Job offer in Miami

Pablo Canales

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Pablo
Hey Guys!

I recently got a Job offer to fly a private owned Piper Navajo Chieftain down in Miami.

The job consists on flying twice a week to Bimini, Bahamas. And once a month down to Cancun, Mexico

How much should be reasonable to ask? $

They company is offering me housing and electricity for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Chieftain is a simple and forgiving airplane, fun to fly. I probably have 23 or 2400 hours in them.

What is the housing, gated and secured condo on the beach, or a single wide in cracktown or an room in the hangar at the airport.?

My best job in air ambulance 10 years ago was flying a C-414 for 72k. I took a job flying a C-90 for 76k, but I can't stand king air so I left after a month. Last I heard the air ambulance here is trying to hire folks to fly a PC-12 at 78k a year starting pay. Just some pay examples, maybe with a reduction for the average rent in the area.

It’s actually to fly the owner of the airplane.

Its a construction company in Bahamas and the owner will be flying back and forth from Miami

The apartment they are offering me is located in Kendall, and looks pretty good
Rent value is supposed to be around $1,500usd

They are offering me $3,000usd monthly to fly the plane.

Does that sound any good to live in Miami?

Does the apartment include utilities, or are you paying for them? Any benefits (medical, paid vacation, use of a car, etc.)?

$3k ain’t much. You’ll need a second job.

$3k a month with all expenses paid maybe… Twin or not, that’s a lot of open water flying

I'd LOVE to fly a Chieftain, and that sounds like a super sweet gig. Even factoring in the rental though, your compensation is only $54k/year. Seems a little on the low side, but then again, how many pilot jobs do you have in the pipeline if this doesn't work out? I have...zero, so I'd be all over that! Also, figuring the Chieftain's speed at roughly 200kts, your trip to Bimini is only about 20 mins, so if it's fly down, drop off, fly back, you MIGHT get one hr of actual air time each trip, 1.5 hrs if you log Hobbs time? So figure 3 hrs logged per week for 2 trips, and then the trip to MMUN is roughly 2 hours each way, so you're getting maybe 18-20 hours/month for $54k? That's not bad. Cost of living in Miami might be a factor, as would family considerations. If it was just me, I'd be in the car right now driving to South Florida!

I’d take it. 3k+ 1500 for housing is 4500/month and only working a few days a month? What to do the other days. Independent cfi comes to mind because most pilots are flexible on scheduling if you get a last minute call.

Hey Guys!

I recently got a Job offer to fly a private owned Piper Navajo Chieftain down in Miami.

The job consists on flying twice a week to Bimini, Bahamas. And once a month down to Cancun, Mexico

How much should be reasonable to ask? $

They company is offering me housing and electricity for free.

There may be folk out there that would take that gig for pretty much free.

EDIT: Shoulda read the thread through first. This already been covered

You’re a pilot, I would fly down to Miami, check out the apartment, plane, and of course the owner. You should be able to live comfortably, get your CFI certificate, get hours and experience, and be able to get a better paying job flying big jets in a couple of years.
You won’t be driving a Ferrari but you should be able to have a modest lifestyle.

It's difficult to evaluate the compensation without knowing your experience.

Check out the insurance situation. Be sure you won’t be footing the bill if there’s a mishap. Also be sure you’re happy with the A&P and shop who will care for the plane.

This owner is trying to go cheap on the pilot. What other corners is he cutting?

Are you single or do you have a family?
Will you need/receive relocation expenses?
Remember, lots of free time = lots of time to spend money on things you wouldn't be doing if you were at work.
$1,500/month rent is chicken feed in South Florida.
I’d take it. 3k+ 1500 for housing is 4500/month and only working a few days a month? What to do the other days. Independent cfi comes to mind because most pilots are flexible on scheduling if you get a last minute call.
How many complaints do we get on this board from students that are continually frustrated by their CFI changing their schedule at the last minute. I suspect we lose a lot of potential pilots because of that.

Are the trips on a regular schedule (such that you could pursue another flying gig or other part time job) or are you expected to sit around and be ready at the drop of a hat for a whopping 20-30 minute flight over to Bimini?

