iPad vs. Nexus 7

I often wonder why Foreflight refuses to make an Android version. With Android the most popular mobile OS in the world, it's only a matter of time before they become the dominant tablet.

Seems pretty short-sighted. :dunno:

In the meantime, Garmin Pilot works great. :)

Which Android version should they build to? That's the problem with Android, too many versions and not everything works on every version as I have found with my droid phone.

I'm holding off for a Win8 device, I think WingX sent me some news the other day about that direction, likely Foreflight will go there as well. I gues I'll lab rat that one and report.

What I have read is ForeFlight feels there are too many quirks to Android in its many versions. Since it is an open system, what works on one device may or may not work on another. ForeFlight on Android 4.2 on an Asus device like the Nexus 7 might not work on a Samsung Galaxy II or III with their slightly different 4.2 implementations. Apple OTOH maintains consistency across devices making it easier to develop apps for universal use across Apple platforms. Since ForeFlight is a relatively small outfit, it seems they don't want to chase Android variations. Fielding complaints as to why FF works on my Nexus 7 but not on my Samsung, Sony or whatever might not be something they want to deal with. Garmin, OTOH probably has the resources to handle various Androids

FF may be forced into adapting to Android eventually but since they seem to be doing OK tied to Apple, it may take a while.

That said, you pays your money and you takes your choice. Nexus, Kindle, Nook are all excellent devices as are Apple iThingys. I have some of each for various purposes and find Apple the best all around but the others are fine as well. I am willing to pay the premium today but YMMV.

Cheers

I think you nailed it. Perhaps, with time, the Android world can get a bit more consistent while ForeFlight gets bigger and we'll have the option of which hardware platform to use.

In the meantime, Garmin Pilot works great. :)

It's just such a clumsy user interface. You can't get there from here without stumbling through their menu. FF really nailed it with the always-available menu to directly access the area of the program you want.

GP is usable...but definitely not great. :no:

Last edited:
I think you nailed it. Perhaps, with time, the Android world can get a bit more consistent while ForeFlight gets bigger and we'll have the option of which hardware platform to use.

Maybe the latter but I doubt the former. An Open Systen is great since it can be modified by anybody to do anything which then makes it terrible for consistency.

Cheers

Maybe the latter but I doubt the former. An Open Systen is great since it can be modified by anybody to do anything which then makes it terrible for consistency.

Cheers

While true, it's in the best interest of the platform to have at least a baseline of consistency in order to induce software developers to write for it. If it becomes an exercise in futility writing for it, they'll stop and it will die.

It's just such a clumsy user interface. You can't get there from here without stumbling through their menu. FF really it with the always-available menu to directly access the area of the program you want.

Did they use the 430/530 menu architecture, the 650/750 architecture or something altogether different?

Did they use the 430/530 menu architecture, the 650/750 architecture or something altogether different?

Neither that I can discern. Garmin bought the product and the company that developed it, so there was no relationship between the software engineers for the avionics and the GP team.

My favorite app on Android has been Anywhere Map Freedom, but the latest OS update for the Nexus 7 prevents the app from even opening, and while CV has acknowledged the problem, they can't do anything about it (the issue apparently needs to be resolved by the software company that created their development platform). It has been several months since I could use the app that I paid for.

Because of this I have made the move to Garmin Pilot. I like the fluidity of the interface, but I miss the layout options that Anywhere Map afforded. I find that it takes too many button clicks to get to information that should be more easily accessible. In particular I'd really like to have a map view showing TFRs, NEXRAD, METARS, obstacles, airports and airspace. Anywhere Map did this well and I really miss it.

I have Naviator installed as well, and keep it up to date, mainly just to support the developer. He has always been responsive and adds some nice features, like Zaon integration and ADS-B support, but the interface is sluggish and I just don't like it as much as I enjoyed using Anywhere Map.

Let me acknowledge that I don't need any of this stuff, but I just personally enjoy technology, so it's neat and fun for me to mess around with them. I'm close to giving in and buying an iPad mini, but I keep hoping Anywhere Map will resolve their issues and come out with support for ADS-B, but it's looking like this isn't very likely.

Hi jay,
We are considering surveillance cameras. Which ones did you install?
Thanks
Lynn

I installed an 8-camera Night Owl DVR system. The cameras that come with the set are a bit too zoomed for some applications (our pool area, for example), so I replaced a couple of them with wide angle ones.

The system has been live since last May. It's been flawless, so far.

It's just such a clumsy user interface. You can't get there from here without stumbling through their menu. FF really nailed it with the always-available menu to directly access the area of the program you want.

Um, I don't understand. With Garmin Pilot I enter my flight plan and switch to the map page. Done.

Is there something else you would need/want to do?

My favorite app on Android has been Anywhere Map Freedom, but the latest OS update for the Nexus 7 prevents the app from even opening, and while CV has acknowledged the problem, they can't do anything about it (the issue apparently needs to be resolved by the software company that created their development platform). It has been several months since I could use the app that I paid for.

