It is cold

Yeah, I looked at the weather here today (morning low ~25, something like 32 at noon). Not bothering to head to the airport since it'll be mid 50's in the afternoons several days next week.

It's cold if you spit and it freezes before it hits the ground. A hair dryer will make pretty short work of that spinner and windscreen. You'll love the climb performance. Yesterday I was 2000fpm and not even at Vy.

4 hits on the glow plugs to get the 7.3 to fire, and then it loped on 5 cylinders for about 20 second.

View attachment 104361

It’s not cold till ‘yer eyelashes try and freeze together.

They did not try, they did.!!

I hated it when my eyelids would freeze closed everytime I blinked. But a nice pair of googles would prevent that.

On time I tried to pee at -62f to see if it would freeze. Once I got through all my insulated clothing and the cold air hit little zeldman, he did a turtle imitation and it wasn't going to happen...

By the time I got the hangar shoveled clear and pre-heat done, clouds were down to 900 feet. Bummer.

But to get ice like that, the temperature must have been up to purd near freezing.

Just so you know I’m not talkin smack

0fa4c415aff7dc2739e219290785a2b0.jpg

4 hits on the glow plugs to get the 7.3 to fire, and then it loped on 5 cylinders for about 20 second.
Get a Duramax and you won't have those problems.

But flyable… and pretty.

I don't see how you flatland guys can keep track of where you are. California is kind of a goofy place (for many reasons) but it's almost impossible to get lost here. Oh, wait--is this what that "pilotage" stuff is all about? I keep reading about that.

Tim

Went up to check on the snow situation this morning and ops went all out yesterday:
IMG_20220205_100706993_HDR.jpg

Got my door and ramp cleaned up... thought about flying, but the oil temp was still below zero even though I turned the tanis on 3 hours ago.

It's not cold until the snot in your nose freezes and turns the nose hairs into sharp little thorns.

Cold is when the ice storm knocks out your power for three days (ie. no heat) and the overnight low is -5. Staying in a hotel tonight...

It's not cold until the snot in your nose freezes and turns the nose hairs into sharp little thorns.

yeah.... I have blown ice outta my nose at times.

I hatred it when a bottle of water freezes while it was in an inside jacket pocket.

Three days in a row below -10 in Steamboat Springs. Keeps the snow semiskiable later in the day.

Cheers

Did a winter in NYC and one in Chicago.... With the way my body is these days, anything below 70 and I'm not in the sun feels cold to me.

You'll love the climb performance.

Agree - went flying this morning and on climbout I was above pattern altitude 4000' down the runway and also not at Vy - about 20 kts above it.

My hands and ears said it was frickin' cold. Slightly above freezing I think.

I have flown a Mooney.

I disagree with your assessment.

well thanks for setting me straight. not sure how I mistakenly thought ice impacted a mooney differently than other planes. my bad. what was I thinking??

well thanks for setting me straight. not sure how I mistakenly thought ice impacted a mooney differently than other planes. my bad. what was I thinking??

It's ok, common mistake. Tail on backwards and all does change physics.

Just hit the remote starter and let it warm up for a while.

Last Tuesday, all of North Texas was going batsh*t crazy panic buying everything because ice was forecasted.

This Monday with all the evidence melted…. “What ice storm? We had an ice storm?”

This Friday, high temps are back up in the 70’s where we’re out in short sleeves complaining about a February heat wave.

I remember the annual ice storm in Dallas usually happened around Valentine's Day. I guess you guys got it a week early this year.

Back