iPad vs. Nexus 7

I got a Nexu 7 a few weeks ago. The only aviation app I have so far is F-18 Fighters. Fun! If I can pry it from my wife's fingers, I plan on posting here with it someday. I'm saving on downloading the 30 day free Garmin Pilot and Naviator for when I start my training to upgrade to Private, so I can see what works best for me before I buy.

I bought them both -- Naviator "seems" to be a bit smoother, but Pilot seems to have more function and has more updates. Naviator has a record route feature that I really like, though. It's was cool to see my checkride on Google Maps.

I have the x-grip and the iPad slips in bumps or vibration. Not far, but unattended it would eventually fall. I went back to the spring loaded clamp. Even that in significant turbulence might launch your tablet somewhere you don't want it though I haven't experienced that yet. They only recommend the locking one for "high vibration."

Thanks! I went ahead and ordered the X-grip and will try it out on my next flight. You can't go wrong for $55.

On the issue of mounts, I bought this cheapie off Amazon and just got it in today. i was initially concerned that it would not hold the Nexus 7 in portrait, but it grips it pretty tight. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but for about $15.00, it looks pretty good. I refused to pay 60-70 for a simple RAM mount for the Nexus 7.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004M8ST36/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

No, I can read a spec sheet. In every measurable way, the Nexus 7 is superior to the iPad Mini.

While I agree that regular Ipad could be to big, 7 inch is definitely is too small for me. Also at the time I own Android tablet there were few aviation apps available.

I'm really big fun of ForeFlight since Ipad2. I did give a shot for several apps including WingX, Garmin, and others. Foreflight wins my heart every time :lol:

Now I own Ipad 4th generation (along with 2nd and 3rd which I donated to my relatives) :) Despite it's shortcomings I use it for bookkeeping, flight logging/training/planning..I have great apps to show visual examples for my students (VOR tracking, E6B and so on). I even use Aerofly FS to show some maneuvers right on the spot...

Well then, you may note that the N7 is heavier, thicker, lacks a high res camera, and tops out at 50% of the maximum available RAM of the Mini. But maybe those aren't "measurable" on a spec sheet? ;)

Rumors that it had an older GPS chipset were found to be false after the ifixit tear down, it is the same as the iPad.

I don't care, I'm chiefly attached to the iPad because I'm attached to the iOS ecosystem, and because I like Foreflight, but let's not exaggerate. I also REALLY appreciate 64Gb of storage when I'm traveling in areas where access to my media on the cloud is really slow. I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that I wouldn't go back to 32GB.

I've got 16 GB, and after five months of daily use I currently have 9 GB available. It's not like a PC where you store everything on disk.

As for the Nexus 7 camera, I use it all the time for Google+ hangouts. How high res do you need to video conference? (And please don't tell me that you're one of those guys who walks around trying to take real pix with a tablet! :) )

Thicker/heavier!? The Nexus 7 has a satisfying heft to it that certainly isn't heavy. It has never occurred to me that lighter would be better. I mean, we're talking ounces and grams here.

Bottom line: What everyone wants (and cares about) in a tablet is screen resolution, battery life, processor speed, and price. The Nexus 7 blows the Mini iPad away in ALL of those parameters.

Last edited:
Hmm... I didn't realize they were so portable. Which of these would you suggest? The X-grip seems to be the cheapest at Sporty's.

Yep, I've got the X-Grip combined with a yoke (not suction) mount. It works great with the N7.

Last edited:
I've got 16 GB, and after five months of daily use I currently have 9 GB available. It's not like a PC where you store everything on disk.

As for the Nexus 7 camera, I use it all the time for Google+ hangouts. How high res do you need to video conference? (And please don't tell me that you're one of those guys who walks around trying to take real pix with a tablet! :) )

Thicker/heavier!? The Nexus 7 has a satisfying heft to it that certainly isn't heavy. It has never occurred to me that lighter would be better. I mean, we're talking ounces and grams here.

Bottom line: What everyone wants (and cares about) in a tablet is screen resolution, battery life, processor speed, and price. The Nexus 7 blows the Mini iPad away in ALL of those parameters.

That it satisfies all of your personal parameters is much different than exaggerating that it is superior to the mini in every measurable way, which in a number of objective measures isn't true.

The lack of a 64GB model is a deal killer for many. The lack of a high res camera on the back so that parents (as an example) can video their kids then use the tablet to edit the video instead of using their phone or a separate camera, or a rear facing view for Skyping kids to the grandparents would be an annoyance for some. Few have ever complained that a tablet is too thin ;) Satisfying heft? :rofl:

Last edited:

Since I personally don't care about screen resolution or processor speed, I suppose I could say nobody else cares either and be just as correct as you.:rofl:

OTOH, I suppose I could say is what everyone wants (and cares about) is a device that is connected seamlessly to their other devices, has Apps that are vetted and not just posted in a store, and has ForeFlight. The iPad blows away the Nexus 7 in ALL those parameters.:D

I think you like the Nexus 7 and so do I but I don't feel the need to use hyperbole or proselytize.;)

Cheers

X3 Skier said:
I think you like the Nexus 7 and so do I but I don't feel the need to use hyperbole or proselytize.;)

Cheers

I think some feel the need to proselytize the alternatives to balance out all the over-the-top Apple heads. Unfortunately the Apple heads are usually the ones who bring the juice ;)

So, what is the difference between the Nexus 7 and other android tablets that may be 7" that keeps the Nexus 7 as the preference?

