iPad mounts and kneeboards

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Ok hopefully we won't beat a dead horse like in the Nexus vs.Ipad thread. But need some advice regarding the iPad. I just got a 64gb iPad. Actually I didn't have to decide between the iPad and Nexus as the decision was made for me by our township. Its going to save several feet of paper every year for each of the 5 elected supervisors as well as aid in review of plans and exhibits at public meetings as well as allow for committee meetings remotely if needed via face time.

So anyway since i have one now I may as well use it for aviation I'll decide on foreflight vs. navator or WingX later but the info I'm looking for is what mounts and / or knee boards POAers like for the iPad or does one even need the mounts and kneeboards its it just better to just toss it on the pax seat and pick it up now and then like a chart?

I use a Zagg keyboard/cover and place the iPad vertically on the floor between the seats when I'm not using it. When in use it's in my lap either in the normal "propped open" mode or folded with the screen facing upwards. Unlike some others, I've found that the computer is almost too light and too thin for easy handling and prefer the Zagg accessory that provides a little more weight and heft, as well as a significant amount of protection. YMMV.

Ok hopefully we won't beat a dead horse like in the Nexus vs.Ipad thread. But need some advice regarding the iPad. I just got a 64gb iPad. Actually I didn't have to decide between the iPad and Nexus as the decision was made for me by our township. Its going to save several feet of paper every year for each of the 5 elected supervisors as well as aid in review of plans and exhibits at public meetings as well as allow for committee meetings remotely if needed via face time.

So anyway since i have one now I may as well use it for aviation I'll decide on foreflight vs. navator or WingX later but the info I'm looking for is what mounts and / or knee boards POAers like for the iPad or does one even need the mounts and kneeboards its it just better to just toss it on the pax seat and pick it up now and then like a chart?

So far I've managed OK simply placing my iPad on my old style kneeboard. But since I still wear the Maui Jim polarized sunglasses I bought on Maui about 15 years ago or so, I have to lie the iPad down in landscape mode lest the image vanish in portrait mode. I do need to get something eventually that holds it more firmly for flying in turbulence.

A friend has the Sportys Deluxe iPad Flight desk and really likes it. The styling and construction are pretty good for regular use as a business portfolio.

But this is something like headsets, sunglasses and shoes. There is a lot to select from on this market sector. You just need to find what works for you best.

If you've got room for it, the RAM mount for the yoke is great. That's my preference, but in some aircraft you will have to be creative with different arm lengths and angles. I've also done in the lap on the regular kneeboard, by itself, in a case, out of a case...

The only thing I don't recommend is out of a case on the lap. The back is too slippery and it'll fall off a leg and hit the floor and you'll be scrounging for it.

I don't like kneeboards because I like the seat cranked all the way up in the 182, and kneeboards then get in the way of full aileron deflection. When I've had it up there it has to get moved to the floor for boxing the yoke and until well into the climb, and stowed again for landing. Or it's just in the way.

On the yoke it stays there all the time. Only bad news about a yoke mount is turbulence, and that doesn't bother me as much as an unsecured heavy object wandering from lap to floor and back.

I've also tried the heavy duty suction cup mount from RAM on the inside of the curved part of the windscreen, and that's not a bad option, but it has a tendency to block my ASI without some fussing around and my ship's power cable won't reach from there to the cigar lighter. (Easily fixed, just haven't done or tried it.) Also can't make my aux audio cable to my audio input on the pax side reach that spot either. May play around with it up there some more. It also blocks the forward left view a bit, and that's not great in the pattern. X/C it's not too bad.

I haven't been able to find an ideal solution for using the Ipad in the cockpit....

I purchased several types of RAM Mounts including the yoke mount, the knee pad and the suction cup ( all connected to their excellent "Tab-Tite" cradle ).

http://www.rammount.com/

They all have advantages and disadvantages...our GA cockpits are just too cramped...

The suction mount blocks the outside view, the yoke mount blocks the instrument view and the yoke keeps banging on my Ipad when I use it with the knee pad....

The soon to be released (?) 7" Ipad might solve the problem :)

I also purchased an aviation charger from Pilot Mall ( Aircraft Spruce have them in stock too ) - it's approved for aviation use ( 10v to 25 v with surge protection ) and has an STC...

Keep in mind that you need a 2A charger for the Ipad - your Iphone car charger won't work....

I haven't used my Garmin GPS since I purchased the Ipad :)

Every pilot I've flow with who has an iPad has always had me hold the pad for them. That could be the best and least expensive answer from what folks are posting. I'll be eager to hear Kent's views.

