Is there any profit in refurbishing aircraft?

@yakdriver Would your friend be Bob Hannah?

I'm in total agreement with you, a guy definitely has to find that niche. Congrats on your business. :thumbsup:

I know Bob and he has Shaun Tubbs taking care of his airplanes and servicing all the new Scouts. John Lane who owns Airpower Unlimited in Jerome is one of the finest warbird restoration facilities in the world.

I know Bob and he has Shaun Tubbs taking care of his airplanes and servicing all the new Scouts. John Lane who owns Airpower Unlimited in Jerome is one of the finest warbird restoration facilities in the world.
One of our oil field clients was Doug Champlin. Met him casually a couple times on location, just small talk about the oil biz and what we were doing for him, never mentioned aviation or anything. I move down here to AZ and took a tour of The Champlin Fighter Museum one day and see Doug's picture as the main benefactor. Needless to say, (after putting 2 and 2 together) I had no clue he had that many planes and was that involved in the WWW aircraft world. What an awesome collection. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
The only way to make any money refurbishing airplanes is to find a niche market. I build/rebuild high end Supercubs. I charge time and materials and make a nice living doing what I enjoy. A friend has a high end Warbird restoration shop and makes a VERY good living.

Both markets have one thing in common: Emotionally attached buyers.

We've all seen the derelict planes ranging from old Piper Tri-Pacers on up to Lear 25's on the various ramps around the country.

How come nobody is taking these planes (like all the car guys do with the old cars) and refurbishing them to modern (or even classical) day standards? Is there just no profit in doing it? :dunno:

Edit to add: What I mean by "nobody", is a basically team of A&P/AI's, painters, avionic experts, upholsters, etc. etc. who could all go in on an airplane, do their magic, then turn around and sell it for a profit.

Just like anything else that involves restoring things, if you can do the work yourself or with a friend who won't charge you and maybe just share the profits then yeah I would think it would work.

Just like anything else that involves restoring things, if you can do the work yourself or with a friend who won't charge you and maybe just share the profits then yeah I would think it would work.

I guess if your time isn't worth anything. As a rule of thumb it will cost a minimum of twice the money you thought it would cost and take twice as long to finish. Don

I don't think you can buy common airplanes cheap enough to do a full blown restoration and get anywhere close to breaking even in most cases.
I work in the real estate industry and a lot of people look into the home flipping market with dreamy eyes thinking that's how they'll get rich and fund their retirement nest egg. Yes, some people can do it right and make a profit, I imagine the same is true for airplanes, however as many risks as there are with cars and houses, that's only further magnified with planes as the costs for just about anything are astronomically high and if you are not a legal professional there is very little work you can do yourself. What kills me is when I see an old 172 with a 160hp engine with a whole fleet of top of the line avionics... you will never recoup those costs.

A large part of it depends on what you consider "refurbished" and what will actually bring a return. A beat up old 172 might be able to turn a profit if you can clean it up and have a good network of contacts to give it just the right amount of updates to sell for a little more than you bought it. Make sure everything works, give it a nice wax job, reasonably update some avionics, and I bet you'd be in business. But, while a plane might take more than a coat of paint there are people who flip houses for decent profit by just replacing carpets, doing some paint, and a little bit of landscaping... what they *don't* do is take a mid-low-range house in a mid-low-income neighborhood and dump it full of Viking, Wolf, and Miele appliances and spend $75K installing a pool <- that's what I think of when I see an ancient high time 172 with top of the line avionics.

Problem is, I think most aviators get too emotionally involved in their hobby to effectively turn a profit, to make money you kind of have to shut some of that off. "Would this house look sweet with a Viking or Wolf range? Yes!" but will I recover those cases. Hell no! Install that standard GE range from Home Depot for $600 and get the house sold!!

If refurbishing airplanes is anything like cars (I think the "buyers" have similar characteristics), you are dealing with a savvy bunch of tire-kickers.
Depends who you would sell it to and what kind of planes you refurbish. Planes with a loyal fanbase like Bonanza, Mooney, Cubs, etc., I bet that it is true, you see the same with boats. But I am sure there are also new low time pilots out there who would love a Warrior, Cherokee, Archer, Arrow that wasn't completely shredded and falling apart at the seams...

