It looks like I'm not flying.....

After weeks of gloom and grey, the weather in Central Indiana magically cleared (NOT in the forecast!) yesterday afternoon, and it was 60+ degrees. In late January... There were planes everywhere in the late afternoon, and I SERIOUSLY considered a Blue Sky Flu Day to join them. But, that whole responsibility thingy and the need to work to pay for my flying prevented it. Today, the gloom has returned.

After weeks of gloom and grey, the weather in Central Indiana magically cleared (NOT in the forecast!) yesterday afternoon, and it was 60+ degrees. In late January... There were planes everywhere in the late afternoon, and I SERIOUSLY considered a Blue Sky Flu Day to join them. But, that whole responsibility thingy and the need to work to pay for my flying prevented it. Today, the gloom has returned.
Now THAT is frustrating! Similar WX here, although it clouded over (see above). The radio was buzzing yesterday here in central Ohio and there were even 4 planes doing pattern work at my home drome as I taxied in. :blueplane:

Another day of talking about weather and air spaces with 4kt wind outside and 3200ovc ... sat there and watched jets flying around... icing

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Today the Metar changed from LIFR to IFR only for the Detroit entire area (we had LIFR since Saturday afternoon). Weather is improving... :lol:

Upps - it's back to LIFR... :( Last time I looked, we had IFR condition. That was around 5 pm...

The forecast for Charlotte is sunny!!!:happydance:

But not until Tuesday. :(

79541193_400x400_bg-white.jpg~original

Oh yeah!! It's Tuesday and the sun has arrived!!!

The weatherman amazingly got it right.

See you all later. I'm going up.

I've logged only 2.1 hrs since my solo Nov 10th. 1.6 flying down to Provo for my first towered airport experience and .5 that I was able to sneak in a few trips around the pattern.

Seriously jonesing for some body-earth separation.

I had the same problem here when I was in training years ago, but it was with MASSIVE winds (exceeding 35 knots). I adjusted my work schedule in an attempt to schedule Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday. In a good week, the weather was flyable on ONE of the three scheduled flights. Only grief I got was from the FBO that stated," You better be ready to fly all of them if the weather holds." I always was .... slowed training down a ton as there were several weeks where ALL 3 were knocked out.

Preparing for solo, the CFI was nervous on one "breezy" day and didn't want to solo me (wanted the crosswind less than max demonstrated for the 152 at least for a new student - we trained above that as it is always windy here). The following week I waved off as I noticed a better date approaching (unique number) ... CFI wasn't thrilled and indicated if it was windy on my "preferred date" I might get delayed again. Winds were perfect so my log book entry for solo is on 3-4-07. Got bad weather in the summer that year too and ended up completing in late September. None of the training weeks was less than 2 scheduled flights. That solo flight was one of two flyable weekends over a 10 week period in the spring (windiest year ever).

Shutdown again, low clouds and they never plowed my destination airport. Reported 2/2/2 3+ inches of slush on ice.
sigh.........

Well, after suffering from withdrawal symptoms from not having flown much in the last year, I almost overdosed on 4 hours of flying yesterday. I haven't flown that much in a single day but maybe twice before. It was great. The rest of this week is supposed to be decent weather wise as well so I might just have to grab another dose of it. Got to make up for lost time.

No flight again today, was ready for some real world IMC with 008 OVC, an icing pirep put a damper on it

No flight again today, was ready for some real world IMC with 008 OVC, an icing pirep put a damper on it
Not nearly as much of a damper as airframe icing on your training aircraft would have put on your lesson.

Isn't that judgement an important (maybe the most important) part of your skill-set as a pilot? As I look at all of my flying, I'm very proud of the flights I've refused, even though that wasn't the exact emotion at the time. Always remember that pilots killed in bad weather are usually burried on a clear day. Consider yourself blessed when you take everything into consideration and realize that there will be a better day for flying.

Isn't that judgement an important (maybe the most important) part of your skill-set as a pilot? As I look at all of my flying, I'm very proud of the flights I've refused, even though that wasn't the exact emotion at the time. Always remember that pilots killed in bad weather are usually burried on a clear day. Consider yourself blessed when you take everything into consideration and realize that there will be a better day for flying.
Absolutely. For last 2 sessions, my CFI is teaching me when not to fly, how to interpret weather and forecast and match that with any pirep etc. to confirm. Invaluable, no doubt. I was initially a little upset inside when he said we can't fly today, and then he showed me why and the fact that he has 8500 hrs and he won't fly in this made me realize how invaluable lesson it is.

Having said all that.. I wanna fly

(C)amarillo by morning...

First cross-country of '17 for me was yesterday's breakfast hop from Cable to Camarillo (KCMA). Beautiful, clear and cold (relatively speaking), as OAT was 35 degrees over Van Nuys at 6500'. It was great to go to a towered airport again...got the usual straight-in approach to runway 26, which is a luxury. Some pretty cool military turboprop trainers in the pattern, and one parked next to me at the restaurant.

