iPad vs. Nexus 7

I have a 10" android tablet and don't like using it in the plane either. To be honest since I've got the nexus I rarely use the bigger tablet or my netbook anymore. The 7" nexus is just so light and convenient to carry around with you for everything.

I have a 10" android tablet and don't like using it in the plane either. To be honest since I've got the nexus I rarely use the bigger tablet or my netbook anymore. The 7" nexus is just so light and convenient to carry around with you for everything.

Good to know. You have the 16 or 32 Gb? I think I can get by with the 16 for just the Garmin Pilot, but I like more memory if I begin using it for other things.

I have the 16g, I bought it before the 32g came out. 16 is fine unless you want to keep a bunch of movies on it or something.

The Nexus is all new to me. The iPad has been great. I just have a hard time paying essentially double for the same form factor. Can you confirm the WiFi only version has the GPS built in?

Yup all I have is the wifi version. The gps in mine is awesome, it locks onto satellites in about 5 seconds.

Yup all I have is the wifi version. The gps in mine is awesome, it locks onto satellites in about 5 seconds.

Appreciate confirming this for me. Looks like the way to go. I wish some of these had SD chip capability. Would make it easier for me to update my avionics databases. I always seem to forget to bring the chips home with me and find myself dragging my laptop to the airport to update my SD chips.

Merlin forgot to post a pic of this new split screen. Pilot now has every feature I've ever wanted, and a couple that I never even considered. Can't wait to fly with it! :)

Edit: Ignore the stupid volume slider at the top. That's normally not visible.

pudazeju.jpg

I just installed the latest Garmin Pilot version on my Nexus a couple minutes ago. Outstanding.

I'll be taking it up with me for a short hop tomorrow afternoon. That'll be my first chance to fly with it since I got it.

OK folks, I am officially a Nexus user... Damn you all! So my next question is how do I convert my Garmin pilot from my iPad over to the Nexus?

I didn't realize the Nexus has a voice to speech capability. That alone made my day!

Used the GI Bill book stipend to spring for an Ipad. Gotta start researching cases suitable for school. Won't be using in cockpit for awhile.

Strongly considered Nexus but wanted 3g connectivity and known future support.

OK folks, I am officially a Nexus user... Damn you all! So my next question is how do I convert my Garmin pilot from my iPad over to the Nexus?

Make sure you've created a Garmin Pilot account on your iPad (in GP, under Settings->Subscriptions). Once you're logged in, just use that same username/password to log into Garmin Pilot on the Nexus.

thanks ray! it's going to take me a little bit of time to get comfortable to were things are on this unit as opposed to the iPad. first order of business is to find my google account information :)

I didn't realize the Nexus has a voice to speech capability. That alone made my day!

Ummm... Voice to speech? Aren't those the same thing? :D

(If you meant voice to text, the iPad has that too - except the older ones)

Well I just had the second Nexus 7 turn into a glorified paperweight.

For such a wonderful device, two for two complete bricks and no store within 100 miles to get a replacement for either one tells me something, and it ain't good:rolleyes:

At least when my iPod touch bricked I just walked into the Apple store and walked out with a new one in two minutes. No fuss, no money changing hands. The best Staples did on the fantasic Nexus 7 was a refund which is OK as far as it goes.

Cheers

Last edited:

Was there a similar sequence of actions leading to their death? I know a lot of non-pilot N7 owners and none have bricked theirs, even with constant rooting and ROM installs, so it's weird that you've had two die on you.

I do know that when you run the battery right down that it takes a bit on a charger to get it to come alive again.

Yep, I've got the X-Grip combined with a yoke (not suction) mount. It works great with the N7.

Just ordered the yoke mount. Even the N7 is too big to glue to the windscreen in a C-152. But it sure works well.

Actually, I ordered a bunch of mix and match parts so I can fit it to almost anything.
Thank you Jay, for turning me on to this.

Glenn

Just ordered the yoke mount. Even the N7 is too big to glue to the windscreen in a C-152. But it sure works well.

Do you ever lose GPS signal while using the N7 in the C152? Maybe it's just me.

Hopefully the XGPS150 works well. I'll try it when the weather clears up here.

For such a wonderful device, two for two complete bricks and no store within 100 miles to get a replacement for either one tells me something, and it ain't good:rolleyes:

At least when my iPod touch bricked I just walked into the Apple store and walked out with a new one in two minutes. No fuss, no money changing hands. The best Staples did on the fantasic Nexus 7 was a refund which is OK as far as it goes.

