Jet Blue

Hasn't JFK had a bunch of construction mucking things up the last few years too?
Yes, and ATC staffing issues at New York Center. And LaGuardia construction, and the idiotic new air traffic patterns at Newark the get constricted and restricted every. Time it even looks like rain.

Welcome to New York.

Just last month co-workers and I flew cross country for an important meeting. Three of us flew in on a Tuesday. Had a three hour meeting Wednesday afternoon and flew home Thursday. So at least 72 man hours given up for a three hour meeting. If it is important you do what you gotta do. Since 90+% of us don't like to travel on weekends we count Mondays and Fridays off business wise to allow travel.
And this is exactly why fractional/on demand exploded from the late 90's on.
A jet from Terboro, or any other eastern GA airport, and you could have left early am, done your meeting, and be back late that night.

Dollars vs efficiency...

Out of Newark it is neither of those. It's just more departures than the system can handle. And the airlines aren't sending out empty planes just to gum up the works. Obviously more folks want to fly and have more frequencies to do so.

Shhhh. The FAA says they're going to cram more airplanes into all the airports with ADS-B in their NexGen marketing.

We don't want the non-flying public to know there's places that are just too crowded to do that already, and definitely no mention of needing more airports as traffic loads increase.

:)

Yes, and ATC staffing issues at New York Center. And LaGuardia construction, and the idiotic new air traffic patterns at Newark the get constricted and restricted every. Time it even looks like rain.

Welcome to New York.

Shhhhhhh!

And this is exactly why fractional/on demand exploded from the late 90's on.
A jet from Terboro, or any other eastern GA airport, and you could have left early am, done your meeting, and be back late that night.

Dollars vs efficiency...

Of course that's led to people sitting in lines of aircraft at TEB waiting, in the modern era now, too. And that recent posting that one of the other airports out there in "amazingly overcrowded land" is working to kick GA out.

I'm glad we're busy but not that busy here in cowtown even after the population in the area has tripled since I was a kid.

It's amazing how many "operations" some of the coastal big airports do daily. It's also not much of a surprise that a rainshower can completely disrupt the entire system for hundreds of miles, let alone a real storm.

Our maintenance window to upgrade and replace NON-essential ATC gear at JFK was 30 minutes starting at midnight in the late 90s. I doubt they even allow that anymore.

The *essential* gear was installed in two or three deep layers of redundancy, and the off-line gear was swapped out for upgrades and such, and there were mandatory switches to the new stuff during non-peak times to test it for final acceptance, and mandatory numbers of days where a facility could have their main gear and their backup gear running different software versions, and what not. At least in the NY TRACONs coverage area.

Our "little" non-essential box wasn't under quite that much scrutiny, but it still took a mountain of paperwork and a number of meetings and plans to get permission to flip the power switch off and start the stopwatch one fine fall evening spent locked in a telecom closet/room.

I even had two full reload sets of floppy disks sitting there, one that traveled with me, and one that was shipped FedEx a week ahead of time, since they didn't want to risk any damage from X-rays or lost, smashed, whatever, baggage.... even though I only needed one disk out of the pile for the upgrades... and the guy from GTE brought a set from their test lab also just in case.

I don't even want to know how many copies of software the critical systems folk had to show up with, by how many methods of transport.

I suppose nowadays the techs just download the crap tethered to their cell phones, and have a USB stick as backup. LOL.

Same route tonight Southwest, 2 hours late, no notice, raced to get here. ..WHAT THE HELL IS THE MATTER WITH THESE FRICKING AIRLINES?

Same route tonight Southwest, 2 hours late, no notice, raced to get here. ..WHAT THE HELL IS THE MATTER WITH THESE FRICKING AIRLINES?

I'd ask if this was your first time riding on the airlines, but it's obviously not.

Maybe fly yourself?
I'm a few minutes from making my way to NYC and it will be my airplane and TEB for me

What was the route? There was a nasty line of storms on east coast

WHAT THE HELL IS THE MATTER WITH THESE FRICKING AIRLINES?
It's pretty simple. Demand exceeds system capacity, particularly in the NYC area. There is no room to reroute airplanes when weather makes some routes and airspace temporarily unusable.

Flying yourself can add reliability when weather is a factor. Approaching Dallas one day, there were tornados all over the place. I landed outside of town, waited an hour and went in just fine. People on airlines were delayed for days.

Regarding the discussion about smooth touchdowns - are we really evaluating an ATPs flying skill by the softness of their touchdown? Really? On this forum? I would figure nobody here would still subscribe to that old wives tale....

Passengers that demand instant gratification while not understanding weather delays and 121 regulations..??

Zeldman there hasn't been a weather delay up and down the California valley in several months. Make all the excuses you want. Fares are steep, seats suck and two 2 hour delays in a row in perfect weather is ridiculous.

Zeldman there hasn't been a weather delay up and down the California valley in several months. Make all the excuses you want. Fares are steep, seats suck and two 2 hour delays in a row in perfect weather is ridiculous.

Yes, because there are 3 extremely busy airports within 12 miles of each other in the California valley, that have significantly weather on a somewhat daily basis. Don't like it, take greyhound. NYC is always going to be a mess, no matter what you do, the minute there is a cloud north of ORF, east of PIT and south of YQB.

This guy is an ATP and thinks CA has had weather, no, make that significant weather daily in the valley (recently as my complaint refers to)......whew! Then off topics to NYC...?

Simple solution to this.

Start your own FRICKING AIRLINE!

Or are you afraid of quacking up?

image-w448.jpg

Back