Because of this I have made the move to Garmin Pilot. I like the fluidity of the interface, but I miss the layout options that Anywhere Map afforded. I find that it takes too many button clicks to get to information that should be more easily accessible. In particular I'd really like to have a map view showing TFRs, NEXRAD, METARS, obstacles, airports and airspace. Anywhere Map did this well and I really miss it.

I have Naviator installed as well, and keep it up to date, mainly just to support the developer. He has always been responsive and adds some nice features, like Zaon integration and ADS-B support, but the interface is sluggish and I just don't like it as much as I enjoyed using Anywhere Map.

Let me acknowledge that I don't need any of this stuff, but I just personally enjoy technology, so it's neat and fun for me to mess around with them. I'm close to giving in and buying an iPad mini, but I keep hoping Anywhere Map will resolve their issues and come out with support for ADS-B, but it's looking like this isn't very likely.

Ugh, that's terrible. I don't who is worse off -- you, or the developer.

This has happened to me too many times over the years. It's one of the downsides of living in rapidly progressing technological times.

It's even worse when, as Lowrance pulled with the aviation market, your proprietary hardware AND software become unsupported/non-functional. That really ****ed me off.

Um, I don't understand. With Garmin Pilot I enter my flight plan and switch to the map page. Done.

Is there something else you would need/want to do?

Yes! Much more. I use it every day for instructing and move between the various features regularly while instructing. I use it. I just don't like it as well as as FF. from a design standpoint, I give FF a 10, GP a 3.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone, for which I bought a Naviator subscription 6 months ago. My understanding is that it will transfer to a second Android device if I get one.

So, I'm seriously considering buying myself a Nexus 7. Those of you who stay up on Android, is it too late in the product cycle to spend money on a 7? I prefer Google devices (like the Nexus line). Should I wait until the next model of Google tablets comes out?

I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone, for which I bought a Naviator subscription 6 months ago. My understanding is that it will transfer to a second Android device if I get one.

So, I'm seriously considering buying myself a Nexus 7. Those of you who stay up on Android, is it too late in the product cycle to spend money on a 7? I prefer Google devices (like the Nexus line). Should I wait until the next model of Google tablets comes out?

Nah, the 32G just came out. There won't be major changes for a few months.

Your timing is right. The 32 GB version is out, price is down, and the bazillion apps that didn't work on the 7" tablet have all been updated to display properly.

Best of all -- Asus is FINALLY introducing a charging cradle that uses the four pogo pins on the side of the unit. Watch for it in the next week.

Yes! Much more. I use it every day for instructing and move between the various features regularly while instructing. I use it. I just don't like it as well as as FF. from a design standpoint, I give FF a 10, GP a 3.

Well, the ADS-B weather is always overlaid on the map. If you want to view an airport's METAR/TAF you just long-touch.

If you want to see winds aloft, or traffic, you touch another button. I'm not seeing any clunkiness here, but perhaps you use the other stuff that I don't?

My main concern has been freezes.

I have both full versions of Garmin Pilot and ForeFlight on my iPad. The Garmin Pilot follows the same structure as the GTN series in my plane. There are a few things missing or done differently, but essentially there is a touch screen menu for the map, active flight plan and trip planning. Some of the features on the GTN are not on the Pilot (like utilities). And there is a scratch pad on the Pilot and not on the GTN.

I bought both because I wasn't convinced I liked any of them enough to invest in the ADS-B antennae without really using them a lot. I did try Wing-x on the 30 day as well. And considering the cost, it was still cheaper than my old Jepp paper subscriptions. None of them are perfect. Each has their own GUI and depending on your personal tastes, you will love, hate or be neutral on them.

I have boiled down my MAJOR differences that for me are notable:

1. ForeFlight has a nice routing feature. It will show you preferred routes and wind at altitudes. Garmin does not do auto route calculations.
2. Garmin has a nice split screen feature that on an iPad 2 or 3 size screen does a nice job of showing you additional information either as widgets or different screens. There is a pull bar that can show you weather at airports reporting along your route. On the ForeFlight you need to go to the airport page or long hold on the map to get the METARs. You can also show your approach plate on the map page. With ForeFlight you need to go to the plates page.
3. ForeFlight allows you to print out your charts. Garmin at this point doesn't.
4. Once you create your flight plan on the Garmin, it pulls all of the SIDs, STARs and charts into a departure and destination binder. Nice feature.

As you can see, I could go back and forth all day on each app. The old cliche stills holds true "Which one is best for me? The one you use".

This has all the markings of another LOP and ROP discussion, doesn't it?

Last edited:
Sorry, late to this thread. Am I correct foreflight will not run on a Nexus 7? Are there plans? If not what does run for my charting needs?

I bought my kid a Nexus 7 for Christmas. I'm an iPad / foreflight user. I fell in love with my kids Nexus 7 just setting it up for him. Is it possible to switch over?

I have both full versions of Garmin Pilot and ForeFlight on my iPad. The Garmin Pilot follows the same structure as the GTN series in my plane. There are a few things missing or done differently, but essentially there is a touch screen menu for the map, active flight plan and trip planning. Some of the features on the GTN are not on the Pilot (like utilities). And there is a scratch pad on the Pilot and not on the GTN.

