iPad v. iPad mini for flight?

For flying I would want a mini. Everything else I would want a full sized iPad. Actually, any more all I ever use is my iPhone in the plane. The full sized is too big for a comfortable yoke mount.

Okay, so I am new and starting my PPL training. This thread is very good, thank y'all for the information.

Looks like I am settled on the iPad Mini 4! But something I caught in this thread is that folks are using multiple devices at the same time in the cockpit, and are both on Fore Flight; i.e. an iPad and maybe an iPhone or two iPads. Am I reading this correctly? Is this so you can have multiple functionality of Fore Flight at once?

Brent

Okay, so I am new and starting my PPL training. This thread is very good, thank y'all for the information.

Looks like I am settled on the iPad Mini 4! But something I caught in this thread is that folks are using multiple devices at the same time in the cockpit, and are both on Fore Flight; i.e. an iPad and maybe an iPhone or two iPads. Am I reading this correctly? Is this so you can have multiple functionality of Fore Flight at once?

Brent

Some will say for backup. Which is partly true: it covers simple hardware failures and battery loss, as long as the issue isn't the Foreflight software or iOS itself. If you really want redundancy, get a different platform (an Android tablet or phone) with different software for your backup. But then, of course, you need to keep yourself current enough on both to handle a failure.

Brent,

Yes, you can use multiple devices with many platforms (Foreflight, Flyq - Seattle Avionics, etc). I have a 10.5" iPad Pro - on a mount in front of the right seat (my panel is blank there) and I have an iPad Mini on my knee. I use the mounted one for weather, depicts flight plan, and ADS-B. Plus it has AHRS on it so whoever is in the right seat has something to look at. The one on my knee, has my flight plan and traffic - but - it's used to check updates for my destination, alternatives, fuel prices, etc.

Good luck and enjoy getting your Private!

Dean

I have a mini on my yoke and like it for foreflight / approach plates. I also have a pro 9.7 that is panel mounted for running IFD 100 app slaved to munch IFD 550. Love the size and screen brightness / resolution of the 9.7 Pro. I’ve used the 9.7 on my yoke too and it works fine.

Brent,

Yes, you can use multiple devices with many platforms (Foreflight, Flyq - Seattle Avionics, etc). I have a 10.5" iPad Pro - on a mount in front of the right seat (my panel is blank there) and I have an iPad Mini on my knee. I use the mounted one for weather, depicts flight plan, and ADS-B. Plus it has AHRS on it so whoever is in the right seat has something to look at. The one on my knee, has my flight plan and traffic - but - it's used to check updates for my destination, alternatives, fuel prices, etc.

Good luck and enjoy getting your Private!

Dean

That's pretty slick Dean! Seems like a person can run a lot of functionality without having to purchase major expenditures in the way of in dash mounted avionics. I may get flamed for that comment, but certainly gives a person a lot of visibility on many things at a low price, i.e. Fore Flight subscription.

Brent

Brent, you might - but - you're learning and gaining an understanding. When I got back into aviation, I was amazed with the functionality of the tablets. Prior to that, it was drawing lines on charts - and if you were technically savvy - using an Excel spreadsheet to track a list of way points! LOL Enjoy the experience, learn as much as you can.

Dean

Brent, you might - but - you're learning and gaining an understanding. When I got back into aviation, I was amazed with the functionality of the tablets. Prior to that, it was drawing lines on charts - and if you were technically savvy - using an Excel spreadsheet to track a list of way points! LOL Enjoy the experience, learn as much as you can.

Dean
I am quite old school. I love maps and lines. I am 47 now, use to fly with my dad when I was 12 and really enjoyed navigating. This high tech stuff is great, but I believe one should know the basics and how to do it manually. Saw it first hand in the Army, we had cool stuff, but cool stuff breaks, lol. M1 Abrams still have to function when stuff goes down.

@GBSoren, is this easily moveable and set up from plane to plane?

The seat rail mount is one bolt, but on my plane I needed a longer bolt to go thru the bracket and seat rail. The yoke mount would be easy to move.

The seat rail mount is one bolt, but on my plane I needed a longer bolt to go thru the bracket and seat rail. The yoke mount would be easy to move.
looks like that one is designed for Cessna. any Piper flyer out there using the same?

Most know this, I assume, but clamps and Velcro and suction cups and the like are all kosher because they’re temporary in nature.

I think as soon as something is screwed or bolted in place, it needs some form of approval logged. STC or minor alteration.

Right?

looks like that one is designed for Cessna. any Piper flyer out there using the same?

That looks like a Socata. That being the case it seems the rail one would be a generic one.

@GBSoren, I forgot to ask, where did you get rail one?

Personally I use Garmin Pilot, partially because I liked it better, partially because I don't buy into Apple's ecosystem, and partially because I work in computers so I try not to backup a device from vendor X with another device from the same vendor. So my primary is the iPad, backup is my Android Phone, alternate backup is my Android Tablet. (Garmin allows 3 installs on one license, I assume others are similar). All have both Garmin Pilot and FltPlan Go installed.

