Is it just me....

Wait a minute. Isnt that the Commercial Exam? :confused:
Maybe this is where some of the confusion lies, I thought we were talking about the Instrument Exam.

Actually, it's one of the tests you need for the CFI. Unless you are already a teacher/professor and then it's waived. Every teacher/professor I know that I showed the FOI to said it is outdated crap.

And the problem is....? Since the remote compass shows an aircraft heading 5° left of desired, the compass card has drifted right causing a clockwise card error. Manually slave the card back left or counter-clockwise. (Instrument Flying Handbook p 3-15, Remote Indicating Compass.) You're s'posed to read and get tested on the "books" not the "booklet of test questions".
Right, the thing you have to understand is the control turns the compass card, not the needle. And "slaved mode" means it's slaved to the remote gyro, you need free mode if you have to adjust it.

I don't think I would have gotten that one either, except that I used to actually fly an airplane with one of those -- and was at the controls one time when the gyro it was slaved to went TU.

And the problem is....? Since the remote compass shows an aircraft heading 5° left of desired, the compass card has drifted right causing a clockwise card error. Manually slave the card back left or counter-clockwise. (Instrument Flying Handbook p 3-15, Remote Indicating Compass.) You're s'posed to read and get tested on the "books" not the "booklet of test questions".

[blink][blink] Are you for real?

Actually, it's one of the tests you need for the CFI. Unless you are already a teacher/professor and then it's waived. Every teacher/professor I know that I showed the FOI to said it is outdated crap.
But it's all true and it all works, sayeth this 40+ year CFI and former college faculty member.

Yes, it is true that it is outdated crap. ;)

What, you couldn't reason out that problem? I thought you were a Phd--in gas, IIRC.

What, you can't comprehend why someone would question your regurgitation of book material that isn't relevant in the typical IFR trainer and would be long forgotten prior to someone actually seeing such equipment? Then consider that such equipment is outdated and more expensive to repair than replacing it with glass, e.g. the likelihood of ever seeing such equipment is diminishing.

In other words, I don't live in a world that is limited to your world view.

And yes, you are partially correct, I have earned a Doctor of Philosophy degree. It is not in gas thankyouverymuch however I do produce a lot of gas.

The problem is that in the real world someone is not going to remember this question and sit there trying to reason it out when it happens. Practically speaking the only thing you need to know is the difference between slave and free. If you hit CCW and the card moves the wrong way you will know it immediately and hit CW. Not to mention the fact that not all remote compasses have controls labeled the same way. Our says MAN/AUTO and L SLEW/R SLEW.

The problem is that in the real world someone is not going to remember this question and sit there trying to reason it out when it happens. Practically speaking the only thing you need to know is the difference between slave and free. If you hit CCW and the card moves the wrong way you will know it immediately and hit CW. Not to mention the fact that not all remote compasses have controls labeled the same way. Our says MAN/AUTO and L SLEW/R SLEW.

This, exactly.

This, exactly.

Yeah, I hate those types of questions because of how impractical they are.

During my PPL training I had a little trouble remembering what the CDI was indicating. If the vertical bar was two dots to the right does that mean I have to turn left or right to get back on course? The weird thing that kept bugging me is I had used VORs in the plane and never had an issue navigating with them. I realized it was because in the plane I could see the effects of my corrections and usually had a general idea which side of the course I was on regardless of what the needle said. Thus, I really came to hate these kinds of questions because in a practical situation you have a little bit more to go on than just a static image of a CDI or what not.

That said, my example isn't the best because you really should know how the CDI works by heart, which I eventually did learn. But you get the idea.

dtuuri

Dave,

I have been to your site, and read your IFR materials. They are good and very helpful. (Thank you.) I don't recall seeing a lesson addressing this issue. I suspect because it's not worthy of such attention.

Knowing the difference between slave and free mode is one thing. But knowing from memory that you must turn counter clockwise to correct for a deviation left of desired is silly. You can see if you are going the right way or not.

We don't ask which way to turn the knob to correct our DG with the magnetic compass. We don't ask which way to turn the knob on the Kollsman window to go from 29.92 to 30.00. We don't ask which way to turn the knobs for each digit of our transponder (I have an old ARC one, so just go with me here).

The whole problem lies in thinking you only need to "remember the questions" instead of the principles in the book. Obviously the FAA agrees with my sentiment (I could have told them that decades ago) and is going back to keeping the questions secret again.

