Jetblue bad turbulance, 24 injured

"...please remember to keep your seat belt buckled at all times..."

Flight Crews & Stews dont get paid per word. They actually mean it. Hopefully the ones that went negative g into the bins will remember next time they fly.

Dang, on that page is a link to a video of a pilot-less Champ last month, starts up and multiple gyrations later whacks a hangar. Previously posted? (sorry to detract from OP's thread)

thought I read somewhere that some of the people who hit the roof were wearing seat belts.

I was looking at this flight on FlightAware trying to figure out whether it flew into a thunderstorm or something:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/JBU429/history/20160811/2125Z/KBOS/KRAP

However... at the time of the turn towards KRAP they seem to have been in clear air, or maybe they flew for 5 minutes before deciding to divert, in which case there may have been some minor activity.

This would indicate CAT. Scary to think that CAT can be that bad.

However, what weather does FlightAware actually show for historic data? Is it at the time of landing? Departure? Specific time of the day?

Is there any way I can go back and look at the weather at a specific point in time (7:16 MDT)? (Or another site that allows it).

The worst turbulence I've been in has been in the winter, in clear skies. The only times I've actually slowed down for fear of damaging the airplane. Truly awful, probably worthy of severe (although I was still able to control the plane), and I say this as someone who's flown in a lot of crap.

That makes one think wearing the seat belt all the time is a good idea.

a good meteorology department can avoid most of that stuff.........most airlines dont work at it much it seems. I in a former life worked operations for Northwest and they had it nailed down pretty well. They published a turbulence plot for every flight across country with expected bits of turbulence and routing around it. Worked great. When other birds were hitting severe we would be in the smooth stuff most of the time.

That makes one think wearing the seat belt all the time is a good idea.

Any time that I am in a vehicle capable of motion in three dimensions (plane, boat, car) I have my seatbelt fastened. I fail to understand the thinking of airline passengers who unlock their belts as soon as the Captain turns off the sign.

Semi-related: Woman on TV last night who lost two sons who were in the back seat of a car but not wearing belts when it was in a collision. Both went out through the front windshield, injuring the front seat passengers who WERE using belts. A you might imagine, she is on a mission to educate the public.

Bob Gardner

a good meteorology department can avoid most of that stuff.........most airlines dont work at it much it seems. I in a former life worked operations for Northwest and they had it nailed down pretty well. They published a turbulence plot for every flight across country with expected bits of turbulence and routing around it. Worked great. When other birds were hitting severe we would be in the smooth stuff most of the time.
Yesterday was pretty crappy. My flight from JFK to Vegas was delayed due to nasty storms. There was a huge line of storms further west and the only real way was to go through and hope for the best.

I was looking at this flight on FlightAware trying to figure out whether it flew into a thunderstorm or something:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/JBU429/history/20160811/2125Z/KBOS/KRAP

However... at the time of the turn towards KRAP they seem to have been in clear air, or maybe they flew for 5 minutes before deciding to divert, in which case there may have been some minor activity.

However, what weather does FlightAware actually show for historic data? Is it at the time of landing? Departure? Specific time of the day?

Is there any way I can go back and look at the weather at a specific point in time (7:16 MDT)? (Or another site that allows it).

Thunderstorm turbulence isn't necessarily in IMC. In particular, downdrafts don't generally form clouds.

The plane encountered a line of thunderstorms in central South Dakota, according to a flight path analysis by CNN meteorologists Monica Garrett and Chad Myers. After passing through a first storm, the plane came upon a second, which the pilot attempted to fly over or around. The significant turbulence was likely caused by one or both storms.

One of the TV reporters on the video on the linked article said that this was many passengers' worst nightmare. Really, a little turbulence is someone's worst nightmare in flight? How about an in-flight fire or loss of all engines or a wing coming off or a terrorist or ...

Turbulence?

One of the TV reporters on the video on the linked article said that this was many passengers' worst nightmare. Really, a little turbulence is someone's worst nightmare in flight? How about an in-flight fire or loss of all engines or a wing coming off or a terrorist or ...

