iPad v. iPad mini for flight?

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
It seems that my ADSB-IN supplier in connivance with Foreflight won't let me use my trusty old iPad 1 for IN. It needs to be either a 2 (or newer) or a mini, my choice.

Yes, I know the iPad has a larger screen and is easier to read. On the other hand, the mini will fit on my 182 control yoke and not block my instrument panel as badly.

Does anybody with real world experience with either or both have an opinion on ease of use?

Thanks,

Jim

I upgraded my I pad to an iPad four when they stopped supporting the 1.i chose the larger one ,because of my tired old eyes. My I pad has a spot that doesn’t interfere with any of the major instruments. Just my personal choice.

iPad Mini 4 for me. Fits perfectly on a yoke mount.

I have both a mini and a full size. The mini I mount on the yoke and the full size I'll give to a passenger and it doubles as my back up. But mini all the way on my cherokee.

Jim,

I have a mini on my knee and a bigger one (10.5) mounted on the right side of my panel

Dean

I've been using mini and will for the foreseeable future. It fits on the yolk of my Mooney and doesn't obscure any instruments, just the way I want it.

Been using minis for 4 years, they rest on my lap well and are the idea size IMO

I have used a 1, a 2 and a Mini. I really like the Mini but had no problem with the full-sized ones.

If I was buying now, I'd probably get a full-size since the Mini is now relatively old (as these things go).

Just don't update it and it'll stay plenty fast and stable
The problem isn't iOS updates. It's newer app features that requires them. I'm not sure I'd want to stay with an unupdated 1st gen iPad running an unsupported ForeFlight version 4, even if it was fast and stable (which it would be)

Foreflight support sucks anyways, basically unless there is a new feature you want I don't see the appeal in upgrading.

It's sad that foreflight forces you to downgrade your iOS to keep their app up to date.

I like the full size ipad because it is easier to read, especially if there is any turbulence, in which case, trying to pinch the image larger or smaller is almost impossible.
My wife likes the mini because her eyes are better than mine, and because it fits her yoke mount.

It really is a personal choice.

I have the mini on the pilots yoke and just bought a 9.7 for the copilot yoke so my wife can use it while we fly. Panel update.jpg

IPad pro 10.5 with Foreflight, sits nice in my lap for now. Every time I use it I like it more.

I had Ipad 2 until last year, finally went with mini 4. I yoke mount (ram mount) vertically in Cessna 172 and Piper Arrow I for approach plates. My mother in law let me try hers to see if I could handle the decrease in size. I think it comes down to vision and room to mount. I’ve adjusted ok to the mini.

Last edited:
I have a full 9.7 inch pro, and I fly an Archer and I regret buying the full size everyday. One of these days I am going to break down and buy a mini

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The mini is the way to go.

Foreflight support sucks anyways, basically unless there is a new feature you want I don't see the appeal in upgrading.
Interesting. I've always found ForeFlight to have well above par support. If they didn't I probably would stop subscribing and move to one of my other EFB apps.

I still have the mini 1. It works perfect for Wing X. I don't see any reason to upgrade.

The mini is the way to go.
Until you can't get them anymore...then your only choice will be an android for the form factor. That's fine for Garmin Pilot, which supports both platforms, but if you're a foreflight use, then you'll be stuck with the full-sized unit, which is too big for the pilot yoke.

Ipad Air in a Mooney.
d2b097cfd62131c11fa421770d9583d9.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

As a general observation...

One key to the perceived “size” of a tablet is the distance from your eyes. The closer you can get it, the “larger” it appears.

I mention that because, I have recently taken to using my iPhone as my primary nav device. With a long RAM arm and a suction cup mount it’s very close to my eyes and perfectly usable.

38529655302_f727d7791e_z.jpg

The photo is of an iPhone 6+ in my Sky Arrow. I now have an iPhone X, but the screen size is comparable. There’s talk that Apple may soon be announcing an “X+” with an even larger screen.

Anyway, worth considering as a workable option.

