Jetblue bad turbulance, 24 injured

Yeahbut they seem to turn the seatbelt sign on at the tiniest departure from absolutely smooth. Crying wolf.

I had this discussion with someone of the "can't be too careful" mindset. Sure you can, after a while, the pax won't believe you.

Yes, that would all be fine in a world without LAWYERS! Unfortunately that world does not exist.

Suggestion: Keep the freaking seat belt on.
Suggestion: Don't fly through thunderstorms. According to the article in the OP, all of the crew was injured (two required transport to hospital) and a replacement plane had to be flown in. I'm having a hard time blaming the passengers for this one.

Yeah, I'll just "choose" to bring that up when I get called onto the carpet for why I didn't have the seat belt sign on.
I have heard that in the airlines that the captain has discretion. We definitely do where I work, and I choose not to be trigger happy with the seat belt sign. You may choose otherwise.

Suggestion: Don't fly through thunderstorms. According to the article in the OP, all of the crew was injured (two required transport to hospital) and a replacement plane had to be flown in. I'm having a hard time blaming the passengers for this one.

Oh, they flew through a thunderstorm? How do you know this?

"...please remember to keep your seat belt buckled at all times..."

Flight Crews & Stews dont get paid per word. They actually mean it. Hopefully the ones that went negative g into the bins will remember next time they fly.

Flew for airlines for 24 years and always advised passengers to keep seat belts fastened at all times, even when I turned the sign off. Some things you cannot predict, like turbulence, and I keep mine fasten the entire time when I'm flying somewhere on an airline. It's amazing when I'm riding in the back to watch people unbuckle almost right after takeoff. And then when landing flight attendants having to tell someone 2-3 times to fasten their belt for landing.

I have heard that in the airlines that the captain has discretion. We definitely do where I work, and I choose not to be trigger happy with the seat belt sign. You may choose otherwise.

Ah yeah and how frequently do people ridding on your plane attempt law suits ? I'm thinking it's a number rapidly approaching ZERO. People try to sue major airlines for sport - think about it

Ah yeah and how frequently do people ridding on your plane attempt law suits ? I'm thinking it's a number rapidly approaching ZERO. People try to sue major airlines for sport - think about it

All it takes is one. Unfortunately people today do not take personal responsibility for their actions. So I don't blame the guy for being a bit careful.

Yes, CNN is always completely accurate with their reporting of all things aviation. They never ever state half-truths or embellish.

Yes, CNN is always completely accurate with their reporting of all things aviation. They never ever state half-truths or embellish.

But but CNN has Richard Quest, the aviation guru! :rolleyes:

Can't stand that guy when he starts with his theories and explanations.

I can't remember what outlet it was, but when MH370 disappeared, a headline on the screen was at one point "airliner will struggle to remain airborne after running out of fuel"...

Geniuses, all of them.

I understand. We must only pay attention to the parts of the article that support our preconceived notions.

What I meant to say is that I'm so thankful the heroic pilots saved the idiotic passengers from their near-certain suicide when they encountered completely unpredictable CAT thousands of miles from any convective activity while having a dance party in economy class! :confused:. (Pay no attention to the injured flight crew.)

Some are probably just as likely...

I have heard that in the airlines that the captain has discretion.

At my airline, it's up to a point. My manual tells me that it must be on in moderate or greater turbulence, so no discretion there. But I agree with your overall point that we tend to have it on more than we should. My personal line sits somewhere around light turbulence. Light chop and I'll leave it off, but when it gets to light turbulence, or I believe it'll soon be light turbulence, I'll flip it on.*

If we're in and out of light turbulence, I tend to just leave it on. A PA is required any time I turn it on, and nobody other than maybe my girlfriend and my Mom want to hear my voice on the PA any more than absolutely necessary. ;)

* I delegate seat belt and en-route PA duties to my FO when (s)he isn't the pilot flying.

At my airline, it's up to a point. My manual tells me that it must be on in moderate or greater turbulence, so no discretion there. But I agree with your overall point that we tend to have it on more than we should. My personal line sits somewhere around light turbulence. Light chop and I'll leave it off, but when it gets to light turbulence, or I believe it'll soon be light turbulence, I'll flip it on.*

If we're in and out of light turbulence, I tend to just leave it on. A PA is required any time I turn it on, and nobody other than maybe my girlfriend and my Mom want to hear my voice on the PA any more than absolutely necessary. ;)

* I delegate seat belt and en-route PA duties to my FO when (s)he isn't the pilot flying.
I agree. I will turn it on in moderate, or even "heavy light"; also descending below 180. My beef is with those who turn it on when there is a single ripple in the atmosphere. That seems to happen a lot on US airlines. I recently flew on a foreign carrier and was pretty impressed that they used approximately the same guidelines I would have used, and it was turbulent at times. I thought it might have been the individual crew, but I flew three more legs on that airline and they were all like that.

Last edited:
Yeah, Quest is an annoying British showboater. Much prefer Abend, O'Brien and Schiavo.

When I'm flying my RV, I keep the belts on all the time. You?

I can't remember what outlet it was, but when MH370 disappeared, a headline on the screen was at one point "airliner will struggle to remain airborne after running out of fuel"...

Geniuses, all of them.
I actually have that screenshot printed out and hanging in my office at work. It is a favorite among my visitors.

It says: the Boeing 777 will struggle to maintain altitude once fuel tanks are empty!

That is genius reporting right there. Thanks cnn.
Here are some highlights of their superb reporting on that airliner:

I actually have that screenshot printed out and hanging in my office at work. It is a favorite among my visitors.

It says: the Boeing 777 will struggle to maintain altitude once fuel tanks are empty!

That is genius reporting right there. Thanks cnn.

I'm just happy that no other plane suffers from that effect. I have no idea why Boeing designed the 777 that way.

Idiots!

I agree. I will turn it on in moderate, or even "heavy light"; also descending below 180. My beef is with those who turn it on when there is a single ripple in the atmosphere. That seems to happen a lot on US airlines. I recently flew on a foreign carrier and was pretty impressed that they used approximately the same guidelines I would have used, and it was turbulent at times. I thought it might have been the individual crew, but I flew three more legs on that airline and they were all like that.
Yeah and they also have a "loser Pays" type lawsuit system that we could learn even more from !

Yeah and they also have a "loser Pays" type lawsuit system that we could learn even more from !
You say that without even knowing what country's airline I'm talking about. If you're worried about being "called on the carpet", as you said in an earlier post, it probably doesn't matter what country you're in,

Back