iPad vs. Nexus 7

The next thing Jay will be talking about is a nice warm coat he knitted for it so it won't get cold...

While Jay is busy fondling his Nexus...

I've looked online for ways to transfer music from iTunes tho the Nexus. I did find a converter app but haven't tried it yet. Anyone have good luck with one option or the other?

I've looked online for ways to transfer music from iTunes tho the Nexus. I did find a converter app but haven't tried it yet. Anyone have good luck with one option or the other?

I'm using 'iSyncr', for my android devices, seems to work well for what I do.
One component installs on the iTunes computer and one on the Android.

There's a google music app that lets you upload 20,000 songs, and it has a sync utility that runs on your iTunes PC and will keep the google library in sync with your iTunes - playlists and all.

I uploaded my entire music library to Google Music's Cloud, making it accessible on any of my mobile devices, anywhere.

No more iTunes -- another Apple apron string cut. It's a brave, new world. :)

Bought a couple of 16G Nexus 7's for my grown daughters for Christmas. They love them and refuse to share with their kids.

Unfortunately, one of them bricked yesterday and it is currently impossible to get a replacement from anyone including Staples where they just refunded the purchase price. Said they might get more in later this week. :(

Cheers

Bought a couple of 16G Nexus 7's for my grown daughters for Christmas. They love them and refuse to share with their kids.

Unfortunately, one of them bricked yesterday and it is currently impossible to get a replacement from anyone including Staples where they just refunded the purchase price. Said they might get more in later this week. :(

Cheers

There are a number of possible fixes for bricked Nexus 7s. See the forums at Android Central for suggestions -- there is some fancy button mashing involved.

I thought I bricked mine once because (unbeknownst to me, at the time) if you run the battery down far enough it won't start -- even when plugged in. I left it on the charger overnight and all was well again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Go to the Google on the web,... click on Play, and then the Play Site opens up. Then when you click on Music you can get the Google Music Manager. Download this to your computer. When you open this, you can select by song, by playlist, etc from Itunes and it will upload those to your Google Play Music Cloud.

I created a playlist in iTunes with the music I wanted on there so I don't have my kids stuff linking in, and just synced my playlist to the google cloud. Works great. I can stream it at work on my PC, I can play it on my Nexus,... super easy.

There are a number of possible fixes for bricked Nexus 7s. See the forums at Android Central for suggestions -- there is some fancy button mashing involved.

I thought I bricked mine once because (unbeknownst to me, at the time) if you run the battery down far enough it won't start -- even when plugged in. I left it on the charger overnight and all was well again.

The other one had the symptom you mentioned and responded to the charging voodoo. The Bricked one is definitely kaput and on the way back to Asus via Staples.

Cheers

Go to the Google on the web,... click on Play, and then the Play Site opens up. Then when you click on Music you can get the Google Music Manager. Download this to your computer. When you open this, you can select by song, by playlist, etc from Itunes and it will upload those to your Google Play Music Cloud.

I created a playlist in iTunes with the music I wanted on there so I don't have my kids stuff linking in, and just synced my playlist to the google cloud. Works great. I can stream it at work on my PC, I can play it on my Nexus,... super easy.

This puts it all on the web so I can access it as long as I have a WiFi connection? How about when outside of WiFi range? For that, I need to have the files physically on the Nexus, don't I? I do have a lot of stuff on the PC hard drive, but it's all inside an iTunes library. That's what I thought I would have to copy.

Matthew, once the music is up on google, you can open it on your Nexus in the music app, and then you can select to keep it on the Nexus, by song//album/playlist. You'll see a thumbtack icon named "Keep on device" when you select a playlist, song or an album. That will copy the music down and you can listen to it without the wifi.

And I believe that if you sync a playlist from iTunes to Google, mark it for being stored on the Nexus, and then add a new song to the playlist, that song will automatically be copied to the Nexus at the next sync.

Matthew, once the music is up on google, you can open it on your Nexus in the music app, and then you can select to keep it on the Nexus, by song//album/playlist. You'll see a thumbtack icon named "Keep on device" when you select a playlist, song or an album. That will copy the music down and you can listen to it without the wifi.

And I believe that if you sync a playlist from iTunes to Google, mark it for being stored on the Nexus, and then add a new song to the playlist, that song will automatically be copied to the Nexus at the next sync.

I think I'll give it a try. I did look into the app earlier today. Even though it's free, it still wanted a CC number - that's when I quit.

It does... I go into iTunes periodically to select new podcasts, and they show up in Google Music without me doing anything else.

I think I'll give it a try. I did look into the app earlier today. Even though it's free, it still wanted a CC number - that's when I quit.

Google Play asked for a credit card number?

Ok, here you go:

Google > Play > My Music >

"Welcome to music on Google Play"

"Agree to TOS and privacy" >

"blah, blah, blah..."

Setup an account >

"Setup Google Wallet: enter credit card info..."

Ok, here you go:

Google > Play > My Music >

"Welcome to music on Google Play"

"Agree to TOS and privacy" >

"blah, blah, blah..."

