It's over

Praying for a full recovery from whatever it is.

My heart is with you brother. I hope you are able to recover well and you are able to do as you wish- whatever that is...

I have asked questions repeatedly as a guy trying to shorten the learning curve of being a good owner, and you have always responded with thought, care and passion about how to properly care for a plane. I greatly appreciate all you have done for me...

I sure hope you don’t become a stranger but if fishing keeps you too active to post...well best of luck on the fishing gig...

So I read the first post and thought to myself, "it ain't over yet Tom". Then I read the post where the doc thinks it may not be a stroke. Hang in there Tom, sounds like there is still a lot of life left in you, get well quickly.

Here's to a speedy and complete recovery. You're one of my favorites on POA.

You have much knowledge to impart, hoping you have a speedy recovery.

Sorry to hear this and wish you the best.

If it was a stroke, the brain is remarkably resilient. Rehab may be a challenge, but is critical. Focus on what you can do, not what you can’t.

Sorry to hear about this Tom. I’m still going to continue to contradict you when your wrong though. Like “it’s over”. ******** it’s over. Last thing you should do is lay down and quit. Retire? Sure, if you can’t be productive or enjoy working, but don’t quit. Keep pursuing your passions as best you can.

Something very similar just happened to my FIL. Medics thought it was a stroke, then a transient ischemic attack, then simply "we dunno". In any event, he went from unable to move his legs for two days three weeks ago to out playing golf on father's day, albeit in a cart.
It ain't over, till it's over. Still early innings,

Tom, take really really good care of yourself. Major life changes wreak havoc on human biology. Do what the MD's tell you. I hope things turn out well.

Tom, I think the world of you. Always respected your posts. Enjoyed your humor. I'm just glad you're hanging in there.

Like others have said, I know many people who have been where you are and are doing very well now. My dad is one of them. Glad you're still posting - keep it up.

Tom at the very least, you still have knowledge and skills that you can pass on to others. Here's hoping that it isn't debilitating as you originally thought and you can continue to do what you do. Still go fishing and all that, you need to do that anyway.

Had one of my employees' mother recently get diagnosed with a stroke (slurred speech, mobility/balance issues, etc.) which they began treatment for. Within about 48hrs they changed the diagnosis to an allergic reaction to an antibiotic she had been taking related to recent surgery she had. The side-effects were very similar to a stroke, and they had the family in a panic, but once they stopped the antibiotics, she quickly recovered her faculties.

Sorry to hear that, Tom. Here's hoping for a speedy and complete recovery.

Best wishes!

hang in there Tom....do your best to use technology to get around. You can do it. God speed bro. ;)

Dang! Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you will be well and enjoy a long retirement if you can't get back to flying and wrenching.

It has been a long run no records broken, but every day was a personal best for me.
I started wrenching helping my Dad fix his 1939 SR 10-j when I was barley able pass a wrench.
then 18 months at Teterboro School of Aeronautics, to get my A&P then 6 months Wright factory school during my 22 years working on our uncle's aircraft, during which I attended both A&B schools for metal smith ratings then working at most every flying club of my home stations, after getting out of the navy in 1981 I worked keeping USN aircraft airworthy as a contractor, and as an A&P-IA on my customers aircraft, while restoring 3, 170s plus 1 F-24.

But it is over, this past weekend I suffered a mild stroke, (that is what my local GP thinks) leaving my left lower leg immobile.
So this next week will be full of Drs trying to find the best avenue to proceed.

Bottom line ?? = Retired. gone fishing or something.
Wish you the best my man. I find your post entertaining

Oh, How I love Medical facilities waiting rooms, Medicare computers, insurance company paper work.
That's how I spent most of my morning, but we got threw it and got 2 cat-scans completed, we now await the results.
The U-Dub medical center will read the scans and advise my Doc.
WE wait.

Oh, How I love Medical facilities waiting rooms, Medicare computers, insurance company paper work.
That's how I spent most of my morning, but we got threw it and got 2 cat-scans completed, we now await the results.
WE wait.
you're in one of the best places for medicine, so you have the going for you. :)

WE wait.

That's funny. I checked myself into the Urgent Care last week. No paperwork other than showing them ID and my insurance. Did labs, I've even got the results if I can find the password to get onto the internet chart site. Thankfully the illness that triggered the visit abated shortly thereafter (doesn't it always seem to work that way).

Sorry for your misfortune, Tom.

I would just like to throw out some food for thought.

I have dealt with significant physical challenges for the past 30 years. For an extended period of time I was isolated from the world by extreme physical pain that never lessened. I basically laid on the floor for 5 years of my life.

Finally, I decided I needed to somehow make some changes in order to start living again.

I began trying to figure out ways I could do some of the things I enjoyed, even with the excruciating pain. This was the start of the rest of my life.

For example, I loved to go to the movies, but there was no way I could sit in a chair for the length of a movie.

One day I just went and bought a movie ticket. I waited until they dropped the lights and then I laid down on the floor at the back wall of the theater, in line with the aisle. I laid there, on the rather sticky floor, and watched the whole movie and no one said anything.

I continued to do this for the next two years, even at different theaters.

In all that time no one ever said anything negative to me, or told me not to lay there. I have no idea what other people thought, and yes, it was a little embarrassing, but I got to watch my favorite movies on the big screen!

The moral of my little story is that I started to come up with creative ways to do the things I liked. I found all kinds of somewhat strange solutions to give me at least a part of my life back.

Just a thought to consider that things don't necessarily have to be over if you can find creative new ways to do the things you like. It may not be the way healthy people do them, but who cares if its something you like to do?

Sorry to read this.
I hope you don't mind me praying for your recovery.
Not at all. we need all the help we can get..
I believe the most difficult part is waiting to hear.

I believe the most difficult part is waiting to hear.

This. And then the recovery after a good diagnosis. The single most powerful emotional event I went through was melanoma diagnosis, excision, and the follow up.

But, attitude is everything. Winners never quit.

Sorry to hear about this Tom. I wish all the best for you!
I wish you'd get your A&P-IA, I'd load your ass up with work and keep you out of the streets.

Come on over I got work for ya.34V has no side tone and one rear seat mike jack doesn't work..
need some one to inspect /repair broken wires on the intercom multi pin connector.

I wish you'd get your A&P-IA, I'd load your ass up with work and keep you out of the streets.

Come on over I got work for ya.34V has no side tone and one rear seat mike jack doesn't work..
need some one to inspect /repair broken wires on the intercom multi pin connector.

I don't think I could get one without going to one of the $$$schools. The FAA says I don't meet the eligibility requirement for the waiver.

I'll give you a call later.

I don't think I could get one without going to one of the $$$schools. The FAA says I don't meet the eligibility requirement for the waiver.

I'll give you a call later.
Yeah the avionics types lost that about 10 years ago, Brian 32, is the last one I know who got one off the NEC for tweets

I as well am sorry to hear of your troubles . As you know I am new here but with anything I have posted whatever you replied has been helpful and welcoming to myself as a new member . You very much seem like someone I would to like call friend . Donny

Yeah the avionics types lost that about 10 years ago, Brian 32, is the last one I know who got one off the NEC for tweets
Wish I would have known about this say ... 35 years ago ... :)

Hang in there Tom! It ain’t over.
My brother in-law had a bad stroke a little over a year ago. He couldn’t walk and had a hard time talking. Today he is walking talking and driving.
Don’t give up, I’ll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Back