It's over

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
It has been a long run no records broken, but every day was a personal best for me.
I started wrenching helping my Dad fix his 1939 SR 10-j when I was barley able pass a wrench.
then 18 months at Teterboro School of Aeronautics, to get my A&P then 6 months Wright factory school during my 22 years working on our uncle's aircraft, during which I attended both A&B schools for metal smith ratings then working at most every flying club of my home stations, after getting out of the navy in 1981 I worked keeping USN aircraft airworthy as a contractor, and as an A&P-IA on my customers aircraft, while restoring 3, 170s plus 1 F-24.

But it is over, this past weekend I suffered a mild stroke, (that is what my local GP thinks) leaving my left lower leg immobile.
So this next week will be full of Drs trying to find the best avenue to proceed.

Bottom line ?? = Retired. gone fishing or something.

Awh, Tom! I’m sorry to hear of this!

I wish you well on your road to recovery and hope you remain active on the board.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Tom. Unfortunately you’re the second friend to suffer a stroke in the same week.

I hope that you enjoy your retirement. Fishing sounds like fun.

best avenue to proceed.
Staying vertical.

One of my most cherished mentors had suffered a massive stroke years ago and every morning he would check the obits to make sure he wasn't listed. While he couldn't hop up on a Stearman or slide into a Super Cub anymore he had more of one thing I didn't--knowledge. Don't let your knowledge go to waste. Find you a young buck mechanic who wants to learn and pass that knowledge on. Stay engaged. It worked for me and it can work for you.

As they say, it ain't over till the fat lady sings. Best of luck.

Tom, I am very sorry to hear your news. I have enjoyed your posts and learned a lot from you from before when you started the F-24 project.

But there is a second act here. Please remain active on the board!

-Skip

This is sad news Tom. Best wishes and prayers for a good recovery.

Take care of yourself. If the doctors start talking clots, listen carefully...

Prayers and best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

Rich

Tom,
So sorry to hear this. Prayers for a speedy recovery for you.
Greg

Tom, best wishes for a speedy recovery and getting back on your feet. Do you still have the motor home?

There you go! Get mobile, hook that Jeep to the back, and go fish!
Had a trip to Bella Coola BC planed salmon/Halibut fishing, next we'll see if this prevents it.

Last edited:
First of all, all the best with the tests, i hope everything works out for you. Please remember though, that even if it were to be the end of your professional endeavors, there are so many younger people who could benefit so much from a mentor with your knowledge and experience.

Best wishes Tom. As others have stated, you've been a great resource here. Looking forward to more of your posts

And selfishly I am still holding out hope you’ll help me when I do end up buying one of these beautiful antiques we love

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad whatever happened wasn't worse and I hope your recovery is speedy and full. If this does spell retirement for you, it will be disappointing that it wasn't on your terms but your health is more important.

Hey, hold on - it's early days; you might have a lot more recovery coming. Stand down, call it a day, if that's what you want, but don't presume that you won't get most (or even all) your mobility back.

And I'll send up a good thought for you tonight - good on ya brother!

Our Dr. call back says in so many words this may not be a stroke.
But to you all, thanks for all the well wishes.
we will see what this weeks test say.

We are pulling for you Tom. Hope it all turns out well. But that fishin' rod thing sounds tempting, no matter what.

Sorry to hear. Hope they find something reversible! Keep your head up.

Best wishes dude, that seriously sucks. A stroke is one of those lightning bolts from the sky that is very very scary to me.

I hope you understood that I "liked" your post not because of the bad news; but of your hopefully positive outcome, and perhaps retirement.

So sorry to hear this Tom. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hopefully you won’t end up having to call it quits unless it’s on your own terms. Please stay involved here, you have so much information to share.

Back