I certainly have a bias since my company manufactures these, but the iPro Aviator might be an option for you to consider. The kneeboard fits the iPad like a glove and the clipboard is intentionally shorter so that it can be opened and closed without interfering with the yoke. Here's the link: www.ForPilotsOnly.com

iProAviator400.jpg

I certainly have a bias since my company manufactures these, but the iPro Aviator might be an option for you to consider. The kneeboard fits the iPad like a glove and the clipboard is intentionally shorter so that it can be opened and closed without interfering with the yoke. Here's the link: www.ForPilotsOnly.com

iProAviator400.jpg
I've tried a few of the kneeboard solutions and am not interested in mounting,

I'll admit to the iPro being my second favorite solution. The one I've been using most often these days is the Apple Smartcover (I have an iPad 1) on my lap and then putting it aside when not actively using it (yes, like paper charts, i'm not always looking at it).

I have both a kneeboard and a RAM yoke mount for my iPad. Once I got the angle adjusted right, I have found that I prefer the yoke mount in my 170. I usually only use the kneeboard if I am flying in a rental and need to mount my Garmin Aera on the yoke or I am flying an airplane with a stick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Adam, I use the RAM mount for my iPad and I am pleased with it. I found that the best configuration in the C152 is to use the yoke clamp and turn the tray upside down. It allows it to hang down a little further on the yoke and has little effect on my view of the instruments. I also have the RAM suction cup but haven't used that.

My flight bag is in my car. Let me know if you want me to stop by Wings one day after work and you can try it in some planes before you buy anything.

Jim

I also use the RAM yoke mount and really like having my iPad right in front of me. I have mine adjusted so that it hangs down over the yoke and does not block my instruments. The tray portion of the mount that the iPad clips to can be unscrewed from the yoke clip portion if needed and rotated to find the optimum orientation.

When I got my IPad this past Christmas, I immediately started trying to decide what sort of mount I wanted. My wife gave me a Targus keyboard with the IPad. When folded out, the leather case of the keyboard makes it cling very well in my lap. I flew once with it in my lap and never lifted a finger after that to look for a mount. I've flown about 70 or so hours with it in my lap and it works GREAT!

Hope this helps.

I have one of those Case Crown protective cases for my Ipad, and folded in the open position it's pretty secure in my lap and it doesn't slide around. It's too awkward to mount the Ipad on the yoke in the Arrow (obscures too much instrumentation) but I've have the best luck just sitting it in my lap, or in the seat next to me. I don't find a kneeboard mount to be useful because I like to move it around.

One thing that is fairly key is you really need some way to reduce glare off the screen. I use the Splash anti-glare film - works great.

Every pilot I've flow with who has an iPad has always had me hold the pad for them. That could be the best and least expensive answer from what folks are posting. I'll be eager to hear Kent's views.

I hand mine off to Mary when she is flying right seat ;). I'll hold it or lean it against my throttle quadrant when briefing an approach then set it on my knee board. My iPad has the rubber type case so no slips. During cruise I will set it behind the front right seat in front of the vent to always keep cool air on the unit and an easy reach without having to look for it.

mine fits nicely in my flight bag, I don't remember the last time I took it out, I'm not sure why I would have. I have a knee board I'll trade you for the cheapest iPad case you can find, it even has an equally worthless aluminum clipboard on it. I also have a RAM yoke mount I'll throw in so you can be double miserable. I'm much more happy with the Bonanza "between the yokes" clipboard holding a paper chart and an aviation GPS on the yoke. Some folks love em, but I think you have to get glossy eyed when you see the apple logo and go into denial about how bad it sucks trying to find a place to put it (there's not one) in most GA planes. Oh and make sure you fly a high wing or fly at night/in IMC when the sun pops out, it's over for readability.

I hand mine off to Mary when she is flying right seat ;). I'll hold it or lean it against my throttle quadrant when briefing an approach then set it on my knee board. My iPad has the rubber type case so no slips. During cruise I will set it behind the front right seat in front of the vent to always keep cool air on the unit and an easy reach without having to look for it.

