It's Final...We're Moving from CA to TX!

Rykymus

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rykymus
After a week-long recon of the general McKinney, Plano, Allen, Frisco, and surrounding areas, we have signed a lease for a transition home in Fairview. Ten minutes from shopping, golf, ice hockey, and the airport. I won't be able to get a hangar at KTKI, so I'll be on a tie-down for now. (I'll buy a good plane cover, and move the plane when weather comes. It will be an excuse for the wife and I to take a little trip.)

We'll be moving the end of October. Due to work, I doubt I'll be able to move the plane before we move. I know very little about the seasonal weather patterns in Texas, (or anywhere outside of CA, for that matter) and was looking for advice on when the weather would be best for the flight. I'd like to move the plane in October, before we move, but reality may be November. As long as I get the plane out of CA before 1 minute after midnight, Jan 1 2018. (At which point the county will bill me another AMU.)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Moving the plane when weather comes might be interesting...

Still it has to be better than CA

Except Buffalo, NY

But seriously...early mornings. Heading south thru CA puts you in the southern route, but be aware that most of SE Cal & SW AZ is MOA/R, so check times/altitudes. Get towards Kingman, AZ over to Prescott following I-40 to Albuquerque, then ESE to Fairview. Can do the entire trip a 9500 to ABQ, then it's all downhill.

After a week-long recon of the general McKinney, Plano, Allen, Frisco, and surrounding areas, we have signed a lease for a transition home in Fairview. Ten minutes from shopping, golf, ice hockey, and the airport. I won't be able to get a hangar at KTKI, so I'll be on a tie-down for now. (I'll buy a good plane cover, and move the plane when weather comes. It will be an excuse for the wife and I to take a little trip.)

We'll be moving the end of October. Due to work, I doubt I'll be able to move the plane before we move. I know very little about the seasonal weather patterns in Texas, (or anywhere outside of CA, for that matter) and was looking for advice on when the weather would be best for the flight. I'd like to move the plane in October, before we move, but reality may be November. As long as I get the plane out of CA before 1 minute after midnight, Jan 1 2018. (At which point the county will bill me another AMU.)

Dont know if it would be worth it to save an AMU, but you may want to see what a tiedown somewhere in NV or AZ might be if something delays you getting out of CA in time but you still are close to getting it the rest of the way to TX.

I haven't lived in Texas since the eighties but you will, unless you land in Austin, find it a completely different mindset than those in California have. Adjust and learn to get along with them and all will be fine and work in your favor. Resistance is futile.:D

Welcome to TEXAS!!!!!

Congrats on achieving escape velocity!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I haven't lived in Texas since the eighties but you will, unless you land in Austin, find it a completely different mindset than those in California have. Adjust and learn to get along with them and all will be fine and work in your favor. Resistance is futile.:D

I totally get what you are typing here and it's true no matter where you move to.

Congrats. Get your subscription to Texas Monthly and read the Texanist column to begin adjusting to our culture.

Congratulations on getting out of CA! I'm not in Texas, but close (Arkansas).

Oct - Dec is fine unless there are cold fronts, then it will pass within a short time. Getting along here is very easy. Be nice, be honest, don't say "we did it this way in CA" we tend to eat meat, chicken fried steak, and just about anything else fried. Seriously though, we are not backward unless you Yankee up on us. You will find the people very welcoming, open and glad to have you.
State law! You have to buy a Suburban, a Ford truck and a bumper sticker that says " I wasn't born here but I got here as fast as I could". The state as a whole tends to be more conservative except for the people's republic of Austin.

Weather patterns. North Texas definitely has four seasons but only one that sticks around for a while. You will be mowing grass in February and the summers tend to be a might warm and long.

I base out of Georgetown, let everyone know when you are headed this way and we can fill you in on some great fly in places. If your boss likes crafts, and shopping in general then I highly suggest flying to Fredericksburg, stay in the Hangar Hotel and go into town. She can shop, buy tons of Texas themed stuff and you can spend a full day at the Nimitz museum.

