iPad mounts and kneeboards

LOL 50.49% of people on voluntary INTERNET poll asking about iPads. 50.49% of the pilots i know don't even have an email address to be sent an AOPA Smart Brief daily spam mail. I'm actually shocked it's that low. I'd figure people who surf their smart brief everyday and take the time to fill out a poll about iPads would be the target demographic for using iPads. I don't typically fill out polls about things I don't use.

competition-demotivational-poster-1220388771.jpg

Where the hell do you live man? I can not think of a single person I know, that doesn't have an email address.

My plane is parked in the beautiful Bitterroot Valley of western Montana at a small FBO that mainly does 135 work for fire fighting and timber spotting planes and helicopters, there's an EAA chapter on the field and plenty of E/AB airplanes around. In any given week I'll run into 20 pilots, I'll see one, maybe 2 with an iPad, currently I know myself and 2 others that own one, only one of us doesn't have buyer's remorse, he owns a King Air. No CFI that teaches at the flight school (there's 4) have them, they've all tried them out but said no thanks. None of the 135 guys use them (again tried but no thanks). I don't see very many people at KMSO with them.

Win by attrition. I think it's funny that folks can't accept the fact that their Angry Birds console is just that to some people. An iPad is an EXCELLENT device for playing Angry Birds at the FBO.

Just wait until they make a single use Angry Birds device that cost 6 times as much, and is tailor made to play Angry Birds.

Once that happens, I am sure someone will come to a forum and trash the use of the obviously inferrer iPad for attempting such a thing.

The by far best part about an iPad/Android tablet as a cockpit tool, is it's so many more things then you realize when you buy it.

For example, I have used this now three times, and love it.

http://cloudahoy.com/S/about.html

I had no clue that existed when I chose to have these tools in my aircraft. I am also excited about the dozens of tools that aren't even written yet, that in a few years I will be using on these things.

Your Aera, while very good at what it does, is all it's ever going to be.

Just wait until they make a single use Angry Birds device that cost 6 times as much, and is tailor made to play Angry Birds.

Once that happens, I am sure someone will come to a forum and trash the use of the obviously inferrer iPad for attempting such a thing.

Just returning the favor to the collective who trashed me for buying a $150 AV8OR and suggesting it was "a good deal". If i have to pick up one or the other for a flight, the AV8OR is coming with me.

Didn't mean to trash anyone, just the device and the idea that it's a great tool for aviation. It's a semi functional aviation tool not meant to be an aviation tool. Just my 2 cents on the OP's question about what mount and or kneeboard, my answer is "There isn't a good one don't waste your time or money trying to make them work, put it in your flight bag and be happy that it is what it is" I even PMed him and offered to send him my RAM mount free of charge, I don't want it, it's useless. I've had an iPad in the plane with me for 100 hours or more, first 5 hrs it was on my knee, next 5 hrs it was on the yoke, next 90 hours were spent in my flight bag.

The funny part is, the day the AV8OR came in, I let everyone at the hangar see it and ranted on about how good of a deal it was, went back today and there were AV8ORs in every plane and not an iPad in site... one guy bought two.

Win by attrition. I think it's funny that folks can't accept the fact that their Angry Birds console is just that to some people. An iPad is an EXCELLENT device for playing Angry Birds at the FBO.

I think its funny that people can't realize that just because THEY hate something, doesn't mean that everyone else feels the same way. What harm is it to you if someone loves their iPad, and vice versa to them. I love mine for Foreflight (it's about the only thing I use my iPad for), but I understand that it's not for everyone, and I don't particularly care what another person uses. I use what works well for me, they do the same, everybody is happy.

I think its funny that people can't realize that just because THEY hate something, doesn't mean that everyone else feels the same way. What harm is it to you if someone loves their iPad, and vice versa to them. I love mine for Foreflight (it's about the only thing I use my iPad for), but I understand that it's not for everyone, and I don't particularly care what another person uses. I use what works well for me, they do the same, everybody is happy.

