Joining an arrival using a GTN 750

Asicer for the win - I must have missed that. Let me play around with it. Thanks.

So.... what if you had loaded in the entire Arrival into the flight plan, and then hit Direct, pull up the menu that lets you select from the loaded flight plane, select the desired Fix, and it should skip you to that part of the flight plan and then continue to the next fix in the flight plan?

So.... what if you had loaded in the entire Arrival into the flight plan, and then hit Direct, pull up the menu that lets you select from the loaded flight plane, select the desired Fix, and it should skip you to that part of the flight plan and then continue to the next fix in the flight plan?
Of course. SOP.

The question suggests you are missing a basic concept. Anything you load in the flight plan, airports, navaids, intersections, fixes, instrument approaches, SIDs, STARs, user waypoints, whatever else you can think of, are just waypoints in the flight plan and treated the same. You can go direct to any of them, activate the leg between any of them, and the system will just sequence from there.

Let me re state the question: which is the preferred method - activate leg or direct to?

You stated SOP when I asked about direct to. Why that over activate leg?

Let me re state the question: which is the preferred method - activate leg or direct to?

I agree with Mark... and it depends.

(a) If ATC instructs "cleared direct waypoint_xyz" (or if VFR, you decide you want to go to that point), then:
select waypoint_xyz Direct.

(b) If ATC instructs "fly heading 270, join Victor 123" (or if VFR, you want to join a given airway or leg), then:
select leg_ijk (that is the expected intercept leg on Victor 123), Activate Leg.

Make sense / thanks !

I never suggested one is "preferred over" the other. You are really overcomplicating something simple. They just do different things.

upload_2022-2-28_22-40-45.png

Understand that you can do either activate leg or direct to. Sharing that I learned / didn't realize you could do a "DIRECT TO" two different ways.

1) Hit the DIRECT TO button, select the from flight plan option, and then pick the fix you want.

2) Second way is to have the flight plan open, click the fix you want, then hit the "DIRECT TO" button.

Back