Welcome to Texas

To be honest, I'd much rather they don't bring California equity with them. That to me has done more damage to the affordability of the region than any differing socio-political ideologies ever did. I could write a comprehensive review of the dynamics at play here, but this venue isn't conducive to the kind of criticism necessary to qualify this answer. Bottom line, bring the talent and cultural diversity, leave the housing price points.

First, I will NOT bring CA with me. I'm trying to escape the entire attitude of CA, not just their high prices and gross taxation. After only a week in Texas, I am embarrassed to admit that I spent so much of my adult life in CA. I love the state's geography and weather, but honestly, CA could screw up a wet dream. From what I've seen in Texas thus far (at least in the northeast part of the DFW metroplex) Texas does things a lot more "right" than CA. What truly amazed me was that things that normally take days or even weeks to get done in CA take minutes in Texas. They just get things done. Our biggest concern was the humidity, which despite 94 degree 90% humidity was no big deal. (In fact, my wife felt better than she normally does here.)

Normally, when one gets home from a trip, one is happy to be home. The drive from SFO back to Stockton made me want to get right back on the plane and return. I wish I could move sooner than the end of October.

Incidentally, we decided to move the plane after Thanksgiving. I didn't like the idea of the plane sitting outside in Texas while I was still in CA, as I'd be unable to move it out of the way of weather. I don't mind paying my hangar here for a few more months, knowing that the plane is safe while I'm away.

After a week-long recon of the general McKinney, Plano, Allen, Frisco, and surrounding areas, we have signed a lease for a transition home in Fairview.

Guns and a pickup. Or a Suburban. They're on the MEL for living in Texas.

It might have been you that I told about North Texas before. Fairview is basically Mckinney/Allen. You will be on most any hangar list within an hour or two driving distance for years. Been there, done that. I would start investigating hangars at private fields or flying communities. Dont tie down a nice plane outside in North Texss. Heat, hail, and everything else will rot it into the ground. At a bare minimum get a hail shed which is a covered tie down. I am pretty sure you can get one at Bonham Jones Field ( F00). The manager there is Lance. It would be about a 45 minute drive from Fairview. In fact, it is possible that you might get one of the newer T hangars there.

Lance is a local boy. He is as country as Turnip Greens, but if you will treat him
With kindness and respect, he will do his best for you. If you can get a hail shed and show him you are a good tenant, you might get a hangar later.

As a fourth generation Texan I can say that you have gotten good advice in this thread. If you help people they will help you. If you dont mock their accent or imply that the way we do things is wrong because you did things differently back home, most Texans will take you under their wing and make you feel at home. That said, where you are moving you will find that most of your neighbors are not originally from Texas either.

When you get moved, make it to the flight museum in Mount Pleasant(KOSA) and let me know you're coming. Great airport, great museum.

For an AMU a month, you might be able to rent a private hangar right away somewhere close like Aero Country. I ended up at LNC within a few months but turned down a couple offers for $500/month around here.

Welcome to Texas.

I am worried a bit, however, that you Texans are gonna laugh at my Honda Ridgeline.

That would be pretty shallow. Lots of folks drive big SUV's or four door trucks, but that doesnt mean you must. If someone laughs at you because of what you drive, they probably arent worth getting acquainted with anyway. I have multiple vehicles and folks are surprised sometimes because I show up in my regular cab 4X4, a Mustang GT or my Mercedes SLK. Dont pay any attention to what people drive. As long as they dont hold you at gunpoint to make you drive what you dont want, all is good. Oh,.... gunpoint.......yeah, many Texans exercise their right to carry. Dont worry about it. It only means that if something happens there is a possibility that there is someone near you with a chance to fight back. If

I have lived in many places including DFW suburbs, in the boonies and in small towns far from the cities. I even lived in Germany for two years. My experience is that except for the occasional anal pore, people will treat you well if you are treating them well. Where you are moving you might even fit in better by NOT being a Native Texan.

