It's your engine

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Your 0-300-A has a little over 100 hours since major to new standards.
You stand your 170 on its nose, while the engine is at idle.
TCM has no tear down AD, TCM "ADVISES" that the engine be disassembled and all steel parts be FPI inspected.

The crank dials less than maximum allowed.
The carb and airbox are damaged, as is the cowl.
Prop is destroyed, (evenly on both blades).

the owner has already made a plan to recover from this.

I'm curious, what would you do with the engine?

T.C.M.'s Service Bulletin 96-11, in a nutshell, says that if a propeller must be removed from the aircraft to be repaired following a propeller blade impact of any sort or if the engine physically lost R.P.M.'s from the incident, then the engine has experienced a propeller strike and it should be removed from service and completely disassembled and thoroughly inspected for damage from the incident.

http://tcmlink.com/fiddefault.aspx?cgroup=MATTITUCK&cpagename=SS

Teardown. Seen it happen three times. All three times something needed to be fixed.

would any one put a new prop on it and fly it home?

I had a airplane that I bought with damage history. It went down in a field and had a major prop strike. The engine was never tore down and it has flown about 600 hours since then with no issues. It was experimental (Christen Eagle).
If you need to get it home I would probably fly it if all looks ok.
The insurance company will take care of it. You don't need to get quotes, that's their job. They will tell you to take the motor to a engine shop and they will foot the bill. Or they could total the airplane???? Depends on the value of the plane vs the repairs.

like what?
Crankshaft on one. Bearings on another. Can't remember on the third but it was engine repair not just the prop. I personally think not doing the tear down is too risky. I do know of another plane that had a prop strike and they didn't opt for a tear down and the engine later had a catastrophic stoppage.

Last edited:
The 8 bolt crankshaft flange is wide and thin. The angle of incidence of the prop striking the ground on a taildragger noseover is such that it transmits a great deal of force to the fllange often cracking it. Prop strike inspection is in order. Charlie Melot Zephyr Engines

If insured, at 100hrs, shouldn't be much out of pocket in terms of betterment to bring it back into shape if the inspection does find a bent crank or other issue.

I personally would not take a chance, not even to fly it home. If something is going to happen, who knows WHEN it will happen? When you're off the ground and over the fence, or will it be kind enough to let you make it to several thousand feet over open hay meadow?

No thanks. I'll have it torn down or find an engine. In some ways I'm a risk taker, but I won't take risks when it comes to my butt in an airplane.

The insurance company will look at retrieval options and costs. If they can trailer an airplane back to base they will. Airlifting? They don't like helicopter retrieval system. In my case they paid mechanic costs and all transportation costs to have a new engine hung on a plane as it sat on a muddy river bank away from town. Once the motor was hung the plane flew home. That motor was toast. I've seen others that looked bad and got ferried out while others got airlifted out. Post-accident patching and ferry flying is some crazy stuff. I've seen guys fly cobbled-together airplanes out of unforgiving places. Big balls.

already done

Won't they want to know cost to repair?
How would you determine that number?

Insurance company will determine that by sending an adjuster.

I have a feeling the adjuster has a lot better handle on costs than anyone else involved. Doesn't he see it everyday? Every week?

Certainly a lot more than most mechanics do...

Your 0-300-A has a little over 100 hours since major to new standards.
You stand your 170 on its nose, while the engine is at idle.
TCM has no tear down AD, TCM "ADVISES" that the engine be disassembled and all steel parts be FPI inspected.

The crank dials less than maximum allowed.
The carb and airbox are damaged, as is the cowl.
Prop is destroyed, (evenly on both blades).

the owner has already made a plan to recover from this.

I'm curious, what would you do with the engine?

In the context of this hypothetical scenario I'm the owner and I'm not an A&P.

I would have the A&P disassemble the engine and inspect it (regardless of whether the insurance pays for any of the work).

It's my engine, and I'll cry if I want to.
Cry if I want to. Cry if I want to.
You would cry too, if it happened to you.

In the context of this hypothetical scenario I'm the owner and I'm not an A&P.

I would have the A&P disassemble the engine and inspect it (regardless of whether the insurance pays for any of the work).

not a hypothetical, just curious what you'd do.

Why would you need a ferry permit, to fly this home?

I'd call zephyr, speak with charlie, and arrange for its repair, have the engine removed and sent to him.

I'd call zephyr, speak with charlie, and arrange for its repair, have the engine removed and sent to him.

This is an engine I built, in a 170 that I fly. (occasionally) No I wasn't flying it this time. It was a tail dragger student under instruction.

Charley is a great reference, but he isn't the only one who knows the 0-300-?

not a hypothetical, just curious what you'd do.

Actually, it is a hypothetical. You asked what I (the general I) would do. You didn't ask what you should do, or what the actual owner should do.

Charley is a great reference, but he isn't the only one who knows the 0-300-?
Just based on personal experience, an adjuster is likely to recommend (and base the estimate) on one of two shops in Mena, AR for an O-300.

Just based on personal experience, an adjuster is likely to recommend (and base the estimate) on one of two shops in Mena, AR for an O-300.

would they now it has brand new cam, lifters, and cylinders? and base their estimate on that?

Whoa.....whoa....there.

All that stuff "use-to-be" new.....not no mo. :no:

There is a guy that is trying to sell a 1968 Cardinal with an engine he "freshly overhauled" (15 years ago) that never flew and was never signed off. My position on the pricing was the engine needs to come apart, paperwork audited, ADs checked, and basically overhaul it again though it may not need much if any machining.

The engine in the OP needs a prop strike inspection IMHO, including internal.

If insured, at 100hrs, shouldn't be much out of pocket in terms of betterment to bring it back into shape if the inspection does find a bent crank or other issue.

Until you get the bill for next year's premium...

Whoa.....whoa....there.

All that stuff "use-to-be" new.....not no mo. :no:

Do you believe the cam, lifters, and cylinders were harmed?

wouldn't any other shop price them in the price of the overhaul?

Back