iPad vs. Nexus 7

Again, I find Android on phone (no clue on the Nexus since they died before I could really use them:mad:) stupidly complex while Apple intuitive. The only thing I use iTunes for is backup. Nothing else I use/need requires iTunes.

Sounds like you were about 5 versions of iTunes behind. ;)

Cheers

Sounds like you found a unique way to kill two Android tablets. :what:

Garmin also doesn't honor Android screen brightness settings, so you always need to tweak that in the app. I wish it just followed the Android master setting.

Garmin Pilot automatically defaults to maximum brightness on the Nexus 7.

I think when it comes to GUIs, people are wired differently and what makes sense to one person doesn't to another. The Nexus for me doesn't have a flow. Looks like a bunch of different pages or whatever they are (widgets?) intermingled with stuff that looks like pages. I haven't been able to find the camera. I see the camera lense, but can't find an app to use it. On the iPad, there is an app called "Camera". No brainier.

I'm sure I will figure it all out, just will take some time.

Actually, that is one of the funniest glitches on the Nexus 7. The Asus developers never thought anyone would use the Nexus 7 camera as a camera. They put it there to use solely as a webcam in other apps. So, they did not include a native camera function in the Nexus 7.

Only after the fact did they come up with an actual camera app. It's available for free on the Google Play store. :D

Karen has to carry a Samsung tablet for real work these days. (Don't get me started on HIPAA and the ten violations I see just looking at her home screen... Yes, she's entering medical records on it. Via cellular data. Via SSL/http. No they didn't lock it from accessing WiFi networks. Yes, I've sniffed it.)

Friday she hands it to me and says, "Why does it do that?" It was sitting at the login screen, completely unresponsive to touch, but one could wake it up, put it back to sleep, etc... with hard buttons. No hard button to pop the onscreen keyboard though.

I told her, "Because modern programmers are idiots. Just wait a sec. I bet they put the touch hardware to sleep and even though the User Interface acts like its ready, the silly thing needs a minute."

"How will I know when it's ready?"

"Just beat on it like a monkey, since that's apparently what their QA testers did."

Garmin Pilot automatically defaults to maximum brightness on the Nexus 7.

Well, mine falls asleep like it ate a big turkey dinner with extra stuffing. It seems to shut down on the 30 minute Nexus timer. I will play with it more and see if I can reproduce it.

Actually, that is one of the funniest glitches on the Nexus 7. The Asus developers never thought anyone would use the Nexus 7 camera as a camera. They put it there to use solely as a webcam in other apps. So, they did not include a native camera function in the Nexus 7.

Only after the fact did they come up with an actual camera app. It's available for free on the Google Play store. :D

Thanks for the clue. I did notice that in this app (Tapatalk) it does use it as a camera. I will look for the Google Play app. Thanks for the lead.

I have never had Garmin Pilot go to "sleep" on my Nexus 7, ever, from the very first version. :what:

Jay,

I just have to start the app, then set it down and wait. It will sleep on the Nexus display timer setting. The really odd thing is, right after I installed the upgrade this is the first thing I checked. It seemed to be working just fine and I thought that problem was gone. I'm sure I wasn't seeing things, so I can't explain it.

I'm waiting to hear back from Garmin. I was at their avionics flight test facility yesterday (one of the perks of living next door), and should have pestered one of the guys there about it.

As far as the nexus going to sleep, what i have found is if you are not moving the device will go to sleep when in the garmin pilot app. However if the app is running and you are flying it will not go to sleep. At least this is how it works for me. Also there are apps out there that will allow you to keep the screen on while running certain apps.

As far as the nexus going to sleep, what i have found is if you are not moving the device will go to sleep when in the garmin pilot app. However if the app is running and you are flying it will not go to sleep. At least this is how it works for me. Also there are apps out there that will allow you to keep the screen on while running certain apps.

I'm not sure what is going on with it. It definitely fell asleep while flying with it yesterday. Maybe I will try driving around with it and see what it does.

This where the iOS manual says it will stay awake if moving >40kts. I can't find any info on the 'droid version.

Jay,

I just have to start the app, then set it down and wait. It will sleep on the Nexus display timer setting. The really odd thing is, right after I installed the upgrade this is the first thing I checked. It seemed to be working just fine and I thought that problem was gone. I'm sure I wasn't seeing things, so I can't explain it.

I'm waiting to hear back from Garmin. I was at their avionics flight test facility yesterday (one of the perks of living next door), and should have pestered one of the guys there about it.

May not have helped. Those app developers are here in Minnesota. I fly over them all the time!

Last edited:
Normally I fly with Naviator on my Nexus 7, but I finally put Garmin Pilot on and flew with it today.
Garmin Pilot does just fine, except:
The plane is too small compared to the one used on Naviator.
I can't figure out how to set a single point, not a route, a single point and save it.

Explaination: I often "sightsee". I take off with no destination in mind. I may go out and practice maneuvers, or just look for interesting things to look at. Then I may decide I want breakfast\lunch\dinner "Where's airport XYZ from here? The diner there makes great chili." I just want to be able to call up my list of saved airports (I actually call 44N "waffles") pick the one I want and go.

Is it posible in Garmin Pilot? Anyone know how?

Thanks

Glenn

You should be able to set up a user-waypoint and name it whatever you want, then select it from the Direct-To menu. I haven't tried that yet. Otherwise, the Direct-To and Nearest work.

You should be able to set up a user-waypoint and name it whatever you want, then select it from the Direct-To menu. I haven't tried that yet. Otherwise, the Direct-To and Nearest work.

