iPad vs. Nexus 7

So, at 1118 posts here, have we come to a consensus yet on which is better, Nexus 7 or iPad?

David

Hell, we've been working on high wing vs. low wing and nose dragger vs. tail dragger for much longer than that.

Hell, we've been working on high wing vs. low wing and nose dragger vs. tail dragger for much longer than that.

True, true. And we pilots can never seem to agree on a lot.

I suppose the debate will go on until something better than Nexus or iPad comes out.

David

:sigh:

Everything is disposable these days.

Yep...it's the nature of the beast. Better, faster and cheaper the next time around. We should be celebrating that!!

Remember...as long as what you have meets your needs, there's no reason in the world to upgrade.

Agreed, but as I haven't yet climbed aboard, is there any reason to wait for 5.0 Key Lime Pie?

As one of my bosses was found of saying, better is the enemy of good enough. If it meets your needs use it. There will always be something new coming along. I even still have XP on a notebook that is fine for what I need and see no reason to update it. When the device dies, I will get whatever meets my requirements which are pretty simple. If ForeFlight stops supporting iOS on my iPad 1, I may upgrade but likely not just for that reason since I flew without it before and can do so again.;)

Cheers

Agreed, but as I haven't yet climbed aboard, is there any reason to wait for 5.0 Key Lime Pie?

No....I can find no feature worth waiting for. Odds are good the Nexus 7 will be one of the first to support it when it does arrive.

So, at 1118 posts here, have we come to a consensus yet on which is better, Nexus 7 or iPad?

David

Let's sum up:

- Processor speed? Nexus 7
- Display resolution? Nexus 7
- Price? Nexus 7
- Operating system customization? Nexus 7

It's really not even close.

The only thing you can say, in any attempt to defend the Apple product, is "I like ForeFlight better".

Let's sum up:

The only thing you can say, in any attempt to defend the Apple product, is "I like ForeFlight better".

Yes, let's sum up.

Well then, you may note that the N7 is heavier, thicker, lacks a high res camera, and tops out at 50% of the maximum available RAM of the Mini. But maybe those aren't "measurable" on a spec sheet? ;)

SNIP

I don't care, I'm chiefly attached to the iPad because I'm attached to the iOS ecosystem, and because I like Foreflight, but let's not exaggerate. I also REALLY appreciate 64Gb of storage when I'm traveling in areas where access to my media on the cloud is really slow.

Edit: and as noted above many of us prefer the intuitive operating system and the mostly-painless app compatability after operating system updates from Apple, not to mention the better screening of apps before they hit the virtual store (not that there aren't tens of thousands of silly junk apps available for both devices.). Others prefer the better customization features of the Android interface. Still others bravely appreciate the challenge of navigating a slightly less-intuitive interface and addressing backward-compatability issues every time they invent a new flavor of Android.

I will note that I am both an Apple and Google fan.

Last edited:
Let's sum up:

- Price? Nexus 7

^^ Oh, the fanboy is strong with this one. :dunno:

Yep...it's the nature of the beast. Better, faster and cheaper the next time around. We should be celebrating that!!

Remember...as long as what you have meets your needs, there's no reason in the world to upgrade.

Agree. I plan on keeping this Ipad until it dies. No need to upgrade for incremental improvements.

No, I gave the iPad a two year shot. It was fine, but the Nexus 7 is simply better, and costs far less to own.

No, we are all reading your posts.

You've been gushing like a schoolgirl at a Justin Bieber concert. :blowingkisses:

Those Apple fanboys got nuthin' on you.

No, we are all reading your posts.

You've been gushing like a schoolgirl at a Justin Bieber concert. :blowingkisses:

Those Apple fanboys got nuthin' on you.

The difference between me, and an Apple fanboi, is that I actually owned and used the opposing product for two YEARS before passing judgment.

In other words, my opinion is based on actual experience, not on an infatuation with shiny things. :D

Bottom line for me and what I recommend to students is simple:

If you want the lowest cost entry point the Nexus 7 running Garmin Pilot is, hands down, the most bang for the buck you can get.

