Jury Duty

Potential repeat story.

Had a boss that would always say that people who got seated for juries "wanted to" and didn't do enough to get excused.

He ended up on a two week trial. Which we all considered a vacation.

He gets back and around 4PM when I'm usually headed out the door he is telling me about the interesting nuances of the case and their deliberations.

I said, "I thought no one got seated on juries unless they wanted to." Grabbed my briefcase and coat, and walked out.

20 yrs later... he was a horrid boss and has provided me with MANY true stories, but he wasn't malicious or mean, it was just his way.

I was on call-in standby for a federal jury once, never had to go it. My wife spent a day in the federal courthouse on hers, but never got called for even voir dire. The only other notice I ever received was for a jurisdiction I had moved out of six months earlier.

In the case of the $18,000 loss, you should not have to serve. I'd never subject myself or my family to hardship (any type) to serve on a jury. I'm patriotic but there's plenty of single people with no kids that would not be inconvenienced very much by a case like that. But even if the judge won't let you out, there are a couple different ways to make sure that you are not selected:

Race- tell them that you are a racist when the defendant is of a different race than you. I would not blurt out "I'm a racist" because that will get you weird looks but the judge may think that you are purposefully trying to get out of it. Not sure if he can make you stay, especially if the defense excuses you. Be more subtle like "I have a bad history with black people, I hope that it won't affect my objectivity in this case". Excused!
Police- In a criminal case, there will always be questions about police, whether you know any or have them in your family, any dealings with police, etc. Just say "The police are sworn, so whatever they say is 100% true" The defense will excuse you before you finish the sentence. In my case, they made a big deal that the police officers are just like any other citizen and their testimony should be treated the same as everybody else's.
Crime- Say you have been a victim and cannot be impartial. Excused!
Or say "I believe that every criminal deserves a second chance". It just depends on which side will excuse you.
Im sick of people that think that because they have kids they deserve special treatment. That was your choice. I've seen it at work plenty of times. You're a citizen, do your Civic duty.

Well, I got called for jury duty so here in sit at the City/County building. I have filled out my questionnaire and I'm just waiting to see if I get selected. This is a first for me.
I had to go almost a year ago, not to Indy though. Spent all day in jury selection, seemed like they had called in everybody.

The easiest way to get out of jury duty is to become a convicted felon.....:rolleyes:

Here in New Mexico I believe jury duty is for 2 months. Just call in every Thursday.

4 day work weeks here.

Interesting, the selection I was in one guy was a felon. Judge questioned him about the felony conviction some and told him to sit back down, he wasn't disqualified. I think the defense ended up dismissing him though.

In Indiana, a person who has his voting rights restored after a felony is not barred from jury service by law. One of the two sides may have an issue with it as you observed.

Back