jet dream ... be honest

Maybe I will build a scaled down replica of the Spruce Goose and call it the Plywood Pelican...
I can just picture now how ridiculous/awesome something would look with 8 Lycoming 360 on it... lol...

"what's your fuel burn in cruise?" - about 65 gph
"what's your cruise" - 110 knots

hahahahaha

Reminds me of a guy I took for his first GA plane ride earlier this year. After the flight, he became smitten with flying. He's an over-the-road independent trucker, so he's gone for long stretches. Apparently he was doing some research and sent me a photo of a Cirrus jet, said that's what he wants to do. I felt bad about revealing the realities of owning and maintaining a jet of any kind. I also apprised him of the costs of ownership of even the LSA I own. Took the wind completely from his sails. I really felt like I was kicking him in the nuts.

I think the only way to realistically pull something like this off is with multiple partners that are looking for that jet experience. When you start dividing the cost by multiples of 4 or more, the numbers become more manageable and by buying a jet that requires 2 crew members you can both log time while splitting the cost of the flight. Still won't be cheap and insurance requirements will be an issue but thats the only way I see someone with a limited budget pulling something like this off.

I think the only way to realistically pull something like this off is with multiple partners that are looking for that jet experience. When you start dividing the cost by multiples of 4 or more, the numbers become more manageable and by buying a jet that requires 2 crew members you can both log time while splitting the cost of the flight. Still won't be cheap and insurance requirements will be an issue but thats the only way I see someone with a limited budget pulling something like this off.

If you wanted a jet just for the lulz, wouldn't you be better off with an L-29 or L-39?, or one of the Sonex offerings?

If you have the budget to use a jet for travel, I can't think you'd be bothering with looking at an ancient Westwind.

Hey, if you're going to get a jet, get a jet. Think Boeing will sell us one of these? It's a trainer, after all, doesn't carry armaments.

t7a_gallery_new1_960x600.jpg

33,000 feet per minute initial climb, sounds like fun. If we all got together and formed a club, do you think we could afford one?

That's 326 knots... Straight up! :eek:

There is someone who owns a T-38 at KAFW... That'd be fun.

Reminds me of a guy I took for his first GA plane ride earlier this year. After the flight, he became smitten with flying. He's an over-the-road independent trucker, so he's gone for long stretches. Apparently he was doing some research and sent me a photo of a Cirrus jet, said that's what he wants to do. I felt bad about revealing the realities of owning and maintaining a jet of any kind. I also apprised him of the costs of ownership of even the LSA I own. Took the wind completely from his sails. I really felt like I was kicking him in the nuts.

He must have done some fairly shallow research if he needed you to dash his dreams. It’s not exactly a closely guarded secret that jets are expensive to buy and run...

He must have done some fairly shallow research if he needed you to dash his dreams. It’s not exactly a closely guarded secret that jets are expensive to buy and run...
True, though most non-pilots have not the vaguest clue what airplanes of any sort cost to buy or operate. I've had a lot of parents ask about it when I fly Young Eagles. I generally tell them it's like cars or boats. You can spend about what you'd spend on a car, or about what you'd spend on a house, or about what you'd spend on a small country.

It does not, however, take a lot of mental exercise to figure out that if the cost of owning and operating a jet even remotely approached "affordable", there would be a whole lot more people flying them.

It does not, however, take a lot of mental exercise to figure out that if the cost of owning and operating a jet even remotely approached "affordable", there would be a whole lot more people flying them.

Interestingly though my home airport is verily overrun with the things.

Just looking out on final some days there’s $50M worth of aluminum and landing lights out there, and another $20-$50M waiting in line.

I’m reminded of George Carlin.

“It’s a big club. But you’re not in it.”

LOL.

Just looking out on final some days there’s $50M worth of aluminum and landing lights out there, and another $20-$50M waiting in line.

I’m reminded of George Carlin.

“It’s a big club. But you’re not in it.”

LOL.
The vast majority of jets are not owned by individuals, but businesses. And even those in the top 0.1% of income in the entire US -- well, that's still over 300,000 people in 160,000 households with net worth and income in the tens of millions (per). That is a crap ton of money. So yeah, like everything else in this country, the raw numbers can look pretty big even when it's a very, very small segment of the population.

So, one Gulfstream on final and another one waiting to take off?

Hey, if you're going to get a jet, get a jet. Think Boeing will sell us one of these? It's a trainer, after all, doesn't carry armaments.

t7a_gallery_new1_960x600.jpg

33,000 feet per minute initial climb, sounds like fun. If we all got together and formed a club, do you think we could afford one?
Nah, Boeing's cost a lot.

But a 2 seat Cessna? How much could that be?
TAL-Scorpion-Media1-7360x4912.jpg

Back