If you wuvv your ipad I'm overcome with joy for you. I'll go have a beer to celebrate right now! I don't care if you mount it to the prop and like it that way best, no skin off my back. I stated my opinion about the OP's plight without being provoked, just threw my 2 cents in and summarily got told why I was wrong, so I felt compelled to back up my claims. But mostly, the smoke has filled the valley to where it's IFR and going outside isn't something I want to do right now, I'm just bored and like arguing on the internet. Especially about something as meaningless as an iPad. :D I was also duped into buying one from the praise laid on the iPad on this very site, so i want the next sucker to see that there are lots of us out there who aren't so giddy over it.

Last edited:
I stated my opinion about the OP's plight without being provoked, just threw my 2 cents in and summarily got told why I was wrong, so I felt compelled to back up my claims.

Now your the victim. That's funny. :)

You basically entered a thread, where anyone who enters is going to do so as an iPad user, and stated this clame:

Some things are closer to perfection than others. Take me for example :rofl: If you're happy with your iPad, great. I hate mine and don't personally know anyone except a King Air pilot who like theirs. Just tryin' to warn others before they pick up that glass of Kool-Aid.

And this:

Or OP could spend 200 to 300 bucks on various mounts and gizmos only to have a pile of them at the house. "In your flight bag" is where I'd recommend mounting it.

No one here is telling you that what your using is wrong. However those lines above imply that you think anyone who uses an iPad just drank the Kool-Aid, and the only place it should be while in flight, is in your flight bag.

You didn't expect anyone to ague those points?

Last edited:
If you wuvv your ipad I'm overcome with joy for you. I'll go have a beer to celebrate right now! I don't care if you mount it to the prop and like it that way best, no skin off my back. I stated my opinion about the OP's plight without being provoked, just threw my 2 cents in and summarily got told why I was wrong, so I felt compelled to back up my claims. But mostly, the smoke has filled the valley to where it's IFR and going outside isn't something I want to do right now, I'm just bored and like arguing on the internet. Especially about something as meaningless as an iPad. :D I was also duped into buying one from the praise laid on the iPad on this very site, so i want the next sucker to see that there are lots of us out there who aren't so giddy over it.

Did you even READ my post? :mad2:

Now your the victim. That's funny. :)

You basically entered a thread, where anyone who enters is going to do so as an iPad users, and stated this clame:

And this:

No one here is telling you that what your using is wrong. However those lines above imply that you think anyone who uses an iPad just drank the Kool-Aid, and the only place it should be while in flight, is in your flight bag.

You didn't expect anyone to ague those points?

You're reading a lot more into what I said and applying it to yourself on a personal level.

I have at this very moment an iPad in my flight bag. It went on the last flight I made 2 days ago and was with me on the way to the airport this morning. I too am an iPad user. I surely do think there's a lot of Kool-Aid drinking going on, I drank it myself. My warning was that I myself think I was duped and I know quite a few others who do too. It was a warning, nothing personal against anyone, some folks love Kool-Aid, nothing wrong with that. I still recommend mounting it "In your flight bag". Would have saved me a lot of trouble and a couple hundred bucks had I known the conclusion about iPad's I was going to come to up front.

Read my thread that was taken a dump all over when I suggested AV8ORs were a good buy at $150 bucks

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51921

not much white knighting for the AV8OR there.

Pick up an Aera mount and Pick up a hacked together ram mount, you'll see the difference. RAM couldn't design a mount that works as nice because the hardware their designing for wasn't designed with Yoke mounting in mind, or even as an afterthought. The Garmin setup is a system, designed from the ground up to be aviation friendly. And yes the Area is a cockpit navigation device, the iPad is a general consumer grade entertainment device.

Haven't seen the Aera mount but have had Various Garmin yoke mounts for the last 14 years and haven't seen one with the quality of my RAM mount. The last Garmin mount got swapped for the one that came with my original Lowrance GPS from the mid 90s. Now THAT wasb(still is) a good yoke mount.

