It's Final...We're Moving from CA to TX!

Y'all are getting too sensitive. Every where has their pluses and minuses. Everyone is different. Everyone likes certain things. Some like TX and some don't like TX, same for CA, and every state in this country. Why people knock others place of residence is ridiculous. Get over yourselves!

Rant over, carry on y'alls bickering.

This is actually kinda my point. I started out a bit aggressively to get the point across. If I started with what you wrote, I'd have gotten ignored with a dismissal about California kumbaya. Tailoring my style to my Texan audience, I have to admit to needling the small piece of South influence on Texas of the friendliness aspect. Texas is certainly not the South, but there's a bit of that influence that makes that surface friendliness part of the internal identity. Y'all bit. A little. ;)

Naaa, just a suggestion. A threat from me would be WAY more obvious. You're taking all this bantering way too seriously.

As noted, I'll be honest that I'm mostly aware of that. There's some hyperbole in my posts just as there is in the posts I'm responding to. Still...ripping California in welcoming a new Texan is pretty unfriendly, even if it's in jest. In the same way you'd react intensely negatively (as you did) to having Texas denigrated as a native Texan, why wouldn't you assume the same response from someone living in California?

@arnoha - Kudos to you for an excellent display of multi-quoting. We can all learn from your example. <-That was sincere praise

However, you clearly missed my point in the two quotes of mine that you used.

I said that Fairview is not friendly to the airport in their backyard. That happens far and wide in this country. Heck, SNA has the worst bunch of peeps living near a class C airport you'll ever find. How about Santa Monica? Those wonderful people REALLY love their airport, right? c'mon.

The other quote was that I don't like a lot of things about Texas.

How "unfriendly" of me....

Yeah, I was debating including your quotes. In the end, I decided I'd just go ahead and play the character. Thanks for the praise on the multi-quote. But you should rescind a bit of it...I deliberately excluded context when quoted. I added yours to add bulk. I will note that I didn't say that CA is always friendly, including to airports. That is categorically untrue: nearly every airport I fly from or to has some group that wants to see it closed. Just that you're not going to escape it heading to Texas. And, yeah, the second quote was taken entirely out of context. :)

Did I troll a bit? I trolled a bit. But not for shucks and giggles: I did have a point. Texans are classically open about the pride they hold in their state. "Don't mess with Texas" didn't come from nowhere. My mild rebuke resulted in the first post after being of popcorn! Someone knew what was coming (and, I admit, was actually a bit milder than I expected). It's a pretty natural reaction, and expecting both that (a) Texas should be protected from it, and (b) all others, particularly California, should just take it, isn't reasonable.

I was born and raised in CA. It doesn't bother me one single bit if someone rips on CA. I am not CA, I am simply a person born and raised there who until now never had both the desire and the opportunity to get out. I didn't get to chose where I was born.

To many, I suspect CA is the best place on earth. And for part of my life, it was. But the state has changed, and I've changed, and it's time to move on. I expect that every state has people that fit there. I just don't fit here anymore. And from what I've seen of Texas, I expect I'll fit much better there.

I was born and raised in CA. It doesn't bother me one single bit if someone rips on CA. I am not CA, I am simply a person born and raised there who until now never had both the desire and the opportunity to get out. I didn't get to chose where I was born.

To many, I suspect CA is the best place on earth. And for part of my life, it was. But the state has changed, and I've changed, and it's time to move on. I expect that every state has people that fit there. I just don't fit here anymore. And from what I've seen of Texas, I expect I'll fit much better there.

The comments weren't really aimed at you at all. Eh...I probably shouldn't have pooped on your thread. Just wasn't too happy about being told (by others) that where I lived made me an undesirable person.

"Don't mess with Texas" didn't come from nowhere. .

Actually it was a anti littering campaign. One Tv commercial had a B-17 in it, I believe it was called, "Yellow Rose of Texas", but that name could have been just for the commercial.

Just wasn't too happy about being told (by others) that where I lived made me an undesirable person.
I live nearby and where I live doesn't make me an undesirable person. My personality makes me an undesirable person. o_O

Nauga,
a**holier than thou

Actually it was a anti littering campaign. One Tv commercial had a B-17 in it, I believe it was called, "Yellow Rose of Texas", but that name could have been just for the commercial.

Damn you for actually knowing that too.

I still contend that that campaign resonated so well that the slogan stuck around long after the ads were over is because it actually reflects an aspect of Texan identity.

I still contend that that campaign resonated so well that the slogan stuck around long after the ads were over is because it actually reflects an aspect of Texan identity.

Yep, it was a good slogan, and it stuck well.!!!

Almost 20 years ago I was eating at a Texas Roadhouse Restaurant in West Virginia. All the wait staff were wearing T-shirts that said "Don't Mess With Texas". I asked our waitress what it meant. She said people from Texas are real bad a$$es and you should not **** anyone off. I thought it was pretty funny.

Now, if I really wanted to pull a pile of crap on my head, I'd say that I've had better BBQ in California than Texas...

