It ain't over 'till it's in the chocks

That ULD was reduced to confetti!

I would think the last flight for a few on the flight deck. With the conditions, the taxi speed is totally out of whack.

Maybe they didn’t like being away from home & wanted to be fired??

Looks like both 1 and 2 got a little extra aluminum in their diet.

Not knowing much about the B747-400 cockpit other than it's glass, I wonder what sort of warnings (visual and aural) were making themselves known after impact?

There must be less expensive ways to get rid of an excess clutter of ULDs the ramp.

Well the last plane they flew before that was probably a 172 in a pilot mill in AZ or FL lol

That wasn’t a hitting a wingtip or bad loading and tail strike, dude straight piled through the carts! Reason 499 I’d never fly anything with “china” in the name.

Well the last plane they flew before that was probably a 172 in a pilot mill in AZ or FL lol

That wasn’t a hitting a wingtip or bad loading and tail strike, dude straight piled through the carts! Reason 499 I’d never fly anything with “china” in the name.
Remembering that snowy Chicago airport accidents aren't limited to airlines with China in the name.

Eu_UZ9JXAAIyB3o

Depending on what was in the luggage, it could be a demonstration of one of the least cost effective methods of securely destroying a hard drive ever developed.

"Excuse me, I need to speak with you about your checked bags."

"Bags? I only checked one bag."

"Well..."

There were times in Anchorage during winter when I was trying to jumpseat out, and I would be watching the big planes taxiing on the packed snow and ice. Every once in a while a plane would taxi by and the main wheels are not turning. Then the plane would hit a clear patch of pavement.... sudden stop.!! Then the plane would pull away with all wheels turning....

I never did know if the parking brake was on or was just trying to slow down.

Last edited:

Dang, that's some real airframe maiming! I'd heard that the old Hawkers were pretty sturdy, but it sure showed the pilatus who was the boss in this encounter. "Knocked the wing offa that sucker, that'l teach 'im to come at me", grumped the Hawker with the bloody nose.

Semi snide remarks aside, it looks like the Pilatus was slipping and sliding on an icy surface, making the wheel brakes ineffective. It appears that the lineman/marshaller was not expecting the airplane to come at him so aggressively. Does the PC-12 have Beta pitch?

Here in Florida, ice is only tolerated when cooling refreshing adult beverages.

"Knocked the wing offa that sucker, that'l teach 'im to come at me", grumped the Hawker with the bloody nose.
It's like an episode of Shining Time Station but with planes instead of trains

PS, these wing breaks always give me the willies. I get it has to break somewhere, but such a clean 'snap' really tells paints a picture that these planes aren't indestructible. Even ones known for being well made (Pilatus)
upload_2022-2-4_14-8-3.png

PS, these wing breaks always give me the willies. I get it has to break somewhere, but such a clean 'snap' really tells paints a picture that these planes aren't indestructible. Even ones known for being well made (Pilatus)

No matter how strong something is built, there will always be a weak point. The key is to never find it.

View attachment 104340

The wing isn’t designed to take loads like that. Besides, if I’m right and he started with the power lever full forward thats a LOT of pull in addition to the already fast/hard hit.

That looks to me like someone started the engine with the power lever up.
That or the manual backup throttle had been moved. Word is it went to the moon immediately on start up but there are rumors for another theory more pilot centric. Will be interesting to see what is determined in the investigation.

The wing isn’t designed to take loads like that
Still sucks to see. I get the same feeling when I see sailboats get dismasted due to some kind of unnatural event

That or the manual backup throttle had been moved. Word is it went to the moon immediately on start up but there are rumors for another theory more pilot centric. Will be interesting to see what is determined in the investigation.

IIRC there’s a detent for that lever and you’d have to really want to move it to get it out.

edit: also if you started with the MOR I couldn’t imagine that wouldn’t lead to fireballs shooting out the exhaust. As soon as the igniters kicked on it would have lit off and it would have burned up, whereas if the PCL was advanced the FCU is still dictating to the engine how much fuel it can handle.

I had something similar happen to me once, the guy in the right seat pushed the PCL up about 15% when he was getting in, and I’d already done my flow/checklist before he got in and didn’t catch it until the power started coming up. Normal start with normal temps, I can’t imagine the same would be true if the MOR was advanced.

Last edited:
Back