Setup an account >

"Setup Google Wallet: enter credit card info..."

Google Wallet is something completely different -- It basically lets you use your phone/tablet to buy stuff at McDonald's, CVS, etc. using NFC.

But I can't get past it to set up Google play unless I enter a card number.

They ask you to set up google wallet in case you want to buy stuff from the play store... but I'm not sure why it's asking for that. If you sign on to google, then go to Play, then just go to "My Music", does it still take you through the Wallet path?.

Hmm I set up my daughter's Nexus without a card, though I did redeem a Google gift card. That may be an option for you.

Since the original topic of this thread was iPad versus Nexus and I'm too lazy to read all 44 pages, can someone who has flown with both an iPad and Nexus answer this question?

Is the Nexus screen as readable, less readable or more readable in flight than on the iPad?

Since the original topic of this thread was iPad versus Nexus and I'm too lazy to read all 44 pages, can someone who has flown with both an iPad and Nexus answer this question?

Is the Nexus screen as readable, less readable or more readable in flight than on the iPad?

It is as good, or slightly better than a Mini or iPad2.

Same here. If google demands a credit card to use Google Play, I'm out.

Cheers

If you think you'll ever want to buy something on Google Play, just get a prepaid credit card and put that in your Google Wallet account. Problem solved. As easy as picking up a MoneyCard at Walmart and putting a small amount on it.

https://www.walmartmoneycard.com/walmart

IMHO the Nexus 7 is more readable, but I had the original iPad, so YMMV.

What makes it more useful is the 7" form factor that Apple copied in their MiniPad. This allows it to be yoke-mounted without blocking any instruments.

Same here. If google demands a credit card to use Google Play, I'm out.

Cheers
I set my Nexus up on Google play using Google gift cards. Whenever I need to add more I just put more money on the gift card and re-enter the card number.
Works fine, lasts a long time.

Glenn

Not so much fun in the cockpit today. The wife and I were 15 minutes out of DXR in the Tecnam when we discovered the cabin heat didn't work. The cable was stuck. Wouldn't go in, wouldn't come out. It was really cold, and the Tecnam leaks so much air from outside you might as well be in an open cockpit. It's so cold you can see your breath when you talk.
Oh, right. This is about the Nexus 7. We were going to go sightseeing from Peekskill up to the Ashokan Reservoir then back to DXR.
So we fly west following the Nexus\Navigator combo for 35 minutes for what should be a 20 minute flight. I'm doing my thing, it's doing it's thing. We get over to the Hudson River, then hang a turn to starboard and head up the river towards POU. the turbulance was grim in the area of the Bear Mountain Bridge. My wife announces, "This is not fun, now" so I slide East and up and find some smoother air. As we get within 10 miles of POU, the numbers on the Navigator are telling me, "Go home, son. You aren't going to make it to Ashokan and still get this plane back on time." Due to 20-40 kt headwinds our trip is taking way longer than I planned. So I make another turn to starboard and the Navigator map disappears. Just blank. The wife pushes some bottons, etc. and nothing. Then Nexus announces "Navigatior is not working" and then, 30 seconds later it announces, nothing. It just goes black. "Oh crap" says I in my best Chuck Yeager drawl. "Put it away and turn on the aircraft GPS." (Another clue in the chain of mistakes going all the way back to getting out of bed) So I'm flying while my wife is button pushing and she says "Oh crap" in her best Amelia Earhart voice. The aircraft GPS, won't power up.
Did I mention it was cold? It's so cold, the electronics in the plane are all getting whonky. We've been in the plane 45 minutes and my wife's water bottle is almost frozen solid. My FREEZER won't freeze a water bottle that fast.
Any place else, and I would be on the radio asking for directions, because I was so busy playing with the Nexus I wasn't logging checkpoints, etc, etc, (there is no VOR or anything else in this plane). Not a problem.
In this part of the northeast, if you can't find DXR, you really, really need to find another way to throw away your money. All you need to do is turn in the general direction of Connecticut and find Candlewood Lake. Follow that south to DXR. We're saved! We're saved!
Grease it in, despite a cross wind that is higher than my average ground speed.
The next victim, I mean budding young airman, is inside, warm and toasty with the CFI, anxiously awaiting his opportunity to single handedly save the economy, one flight, and one flight instructor at a time.
I tell them them our tale of woe, while I settle up with the lovely lady behind the counter and everyone scoffs at our travel story. Of course they do, we're PILOTS. We scoff at everything.
But, as my wife and I are walking out to the car, which btw, has a working heater, we can't help but notice: Not only are they pre-heating the engine, again, they have another pre-heater inside the cockpit. I wonder what that could have been all about?

Moral:
Make sure EVERYTHING is working before you taxi out.
Electronics really dislike the cold as much as they dislike the heat, so beware.

