Jimmy Buffet Has Gone West

diabolical

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Rebel Flyer

What an accomplished Legend!
I was fortunate enough to have seen him in many situations and venues!
He did an awful lot fora lot of people and made millions happy with his music an attitudes towards relaxing! Lived a very full life from music to flying, quail huntin’, and fishin’!
God blessed him with a talent and he found a niche and turned it into a whole way of life! Had a very classic airplane collection over the years.
May he travel further in his next phase!

Parrot heads worldwide will be in shock…saw Jimmy play solo in 1978 at the submarine docks in Key West during an SORC race weekend…several times through the years at concerts…sad day indeed.

Sad. Karen has him playing in the background - “Come Monday” rolling over into “Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes“ just now. Comforting music from a dynamic period of my life.

Weirdly, one of those artists I just expected to always be around. Like Karen and I say, “People just need to stop dyin’”.

Never did find that lost shaker of salt.

Bummer. I always wanted to see him play but it just never worked out.

Listening to Radio Margaritaville on SXM this morning and Renee (DJ) is pretty torn up about it. Tremendous talent who changed the face of music gone way too soon.

Very sad. He was quite a pilot too.

So many memorable lyrics.

No time to count what I'm worth
'Cause I just left the planet earth
Where I go I hope there's rum
Not to worry monsoon come…

Volcano

53159243658_e0214dee4f_z.jpg

I have friends who both work for him now and in the past. They all sing his praises in being a rock solid human.

I saw his Chicago debut at a small club, maybe 30 people total in the audience. He was quite intoxicated, couldn't remember the words to his own songs, including Why Don't We Get Drunk, which has about 28 words in it. Seems he was a genuinely decent sort. RIP.

"According to Forbes Jimmy Buffett takes his trips to paradise in style aboard his Dassault Falcon 900. Buffett also has a pilot's license and owns several other airplanes, including a Cessna 208 Caravan, Grumman Albatross, Grumman Goose, and a Boeing E-75 Stearman."

I've seen him in concert. I've gotten totally hammered and relaxed to his music. I've listened to his music floating down the Chattahoochee on a raft, drinking cheap beer and watching half-naked co-eds jump off of a prominent rock.

His music and the idyllic attitude it created will be missed. Tailwinds.

What's sobering to me is he was 76 and had all the money in the world to buy the best healthcare. Yet he's no longer with us.

Enjoy it while you can. It won't last forever....

We went to a couple of his concerts in Atlanta, great show and watching the crowd was part of the fun! His music was part of every off shore fishing trip I’ve ever been on! Lots of Blue Marlin caught to his music! RIP Jimmy

What's sobering to me is he was 76 and had all the money in the world to buy the best healthcare. Yet he's no longer with us.

Enjoy it while you can. It won't last forever....
Reports are coming out that skin cancer lymphoma was his cause of death, and he had been placed under hospice care on last Monday.

Paul Sikkel, a University of Miami research professor, was fishing in the Florida Keys in 2015 when he made a decision.
Sikkel has listened to singer Jimmy Buffett for more than four decades, enjoying the songs Buffett produced when he lived in the Florida Keys in the 1970s. So Sikkel decided that if he discovered a species in the archipelago, he would name it after Buffett.In the winter of 2021, the longtime Parrothead finally got his chance when he and a team of researchers found an undiscovered species of marine cryptofauna — tiny ocean organisms — while fishing on Long Key island. This summer, researchers announced its name in the Bulletin of Marine Science journal: Gnathia jimmybuffetti.

https://wapo.st/3sFyhM7

His music was part of every off shore fishing trip I’ve ever been on! Lots of Blue Marlin caught to his music

Same thing when I was scuba diving regularly in S Florida. Buffett music was always playing on the dive boats, on the docks, in the restaurants, etc. Jimmy Buffett was as ubiquitous to S FL as a palm tree.

One of my Dad's Air Force buddies was a friend of Jimmy Buffett's. My Dad's buddy had been a USAF seaplane pilot (not many of those), and then in later years was flying Beavers, Otters and Twotters out of Manhattan, as a side/retirement gig. One day Jimmy Buffett asked if he could pick up a restored Beaver at Kenmore (Seattle area) and fly it down to Cabo, where Buffett could meet him, I guess while he was on tour. My Dad's buddy grabbed a friend and flew out to pick the airplane up. Day one they fly from Kenmore to (IIRC) Kingston, about 20nm, maybe. Get the airplane taken care of, then head into the bar. Next day, they make it to Friday Harbor, in the San Juans (about 30nm). Wash, rinse repeat. There are a few towns in the San Juans, so it takes them a few days. About a week later, they're somewhere in Northwest Oregon. Buffett gets ahold of them, and says "Hey, my schedule changed, how long would it take you to get the airplane to Bimini?"