In this case, the book makes two points: 1) to adjust the card, unslave the card from the gyro first; 2) the card can then be swung clockwise or counter-clockwise to your heart's desire.

You could apply your logic to localizers and back courses too: If the first turn doesn't center the needle, just go the other way--no need for pilots to know anything else, right, so no more questions about those either.

dtuuri

I have been to your site, and read your IFR materials. They are good and very helpful. (Thank you.) I don't recall seeing a lesson addressing this issue. I suspect because it's not worthy of such attention.
You've just made my day. I'm so happy to hear somebody is actually viewing the tutorials and getting benefit. I'm not through with them yet and have been getting over some illnesses and death in my family but will soon be converting them to tablet-compatible presentations. I plan to have a tutorial on instruments, so I'll be sure to include the two points I mentioned above.

We don't ask which way to turn the knob on the Kollsman window to go from 29.92 to 30.00.
Actually, I do (did) sort of ask that. The underlying principle is that as the setting goes up, so do the hands. Clockwise (or not) of the knob is unimportant, just as in the question you posted, but in the question it's important to know you're turning the card and it helps to know which way to hold the switch. Those things can slew in really slow and you have better things to do with your eyeballs than sit there and stare at it.

<Sigh> But I'll concede this isn't probably the best use of a test question--I could think of a much better one I'm sure. :D

dtuuri

Thinking about this some more it seems that many of you are trying to get a perfect score. Cut it out! The FAA will just think their test is too easy and make it harder. Save your money by reading the AIM, FARs, Instrument Flying Handbook, PTS and Advisory Circulars (and watch my tutorials). Then go to www.Touringmachine.com to test your knowledge for free, then take the real test when you think you can certainly pass it. Don't hold out for 100% by trying to memorize answers.

In the case of the above question, some folks will actually be able to reason it out and some not. Does that mean the ones who can are inferior to ones who do not? Shouldn't they get due credit? Vice Versa for glass/RNAV experts. They'll be able to know some things others just won't. Should the FAA throw out their favorite questions? Of course not.

dtuuri

You could apply your logic to localizers and back courses too: If the first turn doesn't center the needle, just go the other way--no need for pilots to know anything else, right, so no more questions about those either.
The problem is that you are not testing anything useful. You're only testing someone's skill at visualization. Or more likely, their ability to memorize the answer. As far as centering the needle, you turn the knob until it centers. Then you look at the to/from arrow. If the needle is partially centered already it's obvious if you are turning it the correct direction or not. It would be more important to know if you are left or right of the desired radial, but that doesn't have anything to do with the direction you turn the knob.

Thinking about this some more it seems that many of you are trying to get a perfect score. Cut it out! The FAA will just think their test is too easy and make it harder. Save your money by reading the AIM, FARs, Instrument Flying Handbook, PTS and Advisory Circulars (and watch my tutorials). Then go to www.Touringmachine.com to test your knowledge for free, then take the real test when you think you can certainly pass it. Don't hold out for 100% by trying to memorize answers.

In the case of the above question, some folks will actually be able to reason it out and some not. Does that mean the ones who can are inferior to ones who do not? Shouldn't they get due credit? Vice Versa for glass/RNAV experts. They'll be able to know some things others just won't. Should the FAA throw out their favorite questions? Of course not.

[blink][blink] are you for real?

You've just made my day. I'm so happy to hear somebody is actually viewing the tutorials and getting benefit.

I am glad to hear that makes your day. The materials are really good, and seem worthy of paid content. Since you're not being paid, I am glad to hear that the mere appreciation of your content is at least some remuneration, albeit nonpecuniary.

Thinking about this some more it seems that many of you are trying to get a perfect score. Cut it out!

Sorry. Ain't gonna' happen. I'm still ****ed about the 92 I got on the private written. Anything less than 95% will be disappointing.

Sorry. Ain't gonna' happen. I'm still ****ed about the 92 I got on the private written. Anything less than 95% will be disappointing.

Consider it a participation score. :)

During my PPL training I had a little trouble remembering what the CDI was indicating. If the vertical bar was two dots to the right does that mean I have to turn left or right to get back on course?
Neither. The position of the CDI needle only tells you the location of the radial in relation to your location, not your nose, I.e., the heading you need to fly, not which way to turn. Once you've done that, you determine which way to turn by looking at your heading indicator and seeing whether the heading selected off the CDI is to the left or right of where the nose is currently pointed. Once you understand this fundamental principle, VOR orientation, interception, and tracking becomes very easy. but as long as you are operating under the false impression that the CDI needle tells you whether to turn left or right, you're going to have a lot of difficulty.