But the world obviously looks different where you are, so I guess it's good to have multiple options for multiple people so we can all be happy.

Haven't seen the Aera mount but have had Various Garmin yoke mounts for the last 14 years and haven't seen one with the quality of my RAM mount. The last Garmin mount got swapped for the one that came with my original Lowrance GPS from the mid 90s. Now THAT wasb(still is) a good yoke mount.

But the world obviously looks different where you are, so I guess it's good to have multiple options for multiple people so we can all be happy.

Here is a stock Aera 5XX Yoke mount from Garmin, nothing RAM makes that I have seen compares to the quality of the build. (I don't even own a Garmin)

20100516210518572_1_original.jpg

Note how all the wiring is in the mount. All you have to do is press a button and the GPS pops off, you can route your power wires and others into the yoke and never have to touch it again... Press button, take GPS, done. The mount is rock solid, designed to carry the weight of the GPS, it doesn't worm around and require re-tightenting and the Area isn't heavy so it doesn't vibrated during the flight. It's also completly out of the way in any GA plane I've seen them in, it's not stuck awkwardly to the window, it's doesn't obstruct your view of the panel, it doesn't interfere with your controls and it's not stuck on your knee. It doesn't get off center in flight and make you take your plane to a mechanic to have the plane re-rigged to compensate for it's weight.

50.49% of the pilots i know don't even have an email address to be sent an AOPA Smart Brief daily spam mail.

Thanks for the clarification on the demographic you've been referring to in your posts. Half the people you hang with still live in a world of 30 years ago. I now believe everything you've shared about their attitudes towards recent technologies. NDB approaches worked just fine for a lot of people for decades.

For the rest of us, we're enjoying the benefits consumer technology is making available in the cockpit.

Thanks for the clarification on the demographic you've been referring to in your posts. Half the people you hang with still live in a world of 30 years ago. I now believe everything you've shared about their attitudes towards recent technologies. NDB approaches worked just fine for a lot of people for decades.

For the rest of us, we're enjoying the benefits consumer technology is making available in the cockpit.

I'll pass along to the guy with the complete glass panel (with SVT) and a 530W in his Cessna 150 that he's out of date. He probably has all that because he realized he wasn't going to get by with modern day general consumer grade entertainment devices. (I disagreed with his latest purchase, an AoA indicator, I told him I thought it was pointless, bought it anyway and he likes it, neither one of us care). My hangar partner owns a 17 year old King Air, he does fly with an iPad but only uses the Jeppesen software to display plates on, his panel is a little dated compared to the spam cans around the airport and I figure he has just enough room to keep the iPad up front with him. Would you like for me to relay anything to Charles Schwab or Dennis Washington about how behind the times they are? You think their Gulfsreams' or 737's are capable of safe navigation without such modern technology as iPads? :D

Here is a stock Aera 5XX Yoke mount from Garmin, nothing RAM makes that I have seen compares to the quality of the build. (I don't even own a Garmin

Yep...that's the same yoke mount laying on the shelf in my garage, minus the quick release for the Aera. I'm thinking of slapping some Velcro on it and my Nexus and using that as the mount for it.

But it's not anywhere near the component quality of my RAM gear.

Yep...that's the same yoke mount laying on the shelf in my garage, minus the quick release for the Aera. I'm thinking of slapping some Velcro on it and my Nexus and using that as the mount for it.

But it's not anywhere near the component quality of my RAM gear.

My RAM mount (free to anyone who wants it) is 2 pay grades less quality than the Garmin mount. metal vs cheap, flexible plastic that vibrates. no contest IMHO.

I'll pass along to the guy with the complete glass panel (with SVT) and a 530W in his Cessna 150 that he's out of date.

Another excellent data point. So you're saying at least some of this crowd is certifiably crazy!

I get it. To each their own!

My RAM mount (free to anyone who wants it) is 2 pay grades less quality than the Garmin mount. metal vs cheap, flexible plastic that vibrates. no contest IMHO.