Now, if I really wanted to pull a pile of crap on my head, I'd say that I've had better BBQ in California than Texas...

Just don't say it was at a Texas Roadhouse and you'll be safe enough.

Honestly, most of the time I go to BBQ here (Texas) I order turkey and Lisa get's ham. I don't like Hard 8 as much as others do, because I prefer Beef ribs and they only do Pork Ribs. The brisket and turkey is good though.

Note: It's a sin in North TX to say anything negative about Hard 8

Bless me father for I have sinned... the Hard 8 in Roanoke, TX sucks.

The one in Coppell is okay.

But if you want the best of the three, you gotta go to the original in Stephenville, TX

Damn guy, and here I was kinda on your side. Everyone knows Alabama BBQ the best, and like Zeldman said, says the local joints are the best. Here's one where I live:

IMG_3068.JPG

Ahh geez, now you've done it...

I'm apparently excessively bored today. I'll note I've actually had BBQ in Texas a very few times, but did have excellent BBQ in Junction on my way home from Florida to pick up my current airplane. So, sample size is small.

I will note that the executive chef here at work is a southern native as was the executive who hired him. Together, they cobbled up budget to make a pair of phenomenal BBQ/smoker trailers and rigs that are parked on our campus for making excellent BBQ for the entire campus. BBQ is what he made his name on. The giant tech company logo on the side of two ridiculous BBQ rigs looks a bit silly, but damn if it isn't good.

Damn guy, and here I was kinda on your side. Everyone knows Alabama BBQ the best, and like Zeldman said, says the local joints are the best.

Also, I've never had BBQ in Alabama, so cannot comment.

But if you want the best of the three, you gotta go to the original in Stephenville, TX

The now defunct one in Brady, TX was reputed to be the original. But that wouldn't fit with their current marketing. Rumor there is that when the dad kicked the bucket none of the kids wanted to move back to Brady and keep it going, so it closed. [Note: can blame them much]

Damn guy, and here I was kinda on your side. Everyone knows Alabama BBQ the best, and like Zeldman said, says the local joints are the best. Here's one where I live:

You live there? Dang you guys are serious about your BBQ.

You live there? Dang you guys are serious about your BBQ.

Oh yeah. If you ever go to an SEC football game there's some great cookin' going on from people tailgating. My son and son -in-law seem to enter BBQ contests (usually for a good cause) every year. You attend, pay a small fee, and walk around eating samples from every participant. Fun.

Just to enhance the thread-creep, I would suggest that the true test of desirability lies in what state would you live in if your state of origin or the one in which you essentially grew up in / identified with in your formative years was "off the menu" and you had the means/opportunity to choose one of the other 49?

Texans are an extremely proud people, you will not get an unbiased view from them on their state, I much rather trust a group of people who have nothing but criticisms for their state, it's easy to find most of the pros via the tourism and business boards :) I do love some parts of TX (Hill Country probably being my #1 choice in the state), damn I need some Texas BBQ (I keep up with the Texas Monthly ratings/reviews all the way from CA...).

Anyhow my state of choice I think at the moment would probably be NC (note I am not from CA originally and didn't move here until my mid 20s, so I could have theoretically chosen CA in this thought-exercise, if it wasn't for the group of people in LA and SF driving the states direction, and the population density was lower, I probably would pick coastal CA for the weather and amazing natural landscapes).

Anyway congrats on the move and new opportunities, may I suggest a BBQ-crawl immediately upon arrival, it should be mandatory :)

... I prefer Beef ribs and they only do Pork Ribs.

Heim BBQ on Magnolia is the place to be. Anyone flying in would have to go to Meacham and find a ride down there, but that's the best 'cue I've had, and that includes the the big guns down in Lockhart.

There may be some truth to that, but it was a pretty big campaign. Right off hand, I can think of Stevie Ray Vaughn, Willie Nelson, George Foreman, George Strait, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, and Chuck Norris doing the TV spots. I'm sure there were more (and this was back in the 80's, so these were big names at the time).

"Don't mess with Texas" didn't come from nowhere.
Some are paying attention! That's good. :)

I remember seeing the how-it-was-filmed video first before seeing the actual commercial on TV. It was pretty funny. They had to get the timing right and did several low passes, some so low that the crew was ducking for their lives. :D

The "Don't mess with Texas" campaign is pretty big and popular, lots of country stars lend their voices to teach lazy dumbasses to keep their litter in their cars. (I hate a-holes who throw their **** everywhere)

Some are paying attention! That's good. :)

I remember seeing the how-it-was-filmed video first before seeing the actual commercial on TV. It was pretty funny. They had to get the timing right and did several low passes, some so low that the crew was ducking for their lives. :D

The "Don't mess with Texas" campaign is pretty big and popular, lots of country stars lend their voices to teach lazy dumbasses to keep their litter in their cars. (I hate a-holes who throw their **** everywhere)

That is awesome..!!!! I haven't seen that commercial in years..!!!

