young lady was selected then the men in the pool were falling over themselves trying to be included. o_O

Last time I was called, the county was trying a new program. No reimbursement fees at all. Instead, they provided free parking, mass transit passes, and provided a catered breakfast and lunch.

Tim

The day I showed up for my turn, I noticed a lot, a WHOLE lot of sheriff's deputies inside and outside the courthouse. They were everywhere. When the judge dismissed us from our trial because it was postponed, he did mention the 2-week murder trial going on in the courtroom next door. A local rapper had been gunned down in a parking lot after a show. That explained all the extra security.

I thought about sitting in on that trial since I wasn't needed anymore, but it was another hour before they were to get started. I walked across the street to a local coffee shop for a roll and a cup of joe. Then just before court started, it was like a starting pistol had gone off. From out of all the storefronts suits carrying briefcases headed out to the courthouse. It was impressive.

I hear a lot of people trying their hardest to get out of jury duty.

I never understand it either. I consider it a civic duty and privilege to serve on a jury, even if 95% of the time it's as engaging as spending a day at the DMV. I've been summoned to jury duty countless times over the last 25 years, but have never been selected. That said, my mother was on a jury last week for a guy who killed his wife with a hammer. She described the process after the fact and I was very impressed that the entire jury pool seemed really engaged throughout the process.

I never understand it either. I consider it a civic duty and privilege to serve on a jury

The right to serve on jury duty was a very important right in the reconstruction era.

I served once, and it was a fascinating experience. It was a weapons charge, and the best part was that the defendant went without an attorney and defended himself. He was a lousy, tatted-up little gangbanger, and his defense was pathetic and laughable, which was very entertaining. Of course, we convicted the hell out of him.

Another time I was called, I got out of it because I knew the defendant. He was there due to charges of selling cocaine. I knew him because he'd previously worked for our company, and we'd fired him for testing positive for.... you guessed it: cocaine. No way could I be unbiased in that scenario!

I never understand it either. I consider it a civic duty and privilege to serve on a jury, even if 95% of the time it's as engaging as spending a day at the DMV. I've been summoned to jury duty countless times over the last 25 years, but have never been selected. That said, my mother was on a jury last week for a guy who killed his wife with a hammer. She described the process after the fact and I was very impressed that the entire jury pool seemed really engaged throughout the process.
Well if you still get paid, you don't run a risk of losing your job, someone else can carry the weight while you're "away", you don't have young/old who depend upon your presence, then yeah it's great.

Well if you still get paid, you don't run a risk of losing your job, someone else can carry the weight while you're "away", you don't have young/old who depend upon your presence, then yeah it's great.
Never said it was great. I said it was a civic duty. I don't get paid to go to church, attend weddings, funerals, visit sick friends in hospitals, etc. either, but I manage to make it work.

I'm 59 and have had my driver license and been registered to vote continuously since I was 16 & 18 respectively. Those are two prime places that jury pools come from. Still I have only been sent notice to call in three or four times in my life and never had to show up. Those few times were all while I was in my 30s if I recall correctly. So I am amazed at the number of times some of you have received notice, had to go to court and even serve.

Maybe I'm on some sort of jury black list now? :dunno:
Go buy a new gun. You'll get called.

I believe that all of my employers' policies for the past 30 years was to pay full pay for jury duty, though I do recall that one subtracted what the court paid.

Back