My Garmin mount is all plastic. My RAM mount is all metal. Again, I guess we're living in alternate universes.

I'll pass along to the guy with the complete glass panel (with SVT) and a 530W in his Cessna 150 that he's out of date. He probably has all that because he realized he wasn't going to get by with modern day general consumer grade entertainment devices. (I disagreed with his latest purchase, an AoA indicator, I told him I thought it was pointless, bought it anyway and he likes it, neither one of us care). My hangar partner owns a 17 year old King Air, he does fly with an iPad but only uses the Jeppesen software to display plates on, his panel is a little dated compared to the spam cans around the airport and I figure he has just enough room to keep the iPad up front with him. Would you like for me to relay anything to Charles Schwab or Dennis Washington about how behind the times they are? You think their Gulfsreams' or 737's are capable of safe navigation without such modern technology as iPads? :D

Don't worry about it man. Being half of those guys don't have email addresses, I would hate for you to have to make the drive on our account.

Don't worry about it man. Being half of those guys don't have email addresses, I would hate for you to have to make the drive on our account.

No no, they're at my airport, no special trip needed. Dennis and Charles might have email address... They haven't given them to me though :). Last time I saw Charles he had Mitt Romeny in the heli with him, for some reason I didn't get to go talk iPads with him :) I only talk to their pilots though, never talked about iPad's with them, but then again, I've never seen them with an iPad either. I seriously doubt the guy with the SVT has an email address.. He's older than snail mail but loves panel goodies, Actually I'll take a picture of his panel next time he has it pulled out. It is ridiculous for an old Cessna 150 (though he does have the 150HP conversion in it).

Another excellent data point. So you're saying at least some of this crowd is certifiably crazy!

I get it. To each their own!

Nope not crazy, a realist. He likes his Cessna 150/150 it's all the airframe and engine he needs and wants to maximize his airplane money for safety reasons. If All glass with SVT fits that criteria an iPad doesn't. He could have bought more plane and less panel but he wouldn't have been able to afford the panel he wanted in it and had a plane that was twice as expensive to operate and probably less reliable. His mission is weekend trips to football games in the area, his 150/150 works fine and will do much more for him than an A36 steam gauge plane with an iPad. I think the AoA was a little over the top and a waste of money, but as we have seen, not everyone takes my advice on how to spend their money :D

I use what's called a "Snake Clamp" Its a very strong magnetic base with a flexible "pipe" that has an Ipad mount on the top. It is easy to adjust yet strong enough to stay in place. I had to attach a small metal plate on the aluminum floor so the magnet would work...easy to remove it not needed. Very nice and not too expensive.

You can "google" SNAKE CLAMP if you are interested...I have no association with the company..just a happy customer.

No no, they're at my airport, no special trip needed. Dennis and Charles might have email address... They haven't given them to me though :). Last time I saw Charles he had Mitt Romeny in the heli with him, for some reason I didn't get to go talk iPads with him :) I only talk to their pilots though, never talked about iPad's with them, but then again, I've never seen them with an iPad either. I seriously doubt the guy with the SVT has an email address.. He's older than snail mail but loves panel goodies, Actually I'll take a picture of his panel next time he has it pulled out. It is ridiculous for an old Cessna 150 (though he does have the 150HP conversion in it).

I assume anyone with an aircraft, does a little online shopping. Unless you just go to the website and call an 800 number, you need an email address.

Hell, everyone with an ISP has an email address, even if they don't know it ;)

I use what's called a "Snake Clamp" Its a very strong magnetic base with a flexible "pipe" that has an Ipad mount on the top. It is easy to adjust yet strong enough to stay in place. I had to attach a small metal plate on the aluminum floor so the magnet would work...easy to remove it not needed. Very nice and not too expensive.

You can "google" SNAKE CLAMP if you are interested...I have no association with the company..just a happy customer.

Sir, can you please not post on topic answers, while we are talking about everything under the sun that's not an iPad clamp, or a kneed board?