My Dad's buddy said, "Well ****, Jimmy, that'll take about 3 years."

They remained fast friends, but Buffett sent someone else out to get his airplane. My Dad's buddy had the same description that you hear everywhere: said Buffett was a really down-to-earth, good guy.

I’ve always been a Buffett fan, saw him 7 times in concert. I’ve read just about every word he’s written.

I listen to a lot of stuff on Audible. This pas5 year I listened to a book called “Jimmy Buffett A good life all the way” by Ryan White. It’s worth a read/listen - I really enjoyed it.

Oddly, my wife and I both met him years apart. She and her college friends ran into him at a bar in Florida where he hung out with them for a bit. I picked him up in his friend’s Pilatus and flew him from Haiti to West Palm Beach. Both of us have great memories of our encounter.

I’ve always been a Buffett fan, saw him 7 times in concert. I’ve read just about every word he’s written.

I listen to a lot of stuff on Audible. This pas5 year I listened to a book called “Jimmy Buffett A good life all the way” by Ryan White. It’s worth a read/listen - I really enjoyed it.
I wish he had written more. Loved his writing.

One of the very few celebrities who's passing actually makes me sad. Kicking myself now as I always wanted to see him live.

I read "a pirate looks at 50" on vacation about 5 years ago and couldn't put it down. One helluva adventure flying around in that Albatros. It's parked at margaritaville Orlando and we got to see it shortly after I finished the book.

I also loved "A Pirate looks at 50". Probably my favorite "fun" book. Started re-reading it again this AM.

FWIW:
In the 63-year history of the Times’ Book Review bestseller lists, only six 20th century writers had achieved the No. 1 slot on both the fiction and nonfiction lists. This distinguished list includes Ernest Hemingway, Dr. Seuss, John Steinbeck, William Styron, Irving Wallace and Jimmy Buffett. And none of the others could sing...

Last edited:
I went to 8 of his concerts, first one was when he opened for the Eagles Hotel California tour 1977 in Ft. Worth. For 3 concerts we rented a 50-seat bus and brought grills and a keg, what fun. He will be greatly missed. There are at least two pilots in the first picture.

P1000288.JPG25a.jpg

Many might not have heard Buffet’s song about getting shot at in Jamaica. Great song but to tell the story too long for radio so many never heard it. If you are a pilot stream “Come Back to Jamaica.” You will enjoy it and it’s a true story.

It was a beautiful day
The kind you want to toast
We were treetop flyin'
Movin' west along the coast
Then we landed in the water
Just about my favorite thrill
When some ******* started firin'
When we taxied to Negril

Just about to lose my temper
As I endeavored to explain
We had only come for chicken
We were not a ganja plane
Well you should have seen there faces
When they finally realized
We were not some coked up cowboys
Sportin' guns and alibis

Come back
Come back
Back to Jamaica
Don't you know we made a big mistaica
We'd be so sad if you told us goodbye
And we promise not to shoot you out of the sky

Last edited:
His music always cheered me up, especially when my dad become sick. Dad passed last week and now Jimmy is gone. Thankfully his music lives on.

My dad passed at 92. What made his later years sad, to me, was how most of his friends passed before him leaving him alone. I'm nowhere near that, but, Charles Krauthammer was the first person who I never met but who impacted me in a significant way when he passed. I saw Buffet in concert ~6 times and remember listening to him during periods of adversity. My condolences to his family. This one hurts.

Jimmy had a lot of close ties to New Orleans - he grew up on the Gulf Coast, got his start on Bourbon Street, and was a diehard Saints fan. He was often coming into town for one thing or another. I had a chance encounter with him at Lakefront airport several years ago. I had taken a hiatus from flying and was getting some dual from one of the local schools. We landed on a Friday afternoon and a Falcon jet landed a few minutes later on the parallel runway. It had a shark fin painted on the tail. I said to my instructor that it must be Jimmy Buffett, but he said no, he usually parks at a different FBO. After tie town I was walking by the jet on my way into the FBO. Sure enough, Jimmy is coming off the plane - barefoot with a guitar over his shoulder. All I could do was briefly make eye contact and nod - he was whisked off in a suburban before I could say anything else. I went straight home and googled every event in New Orleans that weekend to try to figure what he was doing in town and never could figure out what why he was there.

Always like his music, but was never able to see him in person.
I had never seen this video, but I inadvertently saw this Stearman (along with his Goose) last weekend at the USS Alabama in Mobile where he donated them...

Attachments

• 23-09-09 15-55-49 1505.jpg
    23-09-09 15-55-49 1505.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 23-09-09 15-54-31 1501.jpg
    23-09-09 15-54-31 1501.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 23-09-09 15-53-29 1498.jpg
    23-09-09 15-53-29 1498.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 21
Back