Matthew is correct. Just push on the screen where you want the user waypoint to be and select the little flag in the circle. Name the waypoint. It then is available both on the Nexus and iPad as a searchable, viewable waypoint that you can select either in a flight plan or use the direct to function.

I just tried it. It sort of works on the Nexus. I touched on the map until the radial thing popped up. I used it to create a waypoint. Then I went into the direct-to menu and tried to select it from the waypoint menu. But the menu is blank. I can search by typing in the name and it will show up, but that's the only way I got it to work. Or, I could touch the waypoint on the map and select direct-to from the radial menu and it worked OK.

I just tried it. It sort of works on the Nexus. I touched on the map until the radial thing popped up. I used it to create a waypoint. Then I went into the direct-to menu and tried to select it from the waypoint menu. But the menu is blank. I can search by typing in the name and it will show up, but that's the only way I got it to work. Or, I could touch the waypoint on the map and select direct-to from the radial menu and it worked OK.

Not sure what may be going on. I was able to create one. It shows up on the map and when I touch the screen (long tap) and get the circle, I can select "direct to" on the circle and at the waypoint, it then asks if I want to go to the waypoint there or the map touch itself.

Not sure what may be going on. I was able to create one. It shows up on the map and when I touch the screen (long tap) and get the circle, I can select "direct to" on the circle and at the waypoint, it then asks if I want to go to the waypoint there or the map touch itself.

Yeah - that works. Now, touch the direct-to in the upper left of the map to get into that screen. You'll see waypoints, flight plan, and nearest. On mine, the waypoints list is empty - but, I can type the name of the waypoint in the search box and it will show. I figured the user defined waypoints would show up without having to type it in each time.

That was the dumbest three minutes of my life, yet. Thanks for sharing. :rolleyes:

:rofl:

Hey, no problem! Glad I could help!

I am not sure if there is value to that video or not. That lady tries to destroy electronics. There is a 45 minute video she just did from CES trying to destroy many devices from drop tests to heat to nitrogen freezing. Some survived, some did not. Take what you want from it and leave the rest I guess.

David

The good news is you can buy a replacement Nexus and still have less invested than if you'd bought the iPad. I still have both and like them both for different reasons, but if I had nothing and didn't want to put much cash at risk I'd buy the Nexus and never look back.

:rofl:

Hey, no problem! Glad I could help!

I am not sure if there is value to that video or not. That lady tries to destroy electronics. There is a 45 minute video she just did from CES trying to destroy many devices from drop tests to heat to nitrogen freezing. Some survived, some did not. Take what you want from it and leave the rest I guess.

David

I want her job. :D

Still, baking electronics in an oven for an hour seems, well, dumb. Her acting surprised that the plastic case had actually warped was priceless.

And then, after warping the case, she was surprised that the unit could not survive being dropped in a bathtub full of water? Really?

If someone is paying her to do those videos, they aren't getting their money's worth...

I have to say, the "Direct to" feature is really nice. Thanks guys, for the instruction.
In the middle of the flight, I decided to fly to "waffles". Push the button, tell it go and the magic line appeared.
Alas, I didn't have waffles. I couldn't resist the aroma of the bacon, egg and cheese on a hard roll this morning. I may have to rename the airport, they did such a good job.

Do we have a best food thread? I'll go look.

Glenn

I have to confess I haven't read this whole thread, although I did get about halfway through ... :) Just thought I'd chime in and say my CFI just bought a Nexus 7 and took it up with us today, and I was impressed. He was using Garmin Pilot. It tracked right along with the plane's GPS (Garmin 530). Altitude was a little bit off, but there may have been a setting that needed to be tweaked. Everything else was right on.

I was initially leaning towards an iPad Mini (before they were released), but the lack of a GPS is a deal-breaker. I do prefer the quality control Apple has over app development, but I think today's experience convinced me to pick up a Nexus 7. Even though all my home and work computers are Mac OSX, my phone is Android (Galaxy SII) and I actually prefer my phone's features to the iPhone (4, I don't have experience with the 5 yet).

IPADs with cellular option have GPS.

Yep...for a $130 premium, or $459 for the 16G mini vs. $199 for the 16G Nexus with GPS standard...and a higher resolution screen.

As cheap as GPS chips are it amazes me that Apple does include them in all devices.

As cheap as GPS chips are it amazes me that Apple does include them in all devices.

Do you think they might actually be in all the devices, but the chip just isn't supported/activated in non cellular devices to generate revenue (more people purchasing cell version)?

Do you think they might actually be in all the devices, but the chip just isn't supported/activated in non cellular devices to generate revenue (more people purchasing cell version)?

Nope.

3G units have the black window on the back that lets the GPS and Cellular signals reach the antenna sets that are only on those units.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-ipad-differences-between-configurations.html

ipad-backs.jpg

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad+3G+Teardown/2374/2
CV4kNDZfhnsR44Zj.medium

...the GPS antenna assembly.

Yep. The GPS chip is built into the 3g/4g module. So no 3g/4g, no GPS. I don't think it's a conscious choice (the market for 'must have GPS' is pretty small, as in just us), it's simply a matter of what modules they are using and how things are unitized.

... (the market for 'must have GPS' is pretty small, as in just us)....

I'd think many people using their iPads for navigation are also very interested in having the GPS function. I was thinking of buying my daughter a tablet instead of a traditional GPS navigation device for her car. Ultimately I found the vehicle marketed GPS boxes easier to program and use on the fly.

Back