Is there such a thing as an implicit clearance into Bravo?

sixpacker

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Sixpacker
A few times when flying to an airport under a class B shelf on FF, I eventually get handed off to an approach controller who will then start vectoring me towards my airport and almost always it is a vector and altitude that will put me into the Bravo. Most of the time I will get a "You're cleared into Class B airspace", but sometimes I don't. I always then ask if I'm cleared in Class B and they always say yes. What if I didn't do that? Would being VFR and blindly following an ATC vector into the class B be a violation?

The way I understand it - you must hear the terms "cleared into the bravo". If I did't hear it and ATC was vectoring I would still ask "Confirm 123AB cleared into bravo"....

You need to be "cleared into the bravo".

If the controller vectors you in without saying those words your butt is probably covered, especially considering they're probably the ones who would turn you in for a bust anyway.

However, suppose something was misunderstood in the communication or they thought they were talking to someone else... it's probably wise to just ask for the confirmation.

You need to hear cleared into the bravo unless you are operating under instrument flight rules.

I have had it happen, and irritated the controller in the process, but I wasn't comfortable with the implied clearance.

I was on flight following on my way to an airport on the other side of the ST. Louis Bravo. I was fully expecting to be told to remain clear.

Instead I was given a hard altitude and a heading by St. Louis Approach. The heading was going to take me into the class B, but I had not received a clearance in.

I waited a few minutes, making sure I had time to stay clear, and I asked for verification that I was cleared into the Bravo airspace. She came back on and said in a very irritated tone, I gave you an assigned heading and altitude that will take you into the Class B. I wasn't going to back down, and said yes you did please verify I am cleared into the Class B. She did come back on and gave me the words I was looking for and I said thank you.

Sounds like she was having a bad day. You were perfectly correct to ask.

If you don't hear the words "cleared into the Bravo" then you are not cleared into the airspace

I have been cleared in 4 times in one try before. A controller cleared me on initial contact. Then cleared again halfway through his sector. Then again before hand off. Come up with the next TRACON controller and they cleared me in as well.

To answer the question as posed, YES.

An IFR clearance that intersects Class B is an implicit clearance into Class B.

VFR, you must hear the magic words, even on practice instrument approaches (which often do penetrate Class B if below a low shelf).

No assumptions can be made, you must be formally cleared into Bravo Airspace.

You need to be "cleared into the bravo".

If the controller vectors you in without saying those words your butt is probably covered, especially considering they're probably the ones who would turn you in for a bust anyway.

However, suppose something was misunderstood in the communication or they thought they were talking to someone else... it's probably wise to just ask for the confirmation.

That happened to me once over the Hudson. I was in the SFRA at 1100, requested the East River northbound. By the time EWR got around to me (busy day), I was approaching Governors Island. He gave me vectors to circle Governors clockwise, climb and maintain 1500 (Bravo) then proceed East River. It wasn't until after I was over one of the bridges that I realized, I never heard the words!!!

After I landed I checked my Video/Audio which confirmed this.
Never allowed myself to make that mistake again:nonod:

Last edited:
This is one of those flying school things that isn't entirely true. You don't need to hear the exact words "cleared into Bravo" verbatim. Any clearance into a point within Bravo airspace implies a B clearance, or any other clearance implying the same thing ("as requested" etc) or even a heading and an altitude (not just one, per NTSB ruling) taking you into B. Or if you cancel IFR within Bravo is another scenario where no other clearance is necessary.

Most of them will say the magic words, but if they don't and their clearance is unambiguous and takes you into B, don't sweat it. You have a B clearance. Some of them get ****ed off if you pester them for the exact words in a busy environment.

Last edited:

This is exactly why I am not comfortable with the casual implied clearance. I'm pretty relaxed. But there is too much room for an oops that may not be the controller's fault.

It's even more of an "aww hell no" around here. You won't get yelled at. You'll get intercepted.

I have had it happen, and irritated the controller in the process, but I wasn't comfortable with the implied clearance.
BTDT. But I've also punched in without hearing the exact words from 7110.65 when I was certain the controller was saying it was OK. Consider it a matter of judgment based on experience, but if you don't have a lot of experience, you're best off demanding clarification even if that means irritating the controller. Like the regulation says, "When a pilot is uncertain of an ATC clearance, that pilot shall immediately request clarification from ATC."

Last edited:
BTDT. But I've also punched in without hearing the exact words from 7110.65 when I was certain the controller was saying it was OK. Consider it a matter of judgment based on experience, but if you don't have a lot of experience, you're best off demanding clarification even if that means irritating the controller. Like the regulation says, "When a pilot is uncertain of an ATC clearance, that pilot shall immediately request clarification from ATC."

It's funny I remember starting to form my argument. I was given a hard altitude and a heading by ATC. During the course of following ATC instructions that I am required to....

At that point I decide my best defense was a strong offense. Anytime I am in a plane formulating my defense against the FAA is a good sign that there is probably a better course of action.

Last edited:
this happens often going into San Diego airports from the north and east - you have the Miramar Bravo before you hit the KSAN bravo that are contiguous - I have friends in Santee right near Gilliespie and go in there all the time -

when VFR in the descent I get vectors all the time for traffic and often the controller never clear you into the Bravo. I always - 'confirm 90P cleared into the Bravo?"

The locals are used to it and I'm sure never bother for the formal official clearance - but I know the one time you forget they'll an inspector somewhere. The SAN guys are apologietic. Coming down the other way - they generally vector you UNDER the Bravo at first 3500 then 2000 feet and the just hand you off to the San Diego tower controller- at that point I don't bother with the bravo clearance when I'm handed off to the tower controller since they've NEVER missed it.