Your best bet might be to see if there’s something else you can do in this guy’s “construction company” (yeah, right) in addition to flying. That could get the pay up a bit and provide schedule flexibility for flights.

18-20 hours/month for $54k

… and at roughly $225/hour, about 3 or 4 times the rate for a first year FO at regional airlines.

If the schedule permits other part-time work, the PA31 job could be attractive.
…. and although unlikely, even better if there are any benefits? (medical insurance, paid vacation/personal days, etc.)

You are young. How big of a move will this be for you? Where do you live now? Own a house? Family? Need hours and experience?

If I was your age, was not married, didn’t have a house to sell or a bunch of junk to move, I’d be all over it. Remember that many of the naysayers are likely older, married, in debt up to their ears, and accustomed to a bigger paycheck. It is your life, not theirs. You know what to do.

It's difficult to evaluate the compensation without knowing your experience.
Guessing by the question asked, he doesn't have much experience or he might know the answer.

Check out the insurance situation. Be sure you won’t be footing the bill if there’s a mishap. Also be sure you’re happy with the A&P and shop who will care for the plane.

This owner is trying to go cheap on the pilot. What other corners is he cutting?

Is he? It doesn't sound like he's asking for much flying.

I find the offer interesting. It’s not for everyone though. The key is obviously a 2nd source of income.

You are so old school, fentanyl is the name of the game.
I know this is a joke, but as one who uses fentanyl daily in my work I continue to be astounded by the fact that it is available on the street. Fentanyl is a very dangerous drug without medical training and equipment.

Bro, rate is $32,000 per year and you pay training costs. Only a 3 year commitment. It’s a double wide and you get to use the crew car (if your handy with tools). One of the other 8 guys you’ll be staying with is a veterinarian, so HC is all good.

It’s actually to fly the owner of the airplane.

Its a construction company in Bahamas and the owner will be flying back and forth from Miami

The apartment they are offering me is located in Kendall, and looks pretty good
Rent value is supposed to be around $1,500usd

They are offering me $3,000usd monthly to fly the plane.

Does that sound any good to live in Miami?

That’s the same value as $28/hr full time for a normal job. Also understand that the value of the housing is taxable if the Man brake checks you at tax time.

It does not matter what anyone else thinks. For me today it’s not enough money but I’m twenty three years into my career. When I was in my early 20’s, eager and inexperienced it would be a great opportunity. The only advice I will give is go visit and do a gut check in the operation. It it passes negotiate the ability to do outside commercial flying. Don’t make that an exclusive relationship.

You’ll need a second job.

Might be the solution. Since the piloting gig is just a few flights per month.

Probably need a completely flexible schedule. Flight instruction. Ride share. Youtube. Writing code.

I work from home, am retired Army, and have a flexible schedule with my job. Something like this would be a perfect fit for someone that wants to fly and has something else going for them. If you don't want it...

So... $36,000 a year in Miami. Miami is not an inexpensive place to live.
No housing costs, but you have
  • Health Insurance
  • Renters Insurance
  • Car Insurance (In Miami - not cheap)
  • Car payments, car plates, etc.
  • Cost of Living Food, Fuel, Clothes, etc
  • You'll be taxed not only on the $36000 but also on the $1500 per month / value of the apartment.
My advice?
  • Get as much as possible. Pilots are in very short supply now. Your competition is this guy going the corporate charter route.
  • Think of this as short term- he might drop the job if the construction business tanks because of economy, interest rates, etc.
  • What is your next job after this? Each job should set you up for the next one.
Sort these things out and go forth!

So... $36,000 a year in Miami. Miami is not an inexpensive place to live.
No housing costs, but you have
  • Car Insurance (In Miami - not cheap)
  • Car payments, car plates, etc.
I wouldn’t have a nice $$$ car, just a dependable one with good AC. So car insurance, tags, etc are minimal. Remember you’ll be parking it outside either at your apartment or at airport. Sun can do some damage over long periods of time.

Back