I am glad to hear that makes your day. The materials are really good, and seem worthy of paid content. Since you're not being paid, I am glad to hear that the mere appreciation of your content is at least some remuneration, albeit nonpecuniary.

Business isn't my strong suit. :redface:

As a pilot examiner, the higher the score applicants came in with, the more I figured they memorized the answers. A lesser score didn't always indicate anything other than somebody didn't read the questions closely enough.

I'd rather see a wrong answer that was just caused by a misreading of the question than a "right" answer to a bogus one. As an applicant myself, I often didn't agree with the answer key provided by ACME (at the time), but they had reliable information as to what the FAA wanted. So, what good is 100% of a 95% accurate test? Even if you get a perfect score, how meaningful is that if the FAA didn't answer all their own questions correctly? I've seen it happen.

I had a copilot once who formerly ran a flight school with a written test center. We disagreed about an aerodynamic principle (don't remember exactly which one right now). He supported his contention with a written test question and the correct answer on an FAA exam and showed me a citation in Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators that appeared to back him up. It was one of the answer choices verbatim. So, I went home and read the entire chapter, not just the lifted text, and came back the next day and showed him that a page or two later they were making my case for me. Flipping through reference books and grabbing words out of context isn't just for FAA test writers either, the Chief Counsel does it often.

dtuuri

Last edited:
Neither. The position of the CDI needle only tells you the location of the radial in relation to your location, not your nose, I.e., the heading you need to fly, not which way to turn. Once you've done that, you determine which way to turn by looking at your heading indicator and seeing whether the heading selected off the CDI is to the left or right of where the nose is currently pointed. Once you understand this fundamental principle, VOR orientation, interception, and tracking becomes very easy. but as long as you are operating under the false impression that the CDI needle tells you whether to turn left or right, you're going to have a lot of difficulty.

Okay, I agree that you're right but I'll laugh if you didn't know what I meant.

Of course it doesn't tell you which way to turn but if I'm tracking a radial inbound and get off course a bit then, yes, it tells me which way to turn.

Well, if it makes you feel any worse, I got 100% on the PP written back in 2000 and 97% on the IR written 2 or 3 years ago. King Schools (plus other sources) for both. Didn't seem to have any impact on the check-rides. The DPE is still going to ask their questions.

Regardless, best of luck.

98.6% (1 incorrect) is the worst, I rather gotten a 95%, 1 wrong is like throwing a 1 hitter in baseball.

Okay, I agree that you're right but I'll laugh if you didn't know what I meant.
I did, and your statement shows a fundamental misconception about the VOR nav system which has caused me no end of headaches training people for the IR practical test.

Of course it doesn't tell you which way to turn but if I'm tracking a radial inbound and get off course a bit then, yes, it tells me which way to turn.
Only in a very, very limited sense, and it interferes with the thinking needed to fly instruments accurately. I've spent many, many hours retraining people who think that way so they can learn to do VOR orientation, interception, and tracking well enough to pass an IR practical test.

I did, and your statement shows a fundamental misconception about the VOR nav system which has caused me no end of headaches training people for the IR practical test.

Only in a very, very limited sense, and it interferes with the thinking needed to fly instruments accurately. I've spent many, many hours retraining people who think that way so they can learn to do VOR orientation, interception, and tracking well enough to pass an IR practical test.

Funny, never had trouble with it. Tune in a VOR, select the radial, CDI shows how far you're off laterally, to/from indicator shows wither you're inbound or outbound on that radial. Perhaps I'm trivializing it because I never really had a problem using the VOR and CDI, just seemed so obvious to me.

...to/from indicator shows wither you're inbound or outbound on that radial.
The compass shows whether you're inbound or outbound and converging or diverging on the radial (wind effects disregarded).

dtuuri

Last edited:
Funny, never had trouble with it. Tune in a VOR, select the radial, CDI shows how far you're off laterally, to/from indicator shows wither you're inbound or outbound on that radial. Perhaps I'm trivializing it because I never really had a problem using the VOR and CDI, just seemed so obvious to me.

:confused: Uh, no. If you tune in, say the 179 FROM Radial, and fly 359 course you will show "on course" but be flying the wrong way.