Which makes me think... with some of these selling in the $200K to $400K range I have to think there has to be something genuinely wrong with these Aerostars to not warrant a higher price

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/17112921/1981-aerostar-602p-superstar-700
https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/17483171/1978-aerostar-600

^I mean, under $100K for the world's fastest piston twin, pressurized? Unless people really hate twins that much these seem like bargains, esp when they have peers selling for double

Which makes me think... with some of these selling in the $200K to $400K range I have to think there has to be something genuinely wrong with these Aerostars to not warrant a higher price
Besides being fuel hogs, look up the price of an engine overhaul for those Aerostars and you'll have your answer. One of the highest on the market. ;)

The overhauls are a lot... but if I'm reading the listing on the 700 right those engines only have like 300 or so hours on them... even if someone flew it 2hrs EVERY WEEK you would still get a decade of use out of it. A decade of diligent saving and spending $700K less than what you would have on a $992K SR22 g6 still seems like a good deal to cruise at close to 300 knots in pressurized comfort

Interesting that psychologically people would rather spend a ton of money up front and then less later... I get that with loans and interest, but for something like this? But I get I'm in the minority here

Interesting that psychologically people would rather spend a ton of money up front and then less later... I get that with loans and interest, but for something like this? But I get I'm in the minority here
My only guess is the twin's higher operating costs vs. a comparable SE complex. Somebody mentioned a Duke the other day. I looked on Controller and found a pristine one for around $200k that was like a brand new plane. I'd love to have a fast pressurized twin just because I think their sexy, but that type of aircraft just don't fit my current mission profile, at least for now anyways. ;)

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/17112921/1981-aerostar-602p-superstar-700
https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/17483171/1978-aerostar-600

^I mean, under $100K for the world's fastest piston twin, pressurized? Unless people really hate twins that much these seem like bargains, esp when they have peers selling for double

The first one says it has exhaust damage and needs repairs and seller wants to sell it "as-is" "where-is". In other words, it isn't airworthy, most likely.

The second one is over TBO and needs engines.

You'll spend the price difference between those and the $200-$400 ones getting either one back into the air.

They're ramp queens.

I work in the real estate industry and a lot of people look into the home flipping market with dreamy eyes thinking that's how they'll get rich and fund their retirement nest egg. Yes, some people can do it right and make a profit, I imagine the same is true for airplanes, however as many risks as there are with cars and houses, that's only further magnified with planes as the costs for just about anything are astronomically high and if you are not a legal professional there is very little work you can do yourself. What kills me is when I see an old 172 with a 160hp engine with a whole fleet of top of the line avionics... you will never recoup those costs.

A large part of it depends on what you consider "refurbished" and what will actually bring a return. A beat up old 172 might be able to turn a profit if you can clean it up and have a good network of contacts to give it just the right amount of updates to sell for a little more than you bought it. Make sure everything works, give it a nice wax job, reasonably update some avionics, and I bet you'd be in business. But, while a plane might take more than a coat of paint there are people who flip houses for decent profit by just replacing carpets, doing some paint, and a little bit of landscaping... what they *don't* do is take a mid-low-range house in a mid-low-income neighborhood and dump it full of Viking, Wolf, and Miele appliances and spend $75K installing a pool <- that's what I think of when I see an ancient high time 172 with top of the line avionics.

Problem is, I think most aviators get too emotionally involved in their hobby to effectively turn a profit, to make money you kind of have to shut some of that off. "Would this house look sweet with a Viking or Wolf range? Yes!" but will I recover those cases. Hell no! Install that standard GE range from Home Depot for $600 and get the house sold!!

Depends who you would sell it to and what kind of planes you refurbish. Planes with a loyal fanbase like Bonanza, Mooney, Cubs, etc., I bet that it is true, you see the same with boats. But I am sure there are also new low time pilots out there who would love a Warrior, Cherokee, Archer, Arrow that wasn't completely shredded and falling apart at the seams...