David

I have great apps to show visual examples for my students (VOR tracking, E6B and so on). I even use Aerofly FS to show some maneuvers right on the spot...

What apps do you use as a CFI?

David

So, what is the difference between the Nexus 7 and other android tablets that may be 7" that keeps the Nexus 7 as the preference?

David

Probably the GPS, mainly. Some of the others either don't have it or only include it with a 4G version.

Probably the GPS, mainly. Some of the others either don't have it or only include it with a 4G version.

Thanks.

I was just looking at the Samsung Galaxy 2 Tab 7 on Staples website and the spec sheet says it has a GPS. $199

Looks like bloatware may be a difference also.

David

I do like the narrow 16:9 aspect ratio of the 7 and I hope Apple moves that direction with iPads like they did with the iPhone.

That was the biggest reason why I didn't go iPad (plus the price difference). I really wanted to be able to use Foreflight, but since we're already an Android family (four phones and another tablet), getting the N7 was an easy decision when I compared "Apples" to Apple.

Processor speed is nice, but not as relevant on a tab as storage space (IMHO). I'm up to 2GB free on my N7, but I've got a bunch of Garmin Pilot stuff downloaded that I don't need, plus a few King Schools DVDs that I ripped and put on.

Weight/thickness is close enough to be a wash. Camera, ehh.. I have a million cameras, the resolution on the N7 isn't awful enough.

It really came down to price and GPS availability (which are related, since you need the 3G/4G model of iPad to get GPS), along with the 7".

I do say this as a pure Android guy, though -- I REALLY wish I could use Foreflight, and if money wasn't an issue, I'd probably get the iPad just for that.

What apps do you use as a CFI?

David

As for teaching? I think one is called RadioNav. I use it to teach VOR navigation. Another is E6B with actually simulated dials. I used to have one app for airspaces, but it become payware subscription based so I uninstalled it.

Garmin Pilot update for Android. One of the main features is the addition of a panel page.

David

The biggest thing with the Nexus 7 is that it is Google's "pure" version of the tablet, without other manufacturers or carriers adding or changing things.
It s the standard that everyone develops to, and any hardware or software that will work with/on any android device will work on/with the Nexus.

Some versions of android devices have funky software or hardware that creates conflicts, or they get orphaned and no further updates/upgrades come out. The Nexus will be the first to get anything, and if there's a mount/holder/accessory for an android tablet, it will be available for the Nexus.

With all the widgets?
nypusy7e.jpg

Wow...lots of nice little tidbits in this upgrade. Well done, Garmin!

I now have the split screen setup and automatic appearance of the SafeTaxi diagrams. This should be good.

Wow...lots of nice little tidbits in this upgrade. Well done, Garmin!

I now have the split screen setup and automatic appearance of the SafeTaxi diagrams. This should be good.

Can you post this? My picture was from my iPad. I'm looking at the Nexus but I don't want to lose my Garmin features.

Here is what the Garmin SafeTaxi looks like on an iPad in landscape and portrait mode. What does it look like on the Nexus?

uqunenyj.jpg

y5eha5u6.jpg

Woot! Split nav screen, track up, and several other cool tweaks!

Thank you, Garmin! The app is now EVERYTHING Mary and I wanted.

Woot! Split nav screen, track up, and several other cool tweaks!

Thank you, Garmin! The app is now EVERYTHING Mary and I wanted.

You Nexus guys are killing me! Can you post some pictures? Or is that something a Nexus can't do?

I agree, after this last update garmin has finally put almost every feature I wanted into it. Works great and love the configurable split screen.

I agree, after this last update garmin has finally put almost every feature I wanted into it. Works great and love the configurable split screen.

No pictures! I don't believe you :) didn't happen ;)

Happy : )

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-10-00-02-08.png
    Screenshot_2013-01-10-00-02-08.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_2013-01-10-00-01-57.png
    Screenshot_2013-01-10-00-01-57.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_2013-01-10-00-02-16.png
    Screenshot_2013-01-10-00-02-16.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_2013-01-10-00-02-24.png
    Screenshot_2013-01-10-00-02-24.png
    1 MB · Views: 36
Now just give me a little extended runway line love and I'll be a happy camper.

NP, haven't flown with the new update yet but can't wait. Really need to pick up a yoke mount for this thing.

NP, haven't flown with the new update yet but can't wait. Really need to pick up a yoke mount for this thing.

I'm not happy with the full sized iPad. Just too big for my airplane. Thanks for posting the pix. Post an update after your flight.

Back