Turbulence?
Not to pile on even more on "journalists" but, after one passenger said it felt like being in an elevator dropping 50 stories, other news sites dutifully reported that the aircraft had dropped 50 stories.

CAT is a MONSTER ! Trust me, you have no idea. They were lucky - they were in radar contact. Imagine being in an oceanic track where you have to email to get an altitude change.

Not to pile on even more on "journalists" but, after one passenger said it felt like being in an elevator dropping 50 stories, other news sites dutifully reported that the aircraft had dropped 50 stories.
50 stories is only 500 feet, which is plausible...

The worst turbulence I've been in has been in the winter, in clear skies. The only times I've actually slowed down for fear of damaging the airplane. Truly awful, probably worthy of severe (although I was still able to control the plane), and I say this as someone who's flown in a lot of crap.
Spend some time flying downwind of the Rockies. Ya hit some turb, recover the aircraft and continue on your merry way. Sometimes you can see it coming other times not so much.

worst turb I've ever been in was mountain wave. Thought the plane was going to come apart. Was unable to control airspeed or altitude. About the only thing I could do was attempt to keep the wings level. (and that was a futile effort at best)

Turbulence?

I was on a Southwest flight into Denver with enough heavy turbulence where my laptop was repeatedly airborne and I had to put it away. I was having a great time but there were people LOOSING THEIR MINDS screaming. Overhead bins were popping open but no one was flying out of their seats. I was more scared about the people freaking out than the mechanical safety of the flight...so yeah, I can see how it could be a "worst nightmare" especially when the media over sensationalizes it like everyone is gonna die on a plane every time a drink cart get a stuck caster.

As for the seat belts...I once hit the wake turbulence of a climbing 747 Heavy in my 182 and even though we were all strapped in, all three of us were launched into the ceiling of the cockpit. It was like hitting a brick wall in the air. Seat belts are designed to stop you from going forward and are not as efficient about pure vertical movement if they are not super tight.

Last edited:
I was on a Southwest flight into Denver with enough heavy turbulence where my laptop was repeatedly airborne and I had to put it away. I was having a great time but there were people LOOSING THEIR MINDS screaming. Overhead bins were popping open but no one was flying. I was more scared about the people freaking out than the mechanical safety of the flight...so yeah, I can see how it could be a "worst nightmare" especially when the media over sensationalizes it like everyone is gonna die on a plane every time a drink cart get a stuck caster.

Well now, a drink cart with a stuck caster that prevents the stew getting my drink to me is a cause of much concern and consternation. Please do not discount that.

All I know is I'm glad I wasn't on that flight. I hate turbulence and my wife even more.

Suggestion: Keep the freaking seat belt on.

worst turb I've ever been in was mountain wave. Thought the plane was going to come apart. Was unable to control airspeed or altitude. About the only thing I could do was attempt to keep the wings level. (and that was a futile effort at best)

Oddly enough I run into stuff all the time that behaves exactly like mountain wave but it's over the middle of the ocean !

Oddly enough I run into stuff all the time that behaves exactly like mountain wave but it's over the middle of the ocean !

Yeah. How the hell does THAT happen? I've seen that too.

Yeah. How the hell does THAT happen? I've seen that too.
I don't know either amigo but I know I don't like it. It's like the excorcist has taken over and I'm in a big ole aluminum tube with less G tolerance than a 152 !

Seatbelt sign was on, and yet some people still didn't have their seatbelts on. Maintenance had to get hair out of the lavatory bulkheads :eek:

Yeahbut they seem to turn the seatbelt sign on at the tiniest departure from absolutely smooth. Crying wolf.

I had this discussion with someone of the "can't be too careful" mindset. Sure you can, after a while, the pax won't believe you.

Interesting though. I think I might be too timid in rough air. Actually I don't think I've experienced truly rough air, but during bumps I tend to slow down a little bit so it doesn't come from together.

It would be good for me to experience moderate turbulence.

Back