I did not see if it has been mentioned, but Apple is likely stopping mini production with th mini 4. I am not sure how that will effect long term support. I personally use an iPad 2017 with 128 G and 4G, that I picked up for $100 when ATT was running a promotion.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Finally got around to taking a pic of my Air2 yoke mounted...

There’s about 5” between the bottom of the pad to my thighs and I can always lean it back (lay it flatter) if I need more space.

Attachments

• 9A9D0F8E-F4AB-436E-9197-1F01EE5EC32B.jpeg
    9A9D0F8E-F4AB-436E-9197-1F01EE5EC32B.jpeg
    268.4 KB · Views: 69
I've been using mini and will for the foreseeable future. It fits on the yolk of my Mooney and doesn't obscure any instruments, just the way I want it.

Your Mooney lays eggs? :)

Count me in the mini sized votes Jim, but beware that they’re at least a generation behind in processor and RAM now with no indication that Apple will produce a mini 5. iOS updates will eventually make the mini, even the 4, too slow to not be annoying.

They’re on the edge of that, now.

The newer iPads do run ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot faster, or better stated, more responsive to user input, already.

Because iOS is a bloated pig.

If you do a side by side comparison with a big software app like ForeFlight, the mini shows noticeable user interface lag in comparison to anything newer. It’s not awful... yet.

Apple will make sure it’s awful soon.

If you do a side by side comparison with a big software app like ForeFlight, the mini shows noticeable user interface lag in comparison to anything newer. It’s not awful... yet.

Apple will make sure it’s awful soon.

Yeah, the mini is getting slow, though it is still acceptable in Foreflight. The main lag is booting up, I haven't seen a big lag for anything else yet. Then again, I haven't flown since Thanksgiving, and there's been a system update since. If it gets that bad I'll have to look at someone else's box. I like having my tablet on the yoke.

Yeah, the mini is getting slow, though it is still acceptable in Foreflight. The main lag is booting up, I haven't seen a big lag for anything else yet. Then again, I haven't flown since Thanksgiving, and there's been a system update since. If it gets that bad I'll have to look at someone else's box. I like having my tablet on the yoke.
I had my original and 3d gen full-size iPad on the yoke. Although I really like the Mini, it was no problem.
MooneyIpad.PNG

When the time comes, I'll make a decision whether to continue with an iOS EFB or make a permanent switch to one of the half dozen Android EFBs I'm pretty familiar with.

I had my original and 3d gen full-size iPad on the yoke. Although I really like the Mini, it was no problem.
Mooney's have smaller yokes, and vintage ones have much less panel real estate. if I thought a larger iPad would fit I would definitely go that way.

Mooney's have smaller yokes, and vintage ones have much less panel real estate. if I thought a larger iPad would fit I would definitely go that way.
The 1993 J in the photo is hardly vintage ;) I used that same setup in Cessnas and Pipers also. The key for me was turning the iPad around to landscape to limit the vertical form factor.

@GBSoren, is this easily moveable and set up from plane to plane?
Except....in a one door airplane, such as most Pipers, I don't want to deal with a rail mount in the way of the door. Either in an emergency or any other time.

It seems that my ADSB-IN supplier in connivance with Foreflight won't let me use my trusty old iPad 1 for IN. It needs to be either a 2 (or newer) or a mini, my choice.

Yes, I know the iPad has a larger screen and is easier to read. On the other hand, the mini will fit on my 182 control yoke and not block my instrument panel as badly.

Does anybody with real world experience with either or both have an opinion on ease of use?

Thanks,

Jim
Have you tried/borrowed a normal size iPad and put it on the yoke? Every airplane is a little different, but I used a full size on my 170 yoke and it did not block the panel at all when I was sitting in the seat.

I own both (regular size and mini). They both work just fine for aviation use. I prefer the bigger screen, but some airplanes, there is just no room to mount it, so the mini comes in handy.

The 1993 J in the photo is hardly vintage ;) I used that same setup in Cessnas and Pipers also. The key for me was turning the iPad around to landscape to limit the vertical form factor.

What mount are you using for it?

... or make a permanent switch to one of the half dozen Android EFBs I'm pretty familiar with.

I wish Garmin would support their Android version better. So... out of ALL of them, which would you start with if you had to switch tomorrow?

I'm also a little concerned that the tablet market has kinda died on the Android side of things... sales are weak and a lot of players have dropped out. Samsung is still there, of course, and a couple other well known brands, but then you fall off into "strange stuff from China" pretty rapidly, which is a bummer.

I thought that would be a more robust market, but the folks just looking to do media playback and don't care that it's Android, just that it's cheap, buy the Amazon crippled ones.

I wish Garmin would support their Android version better. So... out of ALL of them, which would you start with if you had to switch tomorrow?
iFly GPS, without question.

It's been my backup for a almost a year. It runs on iOS, Android and Windows, pretty much identical on all three platforms, rock solid and 90% of the features I want for IFR flight. I used to say I'd use my backup periodically to stay current with it, but with iFlyGPS, I actually do it. It looks old and the 10% is a bother, but it is by far the best thing out there in terms of both features and, more importantly, support..