Second pic is at the fuel pumps at Cable. Look at all the snow on Mt. Baldy!! Heard on the news today that there was an avalanche that swept four hikers down the mountain. They all survived, fortunately. "Avalanche" and "SoCal" are rarely in the same sentence!

The storms have been pretty much nonstop for all of January, but it looks like we've got 10 days of sunshine ahead.

IMG_2945.jpg

IMG_2953.jpg

Last edited:
The weather has been just fine the last couple days at PHLI. Of course, I don't have a plane here. Oh well, I guess we'll just take a cruise tomorrow afternoon and look for whales. :)

(C)amarillo by morning...

First cross-country of '17 for me was yesterday's breakfast hop from Cable to Camarillo (KCMA). Beautiful, clear and cold (relatively speaking), as OAT was 35 degrees over Van Nuys at 6500'. It was great to go to a towered airport again...got the usual straight-in approach to runway 26, which is a luxury. Some pretty cool military turboprop trainers in the pattern, and one parked next to me at the restaurant.

Second pic is at the fuel pumps at Cable. Look at all the snow on Mt. Baldy!! Heard on the news today that there was an avalanche that swept four hikers down the mountain. They all survived, fortunately. "Avalanche" and "SoCal" are rarely in the same sentence!

The storms have been pretty much nonstop for all of January, but it looks like we've got 10 days of sunshine ahead.

View attachment 50923

View attachment 50924

Nice pics! Lots of snow on that mountain. Looks like a T=34C, which is the turboprop version of the T-34 series.

Nice pics! Lots of snow on that mountain. Looks like a T=34C, which is the turboprop version of the T-34 series.

Thanks. As a kid, I'd built a model of a standard T-34 but the "long nose" turboprop version looks different.

The snow is amazing. We're so far ahead of our average rainfall totals here...a blessing after a 5-year drought.

A rare day off, and the ceiling is 1500-2500, with winds at 14g19 with light flurries. Nope, not flying again today.

Thanks. As a kid, I'd built a model of a standard T-34 but the "long nose" turboprop version looks different.

The snow is amazing. We're so far ahead of our average rainfall totals here...a blessing after a 5-year drought.

Yep, and I spent last Sunday/Monday watching the water levels behind the Prado Dam. It peaked at 512.44', the end of the runway at Corona (and my hangar) are at 515'.

14G33KT at Ontario now. Dang Santa Ana winds!

At least the forecast has the high wind warning ending at 1pm tomorrow, hoping to go flying tomorrow afternoon.

Yep, and I spent last Sunday/Monday watching the water levels behind the Prado Dam. It peaked at 512.44', the end of the runway at Corona (and my hangar) are at 515'.

I'm glad you're dry! I remember having this conversation earlier about flooding at Corona. I've got to overfly the reservoir to check it out.

I'm glad you're dry! I remember having this conversation earlier about flooding at Corona. I've got to overfly the reservoir to check it out.

Corona flooded again? When I was flying out of TOA several years ago it did that. Late 2010, I believe.

I ended up with about an inch of water in my hangar just because there was so much rain in such a short time it couldn't all run off quick enough but no harm done. I don't keep stuff on the floor. Level is back down to the levels before the storm so everything's good.

Corona flooded again? When I was flying out of TOA several years ago it did that. Late 2010, I believe.

Yes, December 2010. I didn't have a plane yet but if you want to see pictures and a good write-up on it then you can check out this blog post from someone who had his Viking there.

http://160knots.com/CoronaFlood2010.htm

It didn't flood this time, but there were guys at the low end that ended up with a couple feet of water in their hangars because there was too much rain in too short a time that it couldn't run-off fast enough. If we had two days of rain like Sunday there would have been problems...

:cryin::cryin::cryin:

No real flying weather here. At best it's MVFR and a stiff cross wind at our airport.

Those pictures are really nice, SoCal RV Flyer...

Let me rub it in.... flew 1.5 hrs... an hour under the hood, and then lovely sunset and a 45kt ground speed coming back to the airport

:cryin::cryin::cryin:

Well, you couldn't really enjoy the flight if you were under the hood... ;):p:lol:

Flying in and out of MEM years ago this is a pic of a GA airport (forget the name) just north of MEM, along the Mississippi R. when it flooded. The runway runs parallel to the river at the top of the pic.

upload_2017-1-28_9-1-4.png

Yeah I was flying out of Olive Branch MS when Dewitt flooded. In fact I was in the pattern at OLV when Downtown Aviation evacuated their aircraft from M01 and flew them to OLV. The tower guy had to scramble when 4 aircraft all called in rapid succession. Up til then I was his only customer.

Olive Branch has a tower now?
It did in 2011 - 2013 when I was living and flying in the area. According to the sectional, it still does. I have no idea how long it has been there but I don't recall it being new when I was there. I think it had been there for awhile.

Yeah probably last time I was in there was mid 80s and it was uncontrolled then.

Back