It's Final...We're Moving from CA to TX!

As you can tell from many of the postings here, far too many residents in Texas still live under the mistaken impression that Texas is a separate country from the USA .

Gonna be funny when Mexico decides they want TX back!

:popcorn:

Texas seems a pretty unfriendly place from this thread. Why move there?

I grew up on Texas and played high school football in '72-'76 seasons. Back then, Fridaynightfootball was one word. Old.... er, I mean senior citizens would ask a high schooler, "What skewl do ya go to..??? next questions was, "What position ya playl..???

If the answer was "I play (insert position here)", the conversation went on.

If the answer was, "I don't play football", end of conversation....

Texas seems a pretty unfriendly place from this thread. Why move there?

Huh? I may have missed your joke.

I'll agree that Texas sucks in many ways.... but unfriendly? Where did you get that?

I was going to offer my condolences on the move, but it seems like you're excited to move to Texas. :dunno:

I spent a little while working there and couldn't get out fast enough. I'm happy to visit, but I couldn't live there. That heat is just oppressive. I'll take the snow, and ice up here in New England any day over the >110 cloudless days y'all get down there. <yuck>

I will offer that Fearings Resturant in Dallas is very enjoyable. As is Damien's Cajun Soul Cafe. They're on opposite sides of the $$$ spectrum but I highly recommend both places. YUM!

Last edited:
I've never lived in CA or TX, but visit both several times a year and would say you are definitely making the right decision!

I welcome new Texans, as long as they bring a good attitude.

I lived in California for a while, loved it, but did so knowing I'd ultimately come back to Texas, and indeed I did.

Welcome...you will fit in fine...even with that cute Japanese truck...then again I have plenty of things with Honda on it around the house...

By the way, no one will chastise you for a Ridgeline - well-crafted vehicle. Just don't cal it a "truck."

---Smart axx disclaimer---
Congrats on the move. People in TX are friendly for the most part. I used to live there. Went to HS there. Best place for HS football or any football for that matter. Cost of living is by far better there than CA, but there are many reasons for that, just like it is cheaper to live in certain states. CA is too big and offers too may different areas to live, to peg it. Not hard to peg the politics and taxes, though.

You will need a gun rack for your pick up truck and repeat after me....How ya'll doin? We fix'in to go mudd'in if'n we can git that there steer out the road. I see cowboy boots and a chaw ring in your wranglers in your future.

Then here's what you are looking at regarding just alcohol....

Where to Buy Alcohol

Laws governing alcohol sales are strictly governed by local ordinances. Some generalizations follow.

Alcohol is purchased in private retail stores from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., although beer and wine may be available at grocery stores and convenience marts. Liquor stores are closed on Sundays, and restaurants may only sell alcohol in conjunction with food between 10 a.m. and noon on Sundays. Bars and restaurants serve alcohol Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 a.m., in general.

Got it? Lol. The point is not that alcohol consumption or purchase is a major deal for most, it's just interesting that the gov has to control it for you. There's other weird laws there, too, but you'll have to find out fer yerself. TX would probably be my second pick after CA, but I am still too active and enjoy the outdoors (other than hunt'in) too much to go Eastward. Most friends that moved to CO, came back. Many that go to TX, do the same. Many never come back. Now, if we could just get more to leave. Congrats, and enjoy!

Both Texas and California are big states. I like the coast of California, from about Santa Barbara northward. I would not choose to live in Stockton. While I would also not choose to move to Texas, there are places that are more favorable than others. Midland, no.

Both Texas and California are big states. I like the coast of California, from about Santa Barbara northward.
From Mission Bay (San Diego) north to Oceanside is pretty nice.

I would not choose to live in Stockton. While I would also not choose to move to Texas, there are places that are more favorable than others.

Aha! The OP isn't escaping California. He's escaping Stockton. Can't get much worse than Stockton.