I'm also a little concerned that the tablet market has kinda died on the Android side of things... sales are weak and a lot of players have dropped out. Samsung is still there, of course, and a couple other well known brands, but then you fall off into "strange stuff from China" pretty rapidly, which is a bummer.

I thought that would be a more robust market, but the folks just looking to do media playback and don't care that it's Android, just that it's cheap, buy the Amazon crippled ones.
The downside of Android has always been being "uncontrolled," so buyer beware. But there are still good tablets out there. I'm using a Samsung but ASUS is a good player and there are a few others.

The downside of Android has always been being "uncontrolled," so buyer beware. But there are still good tablets out there. I'm using a Samsung but ASUS is a good player and there are a few others.

Your Samsung have internal GPS or AGPS via cellular chipset like Apple, or are you having to use an external?

It's rather difficult to find those specs on the odd-ball manufacturer websites for these things... you'd think it'd be listed clearly since I assume some people want to use Android tablets for automotive applications and maps... but it seems like the GPS specs are either VERY clear (this thing has GPS, GLONASS and a million other things), or sketchy and hard to decipher without just buying the thing and trying it.

Your Samsung have internal GPS or AGPS via cellular chipset like Apple, or are you having to use an external?

It's rather difficult to find those specs on the odd-ball manufacturer websites for these things... you'd think it'd be listed clearly since I assume some people want to use Android tablets for automotive applications and maps... but it seems like the GPS specs are either VERY clear (this thing has GPS, GLONASS and a million other things), or sketchy and hard to decipher without just buying the thing and trying it.
Internal. No cellular. I suspect there would be the same issues with the internal in an iPad but (a) I haven't seen them when using it by itself and (b) I also use a Stratux which is compatible.

I use the Tab-Tite with a Roto-View plate so I can rotate the tablet easily.

Thanks for the info. Found them at the Ram site.

What yoke mount do you use for that? You said in another post it also works in a Cessna? Just want to confirm. I've been wondering what to use for my iPad Pro 10" in a 172. I haven't used it in a plane yet.

I was excited when I bought my iPad Pro 10.5 with Apple Pen. But I've been struggling with using it as a kneeboard. The yoke always seems to bump it in the pattern.

Even though the iPad Pro is much faster and easier on my aging eyes, I'm seriously thinking about going back to my iPad Mini (possibly yoke mount).

I was excited when I bought my iPad Pro 10.5 with Apple Pen. But I've been struggling with using it as a kneeboard. The yoke always seems to bump it in the pattern.

This was the problem I was having with my 10.5 with a kneeboard. The yoke hits it when I turn right. There's not enough clearance between my leg and the yoke.

Thanks for the info. Found them at the Ram site.

What yoke mount do you use for that? You said in another post it also works in a Cessna? Just want to confirm. I've been wondering what to use for my iPad Pro 10" in a 172. I haven't used it in a plane yet.
Just the standard removable yoke clamp. There are actually two types, plus "the claw." I don't think it really matters which. One thing I did get is an extra, longer, double socket arm to allow for a little more in the way of options.

But here's the thing. Before I settled on what I use, I went through a lot of trials, from knee boards, to suction cups, to no mounting at all. You can go crazy and have a small collection of stuff you don't use. Your best bet is to find someone near you who has what you think you might like and see how your tablet fits in. Even if they have a Mini, you can still get a pretty good idea sitting in your seat and holding your larger tablet over it.

I was excited when I bought my iPad Pro 10.5 with Apple Pen. But I've been struggling with using it as a kneeboard. The yoke always seems to bump it in the pattern...

Is it Velcro’s to your leg? Why not remove it and toss it in the back seat as you’re approaching the pattern? I typically fly with a small knee board but that thing gets tossed in the back once I no longer need it.

Before I settled on what I use, I went through a lot of trials, from knee boards, to suction cups, to no mounting at all. You can go crazy and have a small collection of stuff you don't use..

LOL! Same here. I tried to re-use as much of it as I could in the vehicles.

Mounting the iPhone in the cars for map use is as awesome as mounting the iPad in the cockpit. :)

Anyone want a RAM iPad 1 mount? LOL.

It doesn’t fit ANYTHING modern in their lineup of course and the iPad 1 is long gone. Probably end up in the landfill, unfortunately.

LOL! Same here. I tried to re-use as much of it as I could in the vehicles.

Mounting the iPhone in the cars for map use is as awesome as mounting the iPad in the cockpit. :)

Anyone want a RAM iPad 1 mount? LOL.

It doesn’t fit ANYTHING modern in their lineup of course and the iPad 1 is long gone. Probably end up in the landfill, unfortunately.
I had the form fitting ipad 1 cradle. Got smart and moved to the Tab-Tite, which is less tied to a single size, for the Gen 3 and just picked up the smaller replacement cups for the Mini, which also fits my Android tablet and, in a pinch, my phone. I still have the old cups if I need to move to a larger tablet. The X-Grip should also work that way.

For the phone in the car I went with the MPOW magnetic car mount 2 years ago. I keep a spare in my travel bag for rentals. Fits most but not all of them. Only downside is the metal plate in the back of the phone puts the kibosh on wireless charging.

Back