Glenn

Last edited:
If you think you'll ever want to buy something on Google Play, just get a prepaid credit card and put that in your Google Wallet account. Problem solved. As easy as picking up a MoneyCard at Walmart and putting a small amount on it.

https://www.walmartmoneycard.com/walmart

Much easier to me to use a Google Gift card to add funds when required. No CC number required anywhere. If they close that avenue, goodbye.;)

Edit: like Shepard said.

Cheers

Last edited:
Not so much fun in the cockpit today. The wife and I were 15 minutes out of DXR in the Tecnam when we discovered the cabin heat didn't work. The cable was stuck. Wouldn't go in, wouldn't come out. It was really cold, and the Tecnam leaks so much air from outside you might as well be in an open cockpit. It's so cold you can see your breath when you talk.
Oh, right. This is about the Nexus 7. We were going to go sightseeing from Peekskill up to the Ashokan Reservoir then back to DXR.
So we fly west following the Nexus\Navigator combo for 35 minutes for what should be a 20 minute flight. I'm doing my thing, it's doing it's thing. We get over to the Hudson River, then hang a turn to starboard and head up the river towards POU. the turbulance was grim in the area of the Bear Mountain Bridge. My wife announces, "This is not fun, now" so I slide East and up and find some smoother air. As we get within 10 miles of POU, the numbers on the Navigator are telling me, "Go home, son. You aren't going to make it to Ashokan and still get this plane back on time." Due to 20-40 kt headwinds our trip is taking way longer than I planned. So I make another turn to starboard and the Navigator map disappears. Just blank. The wife pushes some bottons, etc. and nothing. Then Nexus announces "Navigatior is not working" and then, 30 seconds later it announces, nothing. It just goes black. "Oh crap" says I in my best Chuck Yeager drawl. "Put it away and turn on the aircraft GPS." (Another clue in the chain of mistakes going all the way back to getting out of bed) So I'm flying while my wife is button pushing and she says "Oh crap" in her best Amelia Earhart voice. The aircraft GPS, won't power up.
Did I mention it was cold? It's so cold, the electronics in the plane are all getting whonky. We've been in the plane 45 minutes and my wife's water bottle is almost frozen solid. My FREEZER won't freeze a water bottle that fast.
Any place else, and I would be on the radio asking for directions, because I was so busy playing with the Nexus I wasn't logging checkpoints, etc, etc, (there is no VOR or anything else in this plane). Not a problem.
In this part of the northeast, if you can't find DXR, you really, really need to find another way to throw away your money. All you need to do is turn in the general direction of Connecticut and find Candlewood Lake. Follow that south to DXR. We're saved! We're saved!
Grease it in, despite a cross wind that is higher than my average ground speed.
The next victim, I mean budding young airman, is inside, warm and toasty with the CFI, anxiously awaiting his opportunity to single handedly save the economy, one flight, and one flight instructor at a time.
I tell them them our tale of woe, while I settle up with the lovely lady behind the counter and everyone scoffs at our travel story. Of course they do, we're PILOTS. We scoff at everything.
But, as my wife and I are walking out to the car, which btw, has a working heater, we can't help but notice: Not only are they pre-heating the engine, again, they have another pre-heater inside the cockpit. I wonder what that could have been all about?

Moral:
Make sure EVERYTHING is working before you taxi out.
Electronics really dislike the cold as much as they dislike the heat, so beware.

Glenn

Great story, Glenn! :D

I do not miss extreme cold weather flying at all. Our old Ercoupe had a heater that would melt the snow off your (frozen) feet, eventually, but we mostly only flew when the sun was shining, just so we could eke out a few BTUs of solar warmth. If it was cloudy we took Atlas.

So was the battery dead on the N7? Or some other glitch?

Great story, Glenn! :D

I do not miss extreme cold weather flying at all. Our old Ercoupe had a heater that would melt the snow off your (frozen) feet, eventually, but we mostly only flew when the sun was shining, just so we could eke out a few BTUs of solar warmth. If it was cloudy we took Atlas.

So was the battery dead on the N7? Or some other glitch?

Just the extreme cold.
It was working fine when I got it home. I put it in the freezer and it turned itself off in an hour (ish).
Flying a 152 today with good cabin heat. I'll test it again in the air.

Glenn

Just the extreme cold.
It was working fine when I got it home. I put it in the freezer and it turned itself off in an hour (ish).
Flying a 152 today with good cabin heat. I'll test it again in the air.

Glenn

What are the operating specs on it? I'm sure it got somewhere below 32 in the plane, but I am now curious if there is a difference between the iPad and Nexus.

What are the operating specs on it? I'm sure it got somewhere below 32 in the plane, but I am now curious if there is a difference between the iPad and Nexus.

According to this:

Code:
Operating temperature	
41º to 104º F (5º to 40º C)

It was in the -15 F range in the plane yesterday.
Today in a nice warm C-150 it worked just fine.
My only real complaint is that it's very touchy\feelie sensitive. I need to see if there's a way to tone down the screen sensitivity for that particular app, or the entire unit if need be, while flying.

Glenn

Back