KSAN is like MCI, easiest Class B in the country to land at.

I've always gotten the magic words from KSAN, as well as socal approach. Lindburgh tower has also always advised me when I was leaving the class B and to squawk VFR. That said if you're following ATC instructions, which put you into the Bravo then it's not exactly hard to defend your actions if anyone were to start asking questions.

How does any pilot not know this?

When VFR you need to hear the words 'cleared into the Class bravo'. They still teach airspace, right? I've heard the PTS is going away, maybe that's the issue.

this happens often going into San Diego airports from the north and east - you have the Miramar Bravo before you hit the KSAN bravo that are contiguous - I have friends in Santee right near Gilliespie and go in there all the time -

when VFR in the descent I get vectors all the time for traffic and often the controller never clear you into the Bravo. I always - 'confirm 90P cleared into the Bravo?"

The locals are used to it and I'm sure never bother for the formal official clearance - but I know the one time you forget they'll an inspector somewhere. The SAN guys are apologietic. Coming down the other way - they generally vector you UNDER the Bravo at first 3500 then 2000 feet and the just hand you off to the San Diego tower controller- at that point I don't bother with the bravo clearance when I'm handed off to the tower controller since they've NEVER missed it.

KSAN is like MCI, easiest Class B in the country to land at.
Even from the water NW Miramar B creates a little surprise with a dingle tab outside the cake that goes to the surface. I busted it once on FF at low level figuring I was slipping under, he gave me forgiveness and a clearance, Navy wasn't flying in those conditions so no hem no foul.

Last edited:
Slightly different situation, but what about an "implied" clearance out of Bravo? Last weekend, in SLC Bravo, I requested a northbound transit loop over downtown (sightseeing for a first time passenger) and exit to the east. Downtown SLC is literally next to Bravo airspace. On the way up the controller cleared me out of Bravo, and asked for me to report when I was about to enter the east canyon exit. I'm still on squawk, still being monitored. Do they expect me to stay clear of the airspace, even though my request could very well put me back in their airspace without an abundance of caution?

Slightly different situation, but what about an "implied" clearance out of Bravo? Last weekend, in SLC Bravo, I requested a northbound transit loop over downtown (sightseeing for a first time passenger) and exit to the east. Downtown SLC is literally next to Bravo airspace. On the way up the controller cleared me out of Bravo, and asked for me to report when I was about to enter the east canyon exit. I'm still on squawk, still being monitored. Do they expect me to stay clear of the airspace, even though my request could very well put me back in their airspace without an abundance of caution?

If your route of flight will take you in and out of class B, you need to let them know that and make sure your bravo clearance is still valid.

You need clearance each time you enter class B. You do not need it to exit, but you may need ATC to lift an altitude or heading restriction.

How does any pilot not know this?

When VFR you need to hear the words 'cleared into the Class bravo'. They still teach airspace, right? I've heard the PTS is going away, maybe that's the issue.

Smugly, says Captain, who spent two months flailing against, er, everyone here after starting this thread:

Everyone here knows you can't get off a runway at an intersecting runway or a reverse high speed exit without tower approval, right?

:rolleyes:

You know, I've never asked for explicit Bravo clearance when taking off from a Bravo airport... or even thought to ask for it. Have I been wrong to not seek explicit clearance, or is that the elusive implicit case?

You know, I've never asked for explicit Bravo clearance when taking off from a Bravo airport... or even thought to ask for it. Have I been wrong to not seek explicit clearance, or is that the elusive implicit case?

If the airport your at is IN (not below...IN) the class B then a takeoff clearance implies clearance into the Bravo. No specific verbiage required.

So is the following conversation ever going to REALLY happen?

ATC (approach): N123 turn left 240 descend and maintain 3500
N123: 240 and 3500
ATC: N123 you have just entered the Bravo without permission!

Like I said in my original post I always request confirmation that I am cleared into the Bravo but I seriously doubt that the above situation will ever happen. It happens enough that some of us wonder. Note that there are three threads right now on essentially the same topic.

So is the following conversation ever going to REALLY happen?

ATC (approach): N123 turn left 240 descend and maintain 3500
N123: 240 and 3500
ATC: N123 you have just entered the Bravo without permission!

Like I said in my original post I always request confirmation that I am cleared into the Bravo but I seriously doubt that the above situation will ever happen. It happens enough that some of us wonder. Note that there are three threads right now on essentially the same topic.

Not at all likely to happen.

An implicit clearance into Bravo?

Only on an IFR flight plan.....anything else, better get the verbiage.

As I said quite a few posts up, yes, that is one implicit case. When the control tower in B-space clears you for takeoff, you are indeed cleared to enter the Class Bravo Airspace. Another is when you're IFR -- your IFR clearance is quite sufficient to enter any B-space on your IFR routing.

An implicit clearance into Bravo?

Only on an IFR flight plan.....anything else, better get the verbiage.
So Sixie is launching VFR out of Baltimore-Washington International Airport (KBWI):

Baltimore Tower: "Cherokee Six, turn left 120, cleared for takeoff."
Sixie: "Tower, confirm cleared into the Class Bravo Airspace."
Baltimore Tower: "Affirmative, cleared for takeoff."
Sixie: "But you didn't say cleared into the Class Bravo Airspace!"
Baltimore Tower: "Cherokee Six, cancel takeoff clearance, contact ground point nine for taxi back to Signature."

:dunno:

Bravo x a bunch

Last edited:
Lol, maybe I went too far...

:)

I just kept 'select all', copy and paste over and over until I got bored. Turns out when you double something for awhile it gets big quick. Who knew?

Back