And let me close with my usual warning - be very cautious about a tablet sitting unsecured on your lap or elsewhere. The right “air pocket” can have it fly up and at the very least be distracting, and at worst break or jam something. A strip of Velcro and some elastic might be all it needs to hold it down more securely.

The last iPad mini was released in 2015, IIRC, and sadly there is no indication they'll be updated. I currently fly with a Mini 2 that I'm leaving on iOS 10, but I'd sure like to have a newer one.

That said, I get it - Since I got a larger iPhone (6S and now X), I just don't use the iPad nearly as much as I used to. I pretty much only use it for flying. I think ForeFlight gets the need to have a small-ish screen and that the phones have gotten bigger, which is why they recently released a version where the iPhone depiction is much closer to the iPad one.

Were I to buy an iPad right now, I'd probably get the smallest non-mini I could, and maybe use it horizontally. I did use a full-size iPad "1" in a 182 without blocking anything important, though.

Until you can't get them anymore...then your only choice will be an android for the form factor. That's fine for Garmin Pilot, which supports both platforms, but if you're a foreflight use, then you'll be stuck with the full-sized unit, which is too big for the pilot yoke.
Honestly never had a problem with the full-size the 5 years I used one. This is an iPad 3 in a Mooney. I also used it in Warriors, 172s and the odd Bonanza.

MooneyIpad.PNG

I got an Ipad Pro this year [9.7"]. Its too damn big. Apple has basically discontinued the Mini - and has zero announced plans to upgrade it - so eventually - a couple years - FF will make the program too resource intensive for the Mini to easily handle - this forcing everyone to use either a phone or the too big main size ipad.

FF and Appareo better get with the program and design itself a medium sized tablet that will run its software - because if I'm forced to stop using my Mini I'll prob get a mid size Android tablet and switch over to another provider . . . I simply cannot fly with that huge tablet sitting on my yoke - and I'm not wasting time finding a different mount system.

mini 3 here mounted on the yoke. I still have my iPad1, it no longer updates with Foreflight. :(

ipad mount.JPG

I use an iPad Air 2 and hang it on the yoke. I admit to having a little “mini envy” for a while when I was having to strap it to my leg or sit it on the seat next to me; however, once I mounted it to the yoke, I liked it MUCH better. With my Stratus and a power cord to the cig lighter, I think it’s perfect. I have 2 ADI’s but I’d probably be more comfortable with the split screen ADI on synth vision and map vs having to lean over and use the spare ADI in IMC. I’ll look for a pic of it in my Twinkie...

This topic seems pretty well covered, but I'll add...these are somewhat subjective, compromise decisions.

I was an early adopter of the iPad "mini." It seemed like a perfect fit for my little (mini) airplane- a Grumman AA1. And it did fit the yoke nicely with a RAM mount.

But the screen was just a bit too small for my aging eyes. And as an earlier poster noted- in turbulence, trying to resize the screen was frustrating. So I recently bought the iPad pro 10.5" model.

The new "Pro" model is much faster, with a fantastic screen. Those are real plusses. But it is BIG! I hate looking down at charts, etc. on my lap, so I may mount it on the co-pilot's yoke, at a roughly 45 degree angle facing the pilot. I'll may the mini on the pilot's yoke.

In any case, it's a choice that doesn't have a clear answer. The quality of your vision, the size of your cockpit might influence your decision.

Peter

I had a Mini 2, but I wanted to upgrade, so I went to the iPad Pro 10.5, I never did find a good way to mount it in the Mooney, mostly it sat on my right leg or on the passenger seat with my kneeboard on the left(left handed, write with my left).

I have a 12" ipad pro on the seat rail mount, and an ipad mini 4 (Samsung in pic but have updated) on the yoke.

Attachments

• 20180120_130919.jpg
    20180120_130919.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 94
Blame Apple, not your app/avionics provider. Apple makes it near impossible for developers to support older iOS release and they stop supporting the later iOS versions on the older hardware.

Back