I think when you start IR training you'll discover that you are in fact examining a trivial case, and your technique will fail you in most situations. It generally takes a couple of hours of talking, training aid, and sim work to get people to the point where I can put them anywhere within range of a given VOR, and then have them figure out where they are intercept/join/track a desired VOR radial quickly and accurately. The biggest barrier to accomplishing that is them having been taught that the needle position means "turn left/right" as there are many situations where you have to turn in the direction opposite the needle to get where you want to go.

:confused: Uh, no. If you tune in, say the 179 FROM Radial, and fly 359 course you will show "on course" but be flying the wrong way.

That's why I mentioned the to/from flag showing wither you and inbound or outbound.

I think when you start IR training you'll discover that you are in fact examining a trivial case, and your technique will fail you in most situations. It generally takes a couple of hours of talking, training aid, and sim work to get people to the point where I can put them anywhere within range of a given VOR, and then have them figure out where they are intercept/join/track a desired VOR radial quickly and accurately. The biggest barrier to accomplishing that is them having been taught that the needle position means "turn left/right" as there are many situations where you have to turn in the direction opposite the needle to get where you want to go.

Fine, I have no idea what I am doing, you're 10000% right. Because I made a quick anecdote that doesn't reflect at all what I was taught, know, or use in the plane with VOR, and despite whatever I say to the contrary clearly you know exactly what I know and how I'm entirely not going to be able to use a VOR. Herp derp the needle means turn right or left... :goofy:

</heavy, annoyed sarcasm>

Funny, I was never taught anything like that. I do remember way way back wondering if the VOR knew anything about my heading or whether it was strictly reading based on my location in space relative to the transmitter. I don't remember if I got the answer from an AC, the AIM, or whether I asked my instructor, but I was quickly set straight on the concept. I think that was in my primary training, it was certainly long before I started IR training.

I don't doubt that there are SOME instructors who teach what you are saying. But if one of my astronomy students said that the Moon's left side is in shadow during first quarter, I wouldn't automatically assume that she thinks the Moon's phases are caused by the Earth's shadow, even though that is a common misconception.

Last edited:
Funny, I was never taught anything like that. I do remember way way back wondering if the VOR knew anything about my heading or whether it was strictly reading based on my location in space relative to the transmitter. I don't remember if I got the answer from an AC, the AIM, or whether I asked my instructor, but I was quickly set straight on the concept. I think that was in my primary training, it was certainly long before I started IR training.

I don't doubt that there are SOME instructors who teach what you are saying. But if one of my astronomy students said that the Moon's left side is in shadow during first quarter, I wouldn't automatically assume that she thinks the Moon's phases are caused by the Earth's shadow, even though that is a common misconception.

Thank you.

Thank you.

You really need to watch your language in a room full of CFIs and pseudo-CFIs, like here. :) We're sensitive to clues the speaker might not 'get it'.

I had to fail a nuclear engineer, I think (he had a Phd in mathematics and worked for the same company that built Three Mile Island), because on his cross-country he misidentified a check point and then blew the radio navigation problem I tossed him as a 'life preserver'. I said, "Ok, let's assume you're lost now and need to use your radio equipment to get reoriented." There was an NDB right under us, but he had never used the ADF in his plane before, so needed to rely on the VORs. By the time the second one was tuned and centered, the first one showed "fly left", so he turned left... and kept on turning until he did a 360°. That's where I dropped the anchor.

dtuuri

Last edited:

Did you enter the system early enough to "get" to teach four-course LF range station orientations?:)

Give a couple thousand hours of instrument training and you'll see what dtuuri and I are talking about often enough to make you crazy. It's that oversimplification which you expressed which leads to that problem. In fact, I can show you many VOR situations where with the needle left of center you have to turn right -- and I'm not talking LOC BC, either.

Last edited:
Ah there it is. The no one can possibly know as much as me comment because I have (insert experience here) and you should all bow down to me and never question anything I ever say, EVER!

Give a couple thousand hours of instrument training and you'll see what dtuuri and I are talking about often enough to make you crazy. It's that oversimplification which you expressed which leads to that problem. In fact, I can show you many VOR situations where with the needle left of center you have to turn right -- and I'm not talking LOC BC, either.
Why would you think that I would be surprised by any of those situations? I can think of one or two trivial ones off the top of my head. I remember questions on the IR written (at least, the OLD written) with pictures of airplanes on various headings and positions relative to a VOR that would be good fodder for a discussion about that.

Actually THAT might be a useful discussion to have. More useful anyway than jumping on someone for saying something that MIGHT (or might not) be a red flag pointing to a misunderstanding.

Last edited:
Back