Lot of people now think that is a warning to the rest of the country, but it originated against Texans that throw trash out on the highways.

I don't know. Where might I have gotten that idea?

politically and culturally Texas is quite a bit different than CA...

As for me... I would much rather live in CA, I have spent quite a bit of time in the Bay Area and L.A and love both.. especially the climate and progressive nature of the people.

However... the brisket in TX......

MMMM....

It is impossible to get good brisket outside of Texas, I have heard Oklahoma has some good places but I have never been there.

Just don't say it was at a Texas Roadhouse and you'll be safe enough.

Honestly, most of the time I go to BBQ here (Texas) I order turkey and Lisa get's ham. I don't like Hard 8 as much as others do, because I prefer Beef ribs and they only do Pork Ribs. The brisket and turkey is good though.

Only been to the Hard 8 in Stephenville. But it's about the ambiance. Their brisket is good. So are their poppers. But there is some exceptional Q in North Texas. Pecan Lodge is another place that I like but I think is overrated other than the Brisket. Of the less well known places, Big Al's is excellent and has great beef ribs. Kirby's in Mexia is great, and from around here, really only convenient by plane.

I feel the same way.. I lived in southern CA (Temecula and south) for 38 years. Moved to NV 3 years ago, and haven't looked back

I just ate at the one in Coppell last night and it was awesome. First time there, still smell the smoke.

I just ate at the one in Coppell last night and it was awesome. First time there, still smell the smoke.
As I said, Coppell is okay as it's been in operation long enough for the pits to get well seasoned with all the cooking. Roanoke hasn't been open long enough.

And next time you go to Hard8 and aren't too keen on brisket or sausage, try their pork chop. It's really good and big enough to affect local gravity.

As you can tell from many of the postings here, far too many residents in Texas still live under the mistaken impression that Texas is a separate country from the USA. Of course you must remember that the National Sport of Texas is Football (try to convince me that the Cowboys are still America's Team....) and entire cities come to a screeching halt on Friday nights for high school football. Texas spends more money on high school stadiums than some college teams, even some pro teams.

Not only did I escape from Buffalo, NY, I did time in Houston. Far too much time. Time in Austin was fun, before it became wierder than it is now. Altho I would move to Dallas if necessary, but no where else.

I never been to Austin TX but I keep reading about how weird it is.....What is the deal?

Austin had some pros and cons.

Pro:
State Capital
Nice University
Varied geography (it ain't flat like the rest of the state)
Great airport access

Con:
State Capital (lots of liberals)
Nice University (breeding ground of liberals)
Airport doesn't ship them liberals out fast enough
Property taxes are higher than anywhere else in the state

I've told people I think Austin is the best city in Texas. They asked if I wanted to move to Austin. I said NO, there are 50 states, each with a best city.

Yep, it was a good slogan, and it stuck well.!!!

Almost 20 years ago I was eating at a Texas Roadhouse Restaurant in West Virginia. All the wait staff were wearing T-shirts that said "Don't Mess With Texas". I asked our waitress what it meant. She said people from Texas are real bad a$$es and you should not **** anyone off. I thought it was pretty funny.
Ever take a look at Corp HQ for Texas Roadhouse? I doubt any of the original owners were ever in Texas other than to open a new location.

Nah....the original Salt Lick.

I have lived and worked in both Texas and California.

Draw a line from Laredo to Wichita Falls and I've spent time and/or worked in most towns east of that line over 5,000 pop. And I had an office in Houston (right next to Hobby) for a couple of years.

In California, I was involved with high-rise hotel projects in Irvine, La Jolla and Humboldt Bay. And then, in a later career, numerous trucking terminal projects across the state. I had an office in San Jose for 18 months.

Each has their strengths and weaknesses but given the choice, I'll pick CA any day...west of the coastal range.

The TX heat is more than enough to keep me away. No offense to my TX friends here but I don't much like the state, except for the Hill Country and Austin.

Except for the river walk area, San Antonio is the biggest slum I've ever been to. Drove every square inch of that town over the course of a week or so looking at markets. Kept waiting for the good part of town to come. It never did. And then there's Galveston Island. I was expecting something upscale like most islands are. Boy...was I wrong.

But, then again, the entire interior valley of CA is a linear slum. And in the valley, just like in Florida, slave labor is alive and well in the good ol' U.S. of A. It's no longer black but it's still in agriculture.

But I do applaud TX, someone has to sacrifice the health of their citizens and environment to provide the energy needs for the rest of the country and TX stepped up to the plate in doing that.

But I can't say too much: After all I reside in Missouri. A state that thanks god that Indiana exists because if it wasn't for them then we'd be known as the most racist, redneck, whiteboy state in the union!

No snark in that post at all! :)

Last edited:
Thank god for the Texas heat! I hear it's going to be really hot in Arkansas mid-October this year. More good news.

Here ya go....Names are a little dated now due to pc garbage....

22007937_1390665614386088_8701279700397135113_n.jpg

Back