This...

Newbs lose their tails in real estate. They watch cable and say "pfffft....that doesn't look hard".

The reality is that to make any money in that business, you need to be "juiced in". That means you get tips from your network of people that lets you cut the line. That means you either have the in-house skill and labor, or have a stable of subs working at a less-than-retail negotiated rate. That means you have people on retainer to deal with and handle paperwork and closing issues. Anyone who goes into it paying retail is going to get their clock cleaned. Your margin will evaporate because everyone else is making theirs.

Same goes for this idea. Everyone is going to get their cut, and they get it before you.

So, how do you work it then?

If you break it down, you've got airframe, engine and avionics. The last two are essentially commodities, and carry the highest margins for other people (avionics especially). There's no point in paying someone else's margin on those. The only thing that is "resource restricted" is the airframe (there's a large pool...but ultimately limited) . What you could do, I suppose, is be a supplier of "refurbished airframes", and only the airframes. Grab a 182, strip it down, sell what you can (avionics/engine), clean it, inspect it, replace/refurbish what needs it. Clean & repair the plastic interior parts. New plexi. No carpet, no seat covers, only instruments and gauges required by the TDCS. Don't paint it, just prime it. Shoot it with corrosion X or whatever. Pull the wings & tail off and crate it. Set the airplane up so OTHER people can put the engine, paint, interior & avionics they want....and THEY take the hit on paying other people's margin on those and the labor as well. Some calls you up and says "hey, I need a 182Q", and you call your trucking company, and they come get the crate, over and done. If someone wants a new engine, remanned, OHed or whatever, they get to choose, along with avionics, interior and paint. The quality/style & content is entirely up to them.

This same sort of thing is done with corporate aircraft....kinda. The airframes (albeit with engines/avionics) are delivered "green" and it's up to the finisher to paint and do the interior.

Some calls you up and says "hey, I need a 182Q", and you call your trucking company, and they come get the crate, over and done. If someone wants a new engine, remanned, OHed or whatever, they get to choose, along with avionics, interior and paint.

This would be an incredibly great thing is there was some way the FAA would allow some sort of "conversion" to E/AB (or some new E category) status for these older certified airframes. Even if they were required to go through this exact gut, clean, inspect, process from a "Certified" refurbisher before being sold.

I seem to recall reading someplace that at one time in the not awful distant past there was going to be a rule allowing some sort of DIY/Conversion or something similar for older certified AC. I know in Canada you can take a certified plane and rebuild it as experimental, but it's a one-shot deal, one way only.

Who wouldn't like to buy a cleaned up, inspected, certified "shell" and re-do it themselves. That alone might save GA... And before we get into the back and forth - I do not see much difference between that and a lot of the "Factory assist QuickBuild" stuff that goes on now. Imagine getting say a 1970's cleaned and inspected 172 shell for lets say 20K. Fill it with the latest experimental glass, and an engine of choice. Build your own interior.

yup....the market will fix this. If there's money to be made....it will happen.:confused:

That would certainly help, but a good chunk of labor with engines and avionics is removal and cleanup. Same goes for paint, which always involves stripping and some disassembly.

You could have your engine already built up, and your avionics already wired and tested. Heck, you could cut the panel ahead of time. The airframe shows up in the crate with the control surfaces already removed for paint.

Part of the "premium" that you could charge is that the messy work is already done. That would represent a good savings in labor. You could have "partner" shops that specialize in one-stop finishing, or leave it up to the buyer to piece it out.

But the best part is none of that is your problem.

This would be an incredibly great thing is there was some way the FAA would allow some sort of "conversion" to E/AB (or some new E category) status for these older certified airframes. Even if they were required to go through this exact gut, clean, inspect, process from a "Certified" refurbisher before being sold.

I seem to recall reading someplace that at one time in the not awful distant past there was going to be a rule allowing some sort of DIY/Conversion or something similar for older certified AC. I know in Canada you can take a certified plane and rebuild it as experimental, but it's a one-shot deal, one way only.

Who wouldn't like to buy a cleaned up, inspected, certified "shell" and re-do it themselves. That alone might save GA... And before we get into the back and forth - I do not see much difference between that and a lot of the "Factory assist QuickBuild" stuff that goes on now. Imagine getting say a 1970's cleaned and inspected 172 shell for lets say 20K. Fill it with the latest experimental glass, and an engine of choice. Build your own interior.

I agree with this. If there was a legal way to convert certified to owner maintained (also experimentals for subsequent owners), and even a course to get owners certified to handle their own maintenance and annual inspection requirements, then GA would have a significant rebound. As is repeatedly stated, the aircraft purchase is the smallest expense in aircraft ownership. Make the limitations line up with BasicMed limitations, and there would be lots more pilots owning their own planes.

Problem is most owners don't have the mechanical skills to maintain an airplane even with some classes. If you look at a lot of EAB airplanes a lot of them are poorly maintained as are certified airplanes taken to paper whipper mechanics. The price of certified parts is insane. I just finished a certified Supercub and I'm in the process of re building an Experimental Cub. These are almost identical airplanes but parts for the certified are a minimum twice the cost for the same parts. I did 27 STCs on it at a cost of over $20,000 for just the paperwork. Garmin G5 for certified $2200. $1100 for EAB. MT prop STC $1000 plus $1400 for a field approval. Same prop for the EAB $0. And it goes on from there.

There is a program for SLSA and ELSA airplanes to get a repairman certificate for the type you own. Even subsequent owners can apply and take a course to get the certificate.

There is a program for SLSA and ELSA airplanes to get a repairman certificate for the type you own. Even subsequent owners can apply and take a course to get the certificate.
Yes. Something like that applied to planes with up to six seats and speeds of up to 250 knots indicated airspeed to match BasicMed restrictions is what I'm saying would go a long ways.

This same sort of thing is done with corporate aircraft....kinda. The airframes (albeit with engines/avionics) are delivered "green" and it's up to the finisher to paint and do the interior.
That works great in the higher end markets. Not so much on the lower end. Our plan would be to do complete in-house refurbs and appoint the planes with zero-time engines, neutral color interiors, tasteful paint and graphics, and updated avionics rather than doing any custom builds. I've found over the years of being in business that many people lack conceptualization skills and the ability to see the big picture. Thus the reason many car dealers mostly sell what's on their lots, home builders mostly sell tract homes, Suit makers mostly sell off the rack, etc. You start offering people choices and that opens up a whole other can of worms that I don't want to deal with. Our planes would be "what you see is what you get"! ;)

... zero-time engines,

Semantics here, but I believe a "zero time" engine is factory new. I'm pretty sure that a factory reman is not a zero time engine; it might be though...I just really don't know that answer. Neither is an overhauled engine, nor an IRAN'd engine.

Everyone has an opinion, but SNEW and SFReman motors are a hell of lot more expensive (and may not even be available) than the other options.

Semantics here, but I believe a "zero time" engine is factory new. I'm pretty sure that a factory reman is not a zero time engine; it might be though...I just really don't know that answer. Neither is an overhauled engine, nor an IRAN'd engine.
Zero time as in a complete rebuild to factory or better specs. All engine docs, parts, and specs would be made available to a prospective buyer.

Factory new and factory re-mans are the only engines that I know of that can "legally" carry the zero-time moniker and be logged as such.

Everyone has an opinion, but SNEW and SFReman motors are a hell of lot more expensive (and may not even be available) than the other options.

They're also not exactly readily available as one might think. No warehouse of engines ready to go at Lycoming anyway.

Someone I know ordered one in December to have it on last year's books. It arrived three weeks ago.

That works great in the higher end markets. Not so much on the lower end. Our plan would be to do complete in-house refurbs and appoint the planes with zero-time engines, neutral color interiors, tasteful paint and graphics, and updated avionics rather than doing any custom builds. I've found over the years of being in business that many people lack conceptualization skills and the ability to see the big picture. Thus the reason many car dealers mostly sell what's on their lots, home builders mostly sell tract homes, Suit makers mostly sell off the rack, etc. You start offering people choices and that opens up a whole other can of worms that I don't want to deal with. Our planes would be "what you see is what you get"! ;)

The problem is not in the 'conceptualization'. The problem is that once you pay for all of this, you have priced yourself out of the market.

Out of what market?

The market for dolled up little airplanes. No, you are not 'creating a new market', 'changing the paradigm' and you don 'manage to tap into a new population of airplane buyers'.

The market for dolled up little airplanes. No, you are not 'creating a new market', 'changing the paradigm' and you don 'manage to tap into a new population of airplane buyers'.
Is that what your extensive research has told you? Just wondering where you're pulling all of your data from? :dunno:

Companies come and go all the time. Doesn't mean there's not a definable market. I've found a few players already that do exactly what I am proposing and they've been in business for quite some time now. I've already identified my market and know exactly how to go after them. That's my business. The internet has made it so easy with the multiple petabytes of information available for download and parsing. What's funny is my potential clients don't even know that they're potential clients yet. :lol:

One thing I've found out about starting a new business... when you have multiple naysayers and doubters telling you your ideas are no good, that's usually a good indicator that you have something viable and potentially profitable. BTDT many times and have the T-shirts. I appreciate your input. ;)

There's got to be a way to make money refurbishing planes.. I think it would come down to you having a stack of cash to waive in front of people when you buy the plane from them so they get green in there eyes, and a little black book of were to source parts that you would protect with your life.

If you had killer financing I think that's were you would make money..like cars, most people don't care about the cost of the vehicle as long as they can afford the monthly payment. Miss payments? Repo the plane and re sell..but I don't know if you want to get into all that fun stuff.

"Aircraft had exhaust damage in 2016. Needs repair. Seller Motivated to sell "as is-where is""

2,259 SMOH

The only way to make any money refurbishing airplanes is to find a niche market. I build/rebuild high end Supercubs. I charge time and materials and make a nice living doing what I enjoy. A friend has a high end Warbird restoration shop and makes a VERY good living. You won't make any money trying to fix up and sell the average GA airplane. Don
And you both have very good insurance policies, right?

2,259 SMOH
Yeah, the $100K one with the high time engines definitely isn't for the light hearted. But personally speaking if I had $500K and was ready to buy a plane I'd be looking very closely at it. On one hand new engines are a pain, but at least I would know that I have brand new donks out there. I'd still end up with a remarkably fast, pressurized, decent payload plane

But I know Aerostars aren't for everyone and may not be a good refurb market aircraft. But like someone else said, if you're "juiced in" I don't think it would be a hopeless prospect

Yeah, the $100K one with the high time engines definitely isn't for the light hearted. But personally speaking if I had $500K and was ready to buy a plane I'd be looking very closely at it. On one hand new engines are a pain, but at least I would know that I have brand new donks out there. I'd still end up with a remarkably fast, pressurized, decent payload plane

But I know Aerostars aren't for everyone and may not be a good refurb market aircraft. But like someone else said, if you're "juiced in" I don't think it would be a hopeless prospect
You could do a lot better than a 500K A*...

Companies come and go all the time. Doesn't mean there's not a definable market. I've found a few players already that do exactly what I am proposing and they've been in business for quite some time now. I've already identified my market and know exactly how to go after them. That's my business. The internet has made it so easy with the multiple petabytes of information available for download and parsing. What's funny is my potential clients don't even know that they're potential clients yet. :lol:

One thing I've found out about starting a new business... when you have multiple naysayers and doubters telling you your ideas are no good, that's usually a good indicator that you have something viable and potentially profitable. BTDT many times and have the T-shirts. I appreciate your input. ;)

Now we have made it into the realm of 'internet enterpreneur babble'.

I wish you luck with your business plan. Because luck is what you are going to need. Luck and a lot of capital that you can burn without your backers drowning you in the river. You should probably go for an IPO right off the bat, you know its all petabytes these days and with enough data analysis, you can basically ignore the market. Maybe you should work for the federal government.

Back