I am worried a bit, however, that you Texans are gonna laugh at my Honda Ridgeline.

Oh HELL no! That's not a proper truck, in spite of what MBDiagMan says. That two years in Germany musta damaged him. We *will* at least snicker a little at your Ridgeline, maybe not in front of you, but we will...

For an AMU a month, you might be able to rent a private hangar right away somewhere close like Aero Country.

No you wont. Im on the list at AeroCountry. Somehow I lucked into a hangar at DTO, but I would have rather been at AeroCountry cuz its closer, but DTO is a nicer airport.

@Rykymus - Don't tell anyone in Fairview that you fly one of them noisy little planes out of TKI. Them people are the sole reason for the noise abatement procedures there. There was an old rumor that the new runway was constructed in part to move the South departures farther East to appease a particularly loud neighborhood group. I doubt that was the case, but it made for good chin waggin.

{Taxiway B used to be the runway before the new one was built. I think the real reason for the new runway was to handle heavier aircraft. The length didn't change IIRC]

The October, November, December all will be good flying in Texas. Look me up when you get here. I flew out of TKI getting my license and am now based at Denton /DTO. We'll go grab a beer and I'll make fun of you for being from CA...:D
Add me to this event and I'll purchase the second round.

If you voted for California democrats, please leave your politics in Calif or you will be sorely disappointed.

The good thing about TX winter weather, and November can see some, is that the cold drizzles only last a few days and then it gets nice again.

As you can tell from many of the postings here, far too many residents in Texas still live under the mistaken impression that Texas is a separate country from the USA. Of course you must remember that the National Sport of Texas is Football (try to convince me that the Cowboys are still America's Team....) and entire cities come to a screeching halt on Friday nights for high school football. Texas spends more money on high school stadiums than some college teams, even some pro teams.

Not only did I escape from Buffalo, NY, I did time in Houston. Far too much time. Time in Austin was fun, before it became wierder than it is now. Altho I would move to Dallas if necessary, but no where else.

Texas still live under the mistaken impression that Texas is a separate country from the USA
Perhaps because for 9 years way back when..... we were!

And here's fifty dollars to prove it!

Republic_of_Texas_Fifty_Dollars.jpg

No laughing here... they make good parts vehicles.

Mike,
It used to be a standing joke between Harley riders and Gold Wing riders that one Gold Wing followed the pack because someone had to go for parts. It was meant in fun. I put almost 100,000 miles on my Wing and never had to stop and help a Harley rider in distress.

Mike,
It used to be a standing joke between Harley riders and Gold Wing riders that one Gold Wing followed the pack because someone had to go for parts. It was meant in fun. I put almost 100,000 miles on my Wing and never had to stop and help a Harley rider in distress.

The other standing joke is that 85% of all Harleys ever made are still on the road. The other 15% made it home.

Jim

Texas spends more money on high school stadiums than some college teams, even some pro teams.

True that... Note Katy Texas got a grand new football worship center two weeks before the flood.

And the people I know in Texas get all silly when they see that a High School in California get a "new Olympic sized swimming pool." I just laugh... EVERY High School in LA an Orange County has an Olympic sized swimming pool. But where I grew up (Placentia) we had only one football worship center for 3 high schools.

Texas spends more money on high school stadiums than some college teams, even some pro teams.
During PPL training, instructor and I discussed how to rectify being lost. He suggested the water towers with the town name on it. I said the high school football stadium with the name in the endzone.

But where I grew up (Placentia) we had only one football worship center for 3 high schools.
I grew up in La Mirada -- same deal with communal football facilities. My undergrad school, U.C. Irvine, had no football program at all at the time, but had a National Champion water polo team.

And haven't you noticed? In L.A., one of the NFL teams plays on a college soccer field, and the other can't pay people to show up in a 93,000-seat stadium.

:confused:

Back