Cheers

I've heard of some people able to reset theirs by holding down the power button for 20-30 seconds.

Sorry to hear that. Care to share more details? I've got two now (16 and 32 GB) and no problems - my old one was cleaned up and given to my daughter for Christmas and she hasn't been able to break it yet.

Do you ever lose GPS signal while using the N7 in the C152? Maybe it's just me.

Hopefully the XGPS150 works well. I'll try it when the weather clears up here.

I haven't noticed it losing GPS, but I've only had it since Christmas. I have about 8 hours in the cockpit with it.
One thing that pleasantly surprised me today. I was flying strictly VOR, to make sure both receivers were working. The N7 was in my backpack behind the seat. When I finally pulled it out, it was already locked on.
I'm not using Garmin Pilot, I have Naviator, MetarMap Lite, FlightIntel and AOPA FlyQ (the low budget apps :D)

Glenn

Both of them were non responsive after being on the charger overnight after the low battery indications. Holding down the start button for 10 or 20 or 30 seconds or 10 minutes or a fortnight does zero. The tech at Staples announced "I haven't seen this before.". To which I replied, "Now you have.":D

Two for two within two weeks of purchase.:rolleyes2:

Looks like proof of the law of electronics. Either it fails fairly quickly or lasts practically forever.

Cheers

Last edited:
Both of them were non responsive after being on the charger overnight after the low battery indications.

Stupid question, but you didn't happen to use the same adapter/cable combo both times, did you? Same outlet?

I'm with the guy at Staples, heh...

Stupid question, but you didn't happen to use the same adapter/cable combo both times, did you? Same outlet?

I'm with the guy at Staples, heh...

Two different houses. Two completely different units. Actually three different locations since I tried at the office as well.

Two different houses. Two completely different units. Actually three different locations since I tried at the office as well.

So, they both had their initial deaths the same way, but in two different places with two different cable/adapter combos?

I haven't seen this before. :)

Are you sure other guy at Staples didn't just give you the same unit back? :rolleyes:

They are indeed the same thing! I was just so giddy playing with this new Nexus, I lost it.

I have an iPad 2 and it doesn't have speech to text capabilities. So I'm loving it.

I also had an chance to fly with the Nexus this evening. Wonder why Garmin Pilot versions are setup a bit differently on the iPad and Nexus? I will fly with both this weekend and see what else is different. :eek:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I see the Geo Referenced Flight Charts is a $50/yr. option. Does this mean without that you don't have a moving map? Doesn't sound right so what do you have without it?
Thanks!

Maybe he meant the Assistant? I have mine talking to me in a wicked Kate Beckinsale British accented voice that would melt butter. She gives me a briefing every morning... :lol:

Cheers

Wow, that sucks. Can you share a bit more of your experience? We've got three Nexus 7s in the immediate family, and many more amongst friends and extended family -- and no one has reported this sort of problem.

Key strokes? Rooting? Off-Play Store Apps? Anything you're doing that's out of the ordinary?

Last edited:
I see the Geo Referenced Flight Charts is a $50/yr. option. Does this mean without that you don't have a moving map? Doesn't sound right so what do you have without it?
Thanks!

I think this refers to approach plates and safe taxi in terms of geo ref.

Are you sure other guy at Staples didn't just give you the same unit back? :rolleyes:

It was two units bought at the same time and they both failed the same way within a week of each other and two weeks after I bought them.

My assessment is QC went out the window in the Christmas build up. With all the cheer leading for these beauties, it may be hard to believe thay can be crappy at times just like any other piece of electronics but it can and does happen.

When they were working, they were nice little tablets but $199 plus tax is a little steep for a paperweight. :D

Cheer

Wow, that sucks. Can you share a bit more of your experience? We've got three Nexus 7s in the immediate family, and many more amongst friends and extended family -- and no one has reported this sort of problem.

Key strokes? Rooting? Off-Play Store Apps? Anything you're doing that's out of the ordinary?

To answer in order, No, no, no and no. As stated before, low battery, plugged in charger, no charge and completely dead. One after a week and one after two weeks. Back to Staples and confirmed as a brick.

My credit card now has two credits of $199+tax.

Cheers

I think this refers to approach plates and safe taxi in terms of geo ref.

You're right. Found the owner's manual for it and got my answers.
Thank you.

PS: special right now for $49/yr. :goofy:

Last edited:
The in-app price is $49 / year, also.

uploadfromtaptalk1357959547942.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Back