The content relative to the OP's question threw me off.

Thank you :)

P.S. Welcome to PoA! :)

My Garmin mount is all plastic. My RAM mount is all metal. Again, I guess we're living in alternate universes.

My RAM stuff is also metal for the mounts, covered in what essentially looks like plasti-dip.

Looking at the photo of the Garmin mount, it looks like their thumb wheel is a press fit, whereas I believe the RAM has a screw and washer retaining theirs (will have to look closer at it) and a far larger shank on the plastic if it,s not. Yoke clamps are also metal with rubberized coating.

I have a strange feeling someone bought a cheap knock-off somewhere by mistake, if theirs is plastic.

:needpics:

I believe someone's making those with clamps that will attach to Cessna seat rails, and a RAM ball on top, for those who want to try putting things off to the side instead of on the yoke. Can't find the link right at the moment.

They're kinda like what you see microphones on a podium affixed to, but much stiffer. Dad uses one for the control head of a two-way radio in his car, attached to a seat bolt arrangement. Doesn't move or wiggle much at all.

I believe someone's making those with clamps that will attach to Cessna seat rails, and a RAM ball on top, for those who want to try putting things off to the side instead of on the yoke. Can't find the link right at the moment.

They're kinda like what you see microphones on a podium affixed to, but much stiffer. Dad uses one for the control head of a two-way radio in his car, attached to a seat bolt arrangement. Doesn't move or wiggle much at all.

RAM was making it .

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResu...45066045049051049045065080056085/Default.aspx

RAM-B-131-AP8U2.jpg

Where the hell do you live man? I can not think of a single person I know, that doesn't have an email address.

No kidding. My 90-year-old grandmother living in the middle of PA has an email address.

I would recommend against such a solution simply because the "strong magnetic base" is likely to interfere with your aircraft's compass.

Of course, the iPad 2 and "3" also contain a magnet for the Smart Cover, which has led to compass/DG squawks in the club planes followed by enough "diagnostic" time by the shop that we could have just bought the club an iPad and tested it ourselves. :mad2:

Hmmm.... if you are going to use it as a "chart", why not just use the chart?? What does the iPad do that your Garmin doesn't already do? Admittantly, I'm not up on the capacities of the iPad for aviation use, just never saw the need for VFR flight. I can see where it would be useful IFR.

Gary,

Quite a few things - While I'm instrument rated and travel a lot, I generally fly VFR unless weather or operations (ie this past weekend's trip into the SFRA) dictates otherwise.

Here's a few things that ForeFlight does that are helpful to the VFR-only pilot and beat the heck out of charts:

1) You always have current charts, even if the new ones come out when you're away from home and at a tiny airport that doesn't sell 'em. It's a helluva lot easier to find an internet connection than an FBO that sells charts these days. You can also get any chart you need.

2) It not only replaces charts, it replaces A/FD's and basically all the other paper in the cockpit. You can use additional apps for checklists, GPS flight tracking (ie get the track after the flight), and numerous other things. In fact, there are many uses for it on the ground after you reach your destination too - A quick check on what the weather's doing, a map to get around in the courtesy car, etc.

3) Flight planning and weather briefings - No more calls to LockMart. You can file a flight plan (and get verification that it was actually filed), get an official DUATS briefing that's split into its various sections to be easier to read, get lots of different weather maps, plan your flight via typing in waypoints on the keyboard or by tapping spots on the chart, and then see what the weather is like relative to where you're flying by showing over a dozen different weather map products right on the chart with your route showing. (example - you can get a map showing the ceiling, visibility, wind, etc. from the latest METAR right on the chart.)

4) It costs about $40/year just to keep one sectional and one A/FD up to date. ForeFlight is $75/year for the entire US. If you go anywhere, it'll pay for itself in a hurry! (Between ForeFlight and books, my iPad paid for itself in a little over a year. And yes, I mean the iPad itself, not just the FF subscription.)