If you're a big Apple fan, already have an iPad or there are other iPad-only things you want to run, get an iPad and run ForeFlight...which is still my preferred EFB software product. The iPad is a higher quality unit than the Nexus (overall fit and finish), but you'll have to pay double to get the same capability.

I have both products and currently plan to keep and use BOTH for the foreseeable future.

The difference between me, and an Apple fanboi, is that I actually owned and used the opposing product for two YEARS before passing judgment.

In other words, my opinion is based on actual experience, not on an infatuation with shiny things. :D

We love you Jay, but it sure seems like teenage infatuation to the casual observer. :wink2:

Why don't I just let you make my point for me ... from just one thread :yesnod:

I keep mine gorgeously naked.

The Nexus 7 is like a warm puppy that worms its way into your life. Soon, you'll find yourself taking it everywhere, and talking to it. It's everything I wanted the iPad to be.

In my tryptophan/egg nog-induced post Xmas-eve dinner stupor, I realized that today marks 5 months with the Asus Nexus 7 tablet. Thus, I thought I'd give you guys an update on this remarkable device.

It would be no exaggeration to say that the N7 truly changed my world. Almost immediately, it began to go everywhere with me...

You would think after five months the shine might be off the apple (lol!), but nope -- we just keep finding new things to do with it.

I'm not sure if I would know how to structure a day without one anymore!:D

We'll just have to shake hands, crack a beer, and agree that the Nexus 7 is the best product ever made.

Obviously the N7 does everything I was using my iPad for, and more.... It has truly become ubiquitous...

M20J
El Paso

Poor guy, seems to have waaaaaay too much time to burn. I'd suggest flying....

No, I gave the iPad a two year shot. It was fine, but the Nexus 7 is simply better, and costs far less to own.

If you had an iPad and "it was fine", you actually spent $199 (or $249 for the 32G) more than you needed to. ;)

Cost of an iPad + Cost of a Nexus 7 > Cost of a Nexus 7 alone.

But if you like it and another $199 is worth what you wanted, who am I to judge?

Even if a Nexus is better, I see no need to buy another device to replace one that is working well. If and when my iPad dies, then the Nexus is a very viable replacement and the cost difference is a good consideration. But $199 buys a lot of other stuff if I don't need a replacement for something that fits my needs. :thumbsup:

OTOH, if pilots were financially astute, they wouldn't be pilots in the first place:D

Cheers

M20J
El Paso

Poor guy, seems to have waaaaaay too much time to burn. I'd suggest flying....

Wow, I'll say. I can't imagine having time to read, sort, copy and paste a post like that! It must've taken an hour! :rolleyes:

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3...

Last edited:
If you had an iPad and "it was fine", you actually spent $199 (or $249 for the 32G) more than you needed to. ;)

Cost of an iPad + Cost of a Nexus 7 > Cost of a Nexus 7 alone.

But if you like it and another $199 is worth what you wanted, who am I to judge?

Even if a Nexus is better, I see no need to buy another device to replace one that is working well. If and when my iPad dies, then the Nexus is a very viable replacement and the cost difference is a good consideration. But $199 buys a lot of other stuff if I don't need a replacement for something that fits my needs. :thumbsup:

OTOH, if pilots were financially astute, they wouldn't be pilots in the first place:D

Cheers

Ain't THAT the truth? :D

The iPad was just too big for my aircraft. I'm sure the Mini -- Apple's answer to the Nexus 7 -- is better suited to life in a spam can, but the specs don't compare.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3...

Wow, I'll say. I can't imagine having time to read, sort, copy and paste a post like that! It must've taken an hour! :rolleyes:

Nah, it was only a few minutes. I wasn't using a Nexus 7. :wink2:

Just had to yank your chain a bit though, Jay -- watching how this thread has evolved.

It was intended in good fun.

I have to agree. The iPad is superior to the Nexus 7. Keep in mind that if the iPad is too big, there is always the iPad mini.

