iPad Mini death watch, 9/12/2018 edition

asicer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
asicer
Looks like it's still on life support. Interesting that it and the old (non-4k) AppleTV are the only products to use the 4 year old A8 chip. Everything else is A10 and up.

I,m thinking about using the new iPhone Max. Screen size is sufficient for yoke mount I think, thoughts?
Dave

I,m thinking about using the new iPhone Max. Screen size is sufficient for yoke mount I think, thoughts?
Dave

For the price of the Max there are several other non certified options that would be even better navigation aids. I’ll probably buy a spare Mini4 before they disappear.

Dave
The iPad Mini is 7.9" the XS Max is 6.5". I am not sure I would want to go smaller than the Mini for ForeFlight.

The iPad Mini is 7.9" the XS Max is 6.5". I am not sure I would want to go smaller than the Mini for ForeFlight.

And the iPad software versus the iPhone fore flight version has a different lesser feature set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the price of the Max there are several other non certified options that would be even better navigation aids. I’ll probably buy a spare Mini4 before they disappear.
For the price of the Max you can buy a Macbook (maybe even a Macbook Pro). Anyone tried mounting one and running the web based Foreflight? (I kid, I kid)

And the iPad software versus the iPhone fore flight version has a different lesser feature set.

I wasn't aware of that, thanks. My original iPad mini is on it's last legs, need to do something.

I wasn't aware of that, thanks. My original iPad mini is on it's last legs, need to do something.

Buy the latest one available so you have one if it’s discontinued....

Buy the latest one available so you have one if it’s discontinued....
Factory refurbs will probably continue to be available a couple years after being discontinued.

For those noting the difference in the diagonal screen measurement between the mini and plus size iPhones is small here’s a mini vs a 6 plus...

1BF63B33-1070-403E-B2AE-6A289EA80925.jpeg

It’s not even close.

I’m personally pretty disappointed there was no announcement yesterday. I am again facing the choice of buying the already long outdated mini 4 and the too large IMO standard iPad.

For those noting the difference in the diagonal screen measurement between the mini and plus size iPhones is small here’s a mini vs a 6 plus...

View attachment 67099

It’s not even close.

I’m personally pretty disappointed there was no announcement yesterday. I am again facing the choice of buying the already long outdated mini 4 and the too large IMO standard iPad.
6/7/8 Plus is 5.5 inches. XS Max is 6.5 inches. It's getting much closer to the Mini.

The mini fits perfectly on my yoke mounts, no desire for bigger.

upload_2018-9-13_10-50-50.png

upload_2018-9-13_10-51-27.png

6/7/8 Plus is 5.5 inches. XS Max is 6.5 inches. It's getting much closer to the Mini.

Those screen measurements are done on the diagonal from one corner to another. It actually is still a huge size difference when you look at the overall device. Try putting a mini in your pocket.... anything that's "almost" as big would be way too big to use as a phone.

It's unbelievable that they still want $530 for a new 4G one, I paid that three years ago when the line was already old, now its "ancient".

The price of replacement parts for new phones is insane. iPhone X digitizer and screen is almost $400.

On a semi-bright side, it could force FF to offer an Android version if Apple doesn't have an suitable replacement for the iPad Mini.

On a semi-bright side, it could force FF to offer an Android version if Apple doesn't have an suitable replacement for the iPad Mini.

No it want, every representative at the foreflight booth at kosh was using an ipad pro.

It's unbelievable that they still want $530 for a new 4G one, I paid that three years ago when the line was already old, now its "ancient".

I’m pretty sure that I’ll buy the WiFi only version for my backup and get either a Stratux or the new cheap Stratus before I give Apple that much cash for old, old tech. ;)

No it want, every representative at the foreflight booth at kosh was using an ipad pro.

I'm not sure that's an argument to my point. Everyone could jump to the full size iPad, but it appears that a large portion of the FF user base likes the iPad mini form factor instead of the full size version, especially in a tight cockpit. If enough people decide that they don't want to carry around the iPad Pro because they want to yoke-mount it, then they might jump ship for an Android tablet and GP. If FF is sufficiently worried about losing said customers, they will figure out a way to get FF on Android.

Regarding what representatives at FF were using at OSH, prior to Apple recently showing signs of abandoning the 8" tablet market, they'd have no reason to be on anything but an iPad Pro. Especially when those reps are not in a cockpit, so it allows them show off the FF features on a larger screen to John Q Public.

Factory refurbs will probably continue to be available a couple years after being discontinued.

I wouldn't count on it. The iPad Mini 4 is only intermittently available as a refurb right now. I would imagine that as soon as it's officially discontinued, what's left will be quickly snapped up.

It's actually pretty rare that they have an event where both iPads and iPhones are introduced together. They want to have lots of media hype around things, and if they introduce too much, some may get lost in the shuffle.

In fact, the only events where both iPhones and iPads have been debuted together were September 2015 (iPhones 6s/6s Plus and iPad Mini 4 and the original iPad Pro) and March 2016 (iPhone SE and 9.7" iPad Pro).

Generally, iPads are either released in spring (March) or at a later fall event (October) having nothing to do with iPhones. If they're going to do an event in October, I would expect the invites to go out by 10/15.

If they're going to do an event in October, I would expect the invites to go out by 10/15.

That's kind of the last date to do something like that before you miss out on the holiday buying season.

Huh?

Mines plenty fast and works great, also not hard to find a new battery or whatever if needed.

Looks like it's still on life support.
The situation on the Android side is no better. It's either something small like a pack of cigarettes, or stupidly large like a laptop. There's nothing in between anymore. After I sat on my Nexus 7 (during the A2A session with Jack), I bought Huawei M3, which is borderline acceptable, but has some issues (too easy to do a factory reset inadvertently, loaded with Chinese spyware).

iPad Air (9.7") fits nicely on the yoke of PA28 with Ram mount, in portrait mode.

Dave

I'm going to do this as I'm getting the Max anyway (I have the X now). I can't seem to find a good mount for my iPad 10" Pro not to mention it might be a little big for the yoke anyway. The FF phone software doesn't have all the features of the iPad Pro, so I'll continue to use it on the knee or right seat when I need it. But use the Max just for the magenta line, traffic, and weather on the yoke.

iPad Air (9.7") fits nicely on the yoke of PA28 with Ram mount, in portrait mode.
I am probably going to switch. I love my iPad Mini, but the reality is that the numbers didn’t pencil out for Apple. I guess there aren’t enough pilots to move the needle.

I bet I've asked you before, but what mount do you use? I have the 10" Pro. I wonder if would work too even though a little bigger than yours.

Still using my Mini 2. It's not blazing fast, but I don't need speed for what I do with it, which is just to display charts.

I sure hope there’s an iPad mini refresh, but I’m doubtful... every tech blog says it’s dead.

967896f14675935f521a5e98116f9cc3.jpg

I love my iPad Mini 4.
Right now I lean slightly left to see the airspeed, slightly right for the altimeter. I’m afraid the larger 9.7” will block both.

Another vote here for the iPad Mini 4.. or just a mini in general. I find that to be the absolute perfect size whether for flying or not.

Back