I was thinking about that option but Mary is pretty expensive compared to even the most pricy RAM mount.:wink2:

I'm working on a mount something like this:
http://www.sail2000.com/products/snapit/images/Gooseneck-seatMount_w640.jpg

I didn't want a yoke mount (too tight) and I didn't think a knee mount was right for me either (too clumsy) so I went with a RAM mount that will place the iPad between the seats, easy to see and not blocking other instruments. One piece still has to arrive from Amazon before my final install, but so far it looks promising.

mine fits nicely in my flight bag, I don't remember the last time I took it out, I'm not sure why I would have. I have a knee board I'll trade you for the cheapest iPad case you can find, it even has an equally worthless aluminum clipboard on it. I also have a RAM yoke mount I'll throw in so you can be double miserable. I'm much more happy with the Bonanza "between the yokes" clipboard holding a paper chart and an aviation GPS on the yoke. Some folks love em, but I think you have to get glossy eyed when you see the apple logo and go into denial about how bad it sucks trying to find a place to put it (there's not one) in most GA planes. Oh and make sure you fly a high wing or fly at night/in IMC when the sun pops out, it's over for readability.

Sounds like someone that needs to download the thirty day free trial version of Foreflight so that his IPad will be worth keeping around.

I have a yoke mount as well and find it blocks my instruments. You guys that are doing this talk about mounting it lower. You have a photo?

If my wife is along she holds it.

I have a yoke mount as well and find it blocks my instruments. You guys that are doing this talk about mounting it lower. You have a photo?

If my wife is along she holds it.

it might depends on the mount you have. This one, the mount is off center, so you can turn it around, depending on your setup.

AP8UIU3.jpg

Oh I see. I have a Ram mount so should be like that. Will check this weekend. Weather permitting I want to fly to Savannah.

Sounds like someone that needs to download the thirty day free trial version of Foreflight so that his IPad will be worth keeping around.

Have WingX, FF (one year subscription), Garmin Pilot (Month to month) and tried the Anywheremap software out. Still got my sporty's chart subscription. It's fine software, but the iPad isn't an aviation toy, it's consumer level designed for cumbersome email typing, messing up what you meant to type so you can enjoy erasing it and typing it again but, it's mainly for playing angry birds indoors and getting to talk about it with other people that are in the cult. Put FF on the 796 hardware and form factor, then come talk to me. In real life, I have yet to meet a person who owns an iPad and has done any amount of flying with it that feels differently. They're probably nice in the front office of a 737 or something, in a cramped spam can, no thanks.

Ok hopefully we won't beat a dead horse like in the Nexus vs.Ipad thread. But need some advice regarding the iPad. I just got a 64gb iPad. Actually I didn't have to decide between the iPad and Nexus as the decision was made for me by our township.

That's cool!! 3g data service as well?

......does one even need the mounts and kneeboards its it just better to just toss it on the pax seat and pick it up now and then like a chart?

Hmmm.... if you are going to use it as a "chart", why not just use the chart?? What does the iPad do that your Garmin doesn't already do? Admittantly, I'm not up on the capacities of the iPad for aviation use, just never saw the need for VFR flight. I can see where it would be useful IFR.

Gary

I have just about 1 each mount for the iPad. I'll let you try them out before you jump and waste money and not like them. Glare shield mount, suction cup , yoke and kneeboard.
Also have a stratus u can try out too

Sent from my iPhone
using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This is the solution I use. I like it.

Attachments

• IMAG0087.jpg
    IMAG0087.jpg
    482.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMAG0088.jpg
    IMAG0088.jpg
    464.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMAG0089.jpg
    IMAG0089.jpg
    638.5 KB · Views: 65

If you reversed it, and put the long on on the mount, going as straight back as posable, and the use the short one on the clamp, wouldn't that give you a little more legroom?

I have the Sporty's iPad kneeboard, http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/15935. It doesn't interfere with the yoke for me. It also has a tilt feature that can be used before and after takeoff and in cruise flight, to reduce glare. I also tried sticking the iPad to the passenger side window and a few other places, but it obstructed too much of my view. I haven't tried the glare shield mount for the iPad. I'm thinking it would be too heavy to mount there.

There is another yoke mount option, but the only issue is that the price is ridiculous, http://www.ipadyokemounts.com/about.html. I don't have it, but saw a video on YouTube about it. It's supposed to keep the iPad lower on the yoke so it doesn't block any instruments. Only for Cessna's though.

Ahh, you added the long arm and the barbell. Cool. Makes the angle easier.

It gives it a great angle. Lays it back right where I want it so I can glance straight down and catch any info I need very quickly. Comes in handy if I've suddenly forgotten what the missed info is (I'm sure most everyone else can always memorize it).

If you reversed it, and put the long on on the mount, going as straight back as posable, and the use the short one on the clamp, wouldn't that give you a little more legroom?