I'm sure you'll find more - It's a great tool, and pretty fun for planning fantasy flights as well! :goofy:

No kidding. My 90-year-old grandmother living in the middle of PA has an email address.

For reference, my father was 57 years old, ran 3 businesses. No email address. People who remember the 60's don't find them near as important as people born in the 90s.

You can mitigate some of the glare with a $30 piece of plastic but the sun will wash out the picture no matter screen setting.

The single most important thing to do to prevent the iPad from washing out is to point it directly at yourself rather than having it at an angle where you're reflecting the sun or bright sky at your face. I don't think any of the anti-glare screen covers will help enough if you're still reflecting the sun at yourself.

This is what I do, and I do NOT have an anti-glare cover on my screen because I don't like the way it feels. I don't have brightness problems. Generally I'll have the brightness at or slightly below the halfway setting unless I'm flying on top of an undercast where the sun plus the reflection off the top of the clouds makes for a painfully bright environment - Then I do turn it all the way up. At night, I turn the brightness all the way down and use ForeFlight's brightness-reducing setting to get it further down to a comfortable level.

Every pilot I've flow with who has an iPad has always had me hold the pad for them. That could be the best and least expensive answer from what folks are posting. I'll be eager to hear Kent's views.

Adam,

I use a RAM mount setup that I came up with myself - None of their pre-packaged setups are as flexible as this. Since I fly both yoke (Mooney, C182) and stick (DA40) airplanes, I bought the parts to do both yoke mount and suction cup mount. Here's what I've got:

1) Yoke Clamp Base with 1" Rubber Ball and 1/4-20" Tap for Camera or Video
2) 3.25" Diameter Suction Cup Twist Lock Base with 1" Ball
3) Double 1" Ball Adapter
4) "B" (Medium) Arm
5) "A" (Short) Arm
6) iPad Cradle
7) Two 2.5" 2.5" Round Base with the AMPs Hole Pattern & 1" Ball

Obviously I'm not using the suction cup and the yoke mount at the same time, but all the rest of the parts are in use. Here's a top view of it mounted in the DA40 which shows the double-ball connector and both arms:

attachment.php

Having two arms and the double-ball connector allows for a lot more positioning flexibility, so it works in both the DA40 and the yoked airplanes as well as my car.

In the 182 and Mooney, I use the yoke clamp, then run one arm from that towards me, and then the ball and the second arm allow for it to "bend" down over the front of the yoke so that the iPad is centered better.

Here's some pictures of it in the DA40:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hope this helps!

For reference, my father was 57 years old, ran 3 businesses. No email address. People who remember the 60's don't find them near as important as people born in the 90s.

My grandmother wasn't born in the 90's... Nor was I. Besides, those young'uns don't use email, they use Facebook. :rofl:

And yes, at points in time prior to the 90's, next to nobody had email. But to no longer have an email address today is quite rare. It's an accepted, ubiquitous form of communication that is very useful. I don't think I know a single person without it.

I find it easier to just put it on top of my kneeboard, it faster to use and move when you need to do so.

The single most important thing to do to prevent the iPad from washing out is to point it directly at yourself rather than having it at an angle where you're reflecting the sun or bright sky at your face. I don't think any of the anti-glare screen covers will help enough if you're still reflecting the sun at yourself.
The best thing I have found is to wear dark shirts because they won't reflect on the iPad screen like light ones do. You would be amazed at the difference between wearing navy blue or black compared to white or yellow. ;)

The best thing I have found is to wear dark shirts because they won't reflect on the iPad screen like light ones do. You would be amazed at the difference between wearing navy blue or black compared to white or yellow. ;)

Yes, that too! :yes: But if you have the iPad reflecting blue sky, it won't matter what color shirt you're wearing.

BTW, I find it humorous that all the people who used to poo-poo the iPad because of the reflectivity of the screen and talk about how Garmin gear was so much better, are now mostly the same people who are touting Android devices, despite their screens being just as reflective as the iPad's. ;)

Back