I bought both because I wasn't convinced I liked any of them enough to invest in the ADS-B antennae without really using them a lot. I did try Wing-x on the 30 day as well. And considering the cost, it was still cheaper than my old Jepp paper subscriptions. None of them are perfect. Each has their own GUI and depending on your personal tastes, you will love, hate or be neutral on them.

I have boiled down my MAJOR differences that for me are notable:

1. ForeFlight has a nice routing feature. It will show you preferred routes and wind at altitudes. Garmin does not do auto route calculations.
2. Garmin has a nice split screen feature that on an iPad 2 or 3 size screen does a nice job of showing you additional information either as widgets or different screens. There is a pull bar that can show you weather at airports reporting along your route. On the ForeFlight you need to go to the airport page or long hold on the map to get the METARs. You can also show your approach plate on the map page. With ForeFlight you need to go to the plates page.
3. ForeFlight allows you to print out your charts. Garmin at this point doesn't.
4. Once you create your flight plan on the Garmin, it pulls all of the SIDs, STARs and charts into a departure and destination binder. Nice feature.

As you can see, I could go back and forth all day on each app. The old cliche stills holds true "Which one is best for me? The one you use".

This has all the markings of another LOP and ROP discussion, doesn't it?

LOL, thanks. So, if I'm using Garmin Pilot, when I swap to a GTN 750, will I recognize/be familiar with the 'buttonology'?

I have WingX and am happy with it, especially the SVT-Map dual screen ability.

LOL, thanks. So, if I'm using Garmin Pilot, when I swap to a GTN 750, will I recognize/be familiar with the 'buttonology'?

For the flight planning stuff, it will look very similar. Because the GTN is a true navigator and the Pilot isn't, there are functions that may or not be there. A good example is the approach. You can load it on the GTN, but there is no option to do so on the Garmin Pilot. I'm sure we all know the reason why... BTW -- you can download the GTN trainer stuff at this Garmin site and play with it.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5380

The point of my last post was to just let people know that like everything else out there, it is a matter of preference. Sort of like the same thing I went through when I decided to jump from NOAA to Jepps in the paper days.

Here's the ones I know about/use:
Garmin Pilot
Naviator
Avilution Aviation Maps
Avare
Anywhere Map Freedom (not currently operative on Nexus 7 with latest OS)

Merry Christmas, y'all!
<snip>
- Daily Briefing. Using Google Assistant, I receive a briefing each morning from a woman who sounds just like Kate Beckinsale. She tells me the day, date, what's on my calendar, weather, weather forecast, and the top headlines.
<snip>

Is this Google Now? I couldn't find a Google app called Assistant.

Sorry, late to this thread. Am I correct foreflight will not run on a Nexus 7? Are there plans? If not what does run for my charting needs?

I bought my kid a Nexus 7 for Christmas. I'm an iPad / foreflight user. I fell in love with my kids Nexus 7 just setting it up for him. Is it possible to switch over?

No ForeFlight on the Android OS, thus not on Nexus 7. See previous page;)

Cheers

I ended up returning my nexus 7 because I like wing x pro. When they make a full version for android, I'll buy another nexus 7.

OK - I'm new to this. Nexus 7, how do you view something that requires Flash player?

I was trying to view a video at a website and it said I need Flash but when I tried to install it, I found out it's not supported on this device.

OK - I'm new to this. Nexus 7, how do you view something that requires Flash player?

I was trying to view a video at a website and it said I need Flash but when I tried to install it, I found out it's not supported on this device.

Nope, no Flash. Apple killed Flash -- none of their products play Flash video, either -- and now Google/Android has decided to follow suit. It makes me crazy, but more HTML5 video is hitting the interwebs, so soon it won't matter.

(There are ways to work around the Flash issue, but it involves rooting the Nexus 7.)

Nope, no Flash. Apple killed Flash -- none of their products play Flash video, either -- and now Google/Android has decided to follow suit. It makes me crazy, but more HTML5 video is hitting the interwebs, so soon it won't matter.

(There are ways to work around the Flash issue, but it involves rooting the Nexus 7.)

Actually, Adobe killed Flash for mobile devices, not Google or Android.

Adding Flash support doesn't require root, either. The APKs are out there, you just have to install them (and install a browser that uses add-ons, like Firefox).

Just finished installing Garmin pilot. I'm going to try to get some flying in this week and check it out.

Couldn't sleep. Here are screen shots from both the Garmin app and the GTN 650 for the "buttonolgy". They are similar but also different.

bu4ymyze.jpg

umy7ytuh.jpg

Actually, Adobe killed Flash for mobile devices, not Google or Android.

Adding Flash support doesn't require root, either. The APKs are out there, you just have to install them (and install a browser that uses add-ons, like Firefox).

Well, more precisely, Steve Jobs announced that Flash was dead, and didn't include support for it in the iPad, iPhone, etc. Once that happened, Google followed suit with later versions of Android OS.

IMHO it became a self-fulfilling prophecy, and now Flash really IS dead -- except for all those thousands of websites that still use it because it works just fine. :rolleyes:

Back