I've never had a legroom issue. I may play with it someday, but mostly I like to fly and not play with the gizmos so much. :wink2:

It gives it a great angle. Lays it back right where I want it so I can glance straight down and catch any info I need very quickly. Comes in handy if I've suddenly forgotten what the missed info is (I'm sure most everyone else can always memorize it).

Oh hell no. I memorize and then start second guessing. One peek fixes it. ;)

They're probably nice in the front office of a 737 or something, in a cramped spam can, no thanks.

My 182 is not cramped. My iPad2 flies on my yoke mount every single time. ForeFlight is an excellent tool in my 50 year old bird.

I used to loathe Apple, too. But you have to tip the hat to a good tool. The iPad with FF is such a tool. If I were not a pilot I would have bought some other manufacturer's tablet. But for GA in a non-glass cockpit I really don't see a better option.

I have the Sporty's iPad kneeboard. It doesn't interfere with the yoke for me. It also has a tilt feature that can be used before and after takeoff and in cruise flight, to reduce glare. I also tried sticking the iPad to the passenger side window and a few other places, but it obstructed too much of my view. I haven't tried the glare shield mount for the iPad. I'm thinking it would be too heavy to mount there.

There is another yoke mount option, but the only issue is that the price is ridiculous. The website is ipadyokemounts. (Apparently i'm not allowed to post links). I don't have it, but saw a video on YouTube about it. It's supposed to keep the iPad lower on the yoke so it doesn't block any instruments. Only for Cessna's though.

Now why didnt i think of that. I will have to try that this weekend. I have also mounted it on the pass side yoke when by myself.

I have yet to meet a person who owns an iPad and has done any amount of flying with it that feels differently. They're probably nice in the front office of a 737 or something, in a cramped spam can, no thanks.

Hello, Rusty! Meet Tim!

I have over 400 hours in my 182 w/the iPad mounted to the yoke and love it there. Like Morne, I don't find it cramped at all and I've never found it to not be readable.

I'm not an Apple fan either but the iPad/ForeFlight combination is a good one.

Adam, I, like many others, yoke mount and turn the cradle and the iPad upside down. I'll try to get a photo next time I'm at the hangar and post it here.

One thing I didn't see mentioned yet, is that having the iPad mounted instead of laying loose is more conducive to plugging it in to the audio panel's aux input for listening to tunes while flying (I have something like 5000 songs on my iPad). My aux input is lower left on the panel so the yoke mount makes hooking up convenient.

Last edited:
I've tried using a kneeboard such as this version http://www.mygoflight.com/ipad-kneeboard-pro-c/

However, as a Flight Instructor I find it cumbersome to change from portrait to landscape view and also during maneuvers or landing, there is a chance for the yoke to hit my iPad while on my lap therefore, I just toss my iPad in the back seat.

I use the ZooGue http://www.zoogue.com/
It protects my iPad very well and I normally just have it laying on my lap while flying.

All the best,
Darren

Last edited:
Hello, Rusty! Meet Tim!

I have over 400 hours in my 182 w/the iPad mounted to the yoke and love it there. Like Morne, I don't find it cramped at all and I've never found it to not be readable.

I'm not an Apple fan either but the iPad/ForeFlight combination is a good one.

Adam, I, like many others, yoke mount and turn the cradle and the iPad upside down. I'll try to get a photo next time I'm at the hangar and post it here.

One thing I didn't see mentioned yet, is that having the iPad mounted instead of laying loose is more conducive to plugging it in to the audio panel's aux input for listening to tunes while flying (I have something like 5000 songs on my iPad). My aux input is lower left on the panel so the yoke mount makes hooking up convenient.

I know how the herd mentality on message boards work :D I'm saying met, as in at the airport where people fly planes, shake hands and lie to each other face to face and don't participate in online message boards where other people tell them what they should love. I'm not saying that FF isn't the greatest software ever made. Just that the iPad form factor was not designed with aviation in mind. It's too bulky, the screen is to dim, the GPS is flaky. The fact that there are a gigazillian threads and posts on various aviation boards asking "Where do I mount it?" and "What anti-glare screen protector should I buy?" ought to tell the uninitiated that maybe some folks are just trying to shove a square peg into a round hole over a toy they spent some money on and are going to "make it work" come hell or high water. I know FF is cool and I know people dump a lot of money into their iThings so there's some emotion involved. At the end of the day all that really matters is if the user of said iPad is happy. My advice for anyone who doesn't have one, go to any aviation board and count the number of "How do I mount this behemoth in my plane? How do I get the screen brighter?" threads then go count the number of them for an Aera 796 or similar.

Back