Still it has to be better than CA

As is almost anywhere

Except Buffalo, NY

Adjust and learn to get along with them and all will be fine and work in your favor. Resistance is futile.

Congratulations on getting out of CA!

Do Texas (and yourself) a favor and don't bring California with you.

I am worried a bit, however, that you Texans are gonna laugh at my Honda Ridgeline.

Oh HELL no! That's not a proper truck

@Rykymus - Don't tell anyone in Fairview that you fly one of them noisy little planes out of TKI.

You can always trade it in on a REAL truck!!

No laughing here... they make good parts vehicles.

If you voted for California democrats, please leave your politics in Calif

As you can tell from many of the postings here, far too many residents in Texas still live under the mistaken impression that Texas is a separate country from the USA.

Huh? I may have missed your joke.

I'll agree that Texas sucks in many ways.... but unfriendly? Where did you get that?

I don't know. Where might I have gotten that idea?

I don't know. Where might I have gotten that idea?

We get it. You don't like Texas and that's OK. Other people do like Texas. Sorry if you had a bad experience. The OP is excited and looking forward to life change that suits him/his family. I'm happy for them.

We get it. You don't like Texas and that's OK. Other people do like Texas. Sorry if you had a bad experience. The OP is excited and looking forward to life change that suits him/his family. I'm happy for them.
Agreed. Criticism of Texas is clearly making some people uncomfortable. We should get this thread back on track and resume criticizing California.

Nauga,
who hasn't always gotten to choose where he lives

Agreed. Criticism of Texas is clearly making some people uncomfortable. We should get this thread back on track and resume criticizing California.

Nauga,

lol "hasn't always gotten to choose where he lives", so true.

Dad was career Air Force so I grew up as a military brat, and then when he retired I went in the AF for 20 years. Ended up in Alabama but everywhere I've lived has been good, you adopt. Except Cairo West. Nice beach but no water. No plumbing either, just a hole in the ground. :D

Last edited:

I didn't say I don't like Texas anywhere. Rather, it's pretty clear that Texans are being pretty open about really not liking me. That strikes me as unfriendly. I said as much. Don't read what I didn't write.

You apparently have no sense of humor and your sarcasm detector is broken; might wanna get that checked out...

I don't know, you tell me... Does that sound like humor and sarcasm to you?

You might should stay in CA...

That sounds like a threat.

Nauga,

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for spirited discussion about areas for improvement; I just don't understand the purpose/context of that particular post.

@arnoha - Kudos to you for an excellent display of multi-quoting. We can all learn from your example. <-That was sincere praise

However, you clearly missed my point in the two quotes of mine that you used.

I said that Fairview is not friendly to the airport in their backyard. That happens far and wide in this country. Heck, SNA has the worst bunch of peeps living near a class C airport you'll ever find. How about Santa Monica? Those wonderful people REALLY love their airport, right? c'mon.

The other quote was that I don't like a lot of things about Texas.

How "unfriendly" of me....

Y'all are getting too sensitive. Every where has their pluses and minuses. Everyone is different. Everyone likes certain things. Some like TX and some don't like TX, same for CA, and every state in this country. Why people knock others place of residence is ridiculous. Get over yourselves!

Rant over, carry on y'alls bickering.

You should be aware that "Talk like a Pirate Day" is not an official holiday in Texas - unlike California (and Michigan).

I think @X3 Skier meant to say "Argggggg"

By the way, when is Talk Like a Pirate Day? <-that wasn't an actual question me maties.

Didn't Chuck Norris live in CA before he became a Texas Ranger?

Cheers

My high school football coaches would always yell... "Get off the ground, your killing the ants".... because we didn't have grass, I guess.

Y'all are getting too sensitive.

Getting? They've been that way for a long time around here. LOL.

If you'd have told them "It's okay, there's boobies everywhere." And provided photos from California and Texas both, proving your point, they'd ban you again. LOL.

Nothing says "sensitive" in aviation social media circles like saying "PoA". LOL.

Back