I have to agree. The iPad is superior to the Nexus 7. Keep in mind that if the iPad is too big, there is always the iPad mini.

But it's against the mini the Nexus shines! Better resolution and GPS for half the cost.

Let's sum up:

- Price? Nexus 7

Are you serious? Are you talking about the iPad mini versus the Nexus 7?

For me I have to use an iPad because my company requires it in the cockpit, we can't use another EFB. I have used the Nexus 7 and it is pretty damn sweet, but I HATE Android, it is so buggy and botched together.

For me I have to use an iPad because my company requires it in the cockpit, we can't use another EFB. I have used the Nexus 7 and it is pretty damn sweet, but I HATE Android, it is so buggy and botched together.

It's not on the Nexus... No carrier modifications to screw things up.

I thought it was a bit buggy when I used it, granted I only used it a short while. I am not saying the Nexus, or any other tablet WON'T do this, but we have flown trail runs of two ipad's in the cockpit of each of our aircraft and didn't have a single failure. They are extremely reliable for us and we are in the situation of being required by regs to carry it as our sole means of company documents, and chart data. Having just been approved for the iPad Mini I sold my iPad 3 and bought a Mini. I have been very happy with it so far even though I took a hit not having a retina display anymore.

Having just been approved for the iPad Mini I sold my iPad 3 and bought a Mini. I have been very happy with it so far even though I took a hit not having a retina display anymore.

Give them six months...they'll have Retina mini and obsolete your new device!

Welcome to the technology industry. Ill sell this one and buy the new one just like I always do.

Are you serious? Are you talking about the iPad mini versus the Nexus 7?

Mini or regular iPad, although the regular one now has screen resolution equal to the Nexus 7's. The Mini's is markedly inferior to the N7's.

I bought a Nexus 7 this week. I already own an iPad 1. I think Android 4.2 is much more stable than the Android 2.3 I had in my old Samsung Galaxy 1.

Nexus tablets running 4.2 (i.e. all of them) have one advantage that render all iPads obsolete!

Nexus tablets have multiple users! This is a huge advantage for anyone who shares a tablet with friends, family, or employees.

iOS doesn't have multiple users. Therefore, prima facia, ipso facto, iOS sucks!

Mini or regular iPad, although the regular one now has screen resolution equal to the Nexus 7's. The Mini's is markedly inferior to the N7's.

The screen of the Nexus 7 is not better than the 9.7in iPad retina display, sorry. Pixel density is lower than the Nexus 7, its simple numbers. Ram is the same, in capacity. But all I have to do is google benchmark tests to see that the Nexus 7 loses to the iPad 4 in every performance perimeter. Hell, according to examiner.com the Nexus 7 is dead last against the Nexus 10, iPad 4, and even iPad Mini in CPU performance. The Nexus 7 also falls below the iPad 4 and Mini in GPU performance.

iOS doesn't have multiple users. Therefore, prima facia, ipso facto, iOS sucks!

This is literally like saying your cell phone should have a users account. Tablets are supposed to be a personal device so I fail to see how iOS sucks because it doesn't have user accounts lol.

The screen of the Nexus 7 is not better than the 9.7in iPad retina display, sorry. Pixel density is lower than the Nexus 7, its simple numbers. Ram is the same, in capacity. But all I have to do is google benchmark tests to see that the Nexus 7 loses to the iPad 4 in every performance perimeter. Hell, according to examiner.com the Nexus 7 is dead last against the Nexus 10, iPad 4, and even iPad Mini in CPU performance. The Nexus 7 also falls below the iPad 4 and Mini in GPU performance.

How dare you prove him wrong!!! :rofl:

Has anyone though about why the Nexus needs a faster CPU? More overhead to process with the Java language does not equal a faster machine.

My guess is that it has the fastest processor of the Nexus family because it is the newest released. The A5 and A6x are dual core processors that are very high performing for dual core. The Tegra 3 is quad core and is a very good processor as well. Not sure if the Nexus 7 needs that to run Android or not, it could be a very processor-tasking OS.

Back