Is that a retrofit de-icing mechanism?

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
First time saw this, every other CRJ 900 I have flown have the de-ice capability built-in in the leading edge

Attachments

• IMG_1632.jpg
    IMG_1632.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 63
Are you pointing on the leading edge slats on the CRJ-900?

I'm not sure what you're referring to. The picture simply looks like a deployed slat...

Ok then even more dumb q.... what’s that leading edge slat thing?

slats are like flaps, but in the front.

Slats are aerodynamic surfaces on the leading edge of the wings of fixed-wing aircraft which, when deployed, allow the wing to operate at a higher angle of attack.

Ok then even more dumb q.... what’s that leading edge slat thing?

A high percentage of the higher performance jets have slats. A whole bunch of Bombardier products do as does Dassault Falcons, Gulfstream SPs (Israeli built ships), Citation X, and most larger airliners. They cost money so cheaper designs do not have them.

Slats are aerodynamic surfaces on the leading edge of the wings of fixed-wing aircraft which, when deployed, allow the wing to operate at a higher angle of attack.

Thanks. Learned something new today !!

They cost money so cheaper designs do not have them.
It is/was usually dependent on wing type/performance that requires slats vs cost. Slats been around a long time with 1st versions being aerodynamically actuated like on some WWII fighters, Saberliner, etc.

I have a dumb question too, the actual deicing mechanism, the hot bleed air from the engines, does that get routed through the slat or the